Quilting The Kaye Wood Way, Week of 12.1.10

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2010

      • New In Our Store
      • Lake Havasu, AZ Seminar and Teacher Training
      • KayeWoodTV.Com
      • Show and Tell
      • Tips
      • Funny Stories
      • Ask Kaye
      • Useful Links
      Quilting the Kaye Wood Way

      Today, "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird seems to be stuck in a snowstorm....Follow us!

      48661

      Help Wanted....

      If you were looking for videos online having to do with sewing, quilting.... what search terms would you use, and which search engine would you put them in?

      Let me know, HERE

      Hi Quilters,

      Our resident SnowBird has flown the coop and now finds herself in Arizona for the winter. But, it's business as usual here at KayeWood.com!

      On Sale This Week

      FREE shipping on our 3 new Holiday patterns! (US only, sorry)

      New In Our Store....

      Spinning Diamonds Kit!

      Kit includes fabric for the top and the pattern to make one 54" x 47" Wallhanging.

      Uses the Starmaker 6 (sold separately).

      Size: 54" x 47"

      Suzi Purse/Drawer/Basket Insert and Organizer.

      Does your purse needs an inner purse? Something small to organize all the little loose things that migrate to the bottom of your purse.

      Suzi also makes a great organizer or caddy and is wonderful to use for sewing or desk supplies.

      Charisma Slipper Boot Pattern

      Youth sizes 13-5, and Women's size 6-10 Make the boots using just one fabric or mix them up as shown. The cuddle fleece details make these reminiscent of the Ugg boots. Make a more custom fit with the tie straps behind the ankles and shins.

      Bellanca Bag Pattern

      Finished size is 12" high, 15"wide and 5" deep.. Pockets, pockets and more pockets are featured, along with a drawstring closure and fabric handles. The elastic pockets on the outside can be made from coordinating fabrics to spice up this gorgeous little girl. Gromets and metal handle squares finish out the detailing on Bellanca.

      Christmas Trio Wallhanging

      Included in this kit are the pattern, instructions and laser cut fusible appliques, as well as background and border fabrics from Benartex. To complete your wallhanging, you'll need 8x22" low loft batting, 1/4 yd heavy weight fusible web and hot glue.

      Angel Of Mercy

      The Angel of Mercy raises her hands in a bestowal of blessing on all who view her. The white-on-white calico fabric creates the perfect back drop to showcase the delicate curves of her gown, her widespread wings and shining halo. A garland of flowers frames this beautiful creature.

      This pattern would be a perfect compliment to your treasured hand dyeds, batiks and blenders.

      Special One

      Marbled green fabrics and bright pastels create an enchanting garden around this heavenly creature. Her hands stretch toward Heaven where rays of light shower down upon her. Beautiful curves flow around her as she lifts her praises of thanksgiving.

      Use your own hand-dyed, batiks, blenders, or marled fabrics to create a one of a kind wallhanging for your "Special One"

      Kaye's next gig is Lake Havasu in Arizona.

      If you haven't signed up yet, there's still time, but hurry! The dates are January 12-13, 2011 and you can Click To Register For Quilter's Gone Wild, Quilter's At The Lake Quilt Show.

      Kaye will be doing a Teacher Certification Class as well as a Lecture/Demo/Trunk Show

      On KayeWoodTV.Com....

      Petal Play Cardinal!

      Beautiful winter setting with one of your favorite birds!

      Click Here to get your own pattern!

      Watch the video HERE

      Get your own copy of this DVD!

      Show & Tell....

      Pattern is "LeSpring Bouquet". Picture 2 of 2 shows a close up of the center panel. Quilt is basically made up of borders around said panel; with only one piecework block border. The 'scalloped' border is made from a floral stripe fabric, which I truly fell in love with. I made it for our annual church dinner drawing, so again I didn't get to keep the quilt.....Sharon

      To see the rest of our Show & Tell Entries, go to our Community Tab at the top of our page and then click on the Show & Tell box!

      Tips From Our Readers....

      Awhile back we asked for label ideas. Well, here's one of them. We'll feature more later!

      Reads:

      Priceless

      3 Jelly Rolls of Moda Fabric - 90.00
      5 yds of backing - 45.00
      Batting - 22.00
      Binding - 7.00
      Quilting by Country Sampler - 98
      Seeing my husband's face when he reads this - PRICELESS!

      We want your tips (or label ideas!)....

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below, and it will find a place in our newsletter! terrye@...?subject=sharewithus

      Funny Stories From Our Readers....

      I was following a pattern and found that I did not have enough of a particular fabric to finish the flying geese. I scrounged all of the scraps and fudged and eked out just enough. Then, as I read further, I had to square them all off and cut them down so that they were half the size of the original block! Time and material wasted. If I had read ahead, I would have made them the correct size in the first place. .....Judith

      Send us your funny stories! terrye@...?subject=funny stories

      Ask Kaye....

      Dora Asks: I am having problems with matching points. I seem to get them off lined, I also would like to know if you have a video on showing how to square up your blocks.

      Kaye answers: Matching points is sort of a science. It depends on the grainline of the fabric, the actual fabric (100% cotton is easiest) and some tricks of the trade. I only pin to match when absolutely necessary, and then the pin must go along the grainline of the fabric, which is usually along the seamline. Stitch with the straight of grain fabric on the top if you are matching a bias edge with a straight edge. Do not press with steam or finger press (both will stretch the fabric). For 60 degree angles, no pins are necessary; just use my 60 degree matching technique. A needle match will keep your edges even.

      These techniques and many more for seam matching are included in my book, Everyone Can Quilt.

      Do you have a question for our resident expert? Ask away and we'll feature it in upcoming newsletters! Also, Kaye will personally answer your questions.

      Send to: terrye@...?subject=ask_kaye

      Useful Links....
      Quilting The Kaye Wood Way blog.
      http://www.kayewood.com/blog

      Kaye Wood Inc. Catalog
      Our catalog is available online, anytime, anywhere!
      Convenient shopping day or night!
      http://www.kayewood.com/cover.pdf

      List your event

      Quilting The Kaye Wood Way Forum
      http://www.kayewood.com/forum/

      According to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, while both male and female reindeer grow antlers in the summer each year, male reindeer drop their antlers at the beginning of winter, usually late November to mid-December. Female reindeer retain their antlers till after they give birth in the spring.

      Therefore, according to EVERY historical rendition depicting Santa 's reindeer, EVERY single one of them, from Rudolph to Blitzen, had to be a girl. We should've known... ONLY women would be able to drag an overweight man in a red velvet suit all around the world in one night and not get lost.

      That's all for this week

      Have a great week from

      The staff at Kaye Wood, Inc!

      Terrye Kinch/Kaye Wood, Inc