Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Week of 12.15.09

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 15, 2009

      As I sit in my sewing studio, I can look out my wall of windows and see the fresh snow on the trees. The snow will probably still be there in the spring-just more of it. The best part is that it doesn't get dirty, so it is always nice to look at.  We have several evergreen trees and they are the prettiest of all at this season. The snow will stay in the trees until we get a blizzardy wind.

      Occasionally some deer and wild turkey cross the yard on their way to our trout stream. It looks like a Christmas wonderland.

      Why doesn't the snow disappear from the spots where it isn't wanted, like the driveway and the sidewalk, and stay fresh and nice out my sewing room window? Oh well, I can dream.

      This time of year, I love to look at all the Christmas fabric. It just shouts, "sew with me".  But I am a procrastinator and it is time to put that aside and do some decorating for Christmas.

      Have a great Christmas and holiday season

      Kaye

      Don't forget to take pictures of your finished or "almost finished" Christmas projects and email pictures of them to us. Simply email us here and we'll put them up on our Show and Tell page.

      New Sale....
      Starting Our Christmas Sales

      10 Under 10!

      It might be the price, it might be a special postage sale, but these are all guaranteed to be 10.00 or under! The sales will be changed every few days, so keep checking back!

      Fantastic Fans And Wedge Designs Ebook - 1/2 price
      and
      Easy Hexagon Designs Ebook - 1/2 price

      Fantastic Fans and Wedge Designs Ebook -
      Easy enough for a beginner, challenging enough for the more advanced quilter. Follow Kaye Wood's step-by-step directions to create projects such as Buttons and Bows, Fancy Fans, Victorian Fantasy, Spinning Jacks and baby quilts, plus many other patterns. Techniques include how to prepare your fabric, accurate measuring, sewing and pressing tips, mitered corners and other helpful suggestions. Uses the Starmaker® 5 (sold separately).

      Click Here To Watch Kaye Cutting Pointed Fans - From the Fantastic Fans and Wedge Designs Book

      Fantastic Fans Ebook - 1/2 price!

      Regular price is $12.00/ each, and this week, you can get each of them for only 6.00. Half Price!

      Easy Hexagon Designs - If you love hexagons but find them complicated, Kaye Wood simplifies it with her quick and easy cutting designs. 35 projects include the Hawaiian Quilt, Grandmother's Flower Garden, divided hexagons, honeycombs and hexagon log cabins, to name a few. Numerous tips are included along with finishing techniques for borders, layering your quilt, machine quilting and mitered corners. Uses the View & Do™ Hexagon and Starmaker® 6 (sold separately).

      Easy Hexagon Designs Ebook - 1/2 price!

      Also, be sure to check out our HURT items, on the sale page. These items may have scratches and dents, tears and rips in the covers, but the patterns and books are intact. These are not all within our 10-under-10 deals, but still have deep discounts.

      Hurt Books Are Here

      New On Our Site....A New Bag From Joan Hawley of Lazy Girl Designs and Cascade of Quilting Essentials Book....
      Maggie!

      Order Maggie here!

      From Joan Hawley of Lazy Girl Designs.

      Little bags for little things. Two sizes: 4 1/2” x 5”, 3 1/4” x 4”. Made from 10” squares. Great for layer cake cuts! Use for a camera or cell phone case and still carry by its leash. Or add ribbon and a clip to hang from a favorite purse. Stow, tuck, hang, clip either size anywhere you need a little bag.

      Order Maggie here!

      Cascade of Quilting Essentials Book

      Order Cascade of Quilting Essentials Here!

      Carrying and storage bags for all of your quilting essentials. Even a quilter's tool belt!

      5 projects that you have-to-have. Both quilters and sewers will love this book. Barb Sackel has created the patterns and directions necessary to create a set of quilting accessories any stitcher would love. Included are the following:

      • Ruler Wrap Carry and Storage Bag - size 13" x 21", skill level - advanced beginner
      • Mat Carry Bag - size 20" x 22", skill level - advanced beginner
      • Quilter's Tool Belt - skill level - advanced beginner
      • Pansy Patch Carry Bag
      • and a bonus pattern - Midnight Go Green Carry All Bag with expandable sides - size 17"x15"x8", skill level - advanced beginner

      See all the projects and color variations here: http://www.kayewood.com/cascade_of_quilting.html

      Kaye's Schedule....
      • Oklahoma City, OK, (short seminar) Jan 13-16, 2010, register here (seminars on Thursday, Friday and Saturday and a special "It Funny To Be Famous" talk on Sunday.
      • Denver, CO, (short seminar) Feb 4-6, 2010, register here
      • Puyallup, WA, (short seminar) Feb 25, 2010, register at www.sewexpo.com
      • Loveland, CO, (short seminar), Aug 20-22, register here
      • Chautauqua, NY, (day long seminar) Sept 24-26, 2010, register here
      Teacher Certification Classes....
      Find out what all the fuss is about!
      Go here to
      Download Our Catalog:
      Our catalog is available online, anytime, anywhere!
      Convenient shopping day or night.
      http://www.kayewood.com/category/
      Download_our_Catalog/c76

      Show And Tell:

      More and more pictures of quilts are being sent in, along with their stories. Is yours listed? Check them out and send a picture of your creations, here

      Please list my quilt for Show and Tell

      Quilting Shows on your computer - Free - 24/7....

      Watch as Kaye shows us how to cut and sew Pointed Fans

      Buy the ebook, Fantastic Fans and Wedge Designs (half price this week....) here (electronic format - downloads instantly - no shipping charges!)

      See the Video, free, here: KayeWoodTV.com

      I started a quilting group 3 years ago as there was not one that met all day anywhere near where I now live. I ended up being the ‘teacher’ as most ladies who joined were complete beginners. Here is a small quilt (21 x 18) that I made to demonstrate one method of quilting landscape wallhangings. My son and his girlfriend wanted it so I had to get it finished. I am rather pleased with how it turned out....Shirley

      Send me your Show and Tell pictures and stories (50 words or less, please)

      More Show and Tell Quilts

      FAQS on our ebooks

      We were among the first in the quilting industry to present some of our books and patterns in electronic format and we continue to do so. These ebooks are immediately available to you as a download and there's no shipping. Just click on the download link after you complete your order and save them to your computer (adobe reader is required). Then you can print them to store with your other patterns and books, or choose to keep them on your computer. Cool!

      Go here for a listing of our current ebooks and epatterns....

      Tips From Our Readers....

      I have more than one sewing machine and each one takes a different style bobbin. To eliminate confusion, especially on the clear colored plastic ones, I assign a color to each machine and permanent marker the side of the bobbin with that color. I also keep the separate bobbins in a well marked bobbin holder so that I know which one is which....Joanne

      I often go to sewing classes that require you to bring your own machine. There are times when the same model of machine is in the classroom. I put an address sticker on both the machine and the carrying case for identity purposes. I also label patterns, rulers and other equipment. This eliminates the "Who's is this?" questions at clean up time and helps getting borrowed items returned....Joanne

      We want your tips!
      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd
      like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear
      about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below, and it will
      find a place in our newsletter!
      terrye@...?subject=sharewithus

      Quilting Events in December...

      Is your quilting event listed on our site? Send me your info and we'll get you listed...

      Tips and Techniques from Kaye.

      This week....Envelope Finish:
      An envelope, or pillow finish requires a backing fabric cut the same size as the quilt top. The two pieces are then sewn, right sides together, with or without batting. Sew around 3-1/2 sides of the quilt, if batting is sewn into the seam line, the batting should be next to the quilt top – this will eliminate the seam allowance showing through from the top of the quilt.

      Christmas Traditions Around The World
      In Scandinavia a little gnome called Julenisse puts the presents under the Christmas tree in the night. The children leave a bowl of porridge out for him.
      It is from Scandinavia that most of our Yule log traditions derive. The dark cold winters inspired the development of traditions concerned with warmth and light. Yuletide, meaning "the turning of the sun" or the winter solstice, has traditionally been a time of extreme importance in Scandinavia. For a long time, it was considered dangerous to sleep alone on Christmas Eve. The extended family, master and servant, alike would sleep together on a freshly spread bed of straw.

      The Yule log was originally an entire tree, carefully chosen, and brought into the house with great ceremony. The butt end would be placed into the hearth while the rest of the tree stuck out into the room. The tree would be slowly fed into the fire and the entire process was carefully timed to last the entire Yule season.

      In Scandinavia an important part of Christmas is the candles. It is said that the presents are brought by gnomes who live in the attics of houses all the year round.

      From Santas.net

      Quilting the Kaye Wood Way

      That's all for this week....

      Have a great week everyone from