Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, 9.23.08

  • Terrye Kinch, Kaye Wood, Inc.
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23, 2008
      Blank

      Kaye Wood's Quilting Newsletter

      September 23, 2008

      Home Page

      Access to all the goodies on the Kaye Wood website.

      http://www.kayewood.com

      Hey everyone! Happy autumn to you all! As I do at the beginning of fall every year, I'm reminding you that October is almost here and that means breast cancer awareness month. I'm sure everyone one of us knows someone that has dealt with this disease on some level, so don't delay, schedule your check up today. Early detection is a huge help in fighting this disease, so get to your doctor while it's fresh in your mind, and remind your friends and loved ones to do the same. We're all in this together and we have to fight together, so make that appointment. Below are a couple of links for more info and products that support finding a cure, so take a look.

      American Cancer Society Home Page

      http://www.cancer.org

      Buy Pink Ribbon Products

      http://www.pinkribbonshop.com

      We have a new website!

      Have you looked at our all new website yet? It made it's debut last week and it is wonderful! A whole new look with lots of things to see, so let us know what you think!

      Here is another of Kaye's latest patterns for you to check out, Pond Lilies. Mix and match colors as three circles are layered on each background square, creating the unique rippled 3D look. It comes together very easy with no curved piecing. Click the link for more info.

      http://www.kayewood.com/new

      Last week for this sale!

      Purchase any or all of our Sulky books and get $5 off each one!

      164 pages-40 projects Applique techniques include satin stitch, Herkey Jerky, Puffy Foam, drapable, trapunto and chenille, plus much, much more!

      160 pages-Over 12 different quilt blocks to piece and quilt, plus specialty quilts and how to use decorative threads. Techniques include machine quilting, embellishing, layering, appliqueing and quilt basting.

      168 pages-40 projects Everything you need to know about using Sulky threads to create beautiful embroidery by hand or machine.

      http://www.kayewood.com/sale

      Monthly Sale

      Buy any 1 of Kaye's patterns and get another for half price!

      Kaye has a total of 26 patterns now in her pattern line. For the next month whenever you buy one of Kaye's patterns, you can purchase another for half price. It's a great time to get that pattern you've had your eye on or maybe pick up one for a friend. Here is a list of the patterns, but you can view pictures of them all on our website.

      Stacking My Blocks***Morning Glory***A-Maze-Ing***Spinning Diamonds***Windmill***Morning Star***Blazing Stars***Twirling Star***Trees With Ease***Kaleidoscope***Dimensional Diamonds***Diamonds In Motion***Hearts In Bloom***Pinwheel Hearts***Candy Corn***Four Patch Hearts***Drunkard's Path***Diamonds Of Yellowstone***Springtime Hearts***Other Side Of The Fence***ABC Blocks***Pond Lilies***Roman Fountains***Shadow Hearts***Pineapple Play***Seasonal Wallhanging

      http://www.kayewood.com/sale

      Take a look at KayeWoodTV.com!

      Be sure to visit KayeWoodTV.com for new and exciting tips from the Sulky design team. Innovative and always creative, you definitely won't want to miss what they have in store for you this week. Click the link to view this now.

      http://www.kayewoodtv.com/ktvt.html

      After you've enjoyed the Sulky segments, watch all 42 of our programs available to you, absolutely FREE! You'll find lots of fun and new projects for quilters and sewers of all skill levels.

      FYI...Programs are viewed best with a high speed connection.

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear about them. Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below and it will find a place in our newsletter!

      mailto:joyce@...?subject=sharewithus

      1) Hello Kaye and friends! When I fly and want to be able to do hand work, I thread a whole package of needles onto the spool of thread I will be using. Then I put the needles back into the package they came in with the thread pulled through the eyes and knotted at the end, and rubber band the package to the spool. I can either use kids scissors or a dental floss cutter to cut a new length of thread, although I have had kids scissors taken away. In doing this I always have a needle threaded and ready, instead of trying to thread one in conditions that are not always good, with scissors that do not give a good cut. It is also easier to thread my needles at home when my eyes are fresh, than trying to do this after I have been sewing for a long while. So far I have never had a floss container taken away from me when flying, but they have taken my disc pendant cutter, a plastic crochet needle and small plastic knitting needles at different times. I find it depends on where and when you fly as to what will get taken and have learned the hard way, to never take anything I could not stand to lose. I hope this makes traveling easier for all. Happy quilting! Teena C.

      PS...I also do this when I am going on a car or bus trip. There never seems to be enough light even in bright sunlight, when you're in a vehicle.

      2) To all you left handers out there. When you have to hand sew something, whether it's putting a button back in place or hand quilting, there is a trick so the thread doesn't twist up. Put the thread into the needle while the thread is still attached to the spool. Pull out the amount of thread you need, working the needle up close to the spool, but do not cut it yet. Knot the end of the thread and cut the thread up at the spool. The needle will be at the opposite end of the thread you are used to working from, but for us that is the right end. No more twists while we are trying to sew! Just one voice

      3) I save all the scraps of fabric and batting I can get my hands on to make pet pillows. I give them as gifts to my friends with pets and have even donated some to a vet and the local Human Society. People always seem to be happy to get them and the animals seem to love them too. Charlene T.

      Kaye Wood is back for another performance in West Branch, MI!!!

      Hey everyone, we're giving you a heads up on how to spend your hunting season this year...in beautiful West Branch, MI at the Kaye Wood Seminar! Yes, Kaye is coming back to show you her beautiful new quilts and what it takes to make them, plus update you on past tips and techniques to make your quilting experience that much easier. This would be a fabulous way to spend your day, learning about your favorite craft from the teacher you love! Lunch will be included with a beautiful soup/salad and sandwich buffet. Great food, great fun and great friends make this a wonderful event you won't want to miss! Just click on the link for more info and/or to sign up.

      http://www.kayewood.com/item/West_Branch_Michigan_Seminar/559

      Kaye Wood Seminar

      Quality Inn, West Branch, MI

      Saturday, November 15th, 2008

      Space is limited so reserve your spot now!

      Show & Tell

      Here are some beautiful quilts from our readers to view. Thanks to all of you that submit and share your quilts and stories with us. I know everyone enjoys them as much as I do!

      I made these t-shirt quilts for my niece and nephew from Georgia. I had never made a t-shirt quilt before and I think they came out pretty awesome! Barb

      This quilt was a joint effort between my daughter Kerrie and myself. She was expecting a new baby girl and since I live clear across the United States from her, she sent me the fabric and e-mailed the design she wanted me to use. It was a fun project to do. Linda

      If you'd like to check out even more wonderful quilts made by our readers, go to our Show & Tell page.

      http://www.kayewood.com/blog/community/show-and-tell/

      If you'd like to submit your quilt to our Show & tell page, just e-mail your picture and story, 50 words or less please, to Terrye at the following e-mail address.

      mailto:terrye@...?subject=show_n_tell

      You can also mail a non-returnable picture along with your story to the following address.

      Kaye Wood c/o Show & Tell

      The survey says...

      Here is something we haven't done in a long time, a fun survey question. I know how everyone loves to participate, so get your answers in if you'd like to be included in the results. Here is the question:

      Do you enjoy making traditional quilts, modern contemporary quilts or a nice blend of both?

      A) Traditional

      B) Modern contemporary

      C) I love them both!

      Just send your response of A, B or C to the address below and check our next newsletter for the results.

      mailto:joyce@...?subject=surveyquestion

      Words of wisdom

      "It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop." Confucius

      "When the world says give up, hope whispers, try it one more time." Unknown

      "Never consider the possibility of failure, as long as you persist you will be successful." Brian Tracy

      "Perseverance is a great element of success. If you knock long enough and loud enough at the gate, you're sure to wake up somebody." Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

      "Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, only this time more wisely." Henry Ford

      "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas Alva Edison

      "All my successes have been built on my failures." Benjamin Disraeli

      Would you like updates sent to your e-mail when a new show premiers? Join our list and you'll be the first in your crowd to receive a notice.

      Our catalog is available online, anytime, anywhere! Convenient shopping day or night.

      http://www.kayewood.com/category/Download_our_Catalog/c76

      List your event

      If you have an upcoming event or show you'd like to post on our events page, just click the link.

      Access to all of the goodies on our Kaye Wood website.

      http://www.kayewood.com

      Kaye's Message Board/Forum

      All New! Register and start connecting!

      http://www.kayewood.com/forum/

      Talk to Mary Kaeser about the LoveQuilt Connection

      cquiltcinc05@...

      Finale

      Well gang, I guess that's all for this week. Let us know if you need anything or if we can help you out in any way. From all of us at Kaye Wood Inc., keep smiling, keep loving and above all...keep quilting!

      9-5 Eastern Standard Time.

      Unsubscribe details:

      This message was sent to you because you previously indicated that you would like to receive announcements of new events and special promotions. To unsubscribe, click the link and send an e-mail to:

      mailto:terrye@...?subject=unsubhtml