Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, 10.21.08

  • Terrye Kinch, Kaye Wood, Inc.
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 21, 2008

      October 21, 2008

      Home Page

      Access to all the goodies on the Kaye Wood website.

      http://www.kayewood.com

      Hey everyone! As you can see by my pics I'm gearing up for the approaching Halloween festivities! This year however, I am more than a little sad as my daughter has decided she is too old to "trick or treat" this year. That's great for her, but now what am I supposed to do on Halloween night? For well over ten years we have walked the streets of our town in search of goodies, and just like that she says it's over? There must be a law against this type of thing! I am the parent afterall, I should have a tiny bit of control over the matter! The next thing you know she'll be telling me there's no Santa or the Easter Bunny is a fraud! It's all very sad and I knew this day would come, I was just hoping for a little more time! But the worst part of it all is realizing that this portion of our lives is done. No longer will I have the beautiful little girl that held my hand so lovingly and hugged me so tight I thought she'd never let go! Gone is the flower picking, pig tail wearing little munchkin that made my day with just a smile. Looking back on these memories I can't help but shed a tear or two for the little girl who used to be. In such a short time she has been replaced by a beautiful, smart and confident young lady, that is too old for such kid things as "trick or treat". Sadly it's the end of this chapter but as I look at my daughter with pride, I realize it's just the beginning of the book. Have a great week!

      Check This Out!

      From Details by Diane look at these wonderful Snowmen table runners!

      Just in time for the winter season, these adorable Snowmen are sure to put a smile on your face! The snowmen are fuzzy because they are made from white quilt batting and their scarves with their 3-D fringe, look as if they are ready to blow in the breeze! Both projects are in one pattern so it doesn't matter what size your table is. Full size traceable pattern sheets are included, so you can trace, cut and fuse colorful fabric pieces onto a black fabric background. Round runner measures 27-1/2" and the table runner measures 16-1/2" x 33-1/4". Available for a short time, so order yours today! Click the link for more info on this pattern.

      http://www.kayewood.com/new

      Sale

      99 cent s/h on the Shattered Crystals pattern.

      $1.99 s/h for international orders.

      If you have ever been intimidated by paper piecing, now is the time to try again. This many faceted 32" x 32" quilt has easy to follow, detailed instructions on how to do this unique pattern. All of the paper foundations are included with the pattern, along with tips throughout, to help make your quilting experience go smoothly. The blue fabrics that were used give a cool, winter like appeal but try your favorite colors to match your decor or whimsy. Plus, it's quite a steal with a shipping discount for the next week.

      http://www.kayewood.com/sale

      Monthly Sale

      Take advantage of our truckload sale on Everyone Can Quilt...$15 plus s/h!

      This is a must have book for any quilter! Kaye truly believes everyone can quilt and she doesn't hesitate to show you how! From beginner to expert, pointed or pointless, this book has something for everyone. With over 24 unique patterns from pot holders to bed quilts, Kaye shows you how to do it quick and easy. Great time saving tips and techniques, easy to follow instructions and paper templates (included), gives you all the things you need to make your quilting dream a reality! Beautiful color pictures of Kaye's work are included to help inspire you along with humourous stories of Kaye's adventures in quilting, told only as Kaye can, will give you a chuckle as you quilt! This is a great price for this book with a savings to you of over $7, so buy one for yourself and also for a friend. Makes a great quilting gift for anyone!

      http://www.kayewood.com/sale

      A traditional FREE project for you!

      We are proud to once again offer you this special free project, designed and sewn by Kaye Wood. Kaye made this pillow out of soft flannels to help bring a bit of comfort to breast cancer patients. Please click the link below for the free pattern instructions.

      http://www.kayewood.com/tips/breast_cancer_pillow.pdf

      Take a look at KayeWoodTV.com!

      Check out our new feature called Kaye Wood Quick Tips!

      Join Kaye each week as she shows you how to do a new FREE tip or technique online. This week Kaye makes a wonderful quilt binding from start to finish with her perfect mitered corners technique. You can view that by clicking the link below.

      http://www.kayewoodtv.com

      After you watch Kaye, please feel free to print out the FREE PDF instructions of this technique at the following link.

      http://www.kayewood.com/tips/bindings.pdf

      We now have 42 programs available for your viewing pleasure, absolutely FREE! New projects available for quilters and sewers of all skill levels, don't miss out on the fun!

      FYI...Programs are viewed best with a high speed internet connection.

      http://www.kayewoodtv.com

      Be sure to visit KayeWoodTV.com for new and exciting tips from the Sulky design team. Innovative and always creative, you definitely won't want to miss what they have in store for you this week.

      http://www.kayewoodtv.com

      Special Announcement...Special Announcement...Special Announcement...Special Announcement...Special Announcement...Special Announcement...Special Announcement...Special Announcement...Special Announcement...Special Announcement...Special Announcement...Special Announcement

      The Early Bird Christmas Sale is coming!!!

      After the popular response we've had in past years, we're doing it again...our Early Bird Christmas sales running the whole month of November! This year there will be tons of special buys, prize give-aways and lots of fun! So make sure you're checking your newsletter each week for up to the moment details you won't want to miss out on! Here is some more info on how it all works.

      On Tuesday, November 4th you will receive our regular newsletter with it's usual 2 week sale, new monthly sale and all of our other normal features. Then on Wednesday, November 5th you will receive just a note, telling you what the first item of our Early Bird Christmas sale will be. Now don't panic, it will not be a whole newsletter again, just a small note telling about the sale item available. You will have till the following Wednesday to order this item at the sale price. Then on Friday, November 7th you will once again receive a short note telling you about another sale item that will be available to you till the following Friday. This will happen every week in November! So let's recap these special days. Tuesday will be our regular newsletter with it's usual features and great specials, that will run the way they always do. Then on every Wednesday and Friday during November, you will receive a short note of an additional, new sale item, that will run for only 1 week. That makes 4 great sales available to you each week in November! I can't tell you ahead of time what they will be, but I can say there are always some great buys you won't want to miss out on, and some new products you will want to see, so make sure you check them out! Plus, every Friday a newsletter subscriber will be drawn at random to win a great prize! There will also be other chances throughout our sales to win fun prizes. Great sales, great give aways, it just doesn't get any better than this! So don't delete those e-mails until you check the sale item out. With our Early Bird Christmas sales, you have plenty of time to shop and still get a project done, so get in the spirit!

      We want your tips!

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear about them. Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below and it will find a place in our newsletter!

      mailto:joyce@...?subject=sharewithus

      1) I keep a small cutting mat on my ironing board along with my 28mm rotary cutter and a small rotary ruler. To keep the mat from sliding, I use a small piece of particle board. It also works great for marking small pieces of fabric, much better than sand paper. Next time I'm at the hardware store, I'm going to buy a large piece of particle board to put under my big cutting mat. Charlene

      2) I learned this tip from other quilters a long time ago and have somewhat expanded on it. I make a bracelet to fit my wrist using elastic and beads, and I slip it onto the cord of my irons. When I plug the cord in, the bracelet goes on my wrist and when I unplug it, I slip the bracelet back onto the cord. My "expansion" now includes one on anything that needs unplugging after use...say the toaster or coffee pot. I had a coffee pot with a timer and a coffee bean grinder built right in and it shorted out. FORTUNATELY, I just happened to be in the kitchen at the same time as it shorted out, otherwise all would have been lost, as I had been quilting in the basement and my husband was ill in bed! Mona P.

      3) My great grandsons live out of state and visit me each summer so I can teach them to sew. They are 8 and 9 years of age. To assist them in keeping a correct width seam, I cut through several layers of blue painters tape. I make the length to extend from the side of the presser foot and to the front edge of the machine. Several layers are cut so the tape is high enough to butt the edge of the seam against. The tape can be easily removed without a sticky reside and adhered to an open space on the machine. When the tape no longer sticks to the machine, I simply remove the bottom layer and it can be used over and over. The boys are so proud of their projects and even enter them into their county fair. Have a great day! Elsie J.

      Kaye Wood is back for another performance in West Branch, MI!!!

      Sign up now, spaces are filling up fast!

      Hey everyone, we're giving you a heads up on how to spend your hunting season this year...in beautiful West Branch, MI at the Kaye Wood Seminar! Yes, Kaye is coming back to show you her beautiful new quilts and what it takes to make them, plus update you on past tips and techniques to make your quilting experience that much easier. This would be a fabulous way to spend your day, learning about your favorite craft from the teacher you love! Lunch will be included with a beautiful soup/salad and sandwich buffet. Great food, great fun and great friends make this a wonderful event you won't want to miss! Just click on the link for more info and/or to sign up.

      http://www.kayewood.com/item/West_Branch_Michigan_Seminar/559

      Kaye Wood Seminar

      Quality Inn, West Branch, MI

      Saturday, November 15th, 2008

      Space is limited so reserve your spot now!

      Show & Tell

      Here is a beautiful quilt from one of our readers to view. Thanks to all of you that submit and share your quilts and stories.

      I made this 20" x 32" wall hanging for my friends 50th birthday surprise party. She LOVES the Wizard of Oz so much, her e-mail screen name reflects that. She also has a huge Oz collection, but no fabric item until this. I searched online for pics and combined a few to make my own pattern. The Emerald Castle has two shades and sizes of green sequins and the Yellow Brick Road is outlined in clear pearlized sequins. The picture doesn't do it justice! The sequins just sparkle and make the road and the castle POP! The shoes are made from metallic fabric, and the fabric from the mesh border is used to shade the inside of the shoes. The bows are tacked on and give it a wonderful 3-D look. I LOVED making this for her and she adores it! It is square, but the picture doesn't reflect that. Anne

      If you'd like to check out even more wonderful quilts made by our readers, go to our Show & Tell page.

      If you'd like to submit your quilt to our Show & tell page, just e-mail your picture and story, 50 words or less please, to Terrye at the following e-mail address.

      mailto:terrye@...?subject=show_n_tell

      You can also mail a non-returnable picture along with your story to the following address.

      Kaye Wood c/o Show & Tell

      A new cruise is in the works!

      Plan on taking a LoveQuilt™ Charity Cruise with Kaye Wood!

      What can be better than cruising the open seas and helping those in need at the same time? As you cruise, you can help make 6 Hour Quilts during a quilt-a-thon on board the ship. All completed quilts will be donated to a worthy charity to help those who need a little extra love. Our quilting group will learn how to make these quilts and will then "pay it forward" by inviting non-quilting cruisers on board, to join us in making even more quilts! Our goal will be 60 finished quilts by the end of the cruise. Here are more details.

      Event-LoveQuilt™ Charity Cruise

      Date-June 6 thru June 13, 2009

      Ship-Carnival Pride

      Price-$1151 per person

      Ports of call-Miami, Half Moon Cay, Bahamas, St. Thomas, San Juan, Puerto Rico and Grand Turk

      To reserve your cabin call, 1-800-288-6006, Ext. 77317

      For additional info call, 1-800-248-5293 or go to http://www.kayewood.com/tips/cruise_2009_.pdf

      Words of wisdom

      "To forgive and not to forget is like burying the hatchet with the handle sticking out." Unknown

      "Forgiveness means letting go of the past." Gerald Jampolsky

      "Anger makes you smaller, while forgiveness forces you to grow beyond what you were." Cherie Carter-Scott

      "There is no love without forgiveness and there is no forgiveness without love." Bryant H. McGill

      "There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness." Josh Billings

      Would you like updates sent to your e-mail when a new show premiers? Join our list and you'll be the first in your crowd to receive a notice.

      Our catalog is available online, anytime, anywhere! Convenient shopping day or night.

      http://www.kayewood.com/category/Download_our_Catalog/c76

      List your event

      If you have an upcoming event or show you'd like to post on our events page, just click the link.

      Access to all of the goodies on our Kaye Wood website.

      http://www.kayewood.com

      Talk to Mary Kaeser about the LoveQuilt Connection

      cquiltcinc05@...

      Kaye Wood Forum

      Post questions, check the message board, make a new friend, the forum has it all.

      http://www.kayewood.com/forum/

      Finale

      Well gang, I guess that's all for this week. Let us know if you need anything or if we can help you out in any way. From all of us at Kaye Wood Inc., keep smiling, keep loving and above all...keep quilting!

      9-5 Eastern Standard Time.

      Unsubscribe details:

      This message was sent to you because you previously indicated that you would like to receive announcements of new events and special promotions. To unsubscribe, click the link and send an e-mail to:

      mailto:terrye@...?subject=unsubhtml