Quilting The Kaye Wood Way Newsletter, Week of 7.14.10

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2010

      • New Sale
      • New In Our Store
      • Kaye's Schedule
      • KayeWoodTV.com
      • Our Readers Show and Tell
      • Another Great Site
      • Kaye on Rotary Cutting
      • New Cruise Scheduled
      • Tips From Our Readers
      • Events
      • Funny Stories From Our Readers
      • Ask Kaye - NEW!!
      Quilting the Kaye Wood Way

      Today, "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird has been picking raspberries....Follow us!

      48661

      It's been hot hot hot here in Northern Michigan. The raspberries are way early this year, the blueberries are about a week away, and then the blackberries will be ready. What does Kaye do when it's hot, besides pick berries? She sews! Lots of new patterns and new variations of some of her other patterns are in the works. Which brings me to this: If you're a blogger, shoot us an email, we have a prospect for you.

      On Sale....

      Stacking My Blocks Pattern Free With Purchase of our Sew Along With Kaye Technique DVD! That's an $8.00 Savings!

      We also have a couple of hurt patterns in our sale section that need a good home!

      What's On Sale?

      New In Our Store....

      Completely Charming From Whistlepig Creek Productions

      13 coordinating pillow and table topper projects using Charm Squares!
      Only $12.00
      Here

      Kaye's Schedule....

      Up here cardinals are a winter bird, and with the temperatures this hot, winter's not sounding too bad. This week on KayeWoodTV.com, the cardinals are flying! Use this unique Cardinal pattern to enter the world of 3-D Appli-bond. Whether you are a beginner or an expert in appliqué, this technique introduces you to the exciting three dimensional appliqué.

      Size: 24.5" x 26.5"

      View our Sew Along With Kaye Technique DVD on Cardinals here....

      Get your Cardinal Pattern here!

      Another Great Site....

      Rotary Cutting
      To a quilter, the Invention of the rotary cutter is equal in importance to the invention of fire.
      BRC (Before Rotary Cutters) meant marking the fabric and cutting with scissors. ARC (After Rotary Cutters) means no more marking fabric with cutting or sewing lines. Wow. What a Concept!
      A rotary cutting mat is absolutely necessary and it should be self healing and not grow whiskers. If your mat gets fuzzy, a dull blade is pushing the fabric threads down into the mat so it cannot "heal". A sharp blade will not do this. Mats come in lots of different sizes; you might want a large one in your sewing room and a smaller one to take to class. Keep your mats laying flat to prevent warping. If your mat does warp, it is time to buy a new one.
      Clean your blade occasionally with sewing machine oil to remove lint. Whether you are cleaning your blade or changing it, remove the pieces and line them up in the order they came off. Clean the blade and reassemble. Or replace the blade and reassemble. Change the blade often to make it easier to cut fabric and to keep your mat in good condition.
      Be careful when using your cutter and when changing the blade. Most cutters have a safety guard. Get in the habit of closing the guard every time you put the cutter down.
      Rotary blades are meant to cut in one direction (away from you). If you saw back and forth, your blade will get dull more quickly. To start cutting, place the blade against an acrylic ruler at a spot before the fabric starts. Then roll it along the ruler onto the fabric. Hold the ruler carefully so it doesn't slip. It is helpful to have a non-slip surface on the bottom of the ruler. Do NOT move the ruler until you are sure the fabric is cut all the way through; then you can make a second cut if necessary.

      Attached is the wall hanging I did from Kaye's View & Do Diamond shapes. The pattern is Diamonds of Yellowstone.

      I just loved the fabric and really didn't know what to do with it and then I remembered the diamond shapes.
      They are so easy to do and I will be making many more things out of them....Marge

      Be sure to visit our Show and Tell Page, then click on the pictures to see the larger view!

      Round Bobbin Announces Next "Sew Fun Cruise"

      Eastern Caribbean Sewing & Quilting Cruise Sailing June 5, 2011, on Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas

      Join us on the Round Bobbin Sew Fun Cruise as we sail on the Freedom of the Seas. We sew while we are cruising at sea, giving everyone ample time to enjoy the sights of each port of call while docked. We have sewing and quilting classes appropriate for all skill levels.

      We make it easy for you. Janome is sponsoring the cruise and is providing the machines for use on the ship. We provide all the equipment necessary to sew while on the cruise. All you need to do is bring yourself and be ready to have fun!
      Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas is one of the newest ships in their fleet. In addition to the world class food, you'll enjoy fun and exciting Las Vegas style shows, games, themed bars and lounges, full size flat screen TV's in every room, the Royal Promenade and so much more. Those who like a little adventure can enjoy the rock climbing wall, the FlowRider, and the 9-hole miniature golf course.
      You must book your cruise through Bonnie at CruiseOne at 800-784-4480. Bonnie can arrange a payment plan to meet your needs. We have a limit of 100 people so book today! More information will be posted at www.roundbobbin.com or call 800-473-9464.
      As an added bonus, everyone who registers for classes will receive a Janome sewing machine. These machines will not be used on the cruise, but will be shipped to your home after the cruise.

      Tips From Our Readers....
      When my threads are on the wall in a thread rack, I have stapled a piece of fabric, long and wide enough to cover the threads on the top of the rack, but also along the backside of the wood. I also put a piece of velcro, self stick on the wall and a piece of velcro at the tip or bottom of the fabric. Dust and light make the threads brittle. When done, I put the fabric shade back over the threads....Pat

      We want your tips....

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below, and it will find a place in our newsletter! terrye@...?subject=sharewithus

      Quilting Events in July and August....

      Has your guild or quilting group scheduled a show? Let us know the where's, when's and how's and we'll put you on our Quilting Events Page.
      Email us and Let us know what's going on in New Hampshire and New Mexico!

      When I started my first quilt I went into a store to purchase items I needed. I picked up a Rotary cutter and asked if I needed anything else with it. The clerk told me no and I trusted her. Well, I didn't know any better so I started cutting out squares on my new kitchen table and ruined it. Now when I see some one looking at one I tell them to make sure they have the mat to cut with the rotary cutter....Pat

      My biggest quilting fiasco as a longarm quilter was when quilting a customer quilt, I put the backing on the incorrect way and ran out of backing on the quilt. I had to add more fabric on the bottom so I put my Bernina on a wheeled cart and stitched additional fabric onto the backing while the quilt was still on the frame. Brought the iron over on the cart after piecing the backing and pressed, pinned and finished the quilt. It worked out, but now I check twice before I load the quilts on the rollers, I don't ever want to make this mistake again....Jackie

      You can't be the only one who's done this! Come on, fess up, tell us about your funny sewing stories!

      Ask Kaye....

      This is a new feature we're implementing, just to try it out. Every week we'll take a question from our readers and Kaye will answer it.

      Loretta asks: What is the best way to eliminate the bend in the material at the fold instead of getting a nice straight cut? I think I have the material ironed straight and I can still get that bow.

      Kaye answers: The fabric is heat set with the fold. The best way to work with the fabric is to cut the fabric at right angles to the fold. Completely disregard the selvedge edges.

      The strips will be straight and easy to work with.

      Email us your questions....

      That's all for this week

      Have a great and safe holiday weekend from

      Customer Service
      Download our catalog
      http://www.kayewood.com/cover.pdf