Kaye Wood's Email Newsletter 2.17.10

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 17, 2010

      In This Issue....

      On Sale, Clearance, Damaged,Deal of the Day, and New Items

      Kaye's Schedule

      In The Forums

      KayeWoodTV.com

      Our Readers Show and Tell

      Tips From Our Readers

      Quilting Events in February and March

      Funny Stories From Our Readers

      Life Before Technology

      Quilting the Kaye Wood Way

      Today, "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird takes to the skies in search of the elusive warm weather of summer. Follow us!

      Nothing says "Summer" like Sunflowers, and up here in Northern Michigan, where there is still a lot of snow on the ground, the warm days of summer are on everyone's mind.

      Where's Kaye? First she was in Oklahoma. Then she found her way to Denver. Now, word has it she's wandering toward Puyallup. What's all this? Well, springtime is the season for the big quilt shows, and you know our Kaye Wood, she loves those shows. So, while the Cat's away (Kaye), we're gonna play! And we're cleaning house. Starting with Kaye's Strip Quilting Projects Books.

      Strip Quilting Projects Books 2-8 only $3.00 each!

      http://www.kayewood.com/sale

      This is quite a sale. These books are already discounted from $12.00 down to $5.00 regular price, and now, just this week, you can get them for $3.00 each. Go to our sale page to check out the projects in each book.

      Also....

      2 pages of:

      New On The Site....

      These playful dogs are 6- and 7- inches tall when finished. Make these delightful jointed dolls from felted wool (shown), coat-weight wool, or heavyweight polar fleece. Directions included for felting wool.

      The apron blocks are simple to make with paper piecing. They can be embellished with scraps of rick rack, lace, or embroidery. The pieced sashing looks intricate but is quick and easy. Use 1930- 1940's reproduction fabrics to make a fun 36-inch-square quilt.

      Kaye's Schedule...
      Teacher Certification Classes....

      Next week we will have another group of Quilting the Kaye Wood Way Certified Teachers. There are a lot of students just waiting for a teacher in their area. There are still a few openings, due to cancellations, in my class in Puyallup on Wednesday of next week. Brother machines are furnished for the class, so all you need to do is bring the fabric and supplies for your chosen project. Just email me, kaye@... to register or to get more information.

      In The Forums....
      • Carolina Lily Basket Pattern
      • The Folks in New Zealand are wondering about our snow
      • Sewlucky has found some flour sacks

      See if you can help, join the discussions, or post your own questions in our forum!

      http://www.kayewood.com/forum/

      Quilting Shows on your computer - Free - 24/7....

      Kaye and Joan Hawley, of Lazy Girl Designs take summer head on with Joan's ultra easy, Summer Tote Pattern.

      See the Video, free, here: KayeWoodTV.com
      FYI: Programs are best viewed with a high speed connection

      Order the pattern here:

      Show and Tell....

      Send me your Show and Tell pictures and stories (50 words or less, please)

      More Show and Tell Quilts

      These are some of the gifts that I made for my sisters this year.These were made from the pattern Folded Snowflakes by DJ Richards Design. Each one takes about 3 1/2 hours to make.I have made a total of five and still don’t have one for myself. They are a lot of work, but they are worth it. Because they were so much work I sprayed each one with Scotch Guard. - Janice
      I made this wall hanging for a friend and neighbor. The plaids are from shirts that belonged to her deceased husband. She has recently been diagnosed with cancer, so I made it hoping it will bring her some comfort. The pattern is called Easy Stars. It is from a class that was offered in the Learning Fiber Arts Yahoo group.
      - Carol

      Tips From Our Readers....

      I heard about fabric boards to organize fabric. After researching the cost, I knew there was no way, so I looked for another solution to achieve the same results. I found cake boards online for approx. 25 cents each when ordered in quantities of 100, 10 x 14 size. I can cut slits/openings wherever they are needed, just as the fabric boards. They work best to cut a 3-sided slot out to place the fabric under when starting to wrap fabric. I just use a straight pin after I wrapped all the fabric to secure the fabric to the board. You can stand the boards upright, so you can see all of your fabrics at a glance. Now anytime I buy new fabric, it gets a board immediately. I am so thrilled I can see and get my fabrics out without having to restack and refold. Hopefully, this tip will help someone else get organized in 2010!! ....Sherry

      I ran out of tracing paper for patterns when sewing and discovered the plastic shopping sacks from dept stores work really well, can see through easily and can mark on with pen, of course you have to be careful of the plastic around children.....Ellen

      We want your tips....

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd
      like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear
      about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below, and it will
      find a place in our newsletter!
      terrye@...?subject=sharewithus

      Quilting Events in February and March...

      Has your guild or quilting group scheduled a show? Let us know the where's, when's and how's and we'll put you on our Quilting Events Page.

      The Whole List....

      Funny Stories From Our Readers....

      Whether funny, touching, or mysterious you all have your stories, and we want to hear them. Come on, fess up.... you can't possibly think that you're the only one whose done........

      Send them to us, here and we'll include them in our newsletters.

      I have a orange Maine Coon cat. He is 6 now but when he was a kitten he loved to hang out with me in the sewing room. So much more fun with plenty of things to get into. Well one day he was in my sewing room and I heard his little meow and he kept at it, so I looked around my sewing table to see him all tangled in thread from a spool. He got so tangled he could not move his legs or head. I laughed so hard! That's why we named him Stitch, he keeps us in stitches.
      ....Irene

      My name is Tummer, and I am a mild orange and white male CAT! I came to my owners house January 1 1996. I was out in the cold no home, no food, only what I could find and that was not too much at times. Yes it was very COLD. I had found a older couple who would put out warm food so that I did have a warm meal. So I kind of liked them. I don't know how old I am, or where I came from, but I have a new home.
      In the early spring they gave me salmon skin and I gradually came to like them much better. One day as I was eating they trapped me and took me off to the Veterinary Hospital where I was de-geared, all the necessary needles, de-flea, de-lice and dental work. It cost them a good penny to get me ship-shaped. But when I came out of hospital I was a new boy minus my gears, but that was OK. We had a great life after that.
      My job description was to LOVE them and only ask for food in return. I liked their other lady friend Patches, but some times she had attitude and would hit me in the face if I just looked at her, but I would get her back, by playing touch tag. We became best friends after a battle or two. My other job was to sit or fall asleep on my masters fabric, she would sew and I would be only inches from the sewing machine, watching or some times bugging her to let me out for my walk about.
      In later years I graduated from being out side to being inside and yup in Bed with my master, putting him to bed and then a few minutes later trying to put my mistress to bed, she was a little harder. One of my favorite games watching a mouse, not killing it, just watching it. Got heck to that one.
      I turned into a real softy, sorry to say I am now in cat heaven with Patches, (2006) and
      yes I do miss my masters....Tummer

      Life Before Technology
      A program was a TV show.
      A cursor used profanity.