Quilting The Kaye Wood Way Week of 10.5.11 - Mittens, More Mittens and Even More Mittens

  • Terrye Kinch/ Kaye Wood, Inc
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2011
      Can't read this e-mail? CLICK HERE for the Real Deal!

      • Quilting Indulgences Boxes
      • West Branch, MI
      • Show and Tell
      • What's New
      • KayeWoodTV.com
      • Tips
      • Apple Recipes
      • Our Facebook Group
      • Words of Wisdom
      • CraftGossip
      • List Your Events!
      • This Day in History
      • QSC Expos

      "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird is incognito this week!....Follow us!

      Kaye's Schedule

      • 10.28-10.31 -- Houston, TX
      • 11.12 -- West Branch, MI

      48661

      Have you ever thought about making a photo quilt, or memory or picture quilt?

      Make a special memory quilt-by adding fabric photos. Gather together some of your favorite photos and transfer the photo to fabric following the directions on the photo transfer fabric.
      When your fabric photos are ready, it's time to have fun with them. I like to fussy-cut mine using one or more of the View & Do Shapes. My favorites for photos are the View & Do Hexagon and Octagon Shapes. Of course, fussy-cutting with the Heart Shape adds a little romance to the quilt. Each of the Shapes adds a little different theme to the quilt, so experiment with them all.
      Here is a hint to help with the photo placement. Make several paper copies of the fabric photo; then fussy-cut each of the papers into one of the View & Do Shapes to see which is your favorite. You might want to mix and match the Shapes or stick to just one Shape.
      The fabric photos can then be fused to a square background to make them easier to piece together. Or, with the Hexagon, Square and Octagon Shape one or more borders can be sewn to each block.
      For a really fast quilt, cut the quilt top the desired size and fuse the photo fabrics randomly on the quilt top.
      What a great anniversary quilt this would make!

      What's On Sale....

      Photo Album Quilt Pattern!

      This pattern is an excellent showcase for wonderful focal fabrics.

      This pattern uses innovative piecing techniques and is suitable for quilters just beyond the beginner level.

      Reg price..$9.00 Sale price... $7.00

      I Spy With A Twist Quilt Pattern!

      This pattern is features a more universal selection of novelty fabrics for the cover. It’s a fast quilt, easier than it looks, and appropriate for beginners.

      The instructions are well illustrated, and have been thoroughly tested.

      Reg price..$9.00 Sale price... $7.00

      Lots More On Our Sale Pages!

      Quilting Indulgences Boxes....

      Our Quilting Indulgences Boxes October theme will be Halloween. This box, will go on sale October 14th. First offering will be at 10AM EST. Second offering will be at 2PM EST.

      And Be sure to join us in West Branch, MI on Nov 12, 2011 For Kaye's own Show and Tell!

      This is the seminar that was originally scheduled for Oct 8, but we have rescheduled it due to family scheduling conflicts.

      More memory quilt ideas.... these can have a design or a theme, or they can be random. Once you've tried this technique, think how easy it will be to create wedding quilts, baby quilts, birthday quilts, graduation quilts, vacations quilts.... You name it!

      West Branch, MI One Day Seminar - Rescheduled....

      Attention all of you hunting widows...be sure to join us in gorgeous West Branch, MI, Nov 12, 2011 just a few days before rifle season opens for our one-day lecture/demo/trunk show and seminar.

      Sign up HERE!

      If you've ever seen Kaye do one of her seminars you know how much fun they are. And, she's back with new patterns, new stories and just as much fun as ever. But hurry....Seats are limited!

      Our Reader's Show and Tell....

      I have been a 'wannabe' quilter for about 35 years and finally completed my first quilt for my 82 year old Mom. I have done lots of hand quilting - mostly around panels, but had never cut, sewed, sandwiched and completed a quilt from scratch. I started this in January for Mother's Day, thinking I had plenty of time. We own a resort on Kentucky Lake and I just couldn't get all the piecing, applique and quilting done in time. I finished it in August and named it EXPRESSION OF LOVE. It is totally machine pieced and quilted. I used a couple of decorative stitches and my embroidery machine to do the label. I even used my budding free-hand quilting skills from a class I took in July. Mom loved her quilt and I am so glad to give it to her, knowing she will cherish it as much as I do her! I WILL be doing lots more quilting - eventually. This is a picture of my Mom (Jane Clemons) and me on the day I gave her the quilt. It is a 50" by 50" lap quilt for her blue and yellow lake room....Marilyn

      Click on the link below to see a picture of the back and label just because I’m kind of proud of it. Is that a quilting sin?!

      Check out all of our Show and Tell entries, and click on the pictures to make them bigger!

      Call For Show and Tell Entries....

      Send them in so we can feature your creations!

      Email your pictures and the story behind them to terrye@...

      Use your child's handprints or artwork from school to make a quilt. Or use leftover lace and baubles from a wedding to make a one of a kind keepsake quilt. Frame it or put it under glass, hang it on the wall and you have a permanent memory of that special day!

      What's New In Our Store....

      Mittens, More Mittens and Even More Mittens (patterns that is)!

      Kids Mittens, Adult Mittens, Recycled Sweater Mittens, Blinged Up Mittens; all super warm and waiting for your special touch!

      Our Toastie Adult Mittens Pattern is toastie with the thick, warm sherpa lining doubled up with cotton batting. You add your finishing touches on the tops of the mittens for one of a kind pair every time. The pattern includes full size pattern pieces and comes with a unique "Mitten Minder" set which allows you to hook these oversized beauties onto your purse strap. To loose one would be a pity.

      Our Toastie Adult Kids Pattern is toastie with the thick, warm sherpa lining doubled up with cotton batting same as the adult pattern. The pattern includes full size pattern pieces for 3. Make up a pair in about an hour.

      Exciting new mittens sewn from any sort of wool, by the yard, felted, even recycled! - They're sewn - not knit, and as warm as can be with super soft lining and thick wooly outer layer.

      Sky’s the limit on adornment. Bling them up to your heart's content! Use them as a palatte for you creativity. Applique', decorative stitches, beads, buttons, embroidery – make them sing, make them uniquely yours.

      Think outside the box when creating your memory quilts. Use t-shirts, logos and jerseys from sports teams, t-shirts, ties, baby clothes complete with medals, zippers, even matching shoes and socks to make your ideas come to life. Think scrapbooks! Make a large 3-D scrapbook page from your ideas and put them on the wall.

      This Week on KayeWoodTV.com!

      Make your own photo quilt with this innovative method from Tammie Bowser! This is awesome, and it's all done with light, medium and dark toned fabric scraps. Put them all together and enjoy the collage effect, but... take a step back and the photograph emerges!

      Then... sign up for Tammie's private video class at FreeQuiltClass.com !

      Reader's Hints, Tips and Techniques....

      I'm new at quilting. Freecycle is an awesome place to get someones unwanted fabric. Sometimes you can find new patterns already cut out that inspire you.....Jennifer

      I keep a lint roller next to my sewing machine at all times. It helps to catch my snipped threads. It is also helpful when I have to rip out a seam, I can just roll it over the threads and it picks them out of the material.....Lisa

      Apple Recipes!

      Apple Dumplings

      1 can crescent rolls
      1 Granny Smith apple, cut into 8th, peeled
      1/2 stick butter melted
      1/4 cup sugar
      cinnamon
      3 oz. Mountain Dew
      Roll out crescent rolls, place apple wedge on it and roll up. Place them in a greased 8X8 pan. Pour the melted butter and sugar, which have been mixed together, over the apples. Then pour the 3 oz. of Mountain Dew around the dumplings. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
      Bake 350 approx. 45 min....Judy
      Cool idea for a dorm quilt - take memorable t-shirts for your quilt squares, border with denim and back it with flannel, for a cuddly warm dorm quilt.
      Are You A Member of our Facebook Group?

      If not, you missed out on the opportunity to get some of our patterns at discounts only available to our FaceBook group!

      Click HERE to Join for Special Coupons and Deals!

      Words of Wisdom....

      "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else, is the greatest accomplishment." Ralph Waldo Emerson
      "The most important opinion you have is the one you have of yourself."
      "Someone's opinion of you does not have to become your reality." Les Brown
      "The best way to predict your future is to create it."
      "It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer." Albert Einstein
      "It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop." Confucius

      One of our favorite sites for quilting ideas is CraftGossip! Check them out, they have all kinds of crafting sections.
      List Your Event....

      This Day in History....

      • 1877 Chief Joseph surrendered to the U.S. Army.
      • 1910 King Manuel II was overnthrown in a revolution and Portugal became a republic.
      • 1921 The World Series was broadcast on the radio for the first time.
      • 1947 In the first televised White House address, President Truman urged Americans to refrain from eating meat on Tuesdays and poultry on Sundays to help starving people in other countries.
      • 1953 Earl Warren was sworn in as the 14th Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.
      • 1962 The Beatles released their first hit, "Love Me Do," in Britain.
      • 1990 Cincinnati's Contemporary Arts Center and its director were acquitted of obscenity charges resulting from an exhibit of Robert Mapplethorpe's photographs.
      • 2001 Barry Bonds broke Mark McGwire's record of 71 home runs in one season when he hit his 71st and 72nd homers.

      Sign up for our e-newsletter and get the latest information about our shows! Workshops, Seminars, Quilt Displays, Quilt Contests and much more!

      October in Nebraska!

      Have A Great Week!

      Kaye, Terrye and Kayla

      Our office will be closed Monday, Columbus Day.

      Stop by and meet us at the Lecture/Demo/Trunk Show in West Branch, on November 12, 2011!

      800-248-5293