Kaye's Quilting Newsletter, Week of July 28, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2010

      • New Sale
      • New In Our Store
      • Kaye's Schedule
      • Got Hexagons?
      • KayeWoodTV.com
      • Another Quilting Cruise
      • Free Pattern!
      • Our Readers Show and Tell
      • Tips From Our Readers
      • Events
      • Funny Stories From Our Readers
      • Ask Kaye - NEW!!
      Quilting the Kaye Wood Way

      Today, "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird has been picking raspberries....Follow us!

      48661

      Hey, we have a few free copies of Kaye's newest pattern "Floral Squares" available to quilt bloggers. If you're a blogger, shoot us an email, and tell us the URL of your blog. We'll check it out and get back to you.

      On Sale....

      Back to our old price on the View & Do Circles Shapes! This week, they're only $17.00. And, all of our patterns and ebook that accompany the Circles Shapes are $2.00 off!

      What's On Sale?

      New In Our Store....

      Now these are the cutest things I've seen in just about forever!

      Dress them up or dress them down. Shaggy Mosaic Jeans attract attention no matter how you wear them! This pattern booklet gives you 9 pages of step-by-step instructions with 42 full color photos, all the extra tips and design ideas we could think of plus all the secrets to creating this signature look! Here

      Follow The Squares is the first in Kaye's new Quarter Quilt Series.
      • Quarter the Size,
      • Quarter The Time and
      • Quarter the Money.

      Drape them across the end of your bed for an instant room pick-me-up!

      No special rulers or tools required for this pattern Here

      Floral Stars is new also. This is from Kaye's Prairie Point Series. Use the Starmaker 6 and View & Do Hexagon Shape to create fussy cut stars with prairie points! Perfect for the pointless people! Here

      Click Here for a Quilting The Kaye Wood Way Technique DVD of this project!

      Kaye's Schedule....

      Got Hexagons?

      Check out this awesome YouTube Video. Carolyn Griffin shows how to make Origami Hexagons using Kaye's View & Do Hexagon Shape!

      It's all about the circles! And Mariner's Compass certainly fits. Watch our free online video on this fascinating technique!

      Mariner's Compass....

      Get your own Mariner's Compass pattern

      Here!

      And your own DVD HERE

      Round Bobbin Announces Next "Sew Fun Cruise"

      Eastern Caribbean Sewing & Quilting Cruise Sailing June 5, 2011, on Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas

      Join us on the Round Bobbin Sew Fun Cruise as we sail on the Freedom of the Seas. We sew while we are cruising at sea, giving everyone ample time to enjoy the sights of each port of call while docked. We have sewing and quilting classes appropriate for all skill levels.

      We make it easy for you. Janome is sponsoring the cruise and is providing the machines for use on the ship. We provide all the equipment necessary to sew while on the cruise. All you need to do is bring yourself and be ready to have fun!
      Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas is one of the newest ships in their fleet. In addition to the world class food, you'll enjoy fun and exciting Las Vegas style shows, games, themed bars and lounges, full size flat screen TV's in every room, the Royal Promenade and so much more. Those who like a little adventure can enjoy the rock climbing wall, the FlowRider, and the 9-hole miniature golf course.
      You must book your cruise through Bonnie at CruiseOne at 800-784-4480. Bonnie can arrange a payment plan to meet your needs. We have a limit of 100 people so book today! More information will be posted at www.roundbobbin.com or call 800-473-9464.
      As an added bonus, everyone who registers for classes will receive a Janome sewing machine. These machines will not be used on the cruise, but will be shipped to your home after the cruise.

      New Free Pattern - Chevrons Tablerunner.

      Check out this new freebie, as well as all the other tips, techniques and free patterns we offer!

      Take a look at the table runner design. Because of the X cut, accurately cut with the Starmaker 8, all the seams match perfectly  even with all the angles used. And there is very little wasted fabric.
      This a fairly easy project because of the accuracy built in to the cutting and piecing techniques.
      Try it with two different color families (e.g.green/red) with different shades; or try sewing the strips from dark to light in one or two color families. This will give you a completely different look.

      Make it reversible with a different color on each side. Have fun and make lots of table runners for those special occasions.

      Click here to download the pattern

      Readers Show And Tell....
      I am a fairly new quilter and this is the first finished quilt that I have made. I began it a quilt camp in February 2009 for my husband [So he would like me going again this year] and finished it on Christmas morning. I used the pattern Diamonds of Yellowstone and View and Do Diamond Shape.....Diane

      Tips From Our Readers....
      I volunteer at our animal shelter. I also love to play with fabric. With the scraps and left over quilt blocks from my various projects, I make Kitty Quilts. One side has the quilt, the other side is a soft fabric like flannel or fleece. (Some Kitties like soft things, others like slick). It makes the kennels look a bit brighter and I am told that often the quilt goes home with the kitten when they adopt a person. It is so much fun and the rewards are not measurable. Now I get to buy more fabric and start more projects..
      ....Claudia

      We want your tips....

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below, and it will find a place in our newsletter! terrye@...?subject=sharewithus

      Quilting Events in August....

      Has your guild or quilting group scheduled a show? Let us know the where's, when's and how's and we'll put you on our Quilting Events Page.
      Email us and Let us know what's going on in New Hampshire and New Mexico!

      It started with my very first quilt 12 years ago. Have been dressmaking all my life and wanted to make a quilt for my bed. Saw a pattern called A Thousand Pyramids, liked it and thought that's easy, only have to join triangles! Did I have a rotary cutter? No. Did I have a cutting board? No. Had I heard about 1/4in seams? Yes, but thought as long as they are all the same why does it matter(!) Promptly cut my template out, used it to rule triangles on my materials that I had chosen (were they all cotton? No.) Did I read all instructions? No. I can sew I said to myself (lol).

      So went ahead and cut the triangles (with scissors) and proceeded to sew them together doing a couple of reverse stitches at each end of seams (duh). Then pressed the seams open looked at my strips and thought they look good and then went and sewed the strips together I did match all the seams, easing in as I went (like you do when dressmaking) (lol).

      Pressed the top and thought that's funny, it's a bit wobbly looking......put it down on my floor and boy it was more than wobbly. I live by the sea and it looked like the surf had come in it was soooooooo not straight and flat. Not to worry I thought, just unpick a couple of triangles and re-sew. Guess what it didn't work! I then had to ask someone I knew who quilted what I had done wrong. When she saw it she went white, sat me down and explained what I should have done in the first place. We then over time unpicked the lot and I borrowed her cutter, remade the original template a tad smaller and then cut each and every triangle again with the cutter. Sewed with 1/4in seams, didn't back-stitch at the ends, pressed, not ironed. I eventually finished this quilt and I still have it and love it as much as the day it was completed.

      AND I have never given up making quilts!...Joy

      You can't be the only one who's done this! Come on, fess up, tell us about your funny sewing stories!

      Ask Kaye....

      This is a new feature we're implementing, just to try it out. Every week we'll take a question from our readers and Kaye will answer it.

      Elizabeth asks: Is it me? I recently watched this segment on line and decided I could use this method to finish an Attic Windows quilt that I started X years ago at a class, and for which I'd lost the instructions. I still can't see why it didn't work as easily as Kaye made it look in the program. If it is not me, is there a FOOLPROOF method I could use?
      .

      Kaye answers: My technique for perfect Y-seams is on a free tip sheet on my website.

      a video is shown on www.kayewoodTV.com, Kayes Quick Tips, Perfect Y-Seams.

      The attic window block is not a Y-seam. A Y seam is made up of 60 degree diamonds. The attic window is a 45 degree. Follow the directions for a mitered border.
      The first border: sew all the way to the end.
      The second border: sew from the seam to the end.
      Fold the block diagonally, right sides together, and line the border strips up.
      Mark the border strips diagonally (lined up with the fold of the block). This will be the seamline.
      Sew from the seam out to the edge on this diagonal line.
      Trim the seam allowances. Press.

      Email us your questions....

      That's all for this week

      Have a great week from