Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Week of 6.9.10

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2010

      • On Sale, Clearance, Damaged,Deal of the Day
      • Kaye's Schedule
      • KayeWoodTV.com
      • Our Readers Show and Tell
      • Tips From Our Readers
      • Events
      • Blog Giveaway!
      • Funny Stories From Our Readers
      • Ask Kaye - NEW!!
      Quilting the Kaye Wood Way

      Today, "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird is voting over on RefreshEverything.com....Follow us!

      I want you to connect with a very special person. My son, Mike, is hoping to get a grant from Pepsi for a camp for HIV and Aids children. I told him I have this special group of friends who would be glad to help.
      So don't let me down. Just click on www.refresheverything.com. Then sign in and vote for Mike's project. There is no cost to you. And you can really help by voting every day until the end of June.
      For those of you on my Facebook, many of you have already voted. Thank you.

      I will be teaching several classes and workshops at the Quilting, Stitches and Crafts Expo from June 23-26, 2010. One of my seminars consists of the funny things that have happened to me along the quilting road. I'd like everyone to be there, so here is a special deal. When you register, let them know you want a special price (like 2 tickets for the price of 1). I guarantee you will laugh a lot and we will all have a fun time.

      Also, let me know if you plan to be in Reno, stop by the booth (#516) and I'll have something for you, but you have to let me know ahead of time!

      On Sale This Week....

      Free, Fanfare Log Cabin Pattern with purchase of the Lazy Angle Tool!

      Do you appreciate the traditional quilt patterns but love an updated twist? Joan Hawley of Lazy Girl Designs, created this pattern with you in mind, using the Lazy Angle block to create a striking variation to this log cabin design. Uses the Lazy Angle Ruler (included).

      Size: 59" x 59"

      Get Your Free Pattern Here!

      Also....

      Also, don't forget our clearance and hurt items, many need a good home. Check them out!

      Kaye's Schedule....

      Joan shows us how to put a new spin on an old favorite. See how she uses her Lazy Angle Tool to create a beautiful, yet different type of Log Cabin Quilt Pattern. And, this week, the pattern is free with purchase of the tool!

      Fanfare Log Cabin Quilt From Joan Hawley of Lazy Girl Designs....

      Create Your Own Fanfare Log Cabin Quilt

      Click on the link above to get this pattern free!

      Just some of my winter quilting.

      A block of the month quilt for my daughter.

      A lap quilt...Janet

      Be sure to visit our Show and Tell Page, then click on these to see the larger view!

      Tips From Our Readers....

      Use a binocular the opposite way to make things look small, and you can check your quilt once you have it layed out before sewing to check for placement and colors! Works great! ....Pat

      I needed a flannel board but do not have the room to use a wall. I bought one of those folding cardboard cutting mats, covered it with flannel (taping it to the back of the mat with Duck Tape). It's perfect to set up either by propping it against a wall, door, etc. Then it can be folded and put away until it's needed for the next project....Lynne

      We want your tips....

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below, and it will find a place in our newsletter! terrye@...?subject=sharewithus

      Quilting Events in June....

      Has your guild or quilting group scheduled a show? Let us know the where's, when's and how's and we'll put you on our Quilting Events Page.

      This is only a partial list, go to our Quilting Events Page, find your state or country and check to see what's going on.

      • New Quilts from an Old Favorite: Sunflower, Paducah, KY, March 19-June 15, 2010, http://www.nationalquiltmuseum.org
      • A Stitch in Time: Quilts from the Collection, June 1-Aug 29, 2010, Greenwich Historical Society's Storehouse Museum Gallery, Greenwich, CT
      • Pinetree Patchworkers Quilt Show, June 11-12, 2010, Brainerd, Minnesota, Lots of quilts, vendors, Bet Turning Event, Entertainment, and more, Contact (218) 851-7139 for more information
      • Quilt artisans featured in June Cultural Arts exhibit, June 3-30, 2010, Vandalia Cultural Arts Committee, Vandalia, OH, Culturalarts@...
      • 19th annual Antique Tractor and Engine Show, Antique Farm Power Club, will be at the Muskegon County Fairgrounds June 10-12, 2010, Muskegon, MI, New this year will be a Ford Model A swap meet. Demonstrations will include threshing, baling, quilting, butter churning, wood carving and more. There also will be a flea market, games for kids and valve-cover races, The fairgrounds are located at 6621 Heights-Ravenna. Call 231-924-4223 or 616-887-7462 for information.
      • Quilt for a Cure Auction at 300-piece North Country Quilt Guild Show, Clayton, NY, June 11-13, http://www.facebook.com/pages/North-Country-Quilting-Guild/145463590571, or 315-649-5990
      • Clinton County Barn Quilt trail, June 12-13, Painted wood barn quilts have been placed on 54 barns throughout Clinton County, OH in conjunction with the upcoming 2010 county bicentennial celebration., For information concerning the barn quilt project contact Diane Murphy at (937) 382-0316 or The Cotton Junky Quilt Shop at (937) 366-6302.
      • Unique Show of Quilts, West Escambia Chapter of the American Red Cross, June 12, 2010, West Escambia, AL
      • Midwest Heritage Quilt Show, The Vermilion County Museum, Danville, IL, will accept quilted items for the 28th annual show from June 12-24. For more information, contact Museum personnel at 442-2922 or visit the Web site at http://www.vermilioncountymuseum.org.
      • Quilts by the Bay, The Monterey Peninsula Quilters Guild, June 12-13, 2010. Seaside, CA, The event also will have vendors, a boutique, food from Erik's Deli for sale, a raffle quilt and silent auction. Featured artist is Gudny Campbell, www.mpqg.org
      • 41st Annual NQA Quilt Show, June 17-19, 2010, Columbus, OH, 614 488-8520, www.nqaquits.org
      • Heritage Days Annual Quilt Show, June 19-20, 2010, Huntington, IN, 260-758-2530, www.piecemakersqg.com
      • SoCal Quilts of Valor's Sew Day, Sat June 19, 2010 from 9-4 at the Lakewood American Legion Post 496, 5938 Parkcrest (off Woodruff, s/Carson behind Heartwell Park), Long Beach, CA, bring your machines and sewing supplies along with any cotton fabric (any color and pattern except juvenile) along with any orphan blocks or unfinished quilts you would like to donate for quilts to be presented to our returning wounded military. Remember 10% are female, so we can use anything. Blocks can be any pattern, any color, any size. We will have some blocks ready to assemble into tops, as well as fabric cut to make new designs. We will also be preparing the backs, cutting, sewing and pressing binding and making pillowcases (presentation cases). www.qovf.org or www.socalqov.org. For more info or to rsvp, call Barbara Winkler 562.925.7673 or email socalQoV@.... If you want to mail your fabric send it to 2005 Palo Verde Ave #257 Long Beach, CA 90815-3322
      • Quilting on the Kenai, Robin Place Fabrics Show, Soldotna, AK, June 24-26, 2010, robinplacefabrics.com, robinplacefabrics@...
      • The Original Creative Festival, June 24-26, 2010, Sharonville, OH, 800-473-9464, www.creativefestival.net
      • Love To Quilt, June 26-27, 2010, Boise, ID, 208-345-1901, www.boisebasinquilters.org
      • Berrien Towne and Country Quilt Show, June 26-27, 2010, Benton Harbor, MI, www.btcquiltguild.org
      • Ottawa Sunflower Piecemakers Quilt show, June 26-27, 2010, Ottawa, KS, contact: pgsteacher@... or chriscorner@...
      • Spectrum Generations Muskie Community Center will hold its first annual Quilt Show fundraiser from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. June 30 at the Muskie Community Center, 38 Gold St, Waterville, ME, muskiecenter@Spectrum Generations.org, For more information, call 873-4745 or 800-639-1553, or visit www.Spectrum Generations.org

      Sound Out To Hawaii Quilters, We've got nothing listed for you state!
      Email us and Let us know what's going on in Hawaii!

      Blog Giveaway....

      Another blog giveaway! This week we are giving away Patchwork and Quilting Book #1 by Kaffe Fassett
      Chic designs for quilts, bags, pillows, and table linens fill the pages of this sophisticated collection of patterns by one of quilting's hottest designers.

      Hop over to our blog to find out how to win this for yourself!

      Funny Stories From Our Readers....

      My funny story is that I quilted my nightgown (that I was wearing) into my quilt. It was only a small section, but nevertheless interesting. I guess I really get "into" my work....Pat

      We make comfort quilts one morning a month at our church for people who are ill or have another life trauma. One day a member wanted me to know (with a sparkle in his eye) about the comfort quilt he had received almost two years before when he had heart surgery. His sister had recently stayed with them. During a cold Michigan evening, the quilt was offered to her while she watched TV. As she pulled it over herself, she noticed a stick pin had been left between the layers. Tom never noticed the extra treasure during the months following his hospitalization. While I was sorry to hear of this blunder, I did have a quick rejoinder, "Well, Tom that proves that you didn't get a comfort quilt. That one was our DIScomfort quilt model."....Judy

      You can't be the only one who's done this! Come on, fess up, tell us about your funny sewing stories!

      Ask Kaye....

      This is a new feature we're implementing, just to try it out. Every week we'll take a question from our readers and Kaye will answer it.

      This week, Sunny asks, "Kaye, have you ever used "Spray Basting"? I am planning to attend a Holice Turnbow Demo/Class tomorrow in Charlton, MA., at the Charlton Sewing Center where he will demonstrate Spray Basting. I'm wondering, "Will it really help? Will I be able to stop basting or pinning and start spraying?" What are your thoughts?"

      Kaye says: "I use spray basting for all of my smaller projects. I have never used it for a bed size quilt, which I send out to be machine quilted.

      It eliminates the pinning, which I like. I am sure that Holice has all of the "bugs" worked out and can give you his expertise for this process. He is a good teacher and is always willing to share his techniques. Tell Holice I said "Hi".

      Email us your questions....

      That's all for this week

      Have a great week everyone from

      Customer Service