Quilting The Kaye Wood Way Week of 5.11.11 - This Week's Guest Artist is Joan Hawley of Lazy Girl Designs!

    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2011

      Can't read this e-mail? CLICK HERE for the Real Deal!

      In This Issue....
      • Kaye's Blurb
      • What's On Sale
      • New In Our Store
      • KayeWoodTV.com
      • Show and Tell
      • Tips
      • Our Facebook Group
      • Guest Artist - Joan Hawley
      • Rocky Mountain Sew Expo
      • Ugly Quilt Contest Contest
      • List Your Events!
      • Kaye on TV
      • Food For Thought....

      Looks like "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird is out enjoying the spring breezes....Follow us!

      48661

      This week I have two big projects that I am trying to complete. The first is another version of "Life In The Meadow" using embroidered birds by Dalco Home Sew. The birds are a combination of embroidery and applique, all done in a hoop. The Birds are fussy-cut into a pentagon, using the View & Do Pentagon Shape. As each piece is added, it is trimmed using the Pentagon Shape to insure accuracy.
      A 3 dimensional look is achieved with loose wings. A picture of this quilt will be on our website soon.

      The other project is "Savage Star", a log cabin diamond star, using the View & Do Diamond Shape to fussy cut the center diamonds. As each strip is added, the ends are trimmed using the Diamond Shape to insure accuracy. This is one of the projects I will be teaching on the quilting cruise in June. I am updating the pattern, doing it in red and black; then kits need to be cut for the class. We will show this quilt on our website soon.

      What's On Sale....

      Joan Hawley of Lazy Girl Designs is our Guest Artist this week, so we're featuring the 3 patterns she talks about in her article. These three are all "fat quarter friendly", and all 3 are 25% off. Now's your chance to stock up on these quick, easy, great for gifts, patterns.

      Think of "end of the year" teacher's gifts, easy 4-H or Brownie projects. Perfect! Scroll down for cutting layouts.

      Maggie Bag - 2 sizes. The large size is perfect for your camera or cell phone and the small size is awesome for a gift card. Regular price is $8.00, this week, Maggie is on sale for $6.00

      Suzi Purse Insert or Organizer. Use it in your drawers. Use it on top of a table. Or, use it in your purse to keep everything in place! Regular price is $9.00 but this week, Suzi struts her stuff at a 25% off price of $6.75!

      Wonder Wallet - Perfect size for a gift card or to put your essentials in your pocket. Regular price is $8.00 but this week, on sale the Wonder Wallet is only $6.00!

      Check out our Sale Page for more bargains, clearance items, hurt patterns coming back from the shows and lots of other one of a kind items!!

      What's New In Our Store....

      Circles and Curves Pattern

      We have this and 4 other patterns to accompany the incredible Flip Flop Block Tool from Kathie Alyce.

      45mm Rotary Cutter from Clover. Soft cushioned handle, easy on the hands.

      Magnet Pin Cushion From Clover. Available in Pink, Purple (shown) and Green

      Skirting the Christmas Tree or Table Topper using the 120 Degree Triangle Ruler from Creative Grids.

      This week on KayeWoodTV.com!

      This jacket is sweatshirt based and uses the "stitch and flip" method of attaching bargello strips to the sweatshirt. You quilt the jacket as you go, so no additional quilting is needed except on the sleeve cuffs. Detailed fitting instructions included for a great fit no matter what your body shape might be.

      Our Reader's Show and Tell....

      This is my Stacking My Blocks, quilt completed at the Teacher's Certification class in Sun City , AZ March 9, 2011 - Sonya

      Ribbons from "Marlene" from Australia. This took a lot of patience but the end result was great. Still have to do the binding yet. - Helen

      do you have a project you'd like showcased?
      Send me the pictures and a story by clicking HERE!

      Reader's Hints, Tips and Techniques....

      Always clean your sewing machine and change your needle before starting a new project. I also use gray thread to piece all my quilts. For some reason gray goes with every color....Kelly

      When making flying geese, use a scant quarter inch seam and press your seams open with the iron. It makes a difference for me - I just made my first flying geese....Marcia

      Are You A Member of our Facebook Group?

      Click HERE to Join for Special Coupons and Deals!

      If you're not already a fan, you missed out on some great deals this week, including 20% off Jackets patterns and 25% off of the Flip Flop Patterns

      Guest Artist - Joan Hawley of Lazy Girl Designs!

      Joan Hawley is the creative genius behind Lazy Girl Designs. You can browse our site to find lots of her patterns, notions and rulers, and on KayeWoodTV.com she has numerous videos too.

      This week Joan's going to show us how to lay out the 3 patterns above on just 3 fat quarters.

      Materials Needed
      3 fat quarters of fabric
      The pattern for each project (on sale above!)
      Interfacing for Suzi
      Batting for Maggie
      Velcro and buttons for Wonder Wallets and Maggie

      Cutting Layouts
      Fat quarter dimensions are 20 – 22" wide by 18" high.

      #1 Fat Quarter: Suzi Purse Insert & More
      Medium Suzi: Skip the pockets and Suzi makes a perfect candy dish for holiday nibbles. As a candy dish, Suzi doesn't really need any pockets, unless you have a few candy canes that want to join the party and stand in a pocket. So all we need are the two Cover/Lining pieces - easy peasy! Fuse interfacing to the back of one fat quarter and cut for both Cover/Lining pieces. There is enough fabric left over on fat quarter #3 below for one pocket if you like.
      #2 Fat Quarter Maggie and Wonder Wallet
      Both Maggie and the Wonder Wallet are more fun if you use more than one fabric and mix it up a bit. The 5 Wonder Wallet pieces are noted as WW cover and WW #1-4 for the pockets.
      #3 Fat Quarter: Maggie and Wonder Wallet
      Cut the rest of the pieces needed for Maggie and two Wonder Wallets as shown. There is enough fabric to cut one pocket for Suzi if desired.

      Held every year in February & July. Sign up for our e-newsletter and get the latest info about Workshops, Seminars, Vendors, Attractions and more.

      May Contest....

      Come on, Gals (and Guys too). I know you have quilts or blocks that you're too embarrased to share. You know the ones I'm talking about, hidden in the back of the closet, or stashed in a box under the stairs. Take them out and give them a chance to win you a prize! It could be their only claim to fame!

      I want to see your UGLIEST quilts! And I'm talking U.G.L.Y!!

      Send me pictures of your UGLY quilts, or even just the blocks that were soooo ugly that you never finished them!

      We want to see them. Winner will get your choice of a View & Do Shape or Starmaker and an assortment of patterns to accompany your choice.

      Send pictures and stories HERE

      List Your Event....

      Kaye On TV....

      We get a lot of phone calls and emails asking where to find Kaye on their TV. The simple answer is we don't know, (sorry). Here's what to do. Call your PBS, cable and satellite providers and ask them. If they don't show it, ask them to add it to their lineup. Our shows are called Kaye's Quilting Friends and Quilting The Kaye Wood Way.

      Food For Thought - Retrospect on New Year's Resolutions....
      Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each New Year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
      We spend January 1st walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done, cracks to be patched. Maybe this year to balance the list, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives not looking for flaws, but for potential. Ellen Goodman
      It wouldn't be New Year's if I didn't have regrets. William Thomas
      New Year's Day. Now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good resolutions. Next week you can begin paving hell with them as usual. Mark Twain
      Good resolutions are simply checks that men draw on a bank where they have no account. Oscar Wilde
      One resolution I have made and try always to keep, is this: To rise above the little things. John Burroughs
      I think that's all for this week. Have a great week. Remember, we want to see those ugly quilts -

      from The staff at Kaye Wood, Inc!