Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Week of 1.12.10

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2010

      It is said that if you look into the Northern Sky on a cold clear night you will see the skies dance!

      And it's true. Once in awhile we are blessed enough to be able to see this magic, known as The Aurora Borealis, or The Northern Lights. They are limitless in their beauty, and the imagination cannot possibly perceive the endless displays that Mother Nature's own light show provides.

      Truly, the inspiration of any fabric dyers and quilters lucky enough to have witnessed this magic.

      Have you been inspired by "the lights" in your quilting? We'd love to see pictures. Please send them here!

      New Sale....
      Free Fantastic Fans and Wedge Designs Ebook, with purchase of the Starmaker 5 Master Template.

      Fantastic Fans Ebook, Free With Purchase of Starmaker 5

      Easy enough for a beginner, challenging enough for the more advanced quilter. Follow Kaye Wood's step-by-step directions to create projects such as Buttons and Bows, Fancy Fans, Victorian Fantasy, Spinning Jacks and baby quilts, plus many other patterns. Techniques include how to prepare your fabric, accurate measuring, sewing and pressing tips, mitered corners and other helpful suggestions.  Uses the Starmaker® 5 (sold separately).

      Sale Items Are Here

      Also, be sure to check out our HURT items, on the sale page. Deep discounts on scratched and dented, torn and ripped covers, but the patterns and books are intact.

      Hurt Books Are Here

      Kaye's Schedule....

      Oklahoma City, OK, (short seminar) Jan 14-16, 2010

      Denver, CO (short seminar) Feb 4-6

      Denver, CO, (short seminar) Feb 4-6, 2010, register here

      More Info on The Denver Rocky Mountain Show Expo

      Kaye Wood Certification
      All-Day Workshop Wednesday Feb 3, 2010.
      Quilting Teachers, start with a one day class from Kaye Wood and Become an independent Kaye Wood Teacher. A list of available classes will be sent to you. Something for everyone—beginner to more advanced classes.
      Sign up Now, space is limited!

      Teacher Certification Classes....

      Print a coupon for admission,here

      Our Deal of the Day is back.

      It may not be every day, but it's always going to be a real good deal!

      Check it out on our sale page. Bookmark it and check back every day!

      Quilting Shows on your computer - Free - 24/7....

      Windmill Baby Quilt Using Kaye's Starmaker 5

      See the Video, free, here: KayeWoodTV.com

      I designed this quilt using Windham’s Paper Doll Fabric. Original was made for my Granddaughter, Jocelyn. The quilt has a secret closet for block #11 and a hidden pocket for the dolly clothing. It was great fun to make!
      I also made paper dolls from the leftover dolls (after fussy cutting the ones for the quilt). Can’t waste those adorable dolls! The clothing is usable for both projects.

      - Virginia
      Show and Tell....

      Send me your Show and Tell pictures and stories (50 words or less, please)

      More Show and Tell Quilts

      This is a Moda fabric called Holly Holly Snowman. The designer of the quilt kit is Kahy Schmitz of Quiltin Country in Killeen Texas

      - Jane

      Tips From Our Readers....

      Tip for seam ripper replacement. Since I work with high school students on the Quilts of Valor project, many times they need to remove the stitches they've made. The 'old' seam rippers were sharp and the students poked themselves, but worse than that, many times the fabric was cut and sometimes unusable. I found a solution: use an eyebrow trimmer/razor.

      They will cut the threads but not the fabric or the user, and are 6" long so easy to hold on to. You can just run it along between the layers of fabric rather than pick out the stitches, so its much faster. Even better, I found a package of 3 at the 99 cent store. For me, I can keep one by the machine, one with my project and one to misplace--maybe the rest of you don't have that problem, but whatever I need is always somewhere else! And, the bonus is the frosted plastic cover fits on the other end of the handle, so it doesn't get lost.
      PS we are in need of quilt blocks again...we have two high schools doing sew days for Quilts of Valor in Jan & Feb. Our wounded veterans are soooo appreciative of the love put into their quilts.

      Barbara Winkler, Chairman, So Cal Quilts of Valor
      Bellflower, CA

      We want your tips!

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd
      like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear
      about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below, and it will
      find a place in our newsletter!

      Quilting Events in January and February...

      It's a new year! Has your guild or quilting group scheduled a show? Let us know the wheres, whens and hows and we'll put you on our Quilting Events Page.

      Road to California Quilter’s Conference and Showcase
      “The Best in the West”
      at the Ontario Convention Center, Ontario CA
      January 14-17, 2010 http://www.road2ca.com/

      Oregon Gardens presents Stitches in Bloom Quilt Show and Innovative Traditions Workshop, Jan 27th-30th, For more information go to www.oregongarden.org/Events or call 503-874-2536

      Manatee Patchworkers in Bradenton, FL, February 6 & 7, 2010, Bradenton Municipal Auditorium, www.manateepatchworkers.org.

      Funny Stories From Our Readers....

      Whether funny, touching, or mysterious you all have your stories, and we want to hear them. Come on, fess up.... you can't possibly think that you're the only one whose done........

      Send them to us, here and we'll include them in our newsletters.

      I was a young Mom in 1970 with three children, under the age of four, and living in Alaska with my military husband. I had not sewn since Jr. High school but decided it was time to learn again. So after several successful projects for newborn daughter, decided to make a long-sleeved shirt for my husband. Now these were the days of long collars, etc. I successfully extended the collar to his satisfaction and finally finished my project with a proud smile. When he put it on, much to my dismay, I had sewn the two button cuffs on the wrong sleeves (how was I to know there was a difference??!) They buttoned on the inside of his wrists and not the outside. He did wear the shirt, but had to twist the cuffs. LOL. Never did that again. Smile....Sharon

      What are the Northern Lights?

      The aurora was named after the Roman goddess of dawn by a 17th Century scientist named Pierre Gassend. It was long thought to be produced by sunlight reflected from polar snow and ice, or refracted light much like rainbows.  Benjamin Franklin, Aristotle, Descartes, Edmund Halley, Goethe, and Henry Cavendish have all been fascinated by their array in the night sky, and have all written papers about them.

      The simplest explanation for the Northern Lights is that, just as the gas in a Neon light glows when charged with electricity, so the gas in the atmosphere glows with specific colors when charged with electric particles from the sun....From The Northern Lights by Porter Johnson

      Quilting the Kaye Wood Way

      Skate Along With Us On Twitter

      That's all for this week....

      Have a great week everyone from