Quilting The Kaye Wood Way Newsletter 5.27.09

    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2009

      Quilting The Kaye Wood Way

      I hope you had a terrific Memorial Day. Even though it's over, we are dedicating this newsletter to this very special day.

      I have an extra special reason to celebrate. My grandson has left Iraq and he will be home for a few weeks this summer. If you pass by a military person somewhere, tell him or her thanks. Consider thanking them by making a quilt for the Quilts of Valor or Wounded Warriors.

      How many of you ever get the chance to play with quilting techniques? This week we are extending a challenge to you to try different techniques and let us know what you think. It would be fun to do this as a group, but try it even if your group is just you. Once your quilt is finished, no one will know what technique you used to make that quilt; but I would rather make it using the fastest and most accurate way. What do you think? Take The Challenge!

      We will be extending other technique challenges in the future.
      Have a great day.

      On Sale This Week....

      $5.00 off Everyone Can Quilt!

      The beautiful Star Spangled Quilt Pattern shown at the right along with 19 other projects in the book can be yours. 100+ tips and techniques for every skill level are packed into 144 pages making this the ultimate in "How To Quilt" handbooks.

      Everyone Can Quilt Book For $17.99....

      Kaye's In Grand Rapids, MI!....

      Check back next week for an update on just what in the world she was doing there....

      I Want To Watch Kaye's Videos....

      To get an email when we put up a new video, click:
      notify me when there's a new show....

      Search Our Site....

      Looking for something in particular? Try the search box at the top right hand of virtually every page. Just enter what you're looking for and see what pops up!

      Kaye's Quilting Friends Discussion List....

      This list, sponsored through YahooGroups is a lively, high volume list. Join the fun!

      Tips From Our Readers

      Go to your favorite store and go to the toothbrush department and buy a pkg. of DenTek floss Threaders.  Boy do they work good at threading the needles.  I keep them at my sewing machine all of the time.   They really work great on your sergers.  Mary

      Send us your tips.......

      Our readers show off their quilts....
      Here is a quilt I made for 2008 MOMS4MARINES annual picnic. We sold a lot of tickets and were able to raise money to send Christmas packages to our troops in Iraq.  It’s a very good cause and the families that come are growing every year.  It is an open picnic for any family that has a family member in the Marines, already in boot camp or going to boot camp, or deployed.  It’s a fun day for them all.  We always have a great time. Donna
      Marine Quilts gives quilts to the next of kin of our fallen soldiers to remind them that we feel for their sacrifice. You can go to their website to see examples and to get instructions for donating blocks. Astrid
      If you have a quilt or wallhanging you've made and would like us to see it, send us a picture, along with a 50 or so word description of what makes your project special! Send to: terrye@...

      Coming up......

      Quilts of Valor - student and parent sew-in, Sat May 30 10am-4pm at Lakewood High School, Lakewood, CA, Sat Oct 24 9am-5pm at Wilson High School, Long Beach, CA
      Quilts of Valor needs to have 12.5″ blocks ready for them to sew together, so if you have anything to donate, send them to this worthy cause.  They will also take strips, squares, fabric, UFO’s, etc to help us in this huge endeavor.  The quilts only need to be at least 50″x60″, so basically 20 blocks plus a border!  They can provide a block pattern if you want, or you can use one you are comfortable with.  Patriotic colorings are nice, but not required, anything can be used.  Remember 10% of our wounded are females, so pastels, florals, etc are all usable
      P.S. To those of you who contributed to our event last year, THANKS.  The kids assembled 50 quilt tops in 12 hours!!  Great Job.
      any questions, email socalQoV@...

      This list has been falsely credited to Andy Rooney. He is not the author, rather it is a compilation of many from age 5 to 95. (Snopes)
      I've learned that~

      (continued from last week....)

      ~everyone you meet deserves to be greeted with a smile.

      ~there's nothing sweeter than sleeping with your babies and feeling their breath on your cheeks.

      ~no one is perfect until you fall in love with them.

      ~life is tough, but I'm tougher.

      ~opportunities are never lost; someone will take the ones you miss.

      ~when you harbor bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

      ~I wish I could have told my Dad that I love him one more time before he passed away.

      ~one should keep his words both soft and tender, because tomorrow he may have to eat them.

      ~a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

      ~when your newly born grandchild holds your little finger in his little fist, you're hooked for life.

      ~everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it.

      ~the less time I have to work with, the more things I get done.

      Contact us:

      • Kaye Wood, Inc
      • PO Box 456
      • West Branch, MI 48661