Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Feb 9, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2010

      On Sale, Clearance, Damaged,Deal of the Day, and New Items

      Kaye's Schedule

      In The Forums

      KayeWoodTV.com

      Our Readers Show and Tell

      Tips From Our Readers

      Quilting Events in February and March

      Funny Stories From Our Readers

      Past and Current February Events

      Funny Quips (try typing that without going directly to the "lt"!)

      Quilting the Kaye Wood Way

      Follow Us On Twitter

      So, "The Groundhog", also known as "Phil" came out of his hole and saw his shadow! 6 more weeks of winter, no surprise there, if it's only 6 weeks, we'll consider ourselves lucky. For that reason alone, the late winter holidays hold special significance. There is an oasis in an island of snow to hold on to.

      The crocuses and tulips will eventually break through the still foot of snow on the ground, but in the meantime, while we sit in our cozy houses and watch yet another winter storm come down, let's quilt!

      Price Rollback.... Starmaker Master Template Set $55.00!

      http://www.kayewood.com/sale

      If you'd like to improve your quilting, try the Starmaker Master Template Set that Kaye uses in about all of her projects. Using these will ensure your angles will always be accurate which makes your quilt go together much easier. Made of acrylic and suitable for rotary cutting, now you can take the guesswork out of all of your measuring and cutting. It comes complete with the Starmaker 5, 6 and 8 rulers, a Starmaker Design Concepts technique book, and a 77 minute Starmaker Design Concepts DVD! Here are just some of things you can do with your Starmaker Master Template Set!

      Cutting Stars With Kaye's Starmakers!

      Click HERE for a PDF download

      Also....

      2 pages of:

      New On The Site....

      Show Me What's New!

      Romantic Heart Table Runner (left), and Sweetheart Table Runner (right)....both designed by Rebecca Anderson of Rebecca Ruth Designs.

      Designer Profile....

      Rebecca Anderson is a talented designer with her own line of apron, quilt, and soft doll patterns, Rebecca Ruth Designs. She is a prize-winning quilt maker who loves to lecture and teach workshops.

      Rebecca's quilts have appeared in local and national quilt shows, including the American Quilter's Society (AQS) show in Nashville, the National Quilting Association (NQA) show in Chicago, and the International Quilt Festival in Houston. In 2004 she won second place in the hand quilting division of the Quilter's Newsletter Magazine contest. She has written for Better Homes and Gardens Quilting Ideas, Country Sampler Decorating Ideas, and contributed to numerous books. She is the proud mother of three grown children and has one beloved grandson. She lives with her husband, Dave, in Washington State.

      Kaye's Schedule...
      Teacher Certification Classes....

      In The Forums....
      • Granny is looking for a Basket Of Flowers pattern
      • Moms 4 Marines Pattern name
      • Sewlucky has found some flour sacks

      See if you can help, join the discussions, or post your own questions in our forum!

      http://www.kayewood.com/forum/

      Quilting Shows on your computer - Free - 24/7....

      Kaye demonstrates Strip Cutting with the Starmaker Master Template Set

      See the Video, free, here: KayeWoodTV.com
      FYI: Programs are best viewed with a high speed connection

      Show and Tell....

      Send me your Show and Tell pictures and stories (50 words or less, please)

      More Show and Tell Quilts

      I made this for various the Music Booster raffles in my area. It's called Chocolate Covered Cherries. The raffle will go off at the spring band concert next May. - Lisa
      I made my husband a quilt for his birthday. I worked on piecing it for months, neglecting to mention that it wasn't just another gift project. I have someone else longarm quilt for me, so he never saw the whole design until I gave it to him. He never guessed that the space
      ships and planets were for him - Andrea

      Tips From Our Readers....

      My sewing machine has a spool holder that lies down and the thread was always getting caught in the slit on the spool, thus breaking and causing headaches. My solution is to keep a rough emery board handy and smooth the thread spool the first time I use it. True, you can't slip the thread in the slit anymore, but that is much better than having to re thread the machine every few turns of the spool....Wylma

      I use the small binder clips, available at many dollar stores, to hold my binding when I am hand sewing the back. I only use 3, as I come to one, I move it to the end and just work my way around the whole quilt. It holds the binding in place and also holds the corners square until you sew them down....Pat

      We want your tips....

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd
      like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear
      about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below, and it will
      find a place in our newsletter!
      terrye@...?subject=sharewithus

      Quilting Events in February and March...

      Has your guild or quilting group scheduled a show? Let us know the where's, when's and how's and we'll put you on our Quilting Events Page.

      The Whole List....

      Funny Stories From Our Readers....

      Whether funny, touching, or mysterious you all have your stories, and we want to hear them. Come on, fess up.... you can't possibly think that you're the only one whose done........

      Send them to us, here and we'll include them in our newsletters.

      I was teaching my daughter-in-law's niece, Hannah, how to sew quilt blocks together at Thanksgiving time. She was concentrating so hard her head would hit the part that makes the needle go up and down. After the third mark on her forehead, I gave her my grandsons hard hat to put on.It was so cute....Arlene

      In 2004 when multiple hurricanes hit Florida, rescued pets were re-located from South Florida to the west coast of Florida to the panhandle and finally to Texas. Being from South Florida and now living in Texas we decided that no one would come to Texas looking for their lost cat, and we decided to adopt one. My original intent was to adopt an orange tabby. When we went to the shelter, cages were stacked every where and a little black paw reached out of a cage and caught my arm. Needless to say Jake went home with us. The first month, he hid under our couch, away from our other cats. We never even saw him come out to eat. One day I got out my sewing machine to sew on the dining room table. Jake hurried out from under the couch, jumped across the chairs and laid down on the table right next to my sewing machine. Later when I sat in my recliner to do some hand sewing on the quilt, he jumped in my lap and slept on the quilt. That continues to be his favorite habitat, although he is friendlier with the rest of the zoo in our home now. Jake was somebody's quilting kitty, and God found him another quilting home here....Carla

      Past and Current February Events....
      February 6, 1935 - The board game Monopoly first went on sale.
      February 8, 1910 - The Boy Scouts were founded.
      February 12, 2010 - Winter Olympics Begin
      February 15, 2010 - Presidents Day
      February 16, 2010 - Fat Tuesday
      February 17, 2010 - Ash Wednesday
      February 28,1692 - The Salem Witch Hunts begin.

      Funny Quips!
      A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.
      First you consume chocolate, then chocolate consumes you!
      Some people are afraid of heights. I'm afraid of widths!
      I'm on a 90 day wonder diet. Thus far, I've lost 45 days.
      I keep trying to lose weight, but it keeps finding me.

      That's all for this week....

      Have a great week everyone from