Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, 9.9.08

  • Terrye Kinch, Kaye Wood, Inc.
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2008
      Blank

      Kaye Wood's Quilting Newsletter

      September 9, 2008

      Home Page

      Hey everyone! Things are changing around here and not necessarily for the better! It's getting darker a lot earlier again, which I don't like. I've had to use my defrosters the past few mornings, which I don't like. I had to wear a jacket when I sat on my deck last night, which I don't like. The birds are starting to head south, which I don't like. The leaves are changing to a beautiful variety of colors, which I don't...no wait, I actually really do like that! One out of five isn't bad right? They're all signs people, signs of what's to come! Fall, which hasn't actually started yet, will be over in no time at all, leaving way to the dreaded winter! (cue in catastrophe music here) Calgon take me away...to somewhere nice and warm for the winter! I think this might be the year when I force Kaye to adopt me, so I can go to Arizona with her for the winter! Everyone can use another deduction on their taxes, right? Have a great week!

      Have you checked these out lately? These are some of the wonderful patterns available for just a short time, so get them while you can!

      Love Is All Around-Grandma's Joy-The Natural-Jam Art-Buckaroo Bears-An Apple A Day-Chain, Chain, Chain
      Click the link for more info!

      Last week for this awesome sale!
      We've got a new sale for you and it is a FANTASTIC deal, you won't want to miss out on.
      The Autumn Splendor pattern, WITH a package of the Sew Easy Triangle paper, AND a DVD of the program featuring these items, for $19.99!
      All 3 items for about the same price as it usually costs you for just the DVD! Read on about this beautiful pattern.
      Perfect for the fall season we have the Autumn Splendor table runner! The beautiful blend of autumn colors, will definitely put you in the fall mood. Plus, with the Sew Easy Triangle paper, it's a breeze to do. This table runner measures 15" x 52" and would make a wonderful gift for a friend, or to dress up your own table. Read on for more info about Sew Easy Triangle Paper.
      Sew Easy Triangles are a printed grid on fusible paper, that enables the sewer to make precise half-square triangles, quarter-square triangles and reversible prairie points, with no trouble at all. Sandwich two fabrics right sides together and fuse a page of Sew Easy Triangle Paper in place with a hot, dry iron. No pinning is necessary. Stitch on the dotted sewing lines, no marking necessary, cut on the cutting lines, peel the paper and press open. There is no squaring up involved at all, your triangles are ready to go into your project in no time! Sew Easy Triangles can be used with any pattern, as long as you know the finished size of the triangles you will be making.
      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Monthly Sale
      Buy any 1 of Kaye's patterns and get another for half price!
      Kaye has a total of 23 patterns now in her pattern line. For the next month, whenever you buy one of Kaye's patterns, you can purchase another for half price. It's a great time to get that pattern you've had your eye on or maybe pick up one for a friend! Here is a list of the patterns, but you can view pictures of them all on our website.

      Stacking My Blocks***Morning Glory***A-maze-ing***Spinning Diamonds***Windmill***Morning Star***Blazing Stars***Twirling Star***Trees With Ease***Kaleidoscope***Dimensional Diamonds***Diamonds In Motion***Hearts In Bloom***Pinwheel Hearts***Candy Corn***Four Patch Hearts***Drunkard's Path***Diamonds Of Yellowstone***Springtime Hearts***Other Side Of The Fence***ABC Blocks***Pineapple Play***Seasonal Wallhanging

      Carol Ingram shares numerous ideas and projects we can do with our Puffy Foam, including how to use your left over pieces for an amazing look.
      After you've enjoyed the new Sulky segment, watch all 37 of our programs available to you, absolutely FREE! You'll find lots of fun and new projects for quilters and sewers of all skill levels!
      FYI...Programs are viewed best with a high speed connection.

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below, and it will find a place in our newsletter!

      mailto:joyce@...?subject=sharewithus

      1) I saw in the most recent newsletter something about Pantry Purses and could not help but think of the one thing I made from quilted place mats that I really liked a LOT, tea cozies. Using an oval, quilted place mat, I merely cut it in half along the smallest dimension. I then stitched it right sides together along the outer edges (not the cut edges). Last, bind the cut edges, overcast or hem them somehow, and you have a nice tea cozy in a matter of minutes. You might even find the perfect place mat at the dollar store or on sale. Cheers, Mary D.

      2) I print my label info using my computers word program. First I print it on paper, before I print it on the fabric. Once I am satisfied that it is as I want it, I save the sample. If I'm using a smaller, left over piece of PFP fabric, I then tape over the printed sample with Scotch Tape, and run it through the printer with proper settings adjusted. In doing this I know that it will fit on the fabric perfectly. I then use the paper label and insert it under the picture of the quilt, which I place in my album with small samples of the fabric used, and additional info as to who it might be presented to. I find that I do not waste my PFP fabric and also have a copy of the label info for my photo album. Mona P.

      3) In response to Eleanor about returning fabric, I was surprised to find out that at my fabric shop you can also return fabric. I believe that it has to be at least a yard piece though, in order for my store to take it back. What a great thing to know about! Mary S.

      Kaye would like to announce....

      Did you know the LoveQuilt Connection is now 15 years old? I can hardly believe it! I created the LoveQuilt Connection to encourage people to make 6 Hour Quilts, which are donated to children in need through charitable organizations. My goal is to have as many people as possible learn the technique, so they in turn could, "pay it forward", by teaching it to others. Over 2500 quilts have been made since I first introduced this program, and many quilters have introduced the 6 Hour Quilt to their own communities.

      One lady in particular has been relentless in her mission to spread 6 Hour Quilts to the needy via the LoveQuilt Connection, and I have named her the National LoveQuilt Connection Coordinator. This person is Mary E. Kaeser from Cincinnati, Ohio. I have chosen Mary because of her success in using the 6 Hour Quilt technique in her own community, by creating the non-profit organization Community Quilt Connection. As well as promoting and organizing events in her own community, Mary has successfully introduced the 6 Hour Quilt into the curriculum of several local schools and has taught it to several youth groups, such as the Girl Scouts, for community service projects.

      Mary, with my guidance, will present LoveQuilt events nationally and in local communities, in an effort to expand it even more, and to be able to offer more help to those in need.

       Our goal now is to compile a list of people and groups using the 6 Hour Quilt technique for their charities. In the future we hope to have official chapters formed, which would hold annual events, so quilts will continually be going to the people who need them. Mary will be available to share her expertise on how to introduce this event to your community and schools. Please e-mail Mary and let her know of your 6 Hour Quilt projects/events/groups, if you wish to receive e-mails for info pertaining to the LoveQuilt Connection, or if you'd like to list your group as a possible chapter. Enter GROUP, INFO or CHAPTER, in the subject line accordingly. Here is that link:
      cquiltcinc05@...
      Mary E. Kaeser
      Founder/Co-Director,
      Community Quilt Connection, Inc
      www.comunityquiltconnection.org
      Phone: 513-238-2305
      Location: Cincinnati Mills Mall
      2nd Floor A-237 Entry 2
      Mail: 321 Thomas Lane
      Harrison, Ohio 45030

      Here are some other suggestions to include in your e-mails to Mary, to help her better understand how and what you and your group are doing.
      1) Group or individual name
      2) E-mail for contact person
      3) Website URL
      4) How did you learn about the 6 Hour Quilt?
      5) When did you start making 6 Hour Quilts?
      6) Approximate number of people involved.
      7) Approximate number of quilts previously donated.
      8) To what charities have you presented these quilts?
      With your help and involvement, we can keep this wonderful charity going for years to come!
      Sincerely, Kaye Wood

      Show & Tell
      Here are some beautiful quilts from our readers to view! Thanks to all of you that submit and share your quilts and stories with us. I know everyone enjoys them as much as I do!

      This is a quilt I recently made for my great grand-nephew. Mary

      This quilt was made in memory of my sister who died of breast cancer. I'm going to be in the Relay For Life cancer walk this weekend, and I made this quilt for our team to raffle off to make money for cancer research. The quilter quilted hearts on it and did a superb job! Kathleen

      If you'd like to check out even more wonderful quilts made by our readers, just click the link.
      If you'd like to submit your quilt to our Show & Tell page, just e-mail your picture and story, 50 words or less please, to Terrye at the following e-mail address.
      mailto:terrye@...?subject=show_n_tell

      You can also mail a non-returnable picture along with your story to this address.

      Kaye Wood is back for another performance in West Branch, MI!!!
      Hey everyone, we're giving you a heads up on how to spend your hunting season this year...in beautiful West Branch, MI at the Kaye Wood Seminar! Yes, Kaye is coming back to show you her beautiful new quilts and everything it takes to make them, plus update you on past tips and techniques, to make your quilting experience, that much easier! A wonderful way to spend the day, and it sure beats sitting in the woods waiting for a deer! Lunch will be provided with a beautiful soup/salad and sandwich buffet! So grab a friend or make a new one at the seminar, this is a great time you won't want to miss!
      Kaye Wood Seminar
      Quality Inn, West Branch, MI
      Saturday, November 15th, 2008
      Space is limited so reserve your spot now!
      http://www.kayewood.com/seminar.html

      Words of Wisdom
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream, discover!" Mark Twain
      "A diamond is merely a lump of coal that did well under pressure." Unknown
      "Use what talent you possess. The woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
      "Trust yourself. You know more than you think you do." Benjamin Spock
      "Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible." Cadet Maxim
      "Never let the odds keep you from doing what you know in your heart you were meant to do." H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

      Would you like updates sent to your e-mail when a new show premiers? Join our list and you'll be the first in your crowd to receive a notice!

      Our catalog is available online, anytime, anywhere! Convenient shopping day or night!

      List your event
      If you have an upcoming event or show you'd like to post on our events page, just click the link.

      Access to all of the goodies on our Kaye Wood website!

      If you prefer to place your order by phone, you can call us toll-free at;

      This message was sent to you because you previously indicated that you would like to receive announcements of new events and special promotions. To unsubscribe, click the link and send an e-mail to:
      mailto:terrye@kayewood com?subject=unsubhtml