Quilting The Kaye Wood Way, Week of 12.29.10 - Happy New Year!!

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2010

      • New In Our Store
      • Lake Havasu and Phoenix, AZ
      • KayeWoodTV.com
      • Show and Tell
      • Tips
      • Funny Stories
      • Ask Kaye
      • Useful Links
      • New Contest
      • New Year's Resolutions
      Quilting the Kaye Wood Way

      Looks like "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird found a frozen pond to enjoy....Follow us!

      48661

      Wow! Where did 2010 go? Are you ready for the New Year?

      Have you made your resolutions, and more importantly, do they include more quilting and crafting time for you?

      Before we get on to our regularly scheduled newsletter, we want to let you know that Kaye has scheduled a new show!

      Phoenix, AZ at the Arizona State Fair Grounds, Jan 27-29, 2011. Join us there!

      On Sale This Week....

      Attic Windows Pattern, Template and DVD!

      No Y-Seams here! The secret folding technique completely eliminates them. Wouldn't this be fun for an advent type of quilt? Letters, colors, flowers, birds, shapes, anything you want can hide in these attic windows, even small T-shirt logos! Includes two acrylic triangle tools, one etched with a window so you can preview your motif, and the secret folding technique to make your blocks without the Y-seam! Let your imagination take you away so your windows reflect pieces of you or your loved one!

      Sizes: Wallhanging, Baby, Lap, Twin, Queen

      This week, get the 28 minute DVd demonstrating this technique for only $5.00 with the Attic Windows Pattern and Template Set. That's $13.00 off the retail!

      What else is on sale?

      Tons of clearance merchandise, "last chance to get these before the price goes up" items, HURT items, end of year blow-outs, too many to list, but hurry, with a lot of these items, there is only one item left in stock and they won't be reordered! Also, keep checking back as more items will be added daily!

      Show Me The Sale Items!

      TONS of New Items In Our Shop....

      Here's a smattering of selections, but you can

      Check them ALL out HERE

      Market Bag Pattern, great for "going green" to the grocery store. Also works beautifully for a baby tote, project tote, beach bag, just about anything you'd need to take along with you. Kit includes enough QuiltSmart pre-printed interfacing for 2 bags!

      Sidelights Quilt/Wallhanging Pattern, perfect for a large focal fabric and coordinating medium prints.

      Aurora Borealis, Kaye's newest pattern using her Starmaker 6 Master Template and View & Do Hexagon Shapes. Celebrate the wonder of the Northern Lights using your batiks, hand-dyed fabrics and variagated shaded fabrics.

      Also available in "E" format!

      Is your home ready for a makeover? This line of Pillow Shams, Dust Ruffle and Valance from More Splash That Cash will coordinate with your quilts to bring a whole new life to your rooms.

      Fall Splendor

      Use our variagated prints, hand-dyeds and batiks to create this gorgeous seasonal quilt. But.. why not use greens to represent spring and summer, add some beads or crystals for raindrops or ice crystals!

      Kaye's next gig is in Lake Havasu, AZ.

      If you haven't signed up yet, there's still time, but hurry! The dates are January 12-13, 2011 and you can Click To Register For Quilter's Gone Wild, Quilter's At The Lake Quilt Show.

      Kaye will be doing a Teacher Certification Class as well as a Lecture/Demo/Trunk Show

      Then, after Lake Havasu, she's off to the Arizona State Fairgrounds for the Quilt, Craft and Sewing Festival, I'm telling you, this woman does NOT sit still!

      While you're in Home Makeover Mode, check out this FREE ONLINE VIDEO demonstrating how Kaye makes her "Kitchen Quilts", or potholders, placemats and table toppers.

      These patterns are from Kaye's Book, Stars Made Simple, which is available in "E" format, HERE

      Show & Tell....

      Here is my table runner made from the pattern Blazing Stars. I just love it. The picture does not do it justice. I was in the November 16th Teacher's Certification class at Boyd's in Traverse City, MI. I loved the class and all the patterns I bought. I can't wait to get started on another one.....Mary

      To see the rest of our Show & Tell Entries, go to our Community Tab at the top of our page and then click on the Show & Tell box!

      Tips From Our Readers....

      On Choosing Colors: Sometimes I choose my colors by the season it is, and most of the time it is by auditioning fabrics together. I bring bolts all together on a table at the Fabric Shop and a group of us will choose together, the sales person and anyone who is in the store at the time, but I pick out the first fabric to start with....Irene (sounds like a fun group activity, Irene!)

      We want your tips (or label ideas!)....

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below, and it will find a place in our newsletter! terrye@...?subject=sharewithus

      Funny Stories From Our Readers....

      Trying to find pants that fit has always been a problem, so you make your own right? Well I finally found a pattern that fit, cut it out, got it made, and it was absolutely perfect; except for one thing. I made them with a banana print on it. I never worn them, the banana was not in a nice place. Wish I'd kept the pattern though.

      Send us your funny stories! terrye@...?subject=funny stories

      Ask Kaye....

      Jan Asks: I have made several of the table mats (from the Stars Made Simple Ebook and also in the Fons and Porter Magazine - see video above) and still am having trouble with getting it to lay flat as I stitch the binding down, from the backing. Do you have any suggestions? It looks fine, but I want it to be FLAT. I am using a walking foot to tack it down, have also handstitched the edge, still have puckering.

      Kaye answers: Does your placemat lay flat before adding the backing?

      I'm only guessing about about the problem. I do know that when the magazine printed the article, they left out my techniques for cutting the ends of each strip added to the center hexagon. To insure accurate angles, I use my Starmaker 6 to cut the ends of each strip. Even a tiny difference can make it not lay flat.

      Do you have a question for our resident expert? Ask away and we'll feature it in upcoming newsletters! Also, Kaye will personally answer your questions.

      Send to: terrye@...?subject=ask_kaye

      Useful Links....
      Quilting The Kaye Wood Way blog.
      http://www.kayewood.com/blog

      List your event

      New Contest For January....

      Send in pictures of your quilts, wallhangings, pillows, placemats, tablerunners... whatever you've made using Kaye's Shapes, Tools and Templates. Get creative! Just because it's a quilt pattern doesn't mean it has to end up as a quilt! This contest will end on January 31st, so hurry! Don't think you can make the deadline? That's ok, keep sewing because we'll offer this again during the year!

      Email me the pictures, and the story behind your project and you could win your choice of one of Kaye's Tools, Templates or Shapes along with a selection of patterns specially designed for that item.

      Here are some tips to help you obtain and stick to your New Year's Resolutions!

      1) Be realistic.
      The surest way to fall short of your goal is to make your goal too hard.
      2) Plan ahead.
      Don't make your resolution on New Year's Eve. If you wait until the last minute, it will be based on your mindset of that particular day.
      3) Outline your plan.
      Decide how you will deal with the temptation to skip exercise or have one more cigarette.
      4) Make a "pro" and "con" list.
      It will help to see items listed on paper to keep you motivated.
      5) Talk about it.
      Don't keep your resolution a secret. Tell people who will be there to support your changes.
      6) Reward yourself.
      Celebrate your success by treating yourself to something you enjoy, that doesn't affect your resolution.
      7) Track your progress.
      Short term goals are easier to keep and help you stay motivated. Keep track of each small success on the way to your big goal.
      8) Don't be hard on yourself.
      Everyone slips, get over it. Do the best you can and take it one day at a time.
      9) Stick to it.
      Experts say it takes about 21 days for a new activity to become a habit and 6 months for it to become part of your personality.
      10) Keep trying.
      If you run out of steam a month or so into it, just start over again!

      That's all for this week

      Have a great week (and an AWESOME New Year) from

      The staff at Kaye Wood, Inc!

      Terrye Kinch/Kaye Wood, Inc