Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, 2.2.10

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2010

      Hi Quilters,

      Happy Valentine's Day (in a week and a half or so).

      Quilters LOVE their craft. Whether you're a quilter or the lucky recipient of a quilt, the love that goes into each and every project is evident.

      Kaye's in Denver this week, if you happen to stop by, check out booth #818, there are show specials, and a bonus for you if you mention Kaye's dog, Dawson!

      We've got a new sale for you this week, as well as funny quilter's stories, tips and techniques from our readers, and a free technique from Kaye!

      Obligatory Technical Stuff....

      Most of our newsletters include pictures. Different operating systems (esp. Vista) and email programs (i.e. Outlook 2007) may not automatically display these pictures or they may display them as empty boxes with or without the dreaded "red x". Look for a the "Click Here" at the top of the email and that should display the email correctly. Also be sure to add us to your safe senders list!

      Buy the DVD of either Springtime Hearts or Hearts In Bloom and get the pattern FREE!

      That's right, for each DVD you order you save $8 by getting the pattern for FREE! With Valentine's Day just around the corner, now is the perfect time to be thinking hearts! Read on for more info about these two awesome patterns!

      http://www.kayewood.com/sale

      Springtime is here all year round with this wonderful Springtime Hearts pattern, so put those florals to good use! Fussy cut your floral hearts and then frame them with the larger, solid colored hearts. Appliqué the hearts to a background block and there you have it! Pattern comes with full instructions that include two different tips for appliqué and complete binding directions for mitered corners. Uses Kaye's View & Do Heart Shape (sold separately).

      Sizes: Wallhanging, Twin, Double, King

      With this fun and easy Hearts In Bloom pattern, you make four heart sizes which are layered and appliquéd to a background square. The flowers bloom when the heart blocks are sewn together. Uses Kaye's View & Do Heart Shape and EZ Under (sold separately).

      Sizes: Wallhanging, Twin, Double, King

      http://www.kayewood.com/sale

      View & Do Heart Shapes

      4 removable templates nest together to make this a must have tool for your sewing/craft room. Made of hard plastic suitable for rotary cutting, you can make 2, 4, 6, or 8 inch shapes. This is great for many quilting projects or scrapbook designs.

      How does EZ Under work? Draw the image on the EZ Under and sew it, right sides together with your fabric. Turn right sides out and appliqué the fabric to a backing with a blanket or blind hem stitch. Those turned under edges will be smooth with no bulk or puckers. Use it for all of your appliquéd items.

      Size: 36" x 60"

      2 pages of:

      New On The Site....
      Cutting Stars With Kaye's Starmakers!

      Click HERE for a PDF download

      Dogs, Dogs, Dogs

      These playful dogs are 6- and 7- inches tall when finished. Make these delightful jointed dolls from felted wool (shown), coat-weight wool, or heavyweight polar fleece. Directions included for felting wool.

      Check out all of our new items!

      Kaye's Schedule...

      Denver, CO, (short seminar) Feb 4-6, 2010, register here

      More Info on The Denver Rocky Mountain Show Expo

      Teacher Certification Classes....

      In The Forums....
      • Nancynice asks about fat quarters
      • Joanh is looking for flour sacks

      See if you can help, or post your own questions in our forum!

      http://www.kayewood.com/forum/

      Click here to see how this quilt is constructed!

      See the Video, free, here: KayeWoodTV.com

      The Love Letters Pattern is here

      and the DVD of the show is here

      Show and Tell....

      Send me your Show and Tell pictures and stories (50 words or less, please)

      More Show and Tell Quilts

      My youngest son absolutely loves the feel of this type of material, so, I made him an early Christmas present which he is using during these very frigid, single and low double digit temps. Merry Christmas, everyone!

      - Jolene

      I made one each of the Star Table Drape and Tree Skirt for the Senior Craft Sale at our church and they went like hot cakes. I now have several orders to make them in different colors. They do take a bit of time, but are fun to make. Thanks for teaching me the technique.

      - Paulette

      Tips From Our Readers....

      I save my dryer sheets after using them in a load of laundry. When I collect a ziplock bag full I press them off and they become stiff just like they were in the new box. I use them as my base for my strip quilting or the backs of any appliqués I am doing. If I am strip quilting larger squares, I just sew two or three dryer sheets together and rotary cut to the size I need. When the quilt is complete, it smells heavenly! Recycle!

      Cathy....

      A tip for keeping my sewing room cleaner: I collect milk glass and use my pretty little bowls to collect thread snips for felting projects. I tend to take the time to put my snips in the bowl because I have a use for them and they look pretty in the white bowls. I always use what I collect and enjoy having the bowls around instead of tucked away for safekeeping.

      We want your tips....

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd
      like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear
      about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below, and it will
      find a place in our newsletter!
      terrye@...?subject=sharewithus

      Quilting Events in February and March...

      Has your guild or quilting group scheduled a show? Let us know the where's, when's and how's and we'll put you on our Quilting Events Page.

      Funny Stories From Our Readers....

      Whether funny, touching, or mysterious you all have your stories, and we want to hear them. Come on, fess up.... you can't possibly think that you're the only one whose done........

      Send them to us, here and we'll include them in our newsletters.

      Around thirty years ago I made a queen size quilt in an eight pointed star pattern for my sister and her husband (she is a principle at a school of the arts and he is a psychiatrist and head of the department at a local hospital). So I took pains with this quilt cause I knew I had to have it just right to prove I could be an artist also. Well they were coming home and I still had the last few quilting stitches and binding to finish. The night before they were to arrive home I finished the quilt and took it over to my parents and we laid it out on the floor. It was done in burgundy, navy and a neutral color. It was the best I ever had done. Until my mother said look at the pattern why did you do that. And I looked at it and still didn't see what she did. She said look at it close it has a cross in it right through the middle. And did I mention my brother in law is also a minister. My parents said don't worry about it they won't notice it. So the next day I opened it out for them and the first thing my brother in law said was how nice you put a cross in the quilt. Sure no one would notice. They liked it that way and wouldn't let me change the quilt. My nephew slept under that quilt till it fell apart. ....Connie

      The Lighter Side
      If it weren't for stress, I'd have no energy at all.
      Usually I try to take it one day at a time, but lately several have attacked me at once!
      Everytime I think I've hit the bottom, someone lends me a shovel.
      Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
      I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

      Quilting the Kaye Wood Way

      Follow Us On Twitter

      That's all for this week....

      Have a great week everyone from