Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Nov. 4. 2008

  • Terrye Kinch, Kaye Wood, Inc.
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2008

      November 4, 2008

      Home Page

      Access to all the goodies on the Kaye Wood website.

      http://www.kayewood.com

      The beautiful splendor of fall is now behind us as October ends and November starts. The only color in our yard now is Bob the inflatable turkey! November really gets kind of a bad rap here because it is the start of shorter days, dreary landscape and soon to come cold and snow! Although the next few days we're supposed to have kind of a heat wave with unusual temps in the 60's. Oh well, there is no sense dwelling on what you can't change so I guess we'll just enjoy the upcoming days and worry about the rest when it gets here. Spring can't be that far away, can it?

      Don't forget to vote today!

      Make sure to check out the Early Bird Christmas Sale starting Wednesday, Nov. 5th.

      Check This Out!

       From our good friend Margie Engel we have Angelsong!

      Just in time for the upcoming holidays, these eye-catching angel appliques make this 24" x 30" banner very quick and easy to make, but also lovely to look at. Few fabrics are required for the angel appliques, which can be hand or machine stitched. Easy to do because the stitching, embellishing and quilting are all done in one step. (Bead lovers, this would be a great pallet for all kinds of embellishments!) Get this pattern in time to make a bunch before the holidays for a gift that is sure to impress all of your friends and family! Everyone from a beloved teacher to the ladies in your quilt group, would love to have this banner hanging on their wall! (But don't forget to include one for yourself!) Available for a short time only so click the link for additional info and to order.

      http://www.kayewood.com/new

      New Sale

      Last week to get your 20% off the Just Country Pattern by Brandy!

      For a colorful, easy to do quilt, check out the Just Country Pattern, aka Crazy Strippin! This pattern is so much fun, you will just love it! No extra tools to buy, the acrylic templates are included with this pattern, so you can make blocks in 4, 6, 9 and 12 inches. Plus, you will receive instructions for 4 different quilt sizes, wallhanging, baby, twin and queen. These quilt sizes can easily be adapted to be as small or large as you desire, by using fewer or more blocks. A detailed supply list is provided for each quilt size, along with a FREE Brandy's key chain! Order within the next week for your 20% discount on this pattern/tool set.

      http://www.kayewood.com/sale

      Monthly Sale

      We have a brand new monthly sale for you!

      99 cent s/h on this great Sewing Machine Cover by Lazy Girl Designs when shipped in the US.

      $1.99 s/h for all international orders.

      Sewing machines are a big investment and for everyday maintenance, you should keep them covered. To help with this we have a beautiful, quilted sewing machine cover you will love! The finished size is 17" x 11" x 8" for a roomy fit that will work on even your larger home sewing machines! Plus, this cover has an added feature that leaves the bottom side seams open, to allow a better fit over your sewing machine bases. Easy to make, use your favorite colors to match your sewing room decor. This cover would be a great and thoughtful gift for any of your quilting and sewing friends.

      http://www.kayewood.com/sale

      Take a look at KayeWoodTV.com!

      Check out our new feature called Kaye Wood Quick Tips!

      Join Kaye each week as she shows you how to do a new FREE tip or technique online. This week Kaye shows you how to add extra pizzazz to your quilt by making pointed fan blades. You can view that by clicking the link below.

      http://www.kayewoodtv.com

      We now have 42 programs available for your viewing pleasure, absolutely FREE! New projects available for quilters and sewers of all skill levels, don't miss out on the fun!

      FYI...Programs are viewed best with a high speed internet connection.

      http://www.kayewoodtv.com

      Be sure to visit KayeWoodTV.com for new and exciting tips from the Sulky design team. Innovative and always creative, you definitely won't want to miss what they have in store for you this week.

      http://www.kayewoodtv.com

      The Early Bird Christmas Sale starts tomorrow!!!

      After the popular response we've had in past years, we're doing it again...our Early Bird Christmas sales running the whole month of November! This year there will be tons of special buys, prize giveaways and lots of fun! So make sure you're checking your newsletter each week for up to the moment details you won't want to miss out on! Here is some more info on how it all works.

      On everyTuesday you will receive our regular newsletter with it's usual 2 week sale, monthly sale and all of our other normal features. Then on Wednesday you will receive just a note, telling you what the first item of our Early Bird Christmas sale will be. Now don't panic, it will not be a whole newsletter again, just a small note telling about the sale item available. You will have till the following Wednesday to order this item at the sale price. Then on Friday you will once again receive a short note telling you about another sale item that will be available to you till the following Friday. This will happen every week in November! So let's recap these special days. Tuesday will be our regular newsletter with it's usual features and great specials, that will run the way they always do. Then on every Wednesday and Friday during November, you will receive a short note of an additional, new sale item, that will run for only 1 week. That makes 4 great sales available to you each week in November! I can't tell you ahead of time what they will be, but I can say there are always some great buys you won't want to miss out on, and some new products you will want to see, so make sure you check them out! Plus, every Friday a newsletter subscriber will be drawn at random to win a great prize! There will also be other chances throughout our sales to win fun prizes. Great sales, great giveaways, it just doesn't get any better than this! So don't delete those e-mails until you check the sale item out. With our Early Bird Christmas sales, you have plenty of time to shop and still get a project done, so get in the spirit!

      We want your tips!

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear about them. Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below and it will find a place in our newsletter!

      mailto:joyce@...?subject=sharewithus

      1) Here is a favorite tip. Before I pre-wash my fabric I serge the edges, but also use safety pins to pin the yardage to itself. All I do is fold it in half and then pin around three sides. This keeps the yardage from twisting on itself and comes out of the dryer wrinkle free. I never wash without doing this, it saves me a lot of ironing time. Alice L.

      2) When I prewash fabric yardage, I just sew a seam up each raw edge with the fabric still folded in half from the store. That means 2 approximately 22 inch seams per piece. Stops the raveling. Lynda T.

      3) My tip is don't get discouraged. There are many wonderful quilt artists like Kaye willing to help you for no cost but your time. But most important is to buy at least one of Kaye's books. The instructions are clear and concise and the print and diagrams are large and colorful. Look for inspiration in these books. If you don't understand the first time you read it, put it down. Look for something simple and enjoyable, but come back to any UFO's you have and continue to learn from them. Don't forget to reread your book as many times as needed before you cut your fabric, and try it on some cheap scrap. Start small and work your way up to twin and full size quilts. Also, don't give up if it looks funny and you see mistakes, as these are the ones you learn from. Fabric is precious, so buy cheap and practice. Save your favorite fabric until you have planned and really feel comfortable and ready to commit. Kaye also has a wonderful quilting guide that teaches stars, flying geese and other things in addition to her video clips. I have been quilting for 2 years and have only finished a handful of items, but isn't it great to be so inspired? Don't expect instant gratification, have fun and be proud to finish anything. I have to go, it's time to watch Kaye on TV! Jacqueline G.

      Kaye Wood is back for another performance in West Branch, MI!!!

      Time is running out to sign up for this great event!

      Hey everyone, we're giving you a heads up on how to spend your hunting season this year...in beautiful West Branch, MI at the Kaye Wood Seminar! Yes, Kaye is coming back to show you her beautiful new quilts and what it takes to make them, plus update you on past tips and techniques to make your quilting experience that much easier. This would be a fabulous way to spend your day, learning about your favorite craft from the teacher you love! Lunch will be included with a beautiful soup/salad and sandwich buffet. Great food, great fun and great friends make this a wonderful event you won't want to miss! Just click on the link for more info and/or to sign up.

      http://www.kayewood.com/item/West_Branch_Michigan_Seminar/559

      Kaye Wood Seminar

      Quality Inn, West Branch, MI

      Saturday, November 15th, 2008

      Space is limited so reserve your spot now!

      To help celebrate the start of our Early Bird Christmas Sale, here is a word find for you!

      Below there are 22 quilting words for you to find. After you find all of the words, there will be a hidden phrase made out of the left over letters. The phrase has 5 words and a total of 20 letters. The letters are in order to spell out the phrase, but you have to eliminate the letters you don't need to find the hidden words. Last year for example, one of our hidden phrases were, "Kaye Wood rocks". When you find the hidden phrase, e-mail me your answer. The first 15 people with the correct answer, will receive a fun prize!

      mailto:joyce@...?subject=wordfind

      charm
      scrappy
      crazy quilt
      wedding ring
      baby bunting
      California Rose
      bargello
      rag quilt
      trapunto
      log cabin
      blazing star
      rulers
      turkey tracks
      cupids own
      bearspaw
      shoofly
      Bethlehem Star
      bowtie
      honeybee
      Garden of Eden
      Ohio Star
      melon patch

      Show & Tell

      Here is a beautiful quilt from one of our readers. Thanks to all of you that submit and share your quilts and stories.

      After a year of watching Kaye's Quilting Friends and other quilt shows, I just HAD to try my hand at quilting. Here's a picture of my first quilt. I made it for a friends little girl for Christmas this year and it was a fun learning experience! I wanted to start out with something simple, so the 4-patch was it. I alternated it with a plain square and then framed it with sashing. It's backed with fleece in pretty pastel colors. I used a fancy stitch to then outline around the edge as I just sewed and turned it inside out. I found a cute ice cream cone fabric, so I ironed on interfacing, embroidered a cute tag, cut it out and hand stitched it to the back. Diana

      If you'd like to check out even more wonderful quilts made by our readers, go to our Show & Tell page.

      If you'd like to submit your quilt to our Show & tell page, just e-mail your picture and story, 50 words or less please, to Terrye at the following e-mail address.

      mailto:terrye@...?subject=show_n_tell

      You can also mail a non-returnable picture along with your story to the following address.

      Kaye Wood c/o Show & Tell

      A new cruise is in the works!

      Plan on taking a LoveQuilt™ Charity Cruise with Kaye Wood!

      What can be better than cruising the open seas and helping those in need at the same time? As you cruise, you can help make 6 Hour Quilts during a quilt-a-thon on board the ship. All completed quilts will be donated to a worthy charity to help those who need a little extra love. Our quilting group will learn how to make these quilts and will then "pay it forward" by inviting non-quilting cruisers on board, to join us in making even more quilts! Our goal will be 60 finished quilts by the end of the cruise. Here are more details.

      Event-LoveQuilt™ Charity Cruise

      Date-June 6 thru June 13, 2009

      Ship-Carnival Liberty

      Price-$999 per person

      Ports of call-Miami, Half Moon Cay, Bahamas, St. Thomas, San Juan, Puerto Rico and Grand Turk

      To reserve your cabin call, 1-800-288-6006, Ext. 77317

      For additional info call, 1-800-248-5293 or go to http://www.kayewood.com/tips/cruise_2009_.pdf

      Words of wisdom

      "Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm." Sir Winston Churchill

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)