Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Week of June 16, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2010

      • New In Our Store
      • Kaye's Schedule
      • KayeWoodTV.com
      • Our Readers Show and Tell
      • Tips From Our Readers
      • Events
      • Another Great Site!
      • Blog Giveaway!
      • Funny Stories From Our Readers
      • Ask Kaye - NEW!!
      Quilting the Kaye Wood Way

      Today, "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird is voting over on RefreshEverything.com....Follow us!

      I want you to connect with a very special person. My son, Mike, is hoping to get a grant from Pepsi for a camp for HIV and Aids children. I told him I have this special group of friends who would be glad to help.
      So don't let me down. Just click on www.refresheverything.com. Then sign in and vote for Mike's project. There is no cost to you. And you can really help by voting every day until the end of June.
      For those of you on my Facebook, many of you have already voted. Thank you.

      I will be teaching several classes and workshops at the Quilting, Stitches and Crafts Expo from June 23-26, 2010. One of my seminars consists of the funny things that have happened to me along the quilting road. I'd like everyone to be there, so here is a special deal. When you register, let them know you want a special price (like 2 tickets for the price of 1). I guarantee you will laugh a lot and we will all have a fun time.

      Also, let me know if you plan to be in Reno, stop by the booth (#516) and I'll have something for you, but you have to let me know ahead of time!

      The Blue By You Quilt and Curtain set uses 4 different size Log Cabin blocks to help you create an interesting dimensional effect with 6 different shades of the same colors. The low-sew Tab Top panel curtains use 2 12" blocks to coordinate your windows with your quilt. Add a wider final border to make the quilt larger. Size 73"x73"....here

      Size 72"x72" For advanced beginners. Costa Maya is easier than it looks! Choose a couple of large scale prints. Surround them with three blenders into a 15" courthouse step block, and you're halfway there! Cut the block into 4 pieces and add some triangles. You now have all of the blocks for the center of the quilt, and all of your border blocks, too...here

      This is a Snuggles Quilts "Fat Fun" project. Make the large topper or the small runner or both! Two fun, quick and easy projects to dress up your spring table! Add detailing using appliqué. Perfect Fat Quarter project....here

      Kaye's Schedule....

        Teacher Certification Classes....

      • Reno, NV June 23, 2010 register here, registration includes FREE admission to Kaye's evening seminar, "It's Funny To Be Famous".
      • Loveland, CO, Rocky Mountain Quilt Festival, Aug 19, 2010
        register through www.rockymountainquiltfestival.com
      • Lake Havasu, AZ, Jan 11, 2011, lindavisnaw@..., 928-453-1942

      Kaye uses her View & Do Diamonds Shape to show us how to Fussy Cut Diamonds in her Diamonds of Yellowstone Pattern.

      Fussy Cutting Diamonds with Kaye's View & Do Diamond Shape....

      Create Your Own Diamonds of Yellowstone Pattern using Kaye's Fussy Cutting Diamonds Technique

      Also see the alternate version, to the right.

      This is the quilt we made in the Las Vegas Certified Teacher Training Class. Then I came home and made one for my kitchen table (correctly)
      Love this pattern. I want to make another as a center for a queen quilt. I used Kaye's Savage Star pattern.

      Be sure to visit our Show and Tell Page, then click on these to see the larger view!

      Tips From Our Readers....

      My flat iron recently fell on the floor, imprinting it's shape on my rug. It seems that I keep getting caught in the cord while getting up and down, so I pinned an old diaper pin on the right end of the ironing board and let the cord slide through it as it's used. Keeps the cord away from clumsy me....Jeannette

      I copied this great idea from my daughter. It's wonderful for keeping your stash organized. We bought a couple sets of see-through drawers on wheels. They are approx. 7 x 14 x 15. Store all your pinks together, and all your greens together etc. Roll the stack up to your sewing table when needed, and roll it away after use. Need some red? Go to the red drawer. Need some blue? You know exactly where to find it....Joyce

      We want your tips....

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below, and it will find a place in our newsletter! terrye@...?subject=sharewithus

      Quilting Events in June....

      Has your guild or quilting group scheduled a show? Let us know the where's, when's and how's and we'll put you on our Quilting Events Page.

      Sound Out To Montana Quilters, We've got nothing listed for you!
      Email us and Let us know what's going on in Montana!

      Another Great Site....

      See what's happening at JudyMartin.com! Free BOM and QOM! Explore hundreds of inspirational Viewer Photos. Watch Judy's informational video and slide show. Be sure to sign up for Judy's newsletter. Plus Judy has more than 20 of her quilts and tops for sale. You can own a quilt made by one of the world's favorite quilt designers.

      Blog Giveaway....

      Another blog giveaway! This week we are giving away Romantic Patchwork and Quilting by Ciba Vaughan
      Ciba's Romantic Patchwork and Quilting book, from 1989 features a selection of patterns and projects, both large and small, designed to entice the novice and delight the experienced quilter as well. Most are traditional patterns interpreted in a contemporary fashion, with helpful hints to speed your progress and expand your horizons.

      Hop over to our blog to find out how to win this for yourself!

      Funny Stories From Our Readers....

      My ultimate fiasco is presently cluttering up my workspace with three or four started projects and the result is confusion. It is a overwhelming state of quiltdom....Corinne

      All I can say, is don't try to quilt and drink wine at the same time. Let's just say that the Drunkards Path couldn't even turn out right. LOL....Christina

      You can't be the only one who's done this! Come on, fess up, tell us about your funny sewing stories!

      Ask Kaye....

      This is a new feature we're implementing, just to try it out. Every week we'll take a question from our readers and Kaye will answer it.

      This week, Angela asks, "I wish someone would do a book on simple borders  I know I have seen you demonstrate cutting angled pieces for borders, but I don't recall what angle or what ruler you used. I have looked and can't find a book on borders that are simple and different. Thanks."

      Kaye says: "Here are list of the books and patterns that include techniques for Square Borders:

      Email us your questions....

      That's all for this week

      Have a great week everyone from

      Customer Service