Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Week of 5.4.10

    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2010

      • On Sale, Clearance, Damaged,Deal of the Day
      • New On Our Site
      • Kaye's Schedule
      • KayeWoodTV.com
      • Blog Giveaway!
      • Our Readers Show and Tell
      • Tips From Our Readers
      • Events
      • Funny Stories From Our Readers
      • The Stages of Motherhood
      Quilting the Kaye Wood Way

      Today, "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird is pretty in pink...Follow us!

      In June I will be in Reno for the Quilting, Stitches & Craft Expo from June 24-26 at the Grand Sierra Resort. Check out their website http://qscexpos.com/index.html.
      If you are in the area, stop in to see us and all of the vendors and teachers. A 3-day show like this one is the perfect place to learn new techniques and to try out new machines. Quite often merchandise is discounted so you can get some good deals. There will be booths, classes and seminars that appeal to sewing, quilting, appliqué, etc.
      Look for us in
      booth #516

      On Sale This Week....

      What mother wouldn't love a new purse or tote bag?
      This week, buy any of our Purse Patterns along with the Bag-E-Bottoms Clear Acrylic Base to enable them to stand alone and the shipping is free (USA only, discounts will be given to international orders).

      http://www.kayewood.com/sale

      Also, many new clearance and hurt items have been listed. Check them out!

      City Bag

      Miranda Bag

      Towne Bag

      Whimsey Bag

      Veronica Bag

      Gracie Tote

      Chelsea Tote

      Newport Bag

      New On The Site

      Brand New!! Margo Bag Pattern from Joan Hawley of Lazy Girl Designs

      Margo's secure zip-top closure safely nestles 1 inch from the top edge of the bag. Achieve this crisp, professional finish with our innovative Dip-Down Zip-Top technique using any polyester all-purpose zipper. Features: secure zippered closure, shoulder length fabric handles, 2 handy outside plus 6 inside pockets to keep you organized. Instructions included to make Margo without a zipper. Finished size: approx. 10 1/4" x 9 1/4" x 4"

      Kaye's Schedule....

      Teacher Certification Classes....

      The Gracie Bag, from Lazy Girl Designs is one of the Purse/Bag-E-Bottoms combos we have on sale this week. Click on the picture, or the link below to watch the construction of this bag.

      Watch the video....

      Giveaway on our Blog....

      Hurry over to our blog where we're giving away this book, Log Cabins for Everyone.

      Discover the versatility of Log Cabin Quilting! Included in this exciting volume are patterns for easy quilts along with fun-to-stitch but challenging variations for the more experienced quilter. From miniature wall quilts to larger projects for the home and gift-giving, this comprehensive book has log cabin patterns for everyone who loves this classic American design.

      Leave me a comment telling me about your experiences with Log Cabin Quilting! We'll draw Friday, May 7 for this free book.

      I made this in Kaye's Spinning Diamonds Teacher Certification class....Diana

      I made this jacket from the project you featured last summer from Nannette called Fractured Bargello. I made it for my mother-in-law and included fabric from which I made my wedding dress. It was a fun project, and I have two more lined up to do next. It's a great way to use up 1/2 yd impulse buys!....Louise

      Be sure to visit our Show and Tell Page, then click on these quilts to see the larger view!

      Tips From Our Readers....

      I have a tip for anyone who needs a template and wants to use clear plastic. I came across this idea when I was looking for a piece of plastic I wanted to cut out as a template for making baby bibs. I make several for craft fairs and embroider on them, so I like the clear plastic so I can make sure the design is centered when I am about to cut out the pattern after I embroidered the design on the cloth. Since the size of the bib I make is larger than the normal 8.5" x 11" that you can find in the fabric stores, I decided to look for those clear, flexible cutting mats you can buy in most discount stores. It's perfect and does the trick - and is less expensive than what the fabric stores sell their templates for....Rita

      We want your tips....

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below, and it will find a place in our newsletter! terrye@...?subject=sharewithus

      Last Call for Quilts!

      June 1, 2010 is the submission deadline for "Alzheimer's Illustrated: From Heartbreak to Hope" a traveling quilt exhibit sponsored by the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative. Maximum size for quilts is only 9 inches by 12 inches and they must have an Alzheimer's theme.

      Details are here: http://www.alzquilts.org/alil.html

      (Don't forget to include additional days for shipping and registration of your quilt.)

      Quilting Events in May...

      Has your guild or quilting group scheduled a show? Let us know the where's, when's and how's and we'll put you on our Quilting Events Page.

      • The Chatham Kent Quilters Guild will be holding their Quilt Show on May 7&8 2010 at St. Paul's Congregational Church on Park Ave Chatham Ont. For further information contact jlcatton@...
      • Annual Tulip Time Festival Quilt Show, Pella IA, Sponsored by the Pella Area Quilt Guild, May 5-8, 2010, 641-628-3944
      • Adams County Historical Society Quilt Luncheon and Program, Gettysburg, PA, May 8, 2010 at the Lutheran Theological Seminary Refectory, Seminary Avenue. For information, call 334-4723, Ext. 201, or visit http://www.achs-pa.org
      • Quilt Craft and Sewing Expo, Delmar, CA May 20-22, http://www.quiltcraftsew.com/festival-dates.html
      • Lansing Area Patchers-For the Love of Quilting Quilt Show, May 22-23, 2010, The Summit, 9410 Davis Highway, Dimondale, MI, Vendors, 200+quilts, Live Demos, Door Prizes, Silent Auction, Traveling Show, Food Available, Questions? Contact mlitz211@... or threemcginns@...
      • New Quilts from an Old Favorite: Sunflower, Paducah, KY, March 19-June 15, 2010, http://www.nationalquiltmuseum.org
      • Imagine Hope, Paducah, KY, April 9-May 25, 2010, http://www.nationalquiltmuseum.org

      Don't be left out? Be sure to send us the info and we'll get you included!

      Attention Arkansas, New Mexico, New Jersey and North Carolina... We don't have anything listed for your state. Let us know what's going on!

      I've sewn for a few years and everyone has done this once in awhile I know. Well I am making a quilt with alot of smaller pieces and I decided to chain sew the many small pieces. I am doing so well and sewing right along and I am so proud of myself for I am getting quite a bit done. I am almost done with the trillion pieces and low and behold, my bubble has burst! I look behind my sewing machine at my pile of fabrics and it is a big pile of nothing sewn together. I ran out of bobbin thread on the second section I sewed. I was so mad I left it right there and did not come back to it till a week later. So much for getting the quilt finished in a timely manner. A lesson learned!....Irene

      You can't be the only one who's done this! Come on, fess up, tell us about your funny sewing stories!

      The Stages of Motherhood...

      4 Years Of Age - My Mommy can do anything;
      8 Years Of Age - My Mom knows a lot! A whole lot
      12 Years Of Age - My Mother doesn't really know quite everything.
      14 Years Of Age - Naturally, Mother doesn't know that, either
      16 Years Of Age - Mother? She's hopelessly old-fashioned
      18 Years Of Age - That old woman? She's way out of date
      25 Years Of Age - Well, she might know a little bit about it
      35 Years Of Age - Before we decide, let's get Mom's opinion
      45 Years Of Age -Wonder what Mom would have thought about it
      65 Years Of Age -Wish, I could talk it over with Mom

      That's all for this week

      Have a great week everyone from

      Customer Service
      Download our catalog