Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, 9.18.08

  • Terrye Kinch, Kaye Wood, Inc.
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2008

      September 17, 2008

      Home Page

      Well, the official start of autumn begins on Sunday and I'm very excited! This means I can put up my Halloween and autumn decor around the house and outside! I look forward to this and last night I went to work by making new little ghosts to hang in my trees. This is something my daughter and I have always done together in the past, but this year, well she's a teenager and it's just not cool to do these things anymore I guess. Of course I still asked her if she'd like to help and was met with the "are you for real" look, arched eye brows and all. So I just continued to work on my ghosts as she watched me from across the room. I'd show her my cute little guys as I got them done, and she'd tell me how they could be cuter and better. About the 5th ghost in was all she could stand and the next thing I knew, she was right there beside me, making her own little ghosts! It didn't take us long to start joking and laughing as we made a bunch of those little buggers! When we finally finished a couple of hours later, I asked her when she wanted to help me hang them up. Again with the look, arched eyebrows and all, then the tiniest of little grins as she suggested we wait and do it this weekend. I smiled back at this beautiful young girl of mine and gave her a quick hug. It did my heart good to see that my "grown up" teenager, could still let my little girl out to play, at least once in a while! Have a great week and a wonderful start to your fall season!

      Big announcement!
      Hey everyone, have we got a great surprise for you! KayeWood.com has launched an all new website and you're going to love it! So grab a cup of coffee, sit back and check it out.

      Check This Out!
      From our friend Cheryl Weiderspahn of Homestead Specialties, check out the Bottoms-Up Backpack!

      Fun meets function with this awesome bag that features different ways to expand or make your bag smaller, as your needs change. You'll see it's versatility as you convert it from a purse to a gym bag, diaper bag, overnight bag, airline carry-on or a tote for your quilting supplies. The possibilities are endless! With the holidays coming up, pull out your "kid friendly" fabrics to make a great sports bag, book bag or shoulder sling for all the kids on your list! Available for a short time, order yours today! Find the "Check This Out" section from the Shop tab on our home page.

      New Sale
      Purchase any or all of our Sulky books and get $5 off each one!

      164 pages-40 projects
      Applique techniques include satin stitch, Herkey Jerky, Puffy Foam, drapable, trapunto and chenille, plus much, much more!

      160 pages
      Over 12 different quilt blocks to piece and quilt, plus specialty quilts and how to use decorative threads. Techniques include machine quilting, embellishing, layering, appliqueing and quilt basting.

      168 pages-40 projects
      Everything you need to know about using Sulky threads to create beautiful embroidery by hand or machine.

      Go To Our Home Page And Click on the Shop Tab!

      Monthly Sale
      Buy any 1 of Kaye's patterns and get another for half price!
      Kaye has a total of 26 patterns now in her pattern line. For the next month, whenever you buy one of Kaye's patterns, you can purchase another for half price. It's a great time to get that pattern you've had your eye on or maybe pick up one for a friend! Here is a list of the patterns, but you can view pictures of them all on our website.

      Stacking My Blocks***Morning Glory***A-Maze-Ing***Spinning Diamonds***Windmill***Morning Star***Blazing Stars***Twirling Star***Trees With Ease***Kaleidoscope***Dimensional Diamonds***Diamonds In Motion***Hearts In Bloom***Pinwheel Hearts***Candy Corn***Four Patch Hearts***Drunkard's Path***Diamonds Of Yellowstone***Springtime Hearts***Other Side Of The Fence***ABC Blocks***Pond Lilies***Roman Fountains***Shadow Hearts***Pineapple Play***Seasonal Wallhanging
      Click on Shop tab from our home page!

      Take a look at KayeWoodTV.com!
      Join Joyce Drexler from Sulky as she takes us through the process of picking the correct stabilizer for all of our computer embroidered quilts.
      Click Here

      After you've enjoyed the new Sulky segment, watch all 42 of our programs available to you, absolutely FREE! You'll find lots of fun and new projects for quilters and sewers of all skill levels!
      FYI...Programs are viewed best with a high speed connection.

      We want your tips!
      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below, and it will find a place in our newsletter!

      1) I recently discovered I can use my sewing foot with the Teflon glide to attach quilt binding. No need for the walking foot. Works great and so much easier to attach. Judy

      2) I can't believe girls would return fabric! There must be an unwritten code somewhere about fabric for quilters, that insists that we buy and stash every bit of fabric that we possibly can. Why else would I have almost a room full of the stuff? From, Beverly R.

      3) Does everyone know that the sticky residue from the likes of masking tape and even duct tape can be wiped off quickly with a short spritz of WD40? A carpenter tipped me off to this when there had been masking tape on my metal outside door. Before I wizened up to the blue carpenters tape to mark my place on acrylic rulers, I used masking tape and could never get rid of the reside. That is until a little WD40 and a piece of paper towel wiped it all off. I followed this with a little soap and water to get rid of the WD40 and the ruler is sparkling. Try it, you'll like it! Myrna S.

      Kaye Wood is back for another performance in West Branch, MI!!!
      Hey everyone, we're giving you a heads up on how to spend your hunting season this year...in beautiful West Branch, MI at the Kaye Wood Seminar! Yes, Kaye is coming back to show you her beautiful new quilts and everything it takes to make them, plus update you on past tips and techniques, to make your quilting experience, that much easier! A wonderful way to spend the day, and it sure beats sitting in the woods waiting for a deer! Lunch will be provided with a beautiful soup/salad and sandwich buffet! So grab a friend or make a new one at the seminar, this is a great time you won't want to miss!
      Kaye Wood Seminar
      Quality Inn, West Branch, MI
      Saturday, November 15th, 2008
      Space is limited so reserve your spot now!
      Just type "seminar" into the search box, it's easy to sign up.

      Show & Tell
      Here are some beautiful quilts from our readers to view. Thanks to all of you that submit and share your quilts and stories with us. I know everyone enjoys them as much as I do!

      Here is a banner/wallhanging I made for my grandson's first birthday. I adapted the design from Kaye's Children's Alphabet Embroidery Disc using my Husqvarna Viking software. Other than removing the kite from the second K, there were no changes to the designs. After combining it, it stitched out beautifully with Mettler polyester embroidery thread. The quilting was done with a Sulky blendable thread. Jackie

      Since it seems like quilted bags are in style at the moment, I decided to make quilted bags as gifts for my kids teachers. These were a lot of fun to make and it was a nice break from making the standard quilts and throws. Each bag took about a week to and I used a pattern with some of my own customizing. Trisha

      If you'd like to check out even more wonderful quilts made by our readers, go to our Show and Tell Page from the Community Tab above
      If you'd like to submit your quilt to our Show & Tell page, just e-mail your picture and story, 50 words or less please, to Terrye at the following e-mail address.

      You can also mail a non-returnable picture along with your story to this address.

      Keep yourself in great quilting shape!
      Quilting is a great way to spend your time, but we all know what a toll it can take on your hands, neck, back, etc. A good balance is key to keeping yourself in great quilting shape! Here are some tips to help you achieve that balance.

      Keep your workstation ergonomic-A lot of quilters have their machines on a table that is too tall. In doing this you cause strain to your arms, wrists and back. It's very important that your chair and table be the right height for your body. As you sit, your feet should be flat on the floor and your legs should form a right angle. Make sure your chair has lumbar support to help your lower back or buy a pillow made to help with this problem.
      Carpal Tunnel Syndrome-A big problem in the quilting/sewing world, anyone who has suffered from this can tell you what a real pain this malady can be! Also, if you don't address this problem, surgery may be your only relief. Help prevent this by varying your hand quilting techniques, taking rest breaks often, using good posture and keeping your workstation ergonomic.
      Back pain-Sitting, especially for long periods of time, puts enormous strain on your back. Help keep your back in shape by taking frequent breaks and avoid the marathon sessions at your sewing machine. Shift your weight by getting up and moving about. Try to keep a good posture and stretch that spine. If standing for long periods of time, elevate one foot 6 inches higher than the other on a stool or box. Switch feet after a period of time.
      Eye strain-If you have glasses wear them or use your magnifying "cheaters" for stitching. Vanity is not allowed when it comes to getting your stitches correct! Also, the right lighting is key to help prevent eye strain. Did you know that the amount of light you need to help prevent eye strain increases as we get older? Check with your eye doctor to find out how much. Give your eyes a break, after a short time focus on something outside or across the room.
      Get plenty of exercise, rest and good nutrition-What more can be said about this? When you have these things balanced in your life, the rest just falls into place. TAKE CARE OF YOU!!!

      Words of Wisdom
      "If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again." Flavia Weedn
      "Problems are only opportunities with thorns on them."
      Hugh Miller
      "One has to remember that every failure can be a stepping stone to something better."
      Col. Harland Sanders
      "Throw back the shoulders, let the heart sing, let the eyes flash, let the mind be lifted up. Look upward and say to yourself...nothing is impossible!" Norman Vincent Peale
      Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
      Josh Billings

      Would you like updates sent to your e-mail when a new show premiers? Join our list and you'll be the first in your crowd to receive a notice!

      Kaye Wood Inc. Catalog
      Our catalog is available online, anytime, anywhere! Convenient shopping day or night!
      Click on Download Our Catalog by going to the Shop tab above and clicking on the left hand navigation.

      List your event
      If you have an upcoming event or show you'd like to post on our events page, just click the link.

      Our Home Page
      Access to all of the goodies on our Kaye Wood website!

      Talk to Mary Kaeser about the LoveQuilt Connection.