Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, March 24, 2010
This issue celebrates the return of the sun to our sky, and the flowers that peek out of the warmed soil to welcome us each day.
Kaye's in Las Vegas this week, so the girls and I, here at Kaye's Quilting Friends get to run the show for a bit.
On Sale This Week....
Blazing Stars are blazing fast with Kaye Wood's fast and accurate techniques. A great fat quarter quilt, make your stars all the same or mix it up with your own color variations, for one fabulous looking quilt. Uses the StarmakerÂ® 8 (sold separately).
Sizes: Crib, Twin, Double, King
Pick out your most interesting fabric to showcase in this wallhanging pattern. Fussy cut those prints into 4, 6 or 8 inch diamonds and join together for this interesting design. Border strips frame the blocks to add depth. Try some vivid wildlife fabric and make a beautiful quilt for the men in your life, or maybe flowers or dancers for a lovely little girl, the possibilities are endless Uses the View & Doâ¢ Diamond Shape (sold separately),
Size: 38" x 42"
New On The Site, Apple Leaf Table Runner and Topper
Apple Leaf Runner/Topper Pattern- Ideal for Beginning Paper Piecers. Pieced leaves swirl down the center of the runners (in 2 sizes), or form a circle in the center of the table topper. Just the right accent to add a bit of nature to you home's decor. Change up the colors of the leaves to reflect your seasons. Runner sizes 16"x 31" and 16"x 45", while the hexagonal table topper is 19" across. Includes instructions, color diagrams, and full-size paper piecing patterns.
- Minneapolis, MN, (schoolhouse), May 20, register here
- Reno, NV (short seminar) June 24-26 register here
- Loveland, CO, Aug 20-22, register here
- Madison, WI, (short seminar), Sept 9-11, register here
- Chautauqua, NY, (day long seminar) Sept 24-26, 2010, register here
You've seen this one before, but it's a great technique. Need a quick tote bag for spring? Check out Joan Hawley of Lazy Girl Designs as she shows how to make this Summer Tote!
FYI: Programs are best viewed with a high speed connection.And after you've viewed this video and just can't wait to create your own Summer Tote Bag, go here to get this pattern!Show and Tell....
Send me your Show and Tell pictures and stories (50 words or less, please)This was my first attempt at a bargello quilt. I was very pleased with the results....Judy
I had to send a pic of the Christmas Place mats I made I had collected so many Christmas fat quarters that didn"tt really go with anything else I found a pattern online that only required a small amount of another fabric for the 4 small stars in the corners I made 20 place mats that went out as gifts for Christmas, hereâs just a sample....CyndiTips From Our Readers....
My Serger walked when I was using it. I put a strip of the waffle liner (that is used in cupboards) under it and it stays in place....Eleanor
I have discovered a product called (I think) plasticote that I use for organizing my fabrics. It is available through sign-making shops. It looks like white corrugated cardboard only made of plastic. It is safe for fabrics and works great. You can buy it by the sheet and make as many as you like, any size you like. I like to use the size of a bolt of fabric for those pieces of fabric I have on hand in the 4-6 yards range for backing. I use smaller sizes for my other fabric. They work great and your fabric looks very organized and ready for sewing....BJ
We want your tips....
Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below, and it will find a place in our newsletter! terrye@...?subject=sharewithusQuilting Events in March and April...
Has your guild or quilting group scheduled a show? Let us know the where's, when's and how's and we'll put you on our Quilting Events Page.
- Quilt Craft and Sewing Expo, Sacramento, CA Mar 25-27, http://www.quiltcraftsew.com/festival-dates.html
- Maple Leaf Quilters 25th Festival of Quilts, Rutland, VT, March 27-28, 2010, College of St. Joseph, www.mapleleafquilters.org, mlq20010show@...
- Sewing and Quilting Expo, Springfield, MO, April 8-10, 2010, http://www.roundbobbin.com/, Need a discount coupon to get in? Call Beth at (755) 830-6566.
- Calico Cutups Quilt Guild, Bella Vista AR, April 9 and 10 , 2010, www.calicocutups.org, a-quilter@...
- Franklin County Quilters Guild 12th Annual Franklin County Quilt Show, April 10 â 11, 2010, St. Albans, VT, www.vtmooses.us/fcqgshow.pdf, franklincountyquilters@...
- Quilt Rush, Sacramento, CA, April 14-18, 2010, (530) 272-5308, www.quiltrush.com
- The Umpqua Valley Quilters Guild, Roseburg, OR, April 16, 17, & 18, 2010, hnjarvis@..., www.umpquavalleyquilters.com
- Quilts That Warm Our Hearts, Grand Island, NY, April 30-May 1, 2010, loony2nys@...
- Imagine Hope, Paducah, KY, April 9-May 25, 2010, http://www.nationalquiltmuseum.org
- Pioneer Quilters Guild, Hominy OK, April 30 & May 1, 2010, towens71@..., 918-619-7080
Funny Stories From Our Readers....
We all know how big a king size quilt can be. I was making one for my daughter and was on the last row. I had set and pinned all the little seams together so that they all matched up perfect. My sewing buddy and helper B.B. a big black cat was at the machine and I didn't pay any attention to what he had been doing. So I made sure the thread was under the presser foot and off we went I pulled all the pins as I came to them when the row was all done and I took it out from under the machine it fell apart. He had un threaded the machine and got the thread back under the foot. So I had to start all over. He is still my sewing buddy but I always check on what he may have done....Marty
Whether funny, touching, or mysterious you all have your stories, and we want to hear them. Come on, fess up.... you can't possibly think that you're the only one whose done........
Send them to us, here and we'll include them in our newsletters.
April IsNational Humor Month Autism Awareness Month International Guitar Month Keep America Beautiful Month National Child Abuse Prevention MonthMathematics Education Month Stress Awareness Month National Garden MonthNational Poetry Month National Frog MonthList your event
If you have an upcoming event or show you'd like to post on our events page, just click the link!
That's all for this week....
Have a great week everyone from
The staff at Kaye Wood, Inc!