Quilting The Kaye Wood Way Week of 9.26.12 - Phillips Fiber Arts!

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2012

      • On Sale -Phillips Fiber Arts
      • Strip Quilting Projects Books Mega Sale
      • It's HERE!!
      • What's New in The Shop
      • Tips and Humor from Kaye
      • DVD of the Week
      • Craftsy
      • Kaye Asks You....
      • Kaye's Techniques
      • Quilting Cruises
      • Q and A With Kaye
      • Quilt Trivia
      • Quilting Events
      • Survey
      • This Week In History
      • Kaye's on YouTube

      "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird is playing in the leaves. Can you find her?....Follow us!

      We're on Pinterest Now!

      Check out our More Splash Than Cash Board!

      Please Visit Our Sponsors, They Help Keep This Newsletter Free!Quilting, Sewing and Crafts Expos

      Any order over $50.00 now ships free to the US!

      Kaye has lots and lots of seminars and teacher certification classes scheduled in Arizona. Check out her schedule HERE

      Kaye's 6 Hour Quilt Book

      Updated and in a new format!

      Check it out HERE

      Hi Quilters!

      Up here Autumn is in Full Swing. The leaves are gorgeous, pumpkins adorn porch steps and the Big Lakes are starting to pitch their weather changing fits.

      This week, we're bringing back an old favorite.

      Phillips Fiber Arts presents their 5 and 10 Gems Tools and the many, many patterns that go with these tools.

      Plus, LOTS of items from our Clearance Shelves....

      All on our SALE PAGE

      Water Wheel Pattern

      On Our Sale Page!

      Sea Blossom Pattern

      On Our Sale Page!

      Star Sapphire Pattern

      On Our Sale Page!

      Ferris Wheel Pattern

      On Our Sale Page!

      Ten Part Star Pattern

      On Our Sale Page!

      Colorado Star Pattern

      On Our Sale Page!

      Sundial Pattern

      On Our Sale Page!

      Framing Pattern

      On Our Sale Page!

      Strip Quilting Projects Books Collection!

      Get Kaye's Strip Quilting Project Books 2-9 as a set for $8.00 that is only 1 dollar a piece. These book's sell for 5.00 a piece. That is a savings of $32.00.

      Please note: Shipping will be $6.00 on these

      It's Here....

      Kaye's New UPDATED 6 Hour Quilt Pattern

      These updated techniques for the 6 Hour Quilt, our most popular pattern ever, include input from

      viewers who have made this quilt. It also includes new directions for a "Tag Along Buddy Quilt", which is a small quilt with a satin binding for the toddler who needs a special quilt to tag along with mom and a new baby.

      Also included are directions for making this quilt in more sizes, from small to double-quilt size.

      This is still the perfect quilt for a child, a grandchild or a charity quilt.

      It can be dragged around, washed and dried, cuddled up, and wrapped around.

      Go here to order.....

      What's New....

      Candle Mat Patterns and Alphabets!

      Tips and Humor From Kaye....

      Kaye meets many people and sees many things while she travels. She always comes back with a couple of humorous stories to tell. Here is one of them.

      A Quilter Without A Country

      One of our quilting cruises left from Aruba for the Southern Caribbean. Bill and I flew to Miami to join Jane and Wayne Hill for a quilting cruise.

      The next day we were to fly to Aruba when I realized I had my driver's license, but had forgotten my passport, my birth certificate, etc. So I called and had my office fax me these documents.

      We flew from Miami to Aruba on a charter the cruise line had arranged. Upon presenting my faxed documents to immigration in Aruba, the man looked at me and said, "These are not original documents." I said nothing, as I have learned is sometimes the best course of action, because it gives the person an opportunity to solve your problem for you.

      He then said, "They seem to be on fax paper." Again I said nothing. "Where are the originals?" he asked.

      "At home," I replied.

      My husband was sure they would not let me on the cruise ship, but what were their choices? Make me stay in Aruba, which is my favorite island, oh darn; fly me back to Miami; or allow me to board the cruise ship and become someone else's problem.

      The Immigration officer said, "You can't enter Aruba, but you can pass through to the ship. You should know that you probably won't be able to get back into the States. Only an American would travel with faxed documents." So they let us on the ship. I decided not to worry about getting back to the States until we returned from the cruise.

      Twelve days later, after a great cruise, we flew back to Miami. The U.S. customs agent looked at my faxed documents. He said, "These are not the originals." I said nothing. He then said, "They seem to be on fax paper." Again I said nothing. "Where are the originals?" he asked. "At home, " I replied. (Does this sound familiar?)

      He then asked what Immigration had said in Aruba. I told him they said, "Only an American would travel with faxed documents." The U.S. Immigration man said, "He's probably right." And all ended well!

      DVD of the Week....

      Kaye Wood's 6 Hour Quilt Technique DVD

      Regular price for the DVD is $12.00,

      but this week, only $5.00!

      Craftsy....

      Prefer to pay by Paypal? Well, now you can get any of our E-Patterns and E-Books in our Craftsy Shop and pay via Paypal!

      Kaye Asks....

      To all you quilters.

      Do you have a perfect iron for piecing your quilts?
      I know what I want, but haven't found it yet.
      I might have to have it made.
      This is what I want: cordless, no steam, flat bottom, no auto shut-off, in-expensive.
      Let me know what you want in a quilter's iron?

      Email me HERE

      Kaye's Techniques....

      Make Sleeve For Hanging Your Quilts... Kaye explains her methods....

      HERE

      Quilting Cruises....

      Leave your sewing machines at home.
      Sewing machines used on the ship are sponsored by

      Janome

      Be the one of the first 100 people to reserve a cabin and sign up for classes to receive the AccuQuilt Baby Go and Dye.

      Cabins and Classes will fill fast. We suggest you book by September 30, 2012.

      Prices based on availability. Prices are per person, based on a double occupancy for cruise. Price listed includes taxes and fees. These prices cannot be combined with any other promotion.

      Included in your price: Class fees, (except kit fees,) Shipboard accommodations, ocean transportation, most meals, some beverages and most onboard entertainment.

      Not Included: Kit fees for classes which will be paid to instructor at class time, Air transportation, transfers, items of a personal nature such as shore and land excursions, specialty restaurant fees, some beverages, photographs, gratuities/service fees, medical services, etc. All prices in US Dollars.

      We are going to have a
      Wackiest Cruise Outfit contest for the cruise.
      Wacky Cruise Clothing Day: You could win $250. February 22nd has been designated as Wacky Cruise Clothing Day for our group only. Wear your wackiest cruise clothing and you could win $250. Second place will win $150 and third place will win $75.

      If you have questions please call 800-473-9464

      To sign-up for this cruise contact
      Bonnie Greenberg at CruiseOne at 800-784-4480

      Click HERE for more details!

      Q and A With Kaye....

      Q: This may sound silly but I hear the term, "fussy cut" a lot, and I don't know what it is. Can you give me a little insight?

      K: When you fussy cut, what you are doing is centering a certain design or pattern in a shape. With any of my View & Do Shapes, they come apart and nest inside each other. That way you can see what the design will look like in different sizes of that shape, before you cut your fabric. It saves time and a lot of fabric doing it this way.

      Q: Is it alright to use two pieces of fabric to back a quilt?

      K: You can use any number of pieces. The whole back can be a pieced quilt if you choose it to be.

      Q: Can you tell me what White Work is?

      K: White Work is a quilt in which the entire design is in the quilting stitches. Usually made up in solid white fabric to display the quilter's stitching skills.

      Q: What does "straight" mean when cutting fabric.

      K: "Straight" means that the cut is perpendicular to the fold of the fabric.

      Quilt Trivia....

      More Singer Sewing Machine Trivia

      In 1863 Isaac Singer was surrounded by scandal. The public learned that he had fathered 24 children by at least 5 different women. Clark, Singer's business partner, was so shocked by the revelation that he ended his partnership with Singer. Isaac Singer had too much money to be worried. He moved to England, where the scandal did not reach him. He lived there until his death in 1875. The scandal had little effect on sewing machine sales, however. Mahatma Gandhi is said to have called the Singer sewing machine "one of the few useful things ever invented." Admiral Richard Byrd found them so useful that he carted six of them all the way to the Antarctic.

      At it's peak, Singer was producing 3 million sewing machines a year. In the mid-1970s, however, the number of people in America who sewed, or even repaired, their own clothes dropped sharply. The modern Singer company stopped selling sewing machines in 1986. Today it sells aerospace electronics.

      Have a short quilting or sewing related essay you'd like to share? Send them to us HERE

      List Your Event....

      Survey....

      I want to know, besides quilting and sewing, what your other top 3 interests are!

      The "Survey Link" isn't really a link so much as it's an email form to mail to me, so if you click it and there's no survey form, just email me your answers.

      Here are the results so far

      • Reading
      • Word Games
      • Sports
      • Knitting
      • Other Needlework
      • Cooking
      • Geneology

      I’ll post the results in the next newsletter! Email me here:

      Â terrye@...?subject=survey

      This Week In History....

      Sep 26, 1960 First Kennedy-Nixon debate
      Sep 27, 1779 John Adams appointed to negotiate peace terms with British
      Sep 28, 1941 Ted Williams becomes last player to hit .400
      Sep 29, 2005 Reporter Judith Miller released from prison
      Sep 30, 1955 James Dean dies
      Oct 01, 1890 Yosemite National Park established
      Oct 02, 1985 Hollywood icon Rock Hudson dies of AIDS

      Kaye's on YouTube....

      130 (ish) shows....

      Check them all out... HERE

      Are you having problems with a particular video? Let us know what you are experiencing and the name of the video so I can check it out!

      Have a great week, everyone!

      Terrye and Kayla

      Subscribe to our weekly newsletter. Just send any email with Subscribe in the subject line.