Quilting The Kaye Wood Way, Week of 10.6.10

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2010

      • Last Week's Contest
      • Another New Contest
      • Choosing Patterns
      • KayeWoodTV.Com
      • Show and Tell
      • Tips
      • Funny Stories
      • Ask Kaye
      • Words of Wisdom
      Quilting the Kaye Wood Way

      Today, "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird is frolicking in all of the fallen leaves....Follow us!

      48661

      It's a beautiful fall day. We're on the verge of our peak season, when all of the color tours are ramped up to take advantage of the gorgeous reds/oranges and neon salmon colors of our Maples, the different shades of goldens and yellows of the Beech, Oak and Elms and the stark greens of the Pines and Cedars. It's truly a painter's canvas of colors this time of year up in Northern Michigan!

      On Sale This Week....

      Every girl needs a new purse for fall! And this duo is just what you've been looking for. This week, from Lazy Girl Designs, is Margo (pictured left), a "just right" sized tote bag/purse and the Wonder Wallet (pictured right) to hold your credit cards and change. Make them match. Make them to coordinate. Best of all, when you buy the Margo purse pattern, the Wonder Wallet pattern is 1/2 price! That's right! Just $15.50 for both patterns.

      But only for a week! Click Here to get this awesome deal!

      Last Week's Contest....

      Seems a lot of you talk to your fabrics. It's ok, I get it, I talk to mine too!

      Bolts of fabric will jump out at you in the store, mysteriously appear in your shopping cart, or follow you up and down the isles begging you to take them with you. Yeah, it's happened to me too! One interesting tip that came from a reader is to use the dots on the selvedge edge, those are all of the colors in the fabric you're looking at. If you match by those, your quilts will be color coordinated!

      Quite a few of you claimed to have "no stash". Wait! What??? No stash? Some of you have used your stash to make scrap quilts for different charities, that's AWESOME!!

      Some of you relate color choices and combinations to emotions. That's cool too! There are NO wrong ways to choose your colors, just remember that.

      About half of you choose your colors according to your pattern choices.

      Here's our winner, Tommie from AZ:

      Usually I'm inspired by a beautiful piece of fabric. Then I start.....adding, removing, testing, coordinating, contrasting, taking a shot in the dark. There is nothing too wild or silly to try.

      And when I'm satisfied that I have most of the necessary fabrics, I start to look for the color that will make the rest of them pop. Usually that turns out to be a nasty lime green.

      I just hate that color, but it ends up in about 80-90% of the quilts I make because it's just the right things to make all the other colors look twice as good as they would otherwise. It's that wonderful surprise color that suddenly brings the whole color palate to life. Sometimes it's magenta, sometimes it's a red-orange, but most of the time it's lime green that looks like it has a light behind it.

      I think one of the hardest things I had to learn as a quilter was to let go of the colors I liked, and to use the colors that worked.

      Traverse City, MI....

      One Day Seminar and Teacher Certification Class have been rescheduled!

      Click on the links above for more info....

      New Contest....

      Send us a scan or picture of the ugliest fabric you've ever used in a quilt. Each entry will receive one point. Another bonus point if you include a picture of the finished quilt/tablerunner/wall hanging...

      Prize is your choice of 5 of Kaye's Patterns!

      Send me your entries!!

      Now That You Have Your Perfect Fabrics Chosen, How Do You Choose What Pattern To Sew....

      Kaye's version of this process....

      "I start with my Starmakers and View & Do Shapes and the fabric I've pulled out of my closets. there may be one that wants to be fussy-cut, or one that is screaming "angles!!"

      I go from there. Usually the end result in no way resembles what I had in my head to start.

      Click HERE to tell us your pattern choosing methods

      On KayeWoodTV.Com....

      This week we've got two of Joan Hawley's purses on sale. Here's a video that shows some of her methods. Watch as she and Kaye demonstrate the Summer Tote Bag!

      Summer Tote Bag With Joan Hawley and Kaye Wood

      Get your own Summer Tote pattern HERE

      Show & Tell....

      Kaye's Spinning Diamonds, by Mary Cole, Certified Teacher....Mary

      Tips From Our Readers....

      This is a tip for Miss Muffin. If you really want the baby quilt to go fast, use double faced fusible web for the circles. You can iron at night when the baby is asleep. But your pieces will be stuck in place until you are able to complete the applique sewing part. They won't move or shift. I have used one sided fusible but you have to turn pieces inside out and sew them twice. Since you have baby and are short on time try the two sided applique. You iron to back of fabric, cut out shapes, iron to background and sew to stabilize or just to embellish. There are some no sew fusibles that are permanent. Steam A Seam is popular....Jackie

      We want your tips....

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below, and it will find a place in our newsletter! terrye@...?subject=sharewithus

      Funny Stories From Our Readers....

      Mine is a cutting fiasco. I was using my Shape Cutter to cut one inch strips and then found out I had cut slits into the webbed nylon handle of one of my favorite tote bags. There were about four slits, just one inch apart. Not all the way through the handle, just far enough that I could make a fan out of the handle.

      Thank goodness for the darning stitch on my sewing machine....Tommie

      When I was just starting as a quilter I took a Hundterwasser class with my girlfriend. We used the Hundterwasser fabric, and moved from station to station to sew or embroider with different threads. There were so many colors in the fabric that I gravitated toward colors that I liked. I didn't finish the project and it languished for about three years.

      Then I decided to finish up some UFOs as a challenge to myself. I pulled out the Hundterwasser and started stitching on it and got it to a place that I liked and put on the binding and then looked at it. It was so obvious to anyone who looked at the little quilt which sewing had been done three years before and which stitching had been done now. The new stitching colors were colors that were right for the project, the old colors were colors that I liked, but weren't quite right for the project.

      The fabric starts at $25 per yard and I'd like to rip out all the old stitching, but there's a lot of it. I'm not sure what to do with it other than use it as a lesson in color for students. An expensive lesson, though. At least I know how far my color sense has matured....Tommie

      Send us your funny stories! terrye@...?subject=funny stories

      Ask Kaye....

      Joan asks: I know that I have seen that there is a formula when putting front, back and filler together for placemats and runners. What is next to the batting, front or back. Later,I do trim the batting right back to the seam allowance? Not sure if it is really important but I think I heard it gives a smoother edge if done properly.

      Kaye answers: The edges would be smoothest if the batting is next to the front; after sewing, trim the batting close to the stitching. Don't trim the seam allowance of the front; it will help to smooth out the edges.

      Do you have a question for our resident expert? Ask away and we'll feature it in upcoming newsletters! Also, Kaye will personally answer your questions.

      Send to: terrye@...?subject=ask_kaye

      Words of Wisdom
      A word to the wise is unnecessary.
      Anything that is designed to do more than one thing, can't do any of them well (smart phones?).
      Let everyone sweep in front of his own door and the whole world will be clean.
      If you look like your passport picture, you probably need the trip.
      Everyone is the age of their heart.
      A war never decides who is right, just who is left.
      If you want a rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.
      Reach for the moon! Even if you miss you'll land among the stars.
      Bills travel through the mail twice the speed of checks.
      Nobody know the age of the human race, but everybody agrees that it is old enough to know better!

      That's all for this week

      Have a great week from