Quilting The Kaye Wood Way, 12.8.10

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2010

      • New In Our Store
      • Lake Havasu, AZ Seminar and Teacher Training
      • Quilting Gallery
      • KayeWoodTV.Com
      • Show and Tell
      • Tips
      • Funny Stories
      • Ask Kaye
      • Useful Links
      • Christmas Holiday Facts
      Quilting the Kaye Wood Way

      Today, "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird seems to be stuck in a snowstorm....Follow us!

      48661

      As the snow flitters and flurries around, we, here at Kaye's Quilting Friends are getting more and more new toys in our shop.

      Check out our Check It Out Page, accessible from our Shop!

      On Sale This Week

      Stained Glass Kit, Pattern and Diamond Shape Regularly &68.00, this week only get all 3 for only $50.00! (That's $18.00 off)

      Now, this gorgeous wallhanging is available in kit form!
      Includes enough fabric to create 4 Iris panels and appliques, and a disk with the embroidery pattern and tutorial, Kaye's Stained Glass Pattern and View & Do Diamond Shape round out this amazing offer!

      What else is on Sale?

      15+ items including clearance and hurt items.

      Click HERE to see all of our Sale Items!

      TONS of New In Our Store Items....

      Th Quilting Gallery

      is a community web site dedicated to inspiring quilters' creativity, sharing ideas, making connections and having fun. It includes the Quilting Bloggers directory with more than 4,600 members from 73 countries; the Quilt Shop Locator - a unique map-based directory of quilt shops, online retailers and other quilting professionals throughout the world; Quilter's Market features quilting-related products; a map-based directory of Quilt Guilds; and the Quilting Gallery Blog with free patterns, tutorials, swaps, guest bloggers, weekly contests and quilting events.

      Kaye's next gig is Lake Havasu in Arizona.

      If you haven't signed up yet, there's still time, but hurry! The dates are January 12-13, 2011 and you can Click To Register For Quilter's Gone Wild, Quilter's At The Lake Quilt Show.

      Kaye will be doing a Teacher Certification Class as well as a Lecture/Demo/Trunk Show

      On KayeWoodTV.Com....

      Stained Glass Iris

      While spring and summer may be no more than a memory, here's a reminder. Gorgeous Stained Glass Iris Wallhanging

      Click Here to get your own kit, everything you need, on sale this week!

      Watch the video HERE

      Show & Tell....

      I purchased the Rings That Bind Book and Template from you. Here is the finished twin XL quilt and the matching 24" sq pillow sham that I made. I hope you like what I accomplished. It is different from that was illustrated, but I;m proud of the way it turned out. Thank you for the new method of making a quilt. I'm sure I'll make more....Lorraine

      To see the rest of our Show & Tell Entries, go to our Community Tab at the top of our page and then click on the Show & Tell box!

      Tips From Our Readers....

      I put together a very old (60-70 years old) elaborate quilt top and handquilted it for a friend. Her grandmother had made it 65 years ago. When I did the label, I put "To: (my friend's name) and made by" (her grandmother's name). She found an old photo of her grandmother and we put that on the label, with the grandmother's name, date of birth and date of death. I put my name as the one completing it and the date....Karen

      This is my creativity label for a quilt I made for my brother and his wife....Darlene

      We want your tips (or label ideas!)....

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below, and it will find a place in our newsletter! terrye@...?subject=sharewithus

      Funny Stories From Our Readers....

      I like to have a sewing project in progress so last year I started a queen size quilt in a nine patch star pattern. My late husband had been a Marine, so I choose a gold color for the stars and rich red for the background. The center of each star was a square patterned in gold and black. I worked away for months, lined it and quilted the entire thing.
      When I finally finished and put it on the bed, oh how gaudy it was. For a little variety I had even varied the stars with some purple and some blue around the border. I looked at it for weeks and polled my friends on it. Their comments were very guarded but nobody really liked it, and as the days went by, I liked it less and less myself. I finally rolled it up and put it away on a high shelf in the garage.
      I don't think it has any future at all, but if you happen to have an elephant and are going to have it lead a circus parade and want a covering for it, this quilt would be perfect!

      Send us your funny stories! terrye@...?subject=funny stories

      Ask Kaye....

      A Reader Asks: I want to use a bamboo bat in the quilt I'm currently making. Would it be best to pre-shrink the bat, since it says on the label that it shrinks 2-3%? If some of the fabrics in the quilt have not been pre-shrunk, will there be a problem? All fabrics are cotton.

      Kaye answers: I have not used any bamboo bats yet. I would suggest that you contact the manufacturer for suggestions.

      I do not pre-wash my fabrics any more. Cottons used to shrink or the colors would run. That doesn't seem to happen any more. The only fabrics I would pre-test by wetting a small piece are the very darks. If the color bleeds, I would pre-wash the whole piece of fabric.
      Muslin might still shrink a little, so I would pre-wash any muslins.

      Do you have a question for our resident expert? Ask away and we'll feature it in upcoming newsletters! Also, Kaye will personally answer your questions.

      Send to: terrye@...?subject=ask_kaye

      Useful Links....
      Quilting The Kaye Wood Way blog.
      http://www.kayewood.com/blog

      Kaye Wood Inc. Catalog
      Our catalog is available online, anytime, anywhere!
      Convenient shopping day or night!
      http://www.kayewood.com/cover.pdf

      List your event

      Quilting The Kaye Wood Way Forum
      http://www.kayewood.com/forum/

      Christmas Holiday Facts
      Along the shores of the Mississippi River, especially the Louisiana coast line, bonfires are lit on Christmas Eve. Their purpose is to guide the way for Father Christmas.
      A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens is the world's most read Christmas story.
      Irving Berlin wrote the wonderful carol, "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" in 1942, specifically for the move Holiday Inn starring Bing Crosby.
      Those who kiss under the mistletoe have the promise of happiness and good luck in the following year.
      The world's most famous Christmas carol is "Silent Night".
      The song, "Jingle Bells" was originally named, "One Horse Open Sleigh" and was written for Thanksgiving not Christmas.
      The custom of leaving cookies for Santa originated in Germany, where trees were decorated with fruit, flowers and sweets. After leaving gifts for the good children, Santa would help himself to the goodies on the tree

      Are you still with us? This week, we're giving away one Petal Play Cardinal Pattern to one lucky reader. All you have to do is submit your favorite "January Tradition", poem, story, or quilt top, depicting a January theme to us, and we'll publish them in the January newsletters.

      Click here to submit your traditions and win your very own Petal Play Cardinal Pattern!

      That's all for this week

      Have a great week from

      The staff at Kaye Wood, Inc!

      Terrye Kinch/Kaye Wood, Inc