Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Week of June 29, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2010

      • On Sale!
      • New In Our Store
      • Kaye's Schedule
      • KayeWoodTV.com
      • Our Readers Show and Tell
      • Tips From Our Readers
      • Events
      • Another Great Site!
      • Funny Stories From Our Readers
      • Ask Kaye - NEW!!
      Quilting the Kaye Wood Way

      Today, "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird is voting over on RefreshEverything.com....Follow us!

      I'm really not sure how it happened to be the Fourth of July Weekend already, seems like summer just got here. Do you have plans to celebrate? We will likely have a fun Bar-B-Que, and then later, if it's warm enough, the obligatory "dip in the stream".

      Only a few days left to vote for my son's project at Pepsi Refresh.

      My son, Mike, is hoping to get a grant from Pepsi for a camp for HIV and Aids children. I told him I have this special group of friends who would be glad to help.

      So don't let me down. Just click on www.refresheverything.com. Then sign in and vote for Mike's project. There is no cost to you. And you can really help by voting every day until the end of June.
      For those of you on my Facebook, many of you have already voted. Thank you.
      On Sale....

      Regular price - $12.00
      This week $6.00

      48 pages

      Easy, accurate stars with no points to match? You bet! With Kaye Wood's tips and techniques, stars have never been easier with projects that include quilts, pot holders, Christmas tree skirts and other great items, all made from stars. Start with hexagons and choose if your want to fussy or cut them into the size you like. Uses Kaye's View & Do Hexagon and Starmaker 6 (sold separately).

      Click here to watch Kaye create her potholders and kitchen quilts on KayeWoodTV.com

      Click here to watch Kaye piece her Christmas Tree Skirt on KayeWoodTV.com now.

      New In Our Store....

      This beautiful quilted fabric sewing machine cover is an essential for protecting any sewing machine and even fits the largest of home sewing machines. The cover is left open at the bottom side seams to allow for a better fit over all sewing machine bases. Finished size is: 17"Wx11"Hx8"D....here

      Kaye's Schedule....

      This week, Kaye demonstrates how to make her "Kitchen Quilts"

      Potholders and Kitchen Quilts....

      This is my first attempt to make a lap quilt using stripes and prairie points. I have so many quilts with prairie points and fell in love with it. One day surfing different quilt sites I came across Kaye Wood's show, How To Make Prairie Points the Easy Way. Made them the Kaye Wood way, I'll will be making more quits with prairie points. Thank you Kaye so much, I have only been quilting for about an year now, no lessons or anything. I grew up as a child with quilts on my bed have love them ever since.

      Be sure to visit our Show and Tell Page, then click on these to see the larger view!

      Tips From Our Readers....
      When sandwiching a quilt and closing the safety-pins before the quilt goes to the quilt machine......close those safety pins using an old seam ripper. I had a seam ripper that was useless to rip seams with as the point was broke off. Now instead of hurting the tips of my fingers and thumb I use a broken seam ripper. I hold on to the pin with the seam ripper as I pull the pin towards me and clasp the safety pin shut with the seam ripper. NO more injuries to my fingers!!! I know that there are professional tools for this very same idea, but why pay money for something when you may have a tool at home to use instead?

      ....Darlene

      TouchingChristsChildrenMinistry@...

      We want your tips....

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below, and it will find a place in our newsletter! terrye@...?subject=sharewithus

      Quilting Events in July....

      Has your guild or quilting group scheduled a show? Let us know the where's, when's and how's and we'll put you on our Quilting Events Page.

      Another Great Site....

      Quilter's Obsession "We're Nuts About Bolts!"

      A great internet store that provides personalized customer service, exciting selection and reasonable prices.
      Funny Stories From Our Readers....

      My first fiasco was trying to stipple quilt with the wrong machine foot. All I got was bunching & pleating & a lop-sided result-disaster!! All to be taken out & a different approach to a backing which to this day I am not completely satisfied, bottom line-I have a lot to learn....Susan

      My first quilt started in the seventies. It was going to be a pram quilt then a cot quilt and as I took so long with that, it was going to be a single quilt then a double but now it's a king size and I have just finished the top. 35 years down the road I can see an end in sight. Surely I get the prize for sheer endurance....Judith

      You can't be the only one who's done this! Come on, fess up, tell us about your funny sewing stories!

      Ask Kaye....

      This is a new feature we're implementing, just to try it out. Every week we'll take a question from our readers and Kaye will answer it.

      Last week, Angela asked, "I wish someone would do a book on simple borders. I know I have seen you demonstrate cutting angled pieces for borders, but I don't recall what angle or what ruler you used. I have looked and can't find a book on borders that are simple and different. Thanks."

      Kaye continues her list of techniques this week: "Here are list of the books and patterns that include techniques for Borders:

      Mitered Borders
      • Stacking My Blocks
      • Morning Glory
      • Kaleidoscope
      • Hearts in Bloom (double border)
      • Pinwheel Hearts (triple border)
      • Drunkard's Path
      • The Other Side of the Fence (double border)
      • Pond Lilies
      • Shadow Hearts (double border)
      • Pineapple Play
      Pieced Borders
      • Trees with Ease
      • Rising From the Mist
      • Jumping Jacks
      • Dimensional Diamonds
      • Candy Corn/Watermelon
      • Four-Patch Hearts
      • Springtime Hearts
      • ABC Quilt

      Email us your questions....

      That's all for this week

      Have a great and safe holiday weekend from

      Customer Service
      Download our catalog
      http://www.kayewood.com/cover.pdf