Quilting The Kaye Wood Way Week of 11.21.12 - Happy Thanksgiving!

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 21 10:14 AM

      • Holiday Sales
      • On Sale - Lazy Girl Designs
      • New and Updated 6 Hour Quilt Pattern
      • What's New in The Shop - Among Brenda's Quilts
      • Tips and Humor from Kaye
      • TwinStar Mega Collection
      • DVD of the Week
      • Sew Lazy Interfacings
      • Craftsy
      • Another Quiz
      • Kaye's Techniques
      • Love of Quilting
      • Quilting Cruises
      • Thread Care
      • This is the Iron I Want
      • Show and Tell
      • Quilting Events
      • A Note On Sewing Machines
      • This Week In History
      • Kaye's on YouTube

      "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird is donning his bright orange in preparation for the great Northern Michigan holiday - Opening Day of Deer Season.....Follow us!

      We're on Pinterest Now!

      Check out our Lazy Girl Board

      Questions? Email Us!

      Please Visit Our Sponsors, They Help Keep This Newsletter Free!Quilting, Sewing and Crafts Expos

      Any order over $50.00 now ships free to the US!

      Kaye has lots and lots of seminars and teacher certification classes scheduled in Arizona. Check out her schedule HERE

      New Lecture/Demo/Trunk Show scheduled for Phoenix in January....

      Hi Quilters!

      Today at the cabin : One word. Damp! Damp and chilly, the kind of damp and chilly that the woodstove can make quick work of. The farm is close to being ready for winter and for that I am thankful.

      This week we are featuring a couple of pattern sets by Joan Hawley of Lazy Girl Designs. These sets include the pattern and either the interfacings to make them or the Bag-E-Bottoms to make them stand up and not slouch.

      Check them out!

      All on our SALE PAGE

      Alert Alert Alert...

      Holiday Sales Are Here!

      This is our first Holiday Sales newsletter. You will get our main newsletter with all the trimmings on Wednesdays, and a shorter newsletter, to catch you up with our awesome holiday sales on Mondays and Fridays.

      Keep an eye out, we've got some pretty cool ideas lined up for you!

      What's On Sale....

      3 Select Patterns plus interfacings, vinyl or bag-e-bottoms to go with them.They are all guaranteed to be easy and fun, quick too, perfect to make for gifts.Need more interfacing, vinyl or bag-e-bottoms? We've got them on sale too.Don't forget the technique DVD for the Summer Tote to help you out, also on sale....

      All this and MORE on our Sale Page!

      Summer Tote Pattern and Bag-E-Bottom

      On Our Sale Page!

      Gracie Pattern and Bag-E-Bottom

      On Our Sale Page!

      Summer Tote DVD

      On Our Sale Page!

      Bag E Bottoms Size A and E to give your bags a nice sturdy base.

      On Our Sale Page!

      Slicker Iron-On Vinyl

      On Our Sale Page!

      Stiff Stuff Firm Interfacing

      On Our Sale Page!

      Soldier's Pride Book

      On Our Sale Page!

      It's Here....

      Kaye's New UPDATED 6 Hour Quilt Pattern

      These updated techniques for the 6 Hour Quilt, our most popular pattern ever, include input from

      viewers who have made this quilt. It also includes new directions for a "Tag Along Buddy Quilt", which is a small quilt with a satin binding for the toddler who needs a special quilt to tag along with mom and a new baby.

      Also included are directions for making this quilt in more sizes, from small to double-quilt size.

      This is still the perfect quilt for a child, a grandchild or a charity quilt.

      It can be dragged around, washed and dried, cuddled up, and wrapped around.

      Go here to order.....

      New In The Shop from Among Brenda's Quilts....

      Tips and Humor From Kaye....

      Kaye meets many people and sees many things while she travels. She always comes back with a couple of humorous stories to tell. Here is one of them.

      Adios Reality

      Apparently having my own show on TV makes me a celebrity, but thank goodness it is only within the quilting world.

      Outside of quilting, many of my friends don't really know what I do, other than I am gone a lot. Some think my staff makes my quilts; in reality, they answer phones, take orders, pack and ship orders, maintain our website, accompany me, staff our booth at consumer and trade shows and produce my TV show.

      In the small town in which we live, I am usually known as Dr. Wood's wife; my husband is a retired high school principal. At quilt shows, he is known as my husband.

      My workday consists of 8-10 hours of writing instructions and designing and making samples for books and TV. That is if I feel like working. If not, I don't.

      Our grandchildren call my show "Grandma movies."

      Because of the TV shows, my teaching schedule is now filled years ahead, and I am endorsing quilting and sewing products. But, some fun things have happened because of it.

      At a consumer show, a quilter ran into my booth and said, "I know who you are."
      "Hi, I'm Kaye Wood"
      ."No, that's not right," she said as she turned and left the booth.

      At an airport check-in I was fumbling to find my driver's license. The agent said "You don't need an ID." When did this change? I wondered to myself.
      He continued, "I know you. I watch your TV show all the time."
      Then the security officer next to the agent said, "Please step aside; we need to dump search your luggage."
      "OK, but why?" I inquired.
      "You meet one of the profiles."
      It did not seem prudent to argue with security people, but, I though, is the suspected terrorist a short, overweight grandmother who doesn't need an ID?

      When flying to present a seminar for a guild, before 9-11, I often was met at the gate by someone from a quilt guild.
      A woman said to me "Hi, Kaye."
      "Hi, how are you?" I replied.
      Instead of going to the baggage claim, we stood and talked at the gate, which I thought was strange. After a few minutes she said, "Well, I have to go catch my plane." She wasn't there to meet me, but just saw me and stopped to chat.
      I continued to the baggage claim area and met the quilt guild representative. Now I make sure I have the name and phone number of the quilter who I am supposed to meet.

      TwinStar Mega Collection...

      Kaye's TwinStar Jacket Pattern is the star of this show, but wait, you also get

      Vests To Dye For

      Terrific Triangles

      Serger Patchwork Projects

      Sunny Skies

      Patchwork Pyramids

      Starring The Eagle

      Savage Star

      Sensational Seminole

      PLUS the TwinStar DVD!

      All in all there are 7 patterns, 2 books and a DVD in this collection.

      Regularly priced at $30.00, now, only $15.00! Hurry and get yours HERE

      DVD of the Week....

      Summer Tote Bag Pattern Technique DVD.

      Regular price for this DVD is $12.00

      but this week, only $5.00!

      Prefer to pay by Paypal? Well, now you can get any of our E-Patterns and E-Books in our Craftsy Shop and pay via Paypal!

      Sew Lazy Interfacings....

      New and Extremely Popular!

      Joan Hawley of Lazy Girl Fame has designed her own line of interfacing for those of us who quilt and sew.

      This stuff totally ROCKS!

      7 different interfacings/stabilizers for everything you need to do.

      • Iron On Vinyl
      • Face It Soft
      • Face It Firm
      • Stiff Stuff Lite
      • Iron On Vinyl
      • Stiff Stuff Firm
      • Fusi-Bond Lite
      • Dreamy Sew In High Loft Fleece
      • Check them all out HERE

      Quiz Answers and a Winner!!

      Native Americans used ______ for sewing and needlework

      • Sinew
      • Beads
      • Porcupine Quills
      • All of the Above

      What is the common seam-allowance on American patterns?

      • 3 cm
      • 5/8"
      • 1/2"
      • 1/10'

      How wide is the average cotton quilting fabric?

      • 36"
      • 53"
      • 44"
      • 48-60"

      How would you test of scrap fabric to see if it was silk?

      • Stretch it
      • Try to set it on fire
      • Wash it
      • Rub it on a piece of sandpaper

      What part of your body closely equals a yard?

      • Your foot x3
      • From your hip bone to the floor
      • Distance between both your outstretched hands
      • Distance from your nose to your fingertips

      This week's winner was Alene! Congratulations, I've sent you an email.

      Kaye's Techniques....

      You've just created a gorgeous quilt and your wall is begging for it. Here's Kaye's technique for making a hanging sleeve....

      Hanging Sleeve by Machine

      My love of quilting comes from my Grandma who lived in Tennessee. When she made something she would send me small squares of her leftover fabric. I would carry them around because I loved the fabric. One day my mom asked if I would like to make a doll quilt, which I did when I was 12. I have loved quilting for over 40 years now. Thank you, Grandma Christopher....Arlene

      A NEW Cruise is in the works, Stay tuned....

      Quilting Cruises....

      Leave your sewing machines at home.
      Sewing machines used on the ship are sponsored by

      Be the one of the first 100 people to reserve a cabin and sign up for classes to receive the AccuQuilt Baby Go and Dye.

      Prices based on availability. Prices are per person, based on a double occupancy for cruise. Price listed includes taxes and fees. These prices cannot be combined with any other promotion.

      Included in your price: Class fees, (except kit fees,) Shipboard accommodations, ocean transportation, most meals, some beverages and most onboard entertainment.

      Not Included: Kit fees for classes which will be paid to instructor at class time, Air transportation, transfers, items of a personal nature such as shore and land excursions, specialty restaurant fees, some beverages, photographs, gratuities/service fees, medical services, etc. All prices in US Dollars.

      We are going to have a
      Wackiest Cruise Outfit contest for the cruise.
      Wacky Cruise Clothing Day: You could win $250. February 22nd has been designated as Wacky Cruise Clothing Day for our group only. Wear your wackiest cruise clothing and you could win $250. Second place will win $150 and third place will win $75.

      If you have questions please call 800-473-9464

      To sign-up for this cruise contact
      Bonnie Greenberg at CruiseOne at 800-784-4480

      Click HERE for more details!

      Thread Care....

      Consider the care requirement of your thread choice. While most threads are easy care (machine wash and dry) there are some exceptions. Some rayon threads require cold water temperatures, while metallic and nylon threads may be heat sensitive, silk is harmed by chlorine bleach. The thread care requirements should be compatible with the fabric care requirements.

      This is the Iron I Want....

      I have used several different cordless irons over the years. My personal favorite is the Panasonic, although it does not have all the things I want in an iron. E-mail both Panasonic and Janome to tell them you want the iron Kaye Wood wants: Cordless, NO steam (the bottom completely flat with no holes), no auto shut-off, Teflon bottom, in a heat-proof fabric carrying case which opens into a pressing mat. This iron would be ready to take to class and could be packed up while still hot.

      Show and Tell....

      This is my first attempt to make a lap quilt using stripes and prairie points, I have so many quilts with prairie points and fell in love with it. One day surfing different quilt sites I came across Kaye Wood's show, "How to make prairie points the easy way". Made them the Kaye Wood way, I'll will be making more quilts with prairie points. Thank you Kaye so much, I have only been quilting for about an year now, no lessons or anything. I grew up as a child with quilts on my bed have love them ever since.......Dee

      Quilting, Sewing and Crafts Expos

      List Your Event....

      In the 70's Singer came out with the Golden Touch and Sew, a high end and expensive machine.($400+) Unfortunately it was also very delicate and would go out of time very quickly. In the Grand Rapids if you took it in for repair, it was trucked to Detroit area. It would then be trucked back to GR having been bounced over the roads. All that bouncing did a good job of making it needing repairs again. Word traveled real fast and they quickly lost their market. One of my students had a faulty crank shaft when the machine was purchased and had an awful time getting the dealer to stand behind the product. It wasn't just because women weren't sewing any longer, Singer lost their market because of defective products and lousy customer service. Huskavarna/Viking came on the scene with new quality machines that are still running and being used today. By the way, I got an A+ for that presentation in 1984 in a marketing case study at Ferris. My information came from experience not from books....Joanne

      This Week In History....

      November is National Hospice Awareness Month. Please consider donating to this worthwhile organization, they do awesome work!
      Nov 21, 1980 - Millions tune in to find out who shot J.R.
      Nov 22, 1963 - John F. Kennedy assassinated
      Nov 23, 1936 - First issue of Life is published
      Nov 24, 1859 - Origin of Species is published
      Nov 25, 1952 - Mousetrap opens in London
      Nov 26, 1941 - FDR establishes modern Thanksgiving holiday
      Nov 27, 1095 - Pope Urban II orders first Crusade

      Are you having problems with a particular video? Let us know what you are experiencing and the name of the video so I can check it out!

      Have a great week, everyone,

      Have a GREAT Thanksgiving to our American readers, and don't eat too much turkey :-/

      Terrye and Kayla

      Subscribe to our weekly newsletter. Just send any email with Subscribe in the subject line.