Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, 1.13.09

  • Terrye Kinch, Kaye Wood, Inc.
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2009

      Kaye Wood's Quilting Newsletter

      January 13, 2009

      Home Page
      Access to all the goodies on the Kaye Wood website.
      http://www.kayewood.com

      Hey everyone, I heard from quite a few of you in response to my weather tirade! From Florida, Minnesota, South Carolina and even Oklahoma, I received sympathy, forecasts and even invitations to get out of this nasty mess for a while! (if only I could) I just want to say thank you for your responses, I do appreciate them.

      I had a little mishap at my house this morning to tell you about. I drive an older Olds that's not very pretty, but fairly reliable and comes with an auto start called my daughter. She does this every morning in fairly good humor, resolved to the fact that she can't get out of it if she wants to get to school on time, so she starts the car. This morning I could hear her outside pounding, talking to herself and I knew something was wrong. My doors have been known to freeze up in the past, so I was sure that was the problem. I opened my window ready to give advice before braving the cold myself to help, and there she was spraying around my door with de-icer and prying around it with a huge, long screwdriver! Now this really didn't distress me all that much as you can't really hurt the look of this car and the de-icer was a good call on her part. I watched her struggle a couple of seconds as she finally gave a frustrated yell and threw the screwdriver into a snow bank. I politely asked her if she was having a problem and she looked at me like she was ready to kill, and started off with her own tirade of stupid cars, stupid weather, etc. When she was finally done, I asked her if she was sure the car was even unlocked. This brought me another look that told me I was nuts, because we normally don't lock the car, but around my house...you just never know. So to humor me she put the key in the lock and turned. Low and behold I heard that door unlock and she opened it right up. The look I got this time was truly priceless, but I figured I pushed my car starter far enough for one day and just quietly shut my window. Sometimes the best lessons given are the ones you don't even plan. Have a great week everyone!

      Check This Out!

      We're cleaning off the shelves and they're going fast!

      Snow Happy Together---Snow Belles---Sewing Machine Cover

      These are the Check This Out patterns we have left to offer in our inventory. There are limited amounts of each so when they're gone, they're gone. Order now to get them while supplies last!
      http://www.kayewood.com/new

      Last week to save s/h on this pattern.

      99 cent s/h on Love Letters Quilt Pattern.
      $1.99 s/h for all international orders.

      This unique and lovely envelope quilt is the perfect way to convey how you feel. Whether it be treats, fond memorabilia or your own personal messages, fill the envelopes with your favorites! Fat quarter friendly, Love Letters can be made in 3 different sizes, all included in this pattern with full instructions and supply lists. Use your imagination and choose a fabric to make it your own such as: a baby quilt with cute little surprises, racing car fabric with little Hot Wheels in each envelope, sweet treats fabric with little candies as a surprise, or fish fabric with lures in each envelope, the possibilities are endless! Sizes are as follows:

      48" x 48"/13 envelopes---35" x 35"/5 envelopes---14" x 48"/3 envelopes

      As an added bonus, you can see this project being done on KayeWoodTV.com right now, absolutely FREE!
      All shipping adjustments will be done at the time of processing.
      http://www.kayewood.com/sale

      Monthly sale!

      Buy the DVD of either Springtime Hearts or Hearts In Bloom and get the pattern FREE!

      That's right, for each DVD you order you save $8 by getting the pattern for FREE! With Valentine's Day just around the corner, now is the perfect time to be thinking hearts! Read on for more info about these two awesome patterns!

      Springtime is here all year round with this wonderful pattern, so put those florals to good use! Fussy cut your floral hearts and then frame them with the larger, solid colored hearts. Applique the hearts to a background block and there you have it! Pattern comes with full instructions that include two different tips for applique and complete binding directions for mitered corners. Uses Kaye's View & Do™ Heart Shape (sold separately).
      Sizes: Wallhanging, Twin, Double, King

      With this fun and easy pattern, you make four heart sizes which are layered and appliqued to a background square. The flowers bloom when the heart blocks are sewn together. Uses Kaye's View & Do™ Heart Shape and EZ Under (sold separately).
      Sizes: Wallhanging, Twin, Double, King
      http://www.kayewood.com/sale

      Take a look at KayeWoodTV.com!

      Check out our new player on KayeWoodTV.com!

      Now even more easier and fun ways to view your favorite quilting show! Also, don't forget to view our great feature called Kaye Wood Quick Tips! Join Kaye as she shows you some of her "tricks of the trade" online right now for FREE!
      http://www.kayewoodtv.com

      We now have 63 clips/programs available for your viewing pleasure, absolutely FREE! Projects are available for quilters and sewers of all skill levels, so make sure you don't miss out, jump online and check out all of our shows!

      FYI...Programs are best viewed with a high speed internet connection.
      http://www.kayewoodtv.com

      Be sure to visit KayeWoodTV.com for new and exciting tips from the Sulky design team. Innovative and always creative, you definitely won't want to miss what they have in store for you this week.

      Kaye's Quilting Friends is coming to select Ohio stations!

      That's right, starting this week Kaye's 2200 series is being shown in Ohio! Now you can enjoy Kaye in your home every week! Read on for channels and times!

      Time: Tuesday @ 2:00 pm

      Broadcast areas include:

      *Columbus, OH-WGCT TV 8
      *Delaware, OH-WXCB TV 42 (Time Warner Channel 3)
      *Kenton, OH-WOCB-LP TV 48
      *Marion, OH-WOCB TV 39 (Time Warner Channel 20)

      Don't miss out on all the fun and useful information, tune in on Tuesdays!

      We want your tips!

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear about them. Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below and it will find a place in our newsletter!

      mailto:joyce@...?subject=sharewithus

      1) A word of caution on using old sewing machine needles to put in the wall to hang things on--I've heard from several different sources that this shouldn't be done. The needles are made of a hardened steel and can break and hit someone in the eye when putting them in the wall. Eileen

      2) I have done apartment turning/maintenance for a long time and can attest to this being true. Do not use toothpaste in the walls as it will discolor over time. It eats through the wall and will show through any paint job that is done in the future. If you're going to fill the hole, go down to your local hardware store and buy some wall putty for a couple of dollars. Use that in the hole and then paint over it. This is the proper way to repair a wall. To hang quilts I will screw a hook into the wall. Then I will use a dowel rod in my quilt sleeves that have a circular hook screwed into the ends. Then I string rope from one side of the dowel rod to the other and use this to hang the wall hanging on the hook. This allows me to hang any size quilt and also helps preserve the quilt. Kenna of Utah

      3) Buy Press and Seal Wrap at the grocery store and draw your quilting image from your stencil onto the top side of the seal, after you stick a good size square over your block. Then when you sew it on either side of your lines, you just pull it off and there is no residue. You will love this method for simple lines. Do not do feathers as your marking will get lost in the fabric and you can't get to it to rip it out. This is a wonderful method whether you're experienced or not. Purchase some of the wooden shapes available at Michael's and JoAnn's. They make them to paint and I have 25 or more different shapes. They really add a cute design to kids quilts. I have one that is a binky and another that is a baby bottle. They are very cute for a baby quilt, tone on tone, with alternating quilt blocks. Virginia

      4) I want to bless whoever sent in the tip to use colored nail polish on invisible thread to make it easier to thread the sewing machine needle. I would like to add that I found the tendency for the thread to form curly-cues, also made it difficult for me to see. I now clip a clothespin to the invisible thread before cutting and that weight keeps the thread straight. It can be removed as soon as the needle is inserted for a new seam. Joan H.

      The LoveQuilt™ Connection is coming to Puyallup, WA!

      When you come to enjoy the Sewing and Stitchery Expo, don't forget to pencil in some time for the LoveQuilt™!

      The LoveQuilt™ Connection is an event taken to National Quilt and Sewing events, to promote community charity work through quilting. At the event, a coordinator works with volunteers to make the 6 Hour Quilt created by Kaye Wood. At the end of the event a charity chosen in advance, sends a representative to receive the quilts. They in turn distribute them to individuals in need. Our mission is to have as many people as possible to learn the technique, so they in turn could, "pay it forward" by teaching it to others. Over 2500 quilts have been made and lovingly given since the program was first introduced in 1993. Many quilters have in turn sponsored events in their own community.

      At this event YLI, Igolochkoy, Mt. Mist, P & B Textiles, Clover and Janome have donated supplies to make the 6 Hour Quilts. Our goal is to make 45-60 quilts to be donated to the Crystal Judson Family Justice Center in Tacoma, WA. So please come and join us. A tiny bit of your donated time to stitch on a quilt, can be so beneficial to someone who needs a little love.

      Event-LoveQuilt™ Connection
      Where-Centennial Tent of the Sewing and Stitchery Expo
      When-February 26-28, 2009
      Time-9:00 am-5:00 pm

      Kaye is coming to Arizona, have you reserved your spot yet?

      Two separate locations, two times the fun with Kaye and her Lecture/Demo/Trunk Show!
       El Mirage, AZ
      Monday, February 2, 2009
      Pueblo El Mirage RV and Golf Resort
      Reserve your spot by calling 1-800-248-5293 or click the provided link.
      http://www.kayewood.com/item/Kaye_Wood_s_El_Mirage_Arizona_Seminar/563

      Mesa, AZ
      Wednesday, February 4, 2009
      Windemere Hotel and Conference Center
      Reserve your spot by calling 1-800-248-5293 or click the provided link.
      http://www.kayewood.com/item/Kaye_Wood_s_Mesa_Arizona_Seminar/563

      We have 3 new certified teachers!

      Greetings from sunny Arizona! I'm happy to introduce you to 3 of my newest certified teachers.
      Mary K., Sun City, AZ***Sharon V., Peoria, AZ***Dottie W., Mesa, AZ
      Watch upcoming newsletters for dates and times of their teaching schedules.

      Sign up for the Trees With Ease Class with teacher Dottie W. at the Fashion Fabrics shop!
      When-Monday, March 2, 2009
      Where-Fashion Fabrics
      9849 E. Apache Tr.
      Mesa, AZ 8507
      Please call (480)986-3243 to sign up or for additional information.

      Are you interested in becoming a "Quilting the Kaye Wood Way" Certified Teacher?

      Our next "Quilting The Kaye Wood Way" Teacher Certification class will be held in Cincinnati, Ohio.
      When-Saturday, April 18, 2009
      Where-Cincinnati Mills Mall

      I would love to include you in this group of elite teachers, so together we can share my original techniques to make quilting easier and more enjoyable. To sign up or for additional information please call Kathleen at (989)345-3028 or e-mail her at the following address.
      mailto:kathleen@...?subject=teachercertification

      Show & Tell

       Here is a beautiful quilt from one of our readers. Thanks to all of you that submit and share your quilts and stories.

      Here is a picture of the quilt I just finished for my great-granddaughter. I couldn't resist the butterflies. Joan H.

      If you'd like to check out even more wonderful quilts made by our readers, go to our Show & Tell page.
      http://www.kayewood.com/blog/community/show-and-tell/

      You can also mail a non-returnable picture along with your story to the following address.

      Kaye Wood c/o Show & Tell

      Would you like updates sent to your e-mail when a new show premiers? Join our list and you'll be the first in your crowd to receive a notice.

      Our catalog is available online, anytime, anywhere! Convenient shopping day or night. http://www.kayewood.com/category/Download_our_Catalog/c76

      List your event
      If you have an upcoming event or show you'd like to post on our events page, just click the link.

      Access to all of the goodies on our Kaye Wood website.
      http://www.kayewood.com

      Talk to Mary Kaeser about the LoveQuilt Connection
      cquiltcinc05@...

      Kaye Wood Forum
      Post questions, check the message board, make a new friend, the forum has it all.
      http://www.kayewood.com/forum/

      Finale

      Well gang, I guess that's all for this week. Let us know if you need anything or if we can help you out in any way. From all of us at Kaye Wood Inc., keep smiling, keep loving and above all...keep quilting!

      This message was sent to you because you previously indicated that you would like to receive announcements of new events and special promotions. To unsubscribe, click the link and send an e-mail to:
      mailto:terrye@...?subject=unsubhtml