Quilting The Kaye Wood Way Newsletter 5.5.09

    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2009

      Quilting The Kaye Wood Way

      Stanley, Wisconsin, was the place to be this past weekend, and I was there. Donna Haas, quilter, designer and owner of Sew & Sew Quilts & Fabrics, invited me to present my "Quilting the Kaye Wood Way" lecture/seminar/trunk show. It was a great day and I now have 120 new quilting friends. It was fun sharing my original cutting and piecing techniques with them. In the morning, the quilts all featured the View & Do TM Shapes

      with lots of ideas for all levels of quilting projects. Then in the afternoon, I shared many of the varied quilts that could easily and accurately made with the Starmaker® Master Templates. All through the day, projects for the Pointless People were included; these quilts are a great place for beginning quilters to start. These quilts always look much more difficult than they are to make and the "Ah" factor for these quilts is always great for a new quilter to hear.

      Thank you Donna and all her quilting friends who made this day a great success.

      If you missed out on this fun day, keep checking our website for our next show! http://www.kayewood.com/blog/schedule/kayesschedule/

      Look throughout this newsletter for different patterns that accompany Kaye's View & DoTM Heart Template. Just click on the pictures to order any of these patterns, and remember, all are available as an epattern too!

      On Sale This Week

      http://www.kayewood.com/sale

      Kaye's Hearts In Bloom Pattern is yours for 1/2 price with purchase of her View & DoTM Heart Template.

      With this fun and easy pattern, you make four heart sizes which are layered and appliqued to a background square. The flowers bloom when the heart blocks are sewn together. The Hearts in Bloom pattern also uses EZ Under (sold separately).

      Sizes: Wallhanging, Twin, Double, King

      DVD available of this project featured on Kaye’s Quilting Friends TV Show K1811.

      Hearts In Bloom Pattern and Epattern

      Four Patch Hearts Pattern and Epattern

      Kaye's Coming To Grand Rapids, MI!

      Be sure to sign up quickly for this fun event!

      You’ve seen Kaye strip her quilts on TV on Kaye’s Quilting Friends. Now watch her strip in person. Making quilts can be easier than you think with Kaye’s original techniques. Something for everyone—beginner to more advanced. For pointless or pointed people!
      Lots of ideas for that next project!
      Learn to eliminate the slow-downs in quiltmaking.
      Kaye also shares some of the funny things that have happened to her on the road to quilting.
      Thursday May 28, 2009 Applause Banquets and Catering
      2728 Birchcrest SE 10 AM-3:30 PM
      Ticket Price: $35.00

      For more info go here: http://www.kayewood.com/seminar_pdfs/QKWW_05_09_MI.pdf

      Pinwheel Hearts Pattern and Epattern

      Tips From Kaye's Readers
      • Use clean empty pizza boxes to store quilt blocks until you are ready to assemble your quilt. Your local pizza parlors will generally give you one or two, or they may charge you a small amount for them. You can construct the boxes inside out. If you place a plastic sleeve on the outside end of the box, you can place a removable label in the sleeve with your project name for easy viewing. These boxes stack neatly and can be reused by just changing the removable labels.  Be sure to place a piece of cloth on the bottom of the box to prevent the pizza parlor advertising from transferring to your project.....Donna
      • A quick substitute for a sandpaper disc on a quilting ruler is a piece of clear plastic wrap applied to back of ruler.  Sometimes I use a single layer, other times a double later.  You can still read the markings.  The ruler will be nonslip.....Rose
      • I wash my new fabric and leave the washer lid open.  It washes but doesn't spin.  Then I take it outdoors (in a bucket or tub) and hang it on the clothesline in the back yard.  A stiff stream of water from the hose rinses and "irons" it.  I can fold the wrinkle free fabric and not really iron it until I use it.  And it smells so fresh.  Try a clothesline and use your solar dryer.  Saves money, too.....Sarah
      • Using spray starch after washing out the natural sizing......  I have been told by more than one national teacher that starch can draw bugs.  I wouldn't want to take a chance on it.....Sandy

      Have your own favorite tips? Send them to us here: terrye@...

      View and Do Shapes Technique DVD.
      Learn how to use all
      of the View & Do Shapes!

      Our readers show off their quilts!

      This is the quilt with two pillows I made for my Daughter - law. Her mother was there when I gave it to her. Our son had not yet married her. It was a get aquainted gift. She LOVES it!!  :  )....Latricia

      If you have a quilt or wallhanging you've made and would like us to see it, send us a picture, along with a 50 or so word description of what makes your project special! We've had lots of requests for patterns for these so if there was a particular pattern used, please let us know. Send to: terrye@...

      Website Spotlights - Join Our Community....

      In Our Forums This Week....

      Tumbling Blocks and Fat Quarters. Read the messages here....http://www.kayewood.com/forum/

      Kaye's Quilting Friends Discussion List

      This list, sponsored through YahooGroups is a lively, high volume list. Join the fun!

      Podcasts

      Join Kaye and her Quilting Friends with humorous and instructional podcasts.

      http://www.kayewood.com/blog/community/quilting-the-kaye-wood-way-podcasts/

      View all of our online videos 24/7 Free!

      To get an email when we put up a new video, click here:

      New On Our Site....

      Two by Two - On Our Way To The Ark Pattern and Epattern

      Back by popular demand....
      Kaye's View & Do
      TM Square Shape

      4 removable templates nest together to make this a must have tool for your sewing/craft room. Made of hard plastic suitable for rotary cutting, you can make 2, 4, 6, or 8 inch, square shapes. Great for sewing, quilting, scrapbooking or any craft.

      Pinwheel Squares Pattern and Epattern

      Go here for a complete listing of everything NEW on our site: http://www.kayewood.com/new

      How do you like our new format? If there's something in particular you feel we've left out, please email us and let us know. We strive to be the best newsletter in the quilting industry, but we can't do it without you! email comments to terrye@...

      Contact us:

      • Kaye Wood, Inc
      • PO Box 456
      • West Branch, MI 48661