Kaye's Quilting Friends Email Newsletter.

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 10, 2004
      Kaye's Quilting Friends Email Newsletter.

      Search Our Online Catalog!:

      Kaye's Free Quilting and Sewing Online E-Newsletter

      Aug 10, 2004

      When Kaye is on the road she is privy to hundreds of stories about people and their quilts. Only a fellow quilter can understand the time, love and work that goes into making these beautiful pieces. Even when you see one that doesn't strike you as very attractive, you respect it, for you know how they probably spent hours upon hours working on it. Maybe it brings back a certain event, person or even an era for you. Maybe it's a part of your history or family tree. For whatever reason, quilts can take you back to that place, comfort you in it's folds, and warm your heart in a way few other things can. Here's a poem for you that kind of touches on that.

      A Treasure

      It's more than a coverlet, more than a spread, this beautiful quilt that graces my bed.
      It's laughter and sorrow, it's pleasure and pain. It's small bits and pieces, of sunshine and rain.
      It's bright panorama, of scraps of my life. It's moments of glory, it's moments of strife.
      It's a story I treasure, of days that have been. It's a door I can open, to live them again.
      Yes, it's more than a cover, this much treasured quilt. It's parts pieced together, of the life I have built.
      Author, Mildred Hatfield

      Download this newsletter

      As we stated previously, throughout the rest of the summer our specials will be lasting two weeks. This ensures that people who are on vacation and busy with the summer, also have a crack at these great buys. So, I'm giving you a little leeway, but don't put it off for long.

      Aug 9 - 23

      $.99 Shipping on When Children Dream

      note - shipping prices will be adjusted in the office.

      Do you have a special little person in your life? Do you need to come up with an inexpensive way to make a birthday, shower or even Christmas gift? Check out this weeks special and than haul out those scraps. This book is all about children! A child's whimsy, dreams, thoughts and actions, are all caught up in this book by Lynda Howell, When Children Dream. I can't say enough about this book. This book includes patterns for sampler quilts, wall hangings, pillows and pictures, all depicting a child's life. The little boy patterns have everything a boy would love, from dinosaurs, snakes and frogs, to airplanes, trains and boats, all in one. The little girl patterns have everything from hop scotch, jump rope and jacks to ballet and dress up! All the things little ones dream about, do, and love are in these patterns. When Children Dream has 28 pages of fun and the paper appliqué templates are included. The retail price of this book is $16 and for the next two weeks, your s/h charge will be just 99 cents. For a total price of $16.99, you can have this book and all the memories these projects will create, long after the time when they become teenagers and impossible! Great items to start a passing on tradition.

      HINT: Buy this book and you will also qualify for our monthly special automatically! To take advantage of this wonderful special just click on this link: http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      August

      Free Stardust Quilt Pattern!

      For the month of August only, when you spend a mere $10, (not including s/h) we will give you FREE, Kaye's Stardust Quilt Book. This pattern is total Log Cabin Diamonds that can be strip pieced and combined into tumbling blocks, 6 pointed stars, hexagons or a full size quilt. Originally retails for $8, you can get this classic, one of the first patterns by Kaye Wood, free with any order of $10 or more. This value is good for the whole month, and is a must have for your Kaye Wood collection, so order here:

      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Where in the World Is Kaye?

      Here are some more upcoming events where you can catch Kaye Wood.

      Reno, Quilt & Embroidery Festival featuring "Sew-n-Such", 8/26/04 - 8/29/04, 1-775-856-3224 http://www.pcmexpo.com

      Houghton Lake, Comfort Suites, 9/15/04, http://www.kayewood.com/seminar.html

      Novi, American Sewing Expo, 10/1/04 - 10/3/04, 1-248-889-3111 www.americansewingexpo.com

      Kansas City, Original Sewing and Quilt Expo, 10/14/04 - 10/17/04, 1-800-699-6309, www.sewingexpo.com

      To check out all of Kaye's upcoming teaching schedule, just click
      www.kayewood.com/teachingschedule.html

      A great way to get in touch with other quilters to exchange ideas or just make a new friend, is through our message board. To post your message or to check out what other people are saying, just click on this link:
      http://bbs.cartserver.com/bbs/a/8058/index.cgi

      Don't forget if you need someone to contact you to put your e-mail address in with your message, otherwise they have no way to get in touch.

      Pine Hollow Handcrafts
      Greetings from Pine Hollow handcrafts!
      Furry Bunnies, Fabric Bears, Muslin Dolls, and delicately crochet baby items await. Just added are new, hand quilted wall hangings!
      "Each item that leaves the Needles of Pine Hollow is a creation made with love, care, and heart." Custom orders are welcome.
      Don't forget to enter our monthly contest and check out our recipes.

      Tidbits

      Did you know you can now sign up for the Houghton Lake, MI seminar online? You sure can, all you have to do is click here: http://www.kayewood.com/seminar.html

      Did you know you can now purchase Kaye's Quilting Friends on DVD? Anything you see on video now can be purchased in DVD format. Just enter your program number plus DVD and we will gladly order it for you! (DVD charges are 19.95)

      In case you missed the hoopla, Kaye's 1700 series is now available! Check out all the new, interesting and fun projects that are now available!
      http://www.kayewood.com/1700 series.html

      Check your local PBS station for dates and times you can view Kaye's Quilting Friends. To find the one in your area, click on the link below and enter your zipcode in the finder. It should bring up all the stations in your viewing area. If you don't find Kaye's Quilting Friends on their schedule, you can also use this link to let them know you'd like to.
      http://www.pbs.org/stationfinder/stationfinder_relocalize.html

      These following links have been updated. Just click on any of them to go directly to that page.
      Quilt Articles:Find out what's going on in someone else's backyard. Informative, interesting and definitely worth a second look.
      http://www.kayewood.com/quiltarticles.html

      Quilting Dictionary: Did you know we have one on our site? Check out the latest or what's past in quilting terms.
      http://www.kayewood.com/definitions.html

      Tips page: Our tips page has been updated and now includes how to make Kaye's Hanging Sleeve. Check it here:
      http://www.kayewood.com/tips.html

      Clearance page: Also updated, check it out for extra special buys.
      http://www.kayewood.com/clearance.html

      Finale

      If you're one of Kaye's Quilting Friends, don't forget about the Kaye Wood Strip Quilting Seminar coming to Houghton Lake, Michigan, Wednesday, September 15, 2004. Join Kaye as she teaches her world renown quilting methods and techniques. Always entertaining and informative, this event will take place at the Comfort Suites in Houghton Lake, MI. The cost is $25 per person and a great lunch is included. Please contact us for more information or to reserve your spot.
      Sign up online here: http://www.kayewood.com/seminar.html

      I guess that's all for this week. From all of us at Kaye Wood Inc., keep smiling, keep loving and above all.......keep quilting! :-)

      Take Care,

      Joyce Horn

      Copyright 2004 Kaye Wood, Inc

      email: terrye@...

      Unsubscribe details:

      This message was sent to you because as a customer of Kaye's Quilting Friends, you previously indicated you would like to receive announcements of news, events and special promotions. To unsubscribe, click here.

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 17, 2004
        Kaye's Quilting Friends Email Newsletter.

        Search Our Online Catalog!:

        Kaye's Free Quilting and Sewing Online E-Newsletter

        Aug 17, 2004

        It was a beautiful weekend here in Michigan! The temps were a little on the cool side, which is very odd for August, but there was sunshine abound and a nice gentle breeze. A great weekend for getting things done, or doing nothing at all. Then it happened! In a blink of an eye, I was invaded. That would be by family you see. Now, I come from a big family to begin with, 5 brothers and 1 sister plus myself, equals a very large crew. Add in a few grandchildren and spouses, you've got enough for 2 professional baseball teams! Don't get me wrong, I love my huge family, but by the time you get breakfast and clean up, it's time for lunch. You get lunch, clean up and guess what? You've got it, dinner time! As you can see, it's one big vicious cycle fueled by, "Can I have a drink of water and can I have a popsicle?", etc. Now did I mention I love my family? But 3 days of this is enough to make you wish you were an only child at times. Then it finally settles down. Everyone is fed and content to just sit back and joke and visit and watch the kids play. As my daughter comes up and settles down on my lap and my niece wraps her arms around my legs, I look around at all the faces of my family. The young, the old and the in between and think how very lucky I am to have all them and how much I love them all. The old saying really is true. Family, you can't live with them, you can't live without them and nobody else would put up with all those knuckle heads anyway!

        Download this newsletter

        As we stated previously, throughout the rest of the summer our specials will be lasting two weeks. This ensures that people who are on vacation and busy with the summer, also have a crack at these great buys. So, I'm giving you a little leeway, but don't put it off for long.

        Aug 9 - 23

        $.99 Shipping on When Children Dream

        note - shipping prices will be adjusted in the office.

        Do you have a special little person in your life? Do you need to come up with an inexpensive way to make a birthday, shower or even Christmas gift? Check out this weeks special and than haul out those scraps. This book is all about children! A child's whimsy, dreams, thoughts and actions, are all caught up in this book by Lynda Howell, When Children Dream . I can't say enough about this book. It includes patterns for sampler quilts, wall hangings, pillows and pictures, all depicting a child's life. The little boy patterns have everything a boy would love, from dinosaurs, snakes and frogs, to airplanes, trains and boats, all in one. The little girl patterns are perfect with everything from hop scotch, jump rope and jacks, to ballet and dress up! All the things little ones dream about and love, are in these patterns. When Children Dream has 28 pages of fun and the paper appliqué templates are included. The retail price of this book is $16 and for the next two weeks, your s/h charge will be just 99 cents. For a total price of $16.99, you can have this book and all the memories these projects will create, long after the time when they become teenagers and impossible! Great items to start a passing on tradition.

        HINT: Buy this book and you will also qualify for our monthly special automatically! To take advantage of this wonderful special just click on this link:

        http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

        August

        Free Stardust Quilt Pattern!

        For the month of August only, when you spend a mere $10, (not including s/h) we will give you FREE, Kaye's Stardust Quilt Book. This pattern is total Log Cabin Diamonds that can be strip pieced and combined into tumbling blocks, 6 pointed stars, hexagons or a full size quilt. Originally retails for $8, you can get this classic, one of the first patterns by Kaye Wood, free with any order of $10 or more. This value is good for the whole month, and is a must have for your Kaye Wood collection, so order here:

        http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

        Attention: All subscribers in or around the Dallas, Texas area

        Would you like to take a class from Kaye Wood? Sign up now! Dallas, TX, Sept. 9-12, 2004
        Take a 3 day getaway and come back with better quilting and embroidery skills - regardless of your skill level. At Love 2 Learn Schools, you'll get hands-on, intensive instruction from top industry creative professionals.

        Take classes from a dozen professionals, like Sandra Bezina, Trevor Conquergood, Tammie Bowser, Kaye Wood, and more. Enrollment is limited so to ensure the maximum one-on-one instruction time, visit their site at http://www.love2learnschools.com/ to pre-register.

        Where in the World Is Kaye?

        Here are some more upcoming events where you can catch Kaye Wood.

        Reno, NV, Quilt & Embroidery Festival featuring "Sew-n-Such", 8/26/04 - 8/29/04, 1-775-856-32
        http://www.pcmexpo.com

        Houghton Lake, MI, Comfort Suites, 9/15/04
        http://www.kayewood.com/seminar.html

        Novi, MI, American Sewing Expo, 10/1/04 - 10/3/04, 1-248-889-3111
        www.americansewingexpo.com

        Kansas City, MO, Original Sewing and Quilt Expo, 10/14/04 - 10/17/04, 1-800-699-6309
        www.sewingexpo.com

        To check out all of Kaye's upcoming teaching schedule, just click here:

        www.kayewood.com/teachingschedule.html

        here:

        Would you like to make a new friend? Maybe share your quilting ideas or get help with your quilting problems? Then sign up for our Message Board! Join the many who already have and get feed back and info on what's happening with your fellow quilters. To post your message or to check out what other people are saying, just click on this link: http://bbs.cartserver.com/bbs/a/8058/index.cgi Don't forget if you need someone to contact you, put your e-mail address in with your message, otherwise they have no way to get in touch.

        What's New?

        DVD's are here! Now you have 2 different avenues in which to watch your favorite Kaye's Quilting Friends episodes, VHS format or DVD! Just enter "VHS" or "DVD" into the search box on any page and you'll get a listing of what we have.

        Q and A With Kaye

        Q: How do you trim a baby quilt with satin?
        K: If you use a wide satin ribbon, fold the ribbon in half, lengthwise, wrong sides together and press. Encase the edge of the quilt inside the folded satin and topstitch.

        Q: How do you make chenille?
        K: You can do this in five easy steps.
        1) Stack 6 pieces of fabric right sides up with the largest piece on the bottom.
        2) Pin the fabric pieces together. With a ruler and a washable fabric marker, draw a diagonal line in the center from corner to corner. Continue drawing diagonal lines 3/4" of an inch apart until you have marked the entire square.
        3) With a sewing machine, stitch along all of the marked diagonal lines.
        4) Using scissors, cut the center of each row. (Do NOT cut the bottom piece)
        5) Once all of the rows have been cut, machine wash and dry the fabric piece.

        Tidbits

        Time is running out to get in on the Houghton Lake, MI seminar on September 15, 2004. For $25.00 you can reserve your spot and spend the day with Kaye Wood. Always informative and entertaining, join Kaye as she takes you through the fun process of strip quilting! This event takes place at the Comfort Suites on the shores of beautiful Houghton Lake. You do the math. Kaye Wood seminar, fantastic luncheon and breathtaking scenery combined, equal one great day! This event is filling fast so don't delay! To sign up online, just click here:
        http://www.kayewood.com/seminar.html

        Check out our Quilting Dictionary! Filled with terms and definitions to help you understand your quilting world. http://www.kayewood.com/definitions.html

        The Tips Page has been updated and now has Kaye's Hanging Sleeve on it. Check it out here:
        http://www.kayewood.com/tips.html

        Our Clearance Page is updated daily. Make sure you check it out for some really great buys. Just click here:
        http:/www.kayewood.com/clearance.html

        Don't miss out on Kaye's latest 1700 series! New items, new guests, you can check it all out by just clicking here:
        http://www.kayewood.com/1700_series.html

        Check out Quilting Events near and abroad. Updated weekly, see what's going on here:
        http://www.kayewood.com/events.html

        You can Contact your PBS station to find out when Kaye's Quilting Friends is available or to request that it be shown if you don't have it. Click on the link below and enter your zip code. It should bring up all of your local PBS stations. Pick your station and go to schedule, it's as easy as that. Just click here:
        http://www.pbs.org/stationfinder/stationfinder relocalize.html

        You can now take a look at What's Happening in your "neighbors" back yard. This page is filled with quilting articles from around the U.S. Updated daily, take a look here:
        http://www.kayewood.com/quiltarticles.html

        Finale

        Well gang, I guess that's all for this week! Let us know if you need anything or if we can help you out in any way!
        From all of us at Kaye Wood Inc.,

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 14, 2004
          Kaye's Quilting Friends Email Newsletter.

          Search Our Online Catalog!:

          Kaye's Free Quilting and Sewing Online E-Newsletter

          Sept 14, 2004

          Hey everyone! Here's another little poem that amused me that I'm passing along. As a person who has tore out probably more stitches than I've put in, I thought it was really cute.

          Download This Newsletter!

          FOOT NOTE

          This foot was made for walking, but not on my machine.
          It turns out the weirdest quilting, that I have ever seen!
          It sews along quite nicely, I stop holding my breath.
          Then it does a little dance step and scares me half to death!
          I see a section of stitches, too small for ripping out.
          Then a leap and then a skip--what is this all about?
          A seam on top? The batting? Am I doing something wrong?
          I didn't dream that machine quilting, would ever take this long.
          The answer's out there somewhere, I'll seek till I understand,
          But until I get it sorted out, I just must quilt by hand!
          By: Jacquie Scuitto

          As we stated before, our specials are now running for 2 weeks at a time. People seem to like this better and it gives them a chance to check things out thoroughly and not have to rush an order in. So, until further notice, we're going to keep it this way.

          Sept 8 - 21

          2 week special 99 cent s/h on anything Stack-n-Whack

          For the next two weeks when you order anything that is Stack-n-Whack, your shipping will be only 99 cents. Whether you buy one Stack-n-Whack book, two or just the tool, your shipping will only be 99 cents. Buy all the Stack-n-Whack items we carry, and the shipping will only be 99 cents! What a deal!

          Perhaps you are already familiar with Bethany Reynolds and her Stack-n-Whack books? No? Well, let me tell you a little about it. Stack-n-Whack is an easy way to create quilt blocks with unique kaleidoscope designs. These designs have to have a set of identical pieces cut from a print fabric. Instead of finding and cutting each piece one by one, a quilter can cut and layer a large number of rectangles to make a stack. Each triangle or wedge cut from the stack produces a block kit of identical pieces that will create the kaleidoscope effect. Simple methods for pinwheel and star designs are also included. Tons of projects in each book, both have beautiful color pictures plus tips on fabric selection, fabric requirements for each project and total supply lists. Easy to read and do, you soon will be among the hundreds who are Stack-n-Whackin! Paper templates are included in the books, but the Stack-n-Whack Triangle Tool is available and suggested for insured accuracy.

          So buy 1 book, buy 2, or buy both and the tool and your s/h will be only 99 cents! This offer is only good for 2 weeks, so order now.

          September

          Serger Patchwork Projects - Free!

          Everyone really seems to love something free. So guess what? We're going to give away a free book this month too! When you spend $25 or more for the month of September, we will also include with your order, Serger Patchworks by Kaye Wood. This book is everything you've wanted and needed to know about using a Serger. Projects for every skill level of quilter, this book has complete instructions, supply lists and teacher pages. Tips on how to finish your project include, machine quilting, tying a quilt, plus borders and bindings. Yet another great book to have for your Kaye Wood collection. It normally retails for $9.95 and you can get it free with any $25 purchase for the rest of this month. To take advantage of this great offer, just click below.

          Hint

          Buy $25 of the Stack-n-Whack products and your s/h still remains 99 cents plus, you get the Serger Patchworks book free with no additional s/h!

          http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

          What's Happening...

          Kaye is back and trying to get rested up from her teaching trip at Dallas. She made a lot of new friends and got to touch base with some old ones too. A big thanks to everyone that came and participated. All of you helped to make this a wonderful event!

          Kaye Wood is always on the go! Just barely back from Dallas and off to the Houghton Lake, MI seminar on Sept.15th., this lady never stops! Always informative and entertaining, join Kaye as she takes you through the fun process of strip quilting! This event takes place at the exquisite Comfort Suites on the shores of beautiful Houghton Lake. A marvelous luncheon is included, so come join the fun. $25.00 can reserve your spot but don't delay, this event is filling fast and seating is limited. Call now, 1-800-248-5293.

          Here are some other listings to see if Kaye Wood is coming to an event near you!
          Novi, MI, American Sewing Expo---10/1/04 thru 10/3/04, 1-248-889-3111
          www.americansewingexpo.com

          Kansas City, MO, Original Sewing and Quilt Expo---10/14/04 thru 10/17/04, 1-800-699-6309
          www.sewingexpo.com

          Houston, TX, International Quilt Market---10/29/04 thru 11/1/04, 1-713-781-6864
          www.quilts.com

          Minneapolis, MN, Original Sewing and Quilt Expo---11/11/04 thru 11/13/04

          To check out Kaye's upcoming teaching schedule, just click here:
          www.kayewood.com/teachingschedule.html

          Ad Swap

          Questions and Answers with Kaye

          Q: How do you select guests for your TV show?
          K: We select teachers who have written patterns or books that we feel would interest our viewers. If you have a pattern or book, you can send it to us for review.

          Q: If I put a wall hanging in the kitchen area, what is the best way to try and keep it clean?
          K: If it were me, I would use Scotch Guard on it before hanging.

          Q: After cutting my strips with a rotary cutter, I notice that they bow in the middle. How can I prevent this?
          K: Fold the strips in half and cut at right angles to the fold. You have to check them constantly and make sure the angles are accurate.

          What's New

          DVD's are here! Now you have 2 different avenues to watch your favorite Kaye's Quilting Friends episodes, VHS format or DVD! Just enter "VHS" or "DVD" into the search box on any page and you'll get a listing of what we have.

          Have you checked out our new online catalog? A whole new look and format makes it much nicer to check out all the things we carry now. Easier to navigate with convenient thumbnail pictures to click on; you really need to check it out! You can read it on the web or download it to your computer by clicking here:
          http://www.kayewood.com/onlinecat/catpage1.html

          Other great links.

          Check out our Quilting Dictionary! Filled with terms and definitions to help you understand your quilting world.
          http://www.kayewood.com/definitions.html

          The Tips Page has been updated and now has Kaye's Hanging Sleeve on it. Check it out here:
          http://www.kayewood.com/tips.html

          Don't miss out on Kaye's latest 1700 series! New items, new guests, you can check it all out by just clicking here:
          http://www.kayewood.com/1700_series.html

          You can now take a look at What's Happening in your "neighbors" back yard. This page is filled with quilting articles from around the U.S. Updated daily, take a look here:
          http://www.kayewood.com/quiltarticles.html

          PBS television stations across the United States are showing Kaye's Quilting Friends. If it is not available in your area or to find out the schedule for when it's playing, click the link below.
          http://www.pbs.org/stationfinder/stationfinder_relocalize.html

          Thanks to a collaboration with Quiltindex.com our events page has been updated.
          http://www.kayewood.com/events.html

          This pattern, Garden Path, is a pattern using the strip cut hexagon technique featured in last week's newsletter.

          http://www.kayewood.com/articles/gardenpath.html
          http://www.kayewood.com/articles/gardenpath.pdf

          Message Board

          Our message board is a great place to get information, techniques, tips or just make a new friend! Join the many who already have and get feed back and info on what's happening with your fellow quilters. To post your message or to check out what other people are saying, just click on this link: http://bbs.cartserver.com/bbs/a/8058/index.cgi

          Don't forget if you need someone to contact you, put your e-mail address in with your message, otherwise they have no way to get in touch.

          Finale

          Well gang, I guess that's all for this week! Let us know if you need anything or if we can help you out in any way! From all of us at Kaye Wood Inc., keep smiling, keep loving and above all .......keep quilting! :-)

          Take Care, Joyce Horn

          If you have any suggestions or questions, feel free to let us know. We're always looking for new ideas and areas of interest. Some we can use, others we can't, but at least it helps to give us an idea. Just click the link below and thanks!

          email: terrye@...