Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, 3.12.09

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12, 2009
      Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter

      Kaye Wood's Quilting Newsletter

      March 12, 2009

      Home Page

      Access to all the goodies on the Kaye Wood website.

      http://www.kayewood.com

      Hey everyone! A Happy St. Patrick's Day, (early) to all! Don't forget to be wearing your green on Tuesday or you're apt to get a little pinch from someone! I am not Irish, at least not to my knowledge, but I do enjoy the camaraderie and spirituality, not to mention a wee bit of green refreshment in the past, to help celebrate this day. So in honor of the revered St. Patrick, here is an Irish blessing for you. Have a great week!

      Lucky stars above you, sunshine on your way.

      Many friends to love you, joy in work and play.

      Laughter to outweigh each care, in your heart a song.

      And gladness waiting everywhere, all your whole life long.

      Check This Out!

      It's Hip To Be Square

      A fantastic book from the series Becoming A Confident Quilter" from Debbie's Creative Moments.

      The technique that is the basis for this book begins with the premise that you have a stack of squares that are all the same size. When making scrappy quilts or any multiple fabric quilts, an efficient use of your time is to begin with pieces that are uniform in size and shape so you can stack them neatly and cut through layers, cutting many pieces at one time. Whether they are squares, strips (worms), fat quarters, fat eighths or any other size and shape, you will find that working with a group of fabrics that are uniform in size, will get you well on your way to creating your next scrappy quilt. So let's get started with squares. With Debbie's books, you will not only make the projects, but she has designed them in a way for you to have complete understanding of the way you do it. While there are patterns for several projects in every book, the intent of these patterns is to show you how to apply what you have learned. By the time you finish, Debbie will have given you the tools and confidence to make the quilts you want to make, not just how to read a pattern and duplicate a quilt that someone else has designed. Click the link for more info about this book.

      http://www.kayewood.com/new

      Here are a few of the quilts included in this book.

      What's On Sale

      Buy any 2 Lazy Girl patterns and get a third one of equal or lesser value FREE!

      Joan Hawley of Lazy Girl Designs has it going on when it comes to bags and accessories! Joan's popular patterns are always stylish, fun and so easy to make. Special tips included with your pattern are sure to make your project a success! Plus, for the next week when you purchase 2 of these patterns, you can pick a third of equal or lesser value for FREE! Quite the deal, but it won't last for long, so order yours today! To see all of Joan's patterns, just click the link and enter Joan Hawley in the search box.

      All prices will be adjusted in our office at the time of processing!

      http://www.kayewood.com

      Monthly Sale

      Strip Quilting Books #2 thru #8 for $3 apiece!

      Here is a great special at the lowest price you will find all year. Starting this week and running thru the whole month of March, you can get Kaye's own Strip Quilting books, numbered 2 thru 8 for $3 apiece! These are fantastic books, filled with information and patterns you will want to have. They won't be on sale like this for a long time to come, so take advantage of this great special!

      Just click the link for the books on sale and their descriptions.

      http://www.kayewood.com/sale

      Kaye Wood's Lecture/Demo/Trunk Show is coming to Cincinnati, Ohio!

      Sunday, April 19, 2009

      2:00 - 5:00 PM

      Cincinnati Mills Mall

      Ticket Price: $20.00

      Now is your chance to meet and hang out with your favorite quilting personality, Kaye Wood! Join Kaye as she shows you her tips and techniques that make quilting fun and easy. It doesn't matter if you are a beginner or more advanced, Kaye offers something for everyone and promises to keep you in stitches with her funny stories about life on the quilting road! Space is limited so reserve your spot now by clicking here

      We want your tips!

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear about them. Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below and it will find a place in our newsletter!

      mailto:joyce@...?subject=sharewithus

      1) Empty Pringles cans are very useful for storing long objects such as knitting needles, afghan crochet hooks, small width art brushes, long narrow shears, etc. Smaller Pringles cans are great to keep things like point turners, 6 inch rulers and other things that we use in our sewing. Decorate with your own fabric and you will have a one of a kind container that will keep such objects orderly so that you know where they are when you need them. Also great for travel when you want to work on a project away from home. Joanne K.

      2) My tip is for anyone who has trouble when threading invisible thread through the eye of a sewing machine needle. Even using the needle threader and getting the invisible thread in the loop. I use Handicap sewing machine needles. These are brilliant! Just add on the needle and then thread your machine until you come to the eye of the needle and you only have to slide the thread down one side of the needle until it clicks into the eye! What bliss, no more growling or hair pulling! Hope this will help a lot of us with sight problems. Moray P.

      3) When I have to clean the inside of my sewing machine, I use my bicycle tire pump to blow out the dust and grime. I have been doing this for a while now and it seems to work very well. Melinda S.

      Message from Kaye!

      Hey everyone, did you attend the recent show in Puyallup, WA? Well if you did, we want your feedback about anything concerning the show. Your opinion counts and the more we hear from you, the better show we can put on. Below are a few questions to check out and respond to, but feel free to write us about anything pertaining to the show. Please submit your responses to the e-mail address below.

      RitaFar@...

      Did you attend the special events such as the evening program with Mark Lipinski, the comedian quilter and the Red Fashion Show? If you did attend these special events, did you enjoy them and would you attend them again at some time? Were the venders and their products to your liking? Was the show as a whole to your liking? Is there anything that you would change or would like to be added to this show? Any constructive criticism, suggestions or praise would be helpful, so please let us know.

      Podcasts are here!

      Did you know that Kaye has started podcasts? If you're not sure what they are, let me explain. Podcasts are 10-20 minute interviews with Kaye or a guest talking about the thing you love best....quilting of course! Just click the link to get to the first episode of Kaye discussing, Quilting the Kaye Wood Way.

      http://www.kayewood.com/blog/2009/01/quilting-the-kaye-wood-way-episode-1-podcast/

      Take a look at KayeWoodTV.com!

      Have a quilting obsession? Get your fix here for FREE all day, every day! We now have 63 clips/programs available for your viewing pleasure, absolutely FREE! Also, don't forget to view one of our newest features called, "Kaye Wood Quick Tips! Join Kaye as she shows you some of her tricks of the trade online right now! Just log in and check us out!

      http://www.kayewoodtv.com

      FYI...Programs are best viewed with a high speed internet connection.

      If you have any questions or special requests for programs you would like to see on KayeWoodTV.com, drop an e-mail to Kathleen at the following address.

      mailto:kathleen@...?subject=showrequests

      Be sure to visit KayeWoodTV.com for new and exciting tips from the Sulky design team. Innovative and always creative, you definitely won't want to miss what they have in store for you this week.

      Don't forget to catch Kaye's Quilting Friends on these select Ohio stations, every Tuesday @ 2:00 PM.

      WGCT TV 8***WXCB TV 42/Time Warner Ch. 3***WOCB-LP TV 48***WOCB TV 39/Time Warner Ch. 20

      Updates on Quilting The Kaye Wood Way Teacher Certification classes.

      March 23, 2009

      Sun City, AZ at the home of Kaye Wood.

      Seats are still available for this newly added class.

      Call Kaye Wood at 623-974-6898 to sign up.

      March 25, 2009

      Sun City, AZ at the home of Kaye Wood.

      This class is currently filled.

      April 18, 2009

      Cincinnati Mills Mall

      To sign up for this class or for additional info, please call Kathleen at

      (989)345-3028 or e-mail her at the following address.

      mailto:kathleen@...?subject=teachercertification

      May 1, 2009

      Sew & Sew Quilts & Fabrics

      36360 CO Rd. MM

      Stanley, WI

      715-644-5563

      This class is being taught by one of Kaye's certified teachers, Sherry Root!

      April 3, 2009 from 10 am till 3 pm.

      Learn Kaye's Stacking My Block pattern technique from Sherry here:

      Quilter's Quarters and Bernina Too!

      51 N. Verde Heights Dr.

      Cottonwood, AZ 86326

      (928)634-8161 or e-mail Sherry here:

      www.quiltersquartersaz.com or qquarters@...

      Show & Tell

      Here is a beautiful quilt from one of our readers. Thanks to all of you that submit and share your quilts and stories.

      I like 5 sided quilts. They are easy and people sure do like them! Pat

      If you'd like to check out more wonderful quilts and quilted items made by our readers, go to our Show & Tell page.

      http://www.kayewood.com/blog/community/show-and-tell/

      You can also mail a non-returnable picture along with your story to the following address.

      Kaye Wood c/o Show & Tell

      Did You Know?

      I had someone write to me recently asking about something I ran long ago called, Color Psychology. I couldn't find the original article I had, but I did find facts relating to this subject, that I hope are pretty close to what I had in the past. Basically it's how people react to different colors that they view. As relating to quilting, you can appreciate how different colors automatically catch your eye, but do you think about how they can make you feel? Here's probably more than you ever wanted to know about the subject!

      Color Psychology

      Green-Is the easiest color on the eye and can improve vision. Has many symbolic meanings, but the strongest and most universal is nature. It also signifies life, youth, hope, renewal and vigor. Is a calming color and has a neutral effect on the human nervous system. They have green rooms for people to wait in who are going to appear on TV, so they stay relaxed. This is also why is is used a lot in hospitals. In American culture, green represents money. Various shades of green have different symbolic meanings. Dark green implies wealth, is cool, conservative and masculine. Emerald green symbolizes immortality. Olive green is the color of peace. Yellow-green is the least preferred color of consumers.

      Orange-Is the color most associated with appetite. Also relates to warmth, contentment, fruitfulness and wholesomeness. It looks strong and generous and has a broad appeal. It can be used to indicate that a product is suitable for everyone and can make an expensive product seem more affordable.

      Black-Is a controversial color. Some relate to it as sturdiness and reliability. Others relate to it in a darker way such as witches and the occult. It speaks with authority and power but also represents despair and mourning. People choose to wear black clothing for many reasons. Some feel it is more formal and powerful, but also can be depicted as being stylish and sophisticated. Others choose black because it gives a slimmer appearance

      Would you like updates sent to your e-mail when a new show premiers? Join our list and you'll be the first in your crowd to receive a notice.

      Our catalog is available online, anytime, anywhere! Convenient shopping day or night.

      http://www.kayewood.com/category/Download_our_Catalog/c76

      List your event

      If you have an upcoming event or show you'd like to post on our events page, just click the link.

      Access to all of the goodies on our Kaye Wood website.

      http://www.kayewood.com

      Talk to Mary Kaeser about the LoveQuilt Connection

      cquiltcinc05@...

      Kaye Wood Forum

      Post questions, check the message board, make a new friend, the forum has it all.

      http://www.kayewood.com/forum/

      Ad Swap-FindAQuiltTeacher.com

      Where can you find Kaye Wood? She's here, there and everywhere, but she's also on FindAQuiltTeacher.com. Do you teach quilting? Get listed on this new web page that helps teachers connect with those that hire them.

      http://www.FindAQuiltTeacher.com

      Would you like to make it easier for your guild to bring in great speakers like Kaye? Tell your program chair about our site. They can find information about local, regional, national and international teachers all in one place. Each teacher has her/his own web page with a photo, home town, a list of their specialities, the types of presentations they offer, a biography and sometimes even testimonials from students and others. For just $15 a year, (that's only $1.25 a month) your program chair can download a Teacher Fact Sheet for every teacher on the web site. You will save hours of time searching the Internet for the info they need, to bring teachers to your guild for exciting and informative programs. These fact sheets also have expanded contact info, fees and expenses, lodging requirements, contract preferences, experience and more. It's all in a standardized format and all on ONE PAGE for easy comparisons. Your program chair can create a reference book that will help your guild now and all year long. Check it out!

      http://www.findaquiltteacher.com

      Finale

      Well gang, I guess that's all for this week. Let us know if you need anything or if we can help you out in any way. >From all of us at Kaye Wood Inc., keep smiling, keep loving and above all...keep quilting!

      This message was sent to you because you previously indicated that you would like to receive announcements of new events and special promotions. To unsubscribe, click the link and send an e-mail to:

      mailto:terrye@...?subject=unsubhtml