Quilting The Kaye Wood Way Week of 9.5.12 - Starmakers Are On Sale, and A Day We Must Never Forget....

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2012

      • On Sale -Kaye Wood!
      • Strip Quilting Blowout Sale
      • Really Cool Announcement
      • What's New in The Shop
      • Tips and Humor from Kaye
      • DVD of the Week
      • Kaye's Techniques
      • Quilting Cruises
      • TIP....
      • Organization
      • TIP....
      • Amish Quilt Trivia
      • Quilting Events
      • This Week In History
      • Kaye's on YouTube
      • Q and A with Kaye

      "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird is happy to see the hot weather go away....Follow us!

      We're on Pinterest Now!

      Check out our Kaye's Quilting Toys Board!

      Please Visit Our Sponsors, They Help Keep This Newsletter Free!Quilting, Sewing and Crafts Expos

      Any order over $50.00 now ships free to the US!

      Kaye has lots and lots of seminars and teacher certification classes scheduled in Arizona. Check out her schedule HERE

      Hi Quilters!

      Whew, vacations sure are exhausing. And the older I get, the longer it seems to take to recover. but we had a great time at the lake, skiing, tubing, fishing, swimming, and the bonfires at night.

      Love It!!

      So this week, our featured designer is.....Kaye Wood!!

      And this week our theme is a bittersweet reminder of a day we should never forget.

      All on our SALE PAGE

      Everyone Can Quilt Book

      On Our Sale Page!

      Starmaker 5 Master Template

      On Our Sale Page!

      Starmaker 6 Master Template

      On Our Sale Page!

      Starmaker 8 Master Template

      On Our Sale Page!

      Strip Quilting Mega Collection

      Get Kaye's Strip Quilting Project Books 2-9 as a set for $8.00 that is only 1 dollar a piece. These book's sell for 5.00 a piece. That is a savings of at least $32.00.

      Please note: Shipping will be $6.00 on these

      Really Cool Announcement....

      Rings That Bind is Book and Template Set is being reprinted!!

      See I told you it was cool.

      We expect them in sometime in October.

      Go here to pre-order.....

      What's New....

      Tips and Humor From Kaye....

      Kaye meets many people and sees many things while she travels. She always comes back with a couple of humorous stories to tell. Here is one of them.

      Out of Gas....

      Do you know that in Michigan the State Police carry extra gas in their patrol cars?

      On my way to Paducah, I ran out of gas. Soon a state trooper stopped. He stayed in his car longer than I thought was necessary - probably dong a check on my license plate. Getting out of the car, his hand was adjusting his gun and club, getting ready to protect himself. As he approached, I raised my hands and said, "Don't even ask if my gas gauge works."

      "That's a question only a husband would ask," he said as he began putting gas into my tank.

      I couldn't resist asking him if the police in every state carry extra gas."Why?" he asked.

      "Well, if you had lots of time and wanted to go cross country without buying gas, could you do it?"

      "I'm writing your name down just in case."

      DVD of the Week....

      Stained Glass Iris DVD

      Regular price for the DVD is $12.00,

      but this week, only $5.00!

      Kaye's Techniques....

      From Strips To Stars... Kaye explains her methods....

      HERE

      Quilting Cruises....

      Leave your sewing machines at home.
      Sewing machines used on the ship are sponsored by

      Janome

      Be the one of the first 100 people to reserve a cabin and sign up for classes to receive the AccuQuilt Baby Go and Dye.

      Cabins and Classes will fill fast. We suggest you book by September 30, 2012.

      Prices based on availability. Prices are per person, based on a double occupancy for cruise. Price listed includes taxes and fees. These prices cannot be combined with any other promotion.

      Included in your price: Class fees, (except kit fees,) Shipboard accommodations, ocean transportation, most meals, some beverages and most onboard entertainment.

      Not Included: Kit fees for classes which will be paid to instructor at class time, Air transportation, transfers, items of a personal nature such as shore and land excursions, specialty restaurant fees, some beverages, photographs, gratuities/service fees, medical services, etc. All prices in US Dollars.

      We are going to have a
      Wackiest Cruise Outfit contest for the cruise.
      Wacky Cruise Clothing Day: You could win $250. February 22nd has been designated as Wacky Cruise Clothing Day for our group only. Wear your wackiest cruise clothing and you could win $250. Second place will win $150 and third place will win $75.

      If you have questions please call 800-473-9464

      To sign-up for this cruise contact
      Bonnie Greenberg at CruiseOne at 800-784-4480

      Click HERE for more details!

      TIP....I fold and safety pin ALL fabrics before washing and drying to pre-shrink. Fat quarters can be layered and pinned or layered inside larger pieces.

      Little or no ironing is required after drying. I no longer mind pre-washing....Emily

      Organization To Help You Quilting....

      A great way to make quilting faster is to take the time to organize your projects.

      This is not as hard as it might sound. All you need to do is list out everything you are going to require for your project in advance. Things like tools, materials and the time you'll need to actually build the project. That way you can reduce "wasted" time by having everything ready to go right from the beginning.

      But effective organizing goes even beyond this. To really move your quilting to the next level, you should keep a record of things that worked and things that didn't work, so you can constantly improve the effectiveness of your time. This is easily accomplished by starting and maintaining a quilting journal. Just make a quick note each time you discover a new idea or technique that works well, or a new tool or supply item that is ideal for a certain situation. Then the next time you go to do a project, you can easily check your journal in order to get a head-start. You don't have to "remember" everything since your journal takes care of that for you.

      You can set up this journal using any word processing program, or to get really organized, you can use one of the quilting software programs that are available.

      Whichever way you choose, your quilting journal will save you hundreds of hours of time, and make you a much more proficient.

      TIP....When I tie a quilt I use a decorative stitch on my sewing machine. I just select the stitch and then select the single stitch option. I make sure to "fix" the stitch on both sides so it won't unstitch itself through wear. On baby quilts I might use a satin heart to tie. No loose yarn ends for baby to get fingers caught in. On other quilts I just select a stitch that compliments the fabric and the pattern. It might be a flower, or a sun, or a star. Perhaps a sailboat or a music note, or a kittie. The possibilities are as limited as your sewing machine and your imagination.... Tommie

      More Amish Quilt Trivia....

      Antique Amish quilts rarely if ever contain the depictive representations of everyday life commonly found in "traditonal" American quilts.

      Clothing manufacturer Esprit, founded by Amish quilt collector Doug Tompkins was the only corporation to have it's own quilt curator.

      The age of a quilt can be determined by whayt dyes were used to color the fabric. Early Amish quilt-makers used dyes from weeds, berries, and bark.

      Have a short quilting or sewing related essay you'd like to share? Send them to us HERE

      List Your Event....

      This Week In History....

      Sep 05, 1836 Sam Houston elected as president of Texas
      Sep 06, 1915 First tank produced
      Sep 07, 1813 United States nicknamed Uncle Sam
      Sep 08, 1974 Ford pardons Nixon
      Sep 09, 1893 President's child born in White House
      Sep 10, 1897 First drunk driving arrest
      Sep 11, 2001 Attack on America

      Kaye's on YouTube....

      130 (ish) shows....

      Check them all out... HERE

      Are you having problems with a particular video? Let us know what you are experiencing and the name of the video so I can check it out!

      Q and A With Kaye....

      Q: Why would your needle break while machine quilting?
      A: My experience is that when this happens you are usually going too slow. It also helps to make sure the quilt is completely supported.

      Have a great week, everyone!

      Please take a moment to remember those who lost their lives on this awful day 11 years ago.

      Terrye and Kayla

      Subscribe to our weekly newsletter. Just send any email with Subscribe in the subject line.