Quilting The Kaye Wood Way, Week of 9.16.10

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 2010

      • New Sale
      • Michigan Quilters
      • KayeWoodTV.com - Pointed Fans
      • Show and Tell
      • Tips
      • Funny Stories
      • Ask Kaye
      Quilting the Kaye Wood Way

      Today, "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird is practicing to be a Flying Goose....Follow us!

      48661

      Mums, the Ultimate Fall Flower! Tough and hardy, even up here, and they come in sooo many awesome colors. This week, Kaye's Chrysanthemums pattern is FREE with purchase of the Starmaker 5! Scroll down for the deets....

      FREE Chrysanthemums pattern with purchase of the Starmaker 5 Master Template!

      Click HERE to get this awesome pattern....

      Sew Along With Kaye as she demonstrates the techniques in the Chrysanthemum Quilt Pattern, then check above for how to get this pattern free!

      Just click here

      (high speed connection recommended)

      Our Readers Show and Tell....
      My almost 12 yr old granddaughter, Lanie, made this flannel wall hanging using Kaye Wood's Octagon shapes. This will be a special gift for her adult Reading partner from grades 1-5, who is now recovering from cancer and chemo therapy. Great job....Grace

      Tips From Our Readers....

      I read about the tip with cat blankets. Here in Cincinnati we dress about 800 dolls for Christmas every year for Salvation Army. All the outfits are made by ladies in the area. A couple of years ago I decided it would be nice if we could wrap each doll in a quilt. The response was great. We have no requirements as to size so each doll now gets two extra outfits and a quilt with her doll. The ladies use up their scraps and odd fabrics from their stashes. We promote that it is a great way to try a new pattern and see if you like it without making a full size quilt. They do a lot of strip quilting too. It is amazing what we get. Even scrapes can be beautiful. Some women make beautiful quilts and don't use scrapes. I have no rules. Some have batting and some don't. I have one lady who makes 50 quilts a year-all from her scraps! She swears her stash is not going down as fast as she thought. Since the group I belong to is only responsible for dolls and books, another group who is responsible for baby gifts asked if they could give some of the quilts to give to real babies. They just couldn't believe what we were getting from our sewers. I didn't think the sewers would mind so the bigger ones went to real babies. We found out after Christmas that some of the girls who got them for their dolls used the quilts for themselves! Talk about passing on and sharing a love for quilting....Phyllis

      Reader's Funny Stories....

      My biggest quilting fiasco was when I hadn't learned to quilt and made a present for my aunt (the person who most inspired my creativity). So I put together a table topper that was very pathetic, but at the time I thought, Hey! Not bad for a beginner quilter. I know that it was a mess and since then I have made her beautiful works and I am sure she chuckles to herself when she sees the first disaster I made....Michele

      Ask Kaye....

      Linda asks: Hi. I am having a terrible time with this quilt top I just made. As you can see from the enclosed photos, there are ripples on the edges of the quilt top. I have measured the top across the middle both ways and both measurements are the same. I also measured it across the diagonal both ways and both these measurements are the same. It appears to be square but when I try and lay it flat or put it in the quilt sandwich to pin it together for quilting nothing lays flat and seems to be out of square. I have never run up against a problem like this before and can't seem to figure out what to do with this top short of burning it! All of a sudden I can understand people giving up quilting. Can you tell me what the problem is or what I might be able to do with it?

      Kaye answers: It appears you have some bias edges in the quilt. When you sew bias edges to straight edges, the straight edge has to be on the top to control the stretch in the bias. Borders must be cut to the exact length needed; then pinned at the ends and a couple times in the middle, then sewn with straight border on top. This is the only thing I can think of that would give you ripples like you have. I hope this helps.

      That's all for this week

      Have a great week from