Quilting The Kaye Wood Way Newsletter - Week of 11.17.10

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2010

      • New In Our Store
      • Lake Havasu, AZ Seminar and Teacher Training
      • Crazy Quilts
      • KayeWoodTV.Com
      • Show and Tell
      • Tips
      • Funny Stories
      • Ask Kaye
      • Useful Links
      Quilting the Kaye Wood Way

      Today, "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird is dreaming of pumpkin pie....Follow us!

      48661

      Well, it's deer season, opening week, here. How many hunters do we have? How many hunters partners?

      Looking forward to flying south for the winter, where I will hunt for sunshine and the warm water in the local pool.

      Holiday Extravaganza Sale....

      Strip Quilting Projects Book 9 - Only &6.00!!

      The Victorian Sampler Quilt. 12 blocks remiscent of the Victorian Era. Complete instructions for all 12 blocks, plus variations, tips and techniques.

      This offer is good for one day only, but never fear, check your newsletter tomorrow for a brand new sale!

      New In Our Store....

      We now have the new patterns from Joan Shay of Petal Play. Hummingbird and Beach Roses, Monarchs at Play and Bald Eagle. These are awesome 3-dimensional patterns using Joan's unique Appli-Bond Technique.

      Also, scroll down to find Kaye's Newest Pattern, Aurora Borealis. This pattern, which also comes in electronic format, uses the Starmaker 6 Master Template as well as the View & Do Hexagon Shapes to create this gorgeous wallhanging. Use your batiks, hand dyeds, and imagination to create a very original piece of art!

      Kaye's next gig is Lake Havasu in Arizona.

      If you haven't signed up yet, there's still time, but hurry! The dates are January 12-13, 2011 and you can Click To Register For Quilter's Gone Wild, Quilter's At The Lake Quilt Show.

      Kaye will be doing a Teacher Certification Class as well as a Lecture/Demo/Trunk Show

      Crazy Quilting

      Crazy Quilts got their name from the totally crazy disorganized look using scraps of leftover fabrics. Dressmaking fabrics were often used, such as velvets. They are usually made into blocks from 8" to 14" in size.

      A real crazy quilt has no definite pattern. The pieces are added using several different techniques:
      1. Lay the fabric down and top stitch. Leave raw edged or cover them with scraps of ribbon, lace or other trims.

      2. Lay the first piece down in a corner or in the center. Lay the subsequent pieces down on the first, right sides together; sew; trim seam allowance if necessary (since you might be placing this piece at a different angle than the first. Flip the new piece to right side up. Keep adding pieces and trims.

      There are some quilters who want to be more organized in their crazy quilting. They use distinct shapes, and use either of the above way to sew the pieces together. Some companies even offer patterns for "planned" crazy quilting.

      On KayeWoodTV.Com....

      These are the days when you feel like you need a jacket, but maybe not too heavy. Try our Woodland Hooded Jacket on for a test run!

      Check out this technique by Elaine Waldschmidt and then Click Here to get your own pattern!

      This is all the jacket you'll need for the cooler weather! You decide how warm it will keep you by the batting you choose. Loose fitting, with dropped shoulders, side seam pockets, zippered front and attached hood, minimal piecing allows you to quilt and construct this jacket in no time.

      Sizes: S-XXL

      Events....

      Hey, everyone! Our EVENTS page is lonely. Now, I know there's not a lot of quilt shows going on during the winter months, but I'm sure there are a few! Email me and tell me when and where your quilt events are....

      Show & Tell....

      Back in June, in Reno, I took your Teacher Certification Class using the Starmaker 8. Attached is the project picture. Loved the class as well as the techniques. I have two classes scheduled and there is a lot of interest in the display. I am affiliated with Sew Smart in Marshfield, WI, and have had a very busy summer getting displays sewn and up. I always under estimate the amount of time I have and number of other commitments.

      Thank you for a fun day. You make learning enjoyable in spite of our intimidations....Faye

      To see the rest of our Show & Tell Entries, go to our Community Tab at the top of our page and then click on the Show & Tell box!

      Tips From Our Readers....

      Hi Kaye,
      Just read the tip about masking tape residue. I've started using painters' tape in my sewing room for marking rulers, picking up threads, etc. It doesn't leave the residue that other tapes leave....Anne

      We want your tips....

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below, and it will find a place in our newsletter! terrye@...?subject=sharewithus

      Funny Stories From Our Readers....

      My first quilt was for my daughter, she was getting married. The groom wanted navy and green. I added beige and made a lovers knot. It went together well. Then I called three different quilters and would have to be on a waiting list for a year! So I decided to quilt it myself. I pinned and clipped the top, batting and back together. The back was also navy blue. Then I got this great idea to use monofilamint thread. My idea was it wouldn't show if I made a mistake. I quilted half of the top and then looked at the back!What a mess! It was full of big tucks and wrinkles! So I had to get that thread out! What a job. My second daughter was also getting married and took the quilt home to take out the stitching while I made her a log cabin quilt. I did quilt them on my sewing machine, but they had hundreds of pins in them!.....Sharon

      Send us your funny stories! terrye@...?subject=funny stories

      Ask Kaye....

      Angela Says: I have been sewing a couple of pieced tablecloths for two years off and on and am almost ready to start the finishing process. How would you suggest that I finish them? I have thought of placing an iron-on stabilizer or pellon on the back of the pieced tops, then perhaps a flannel fabric on the back. What would you suggest? I don't think they need to be as heavy as a quilt. Thanks for your input.

      Kaye answers: I prefer to use an envelope (pillow case) style finish for tablecloths. Batting is optional. Just cut a backing the same size as the top. Pin the top and backing right side together and sew around 3 1/2 sides-leave an opening about 12" long along one of the sides. Turn right sides out. Press. Hand or machine stitch to close up the opening. For a non slip surface, use flannel that has been washed and machine dried.

      Do you have a question for our resident expert? Ask away and we'll feature it in upcoming newsletters! Also, Kaye will personally answer your questions.

      Send to: terrye@...?subject=ask_kaye

      Useful Links....
      Quilting The Kaye Wood Way blog.
      http://www.kayewood.com/blog

      Kaye Wood Inc. Catalog
      Our catalog is available online, anytime, anywhere!
      Convenient shopping day or night!
      http://www.kayewood.com/cover.pdf

      List your event

      Quilting The Kaye Wood Way Forum
      http://www.kayewood.com/forum/

      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that matter - don't mind... and those that mind - don't matter.' - Maxine

      That's all for this week

      Have a great week from