Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter. Aug 26. 08

  • Terrye Kinch, Kaye Wood, Inc.
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2008
      Blank

      Kaye Wood's Quilting Newsletter

      August 26, 2008

      Home Page

      Hey everyone! I read some pretty disturbing news on the internet today. The Farmer's Almanac goes on sale this week and the forecast looks rather grim. Some people claim it to be nonsense, but history states that the 192 year old publication, has an accuracy rate of 80-85 percent! That's better odds then a lot of things I know. So here it is, love it or hate it, what they have to say about the upcoming winter weather.
      The Farmers Almanac predicts above normal snowfall and frigid temps for the Great Lakes and Midwest, especially during Jan. and Feb. (oh joy...make my day) The Southwest will see above normal precipitation during the month of Dec. and the same for the Southeast during the months of Jan. and Feb.. Also to have an unusually wet or snowy Feb. is the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic areas. On the other hand, the Pacific Northwest should be a bit drier than usual in Feb.
      So there you have it, you heard it here first. Stock up on supplies and projects, and stay in till spring comes! That's my best advice at this time! Of course, maybe this will be the year the Almanac hits on that 20-25% wrong average! I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Have a great week and a safe Labor Day weekend.

      From our good friends at Happy Apple Quilts we have, An Apple A Day!
      Remember what they say about having an apple a day? Well now you can have one for every day of the week, with plenty of sunshine to lighten your mood! This wallhanging will brighten up any spot in your home and give it a cheery atmosphere. Pattern goes together very quickly by using a combination of patchwork and easy machine applique. Instructions also included for a hanging sleeve and easy bindings. Click the link for more information on this pattern!

      New Sale!
      We've got a new sale for you and it is a FANTASTIC deal, you won't want to miss out on.
      The Autumn Splendor pattern, WITH a package of the Sew Easy Triangle paper, AND a DVD of the program featuring these items, for $19.99!
      All 3 items for about the same price as it usually costs you for just the DVD! Read on about this beautiful pattern.

      Perfect for the fall season we have the Autumn Splendor table runner! The beautiful blend of autumn colors, will definitely put you in the fall mood. Plus, with the Sew Easy Triangle paper, it's a breeze to do. This table runner measures 15" x 52" and would make a wonderful gift for a friend, or to dress up your own table. Read on for more info about Sew Easy Triangle Paper.
      Sew Easy Triangles are a printed grid on fusible paper, that enables the sewer to make precise half-square triangles, quarter-square triangles and reversible prairie points, with no trouble at all. Sandwich two fabrics right sides together and fuse a page of Sew Easy Triangle Paper in place with a hot, dry iron. No pinning is necessary. Stitch on the dotted sewing lines, no marking necessary, cut on the cutting lines, peel the paper and press open. There is no squaring up involved at all, your triangles are ready to go into your project in no time! Sew Easy Triangles can be used with any pattern, as long as you know the finished size of the triangles you will be making.
      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Monthly Sale
      Last week for this sale!
      Free quilt stencil when you buy the pattern,
      Straw Wreath from Petal Play!
      Get into the fall season with this wonderful Straw Wreath and Pinecones pattern! Now you can bring the outdoors in with this wonderful multi-colored straw/fabric wreath! Uniquely constructed, but ever so simple, pick out the brightest colors in your stash to brighten up any wall or door! Order now and we'll also send you the one of a kind stencil, to make the accent pinecones, absolutely FREE! Read on to find out about Joan Shay's fantastic technique!

      Whether you are a beginning quilter or an expert in applique, Joan Shay with her 3-D Appli-bond technique, will allow you to add realistic, three-dimensional applique to your quilts. This technique allows you to create dimension, without turning any edges. This pattern comes complete with fabric requirements, paper templates, illustrated stitch sheet, and a list of all the items you need to make your project a success. Plus, when you buy this pattern, you will get FREE, the Petal Play Plastic Stencil that goes hand in hand with this pattern! Also suggested for your consideration, are the needles Joan Shay recommends. Each needle has 3 bayonette cutting edges and pierces the bonded fabric with ease. They are also helpful when doing the buttonhole stitch on fusible applique. Joan promises, you won't be sorry you ordered them.

      Sulky has another great new show for you to check out on free motion print applique!
      Carol Ingram shares her tips on making a beautiful sunflower with a free motion print applique! Click here to view this new show!

      After you've enjoyed the new Sulky segment, watch all 37 of our programs available to you, absolutely FREE! You'll find lots of fun and new projects for quilters and sewers of all skill levels!
      FYI...Programs are viewed best with a high speed connection.

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below, and it will find a place in our newsletter!

      mailto:joyce@...?subject=sharewithus

      1. As a fairly new quilter, I had trouble stippling. I drew a wiggly line with a chalk pencil to sew on. That gave me the idea of the stitching pattern. In no time at all I was stippling on my own...and looking pretty good! Sandy

      2. Tips on threading a needle that I use, is that I cut the thread at an angle. I don't lick the thread but lick the needle and that helps the thread go through the needle. You can also use a sheet of white paper to help with seeing the eye of the needle, depending on the light you have available. Marie M.

      3. Something I have noticed on the bolt ends of fabric recently is the notation of "wash fabric before cutting out". Obviously the fabric might shrink or bleed color if washed after you have made your quilt. What a horrible way to ruin your quilt! Joanne K.

      4. I see you printed my hint. However, there needs to be a correction to it. It should read every 4 or 5 stitches, not inches. Try it and you will see the difference. I learned this trick in design school when we were working with some very delicate fabrics. Joanne K.
      Here is the tip below that Joanne was referring to. Sorry Joanne for the mix-up and thank you for letting us know!
      When you need to "unsew" a seam, clip the top (needle) thread every 4 or 5 stitches, (not inches) then you can pull the bottom thread out easily. This method doesn't stretch the fabric like some methods do.
      Joanne K.

      Did you know?
      Does 1971 mean anything to you? How about in the terms of quilting? Well read on for an interesting little tidbit.
      In the late 1940's and 1950's, quilt making was just not the thing to do anymore. By the time the sixties hit, very few women were quilting and quilting fabric was hard to find. Later in the sixties the, "give back to the Earth" movement started, and people once again were getting more interested in doing things the "old fashioned" way, with quilting at the top of the list. But, it wasn't until 1971 when Jonathon Holstein and Gail Van Der Hoof convinced the Whitney Museum of American Art, to hang an exhibit of their collection of antique American quilts, that quilt making really started again in a big way. It was one of the most popular exhibits in the museum's history, and traveled all over the US and Europe for nearly 4 years! All of this started a renewed interest in quilts and quilt making! Many magazines that never had before, featured quilts on their covers and other museums started to hold quilt exhibits. I guess you could say from that time on, quilting moved forward and never looked back! Could you imagine this day and age, without a beautiful quilt in your life?

      Show & Tell
      Here is a beautiful quilt from one of our readers to view! Thanks to all of you that submit and share your quilts and stories with us. I know everyone enjoys them as much as I do!

      I made this wallhanging for my daughter, Katherine for her first apartment when she finished University. It was something different than I had made before and I was very happy with the results. Mary

      If you'd like to check out even more wonderful quilts made by our readers, just click the link.
      If you'd like to submit your quilt to our Show & Tell page, just e-mail your picture and story, 50 words or less please, to Terrye at the following e-mail address.
      mailto:terrye@...?subject=show_n_tell

      You can also mail a non-returnable picture along with your story to this address.

      Kaye Wood is back for another performance in West Branch, MI!!!
      Hey everyone, we're giving you a heads up on how to spend your hunting season this year...in beautiful West Branch, MI at the Kaye Wood Seminar! Yes, Kaye is coming back to show you her beautiful new quilts and everything it takes to make them, plus update you on past tips and techniques, to make your quilting experience, that much easier! A wonderful way to spend the day, and it sure beats sitting in the woods waiting for a deer! Lunch will be provided with a beautiful soup/salad and sandwich buffet! So grab a friend or make a new one at the seminar, this is a great time you won't want to miss!
      Kaye Wood Seminar
      Quality Inn, West Branch, MI
      Saturday, November 15th, 2008
      Space is limited so reserve your spot now!
      http://www.kayewood.com/seminar.html

      Words to live by
      "Problems are only opportunities with thorns on them." Hugh Miller
      "A bend in the road is not the end of the road, unless you fail to make the turn." Unknown
      "The world is round and the place which may seem like the end, may also be only the beginning." Ivy Baker Priest
      "If you're going through hell, keep going." Winston Churchill
      "Trust your own instinct. Your mistake might as well be your own, instead of someone else's." Billy Wilder

      Would you like updates sent to your e-mail when a new show premiers? Join our list and you'll be the first in your crowd to receive a notice!

      Our catalog is available online, anytime, anywhere! Convenient shopping day or night!

      List your event
      If you have an upcoming event or show you'd like to post on our events page, just click the link.

      Access to all of the goodies on our Kaye Wood website!

      If you prefer to place your order by phone, you can call us toll-free at;

      This message was sent to you because you previously indicated that you would like to receive announcements of new events and special promotions. To unsubscribe, click the link and send an e-mail to:
      mailto:terrye@kayewood com?subject=unsubhtml