Quilting The Kaye Wood Way, Week of 10.27.10

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 27, 2010

      • New In Our Store
      • Christmas Sales Are Coming...
      • New Seminars, Retreats and Teacher Training Classes
      • Why Should You Label Your Quilts
      • KayeWoodTV.Com
      • Show and Tell
      • Tips
      • Free Pattern
      • Funny Stories
      • Ask Kaye
      • The Storm
      • Useful Links
      Quilting the Kaye Wood Way

      Today, "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird is dreaming of pumpkin pie....Follow us!

      48661

      Stormy Weather! We've had thunderstorms, tornado watches, hail, gale force winds, torrential rains, and even a bit of sun all in one week. Whew!

      On Sale This Week....

      .99 Shipping Sale

      I know you like your reduced shipping, so this week, on 3 of our patterns and 1 book, the shipping will only be .99 cents.

      Click Here to get .99 cent shipping!

      Don't miss the hurt books, close out specials, and sale merchandise, all on the same page! HERE

      Stay tuned for our annual Christmas Sales. We'll be posting a different special (with the exception of Nov. 3), from Nov 1 to Dec 3. Deep discounts, freebies, shipping specials, combination packages, you'll never guess what we've come up with.

      New In Our Store....

      Both by designer Lila Tueller, we have the Bellanca Bag Pattern. Super cute, with lots of pockets and lots of fun details. Only $8.50

      And Charisma Boots/Slipper Pattern. Classic Ugg styling with adjustable ties. Make them all in one fabric or have fun mixing it up, these will be a hit. Only $8.50

      Attention Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin and Ontario area quilters....

      Hurry and Sign up for our 11.15 Seminar in Traverse City, MI. If you're going to be a deer hunting widow you'll be sure to want to be there.

      To sign up for or get more info on the Traverse City, MI seminar click here

      Teacher Training Classes in West Branch, MI

      have been scheduled in West Branch, MI for the following dates. Click on the links to sign up!

      Nov 3, 2010

      Teacher Training Class in Traverse City, MI
      Nov 16, 2010

      Quilter's Retreat in Mackinaw City, MI... Kaye Will Be Here!

      Mackinaw Luxury Quilters' Retreat

      Northern Michigan's Largest Quilt Retreat from only $69 for Three Days.
      UnFinished Object Sewing
      November 5-7, 2010
      Kaye will be doing talks on the following subjects:

      • Fussy Cutting for Quilts
      • Grandmoter’s flower garden – no templates, no cutting hexagons, no paper piecing,
      • Tips and tricks for perfect star points
      • Topless triangles

        Why You Should Label Your Quilts....

        An ideal label should be attached to your quilt with the following information:
        Name of the quilt
        Your name as the maker
        The date it was started
        The date it was finished
        For whom was it made
        For what event-birth, wedding, graduation, etc.
        Any other information you want to include.

        Quilt historians spend lots of time tracking down this information on old quilts. Let's help the next generation out by providing this information.

        How to make a label:
        The label can be made as one of the blocks on the front.
        It can be made into a block for the back.
        You can make your own label using embroidered letters, screen-printed letters, permanent ink or purchased labels that you just fill in.
        Make the label extra special with calligraphy and artwork.

        How to attach a label:
        Hand baste the label in place before quilting; the quilting stitches will then hold the label in place.
        Or, stitch the label in place after the quilting is done.

        Quilters, share your labels with us. We would like to see how creative you can be.
        Send us your ideas!

        On KayeWoodTV.Com....

        Glaciers. Yes. Glaciers. Up here in Northern Michigan we will soon be surrounded by snow and ice, reminiscent of glaciers. And it will be cold. So we will quilt. no? These glaciers aren't cold.

        Watch Kaye as she demonstrates her Glacier Ice pattern.

        Glacier Ice Pattern Kaye Wood

        Then after you've decided to make your own glacier stop by Kaye's Strip Cut Quilts Book, just click HERE You can also view some of the other projects in that book.

        Show & Tell....

        I’m Janie. Ed and I own Skidway Lake Motel. I've met Kaye often – at Best Western and Carolines. I've finished my embroidered state flower block quilt (took 3 years). Sending picture (before it was longarmed by Caroline).

        Send us pictures of your finished projects along with your story. We'll publish it HERE!!

        To see the rest of our Show & Tell Entries, go to our Community Tab at the top of our page and then click on the Show & Tell box!

        Tips From Our Readers....

        Hi Kaye,
        I use freezer paper when I need a template for just a few pieces. By ironing 3 or 4 sheets of freezer paper together (stack them waxy side down then iron) it forms a thickness equal to thin cardboard. Then cut out your desired shape. Very sturdy and it will stick to fabric several times before you’ll need to discard it. ......Jeannette

        We want your tips....

        Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below, and it will find a place in our newsletter! terrye@...?subject=sharewithus

        It's October!

        It's Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

        It's Time for a Free Pattern!

        This is an oldie but goodie. The pillow is made from flannels by the Marcus Brothers Fabric Company.

        Click here to get your Free Breast Cancer Pillow Pattern!

        Funny Stories From Our Readers....

        I wanted to share my story which I really thought would be the story to beat as far as time to finish a quilt! I started my first quilt when I attended a class at a local fabric store in Chicago and I was hooked! We made a small tulip and quilted it inside a 6 inch wooden hoop, then trimmed off the edges, added a ribbon to the gold tension clasp and wallah! After that I made a simple nine square 12 inch quilt block for Christmas. I did not know what to do with it at the time and wanted to add on to it, but I didn't know how. So I started reading magazines and visiting the local fabric store. They were offering a small bag of scraps that were pre-cut to 5x5 in squares. Those costing only a few dollars were all I could afford for a hobby in our budget! By trimming the squares I eventually designed my version of a nine square that had a bit different of a look with one large Square in the middle 4, 2x5 squares around that and 4 2x2's in the corners. Since my first block was a Christmas block, I designed a Holiday quilt for my Family that featured a block for each special holiday and each family member. When I started this project I was home after having my second son, looking for ways to be creative and fill up nap time! After needing to return to the workforce, time became a luxury that I would dearly miss at times. But I tried to work on the family quilt, when I could (and when I was not making gifts for other occasions). So, when trying to complete the last block (which was a problem for me to design as I had run out of main holidays and did not have a final block to complete the quilt), My neighbor and stitching buddy had reminded me that I could make a block for the most recent event that we had finally been blessed with, our new and very first home! So that idea became the special event for the final block to complete what I hope and feel will be our family HEIRLOOM FOR YEARS TO COME!
        My second son was 25 years old at the time I completed the quilt, but I am very proud as I designed each template, hand pieced all the blocks and hand quilted every stitch! Thank You for letting me share my story. I have often wanted to share it :) So to the lady that took 30 years, you have me beat.....Patty

        Send us your funny stories! terrye@...?subject=funny stories

        Ask Kaye....

        Marg asks: All my life I have been a sewer. Now the kids are grown up and practical sewing is not necessary. But this leaves me with a lot of left over pieces of fabric. I just can't get myself to part with them, often think I'd like a simple quilting patern where I could use my pieces and perhaps donate the quilts to a good will.
        I realize I could use plain blocks, but is there something else, easy but not so predictable?? .

        Kaye answers: It sounds like you are about to become addicted to my favorite passion. It starts with wanting to use up fabrics in your stash. Then you have to buy one or two fabrics to go along with what is in your stash, then pretty soon it is all new fabrics. Then you buy fabrics, not for a particular project, but because they shout out to you, "buy me, take me home, love me".

        One of my favorite quilts to use up fabrics is in my book, Everyone Can Quilt. The quilt in the book was made by Emily, who was 16 years old. It was her first quilt. While Emily's quilt was made from pieces of flannel, it looks great in any type of fabric.

        Emily's quilt is made from 2" x 8" rectangles. These are sewn into a row, with the rectangles placed horizontally. The rows are made as long as you want. Rows are then sewn together with a 2" sashing strip. There are no seams to match. It is a quilt that can be worked on in short time segments and it goes together quickly. The more colors used, the better the quilt looks.

        Be sure to send us a picture of your finished quilt.

        Do you have a question for our resident expert? Ask away and we'll feature it in upcoming newsletters! Also, Kaye will personally answer your questions.

        Send to: terrye@...?subject=ask_kaye

        The Storm
        Hear the thunder rumble, a sound from miles away
        Is it getting nearer, or over for today
        A flash of blinding light, electric in the skies
        Looking out the window, it really hurts my eyes
        After comes the rumble, the clash of cloud on cloud
        Feel the floor vibrating, that one was really loud
        Still more lightning flashes, it hit's the old oak tree
        Lightning in the garden, now that's too close for me....Dean Thorpe

        Useful Links
        Quilting The Kaye Wood Way blog.
        http://www.kayewood.com/blog

        Kaye Wood Inc. Catalog
        Our catalog is available online, anytime, anywhere!
        Convenient shopping day or night!
        http://www.kayewood.com/cover.pdf

        List your event

        Quilting The Kaye Wood Way Forum