Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter Aug 5. 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5 12:55 PM

      August 5, 2008

      Home Page

      Hey everyone! It's getting to be that time, the end of summer is just around the corner! Soon the mornings will again be filled with big yellow buses and kids with backpacks everywhere you look. It's also time to start planning a few projects! Christmas, (yes, I went there) is less then 5 months away, so now is the time to start making your lists, of the gifts and projects you need to get done! Start checking your stash for fabrics and other things you may need. If you pick up these things a bit at a time now, it won't be as hard on your pocket book later! Maybe you can arrange with your guild or quilting club, to exchange extra items you might have with each other! That way everyone benefits and it costs nothing but your time! Planning ahead is a great way to save yourself time, money and lots of stress! Remember, quilting should be enjoyable.
      To download this newsletter, click the following link.

      Check out this beautiful pattern from Charlotte Angotti called, "Love Is All Around", brought to you by Debbie's Creative Moments!
      Using the traditional Burgoyne Surrounded Quilt technique, this pattern is a generous lap size quilt, that measures
      54" x 72", with additional instructions on how to enlarge it to a twin size. A full color pattern, it comes with convenient illustrations to help you succeed.
      For more info about this wonderful pattern, just click the link.

      Last week for this sale!
      99 cent s/h on Pantry Purses for US customers.
      $1.99 for international customers.
      (Bonus feature: You can see this program on KayeWoodTV.com right now!)
      Grab those potholders and placemats from the kitchen, we've got a whole new use for them now! See how you can make a beautiful Pantry Purse with all the accessories you need, from these wonderful kitchen delights! Quick and inexpensive to make, your Pantry Purse instructions will also show you how to make items such as these; checkbook cover, jewelry keeper, sewing kit, cosmetic bag, just to name a few! The Pantry Purse makes a great gift for family or friends, but don't forget to make one for yourself. Plus, when you buy the Pantry Purse pattern right now, you will pay only 99 cent s/h on this pattern! As an added bonus, you can watch this program on KayeWoodTV.com right now, and catch Cheryl and Kaye making their own Pantry Purse anytime you want!
      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Monthly Sale
      Free quilt stencil when you buy the pattern, Straw Wreath from Petal Play!
      Get into the fall season with this wonderful Straw Wreath and Pinecones pattern! Now you can bring the outdoors in with this wonderful multi-colored straw/fabric wreath! Uniquely constructed, but ever so simple, pick out the brightest colors in your stash to brighten up any wall or door! Order now and we'll also send you the one of a kind stencil, to make the accent pinecones, absolutely FREE! Read on to find out about Joan Shay's fantastic technique!

      Whether you are a beginning quilter or an expert in appliqué, Joan Shay with her 3-D Appli-bond technique, will allow you to add realistic, three-dimensional appliqué to your quilts. This technique allows you to create dimension, without turning any edges. This pattern comes complete with fabric requirements, paper templates, illustrated stitch sheet, and a list of all the items you need to make your project a success. Plus, when you buy this pattern, you will get FREE, the Petal Play Plastic Stencil that goes hand in hand with this pattern! Also suggested for your consideration, are the needles Joan Shay recommends. Each needle has 3 bayonette cutting edges and pierces the bonded fabric with ease. They are also helpful when doing the button-hole stitch on fusible appliqué. Joan promises, you won't be sorry you ordered them.
      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Special sale event coming in August!
      Hey everyone! Be watching for our "Red Hot Summer" sale coming in August! For one week only, a different sale every day of the week, good for that day only! Lots of specials, lots of savings, lots of fun, so don't miss out! Click the link for more info!

      Join Joyce Drexler of the Sulky Design team with another brand NEW show!
      Watch as Joyce shares many projects that can be made with the Sulky Water Soluble Solvy. Some of the projects include ornaments, scarves, felted bowls and much more! Just click the link!
      Click here to watch one of Sulky's new shows!

      After you've enjoyed the new Sulky segment, watch all 37 of our programs available to you, absolutely FREE! You'll find lots of fun and new projects for quilters and sewers of all skill levels!
      FYI...Programs are viewed best with a high speed connection.
      http://www.kayewoodtv.com

      Kaye Wood's LoveQuilt Connection is coming to the Creative Festival in Reno, NV!!!
      Please come help make 6 Hour Quilts for those who need a little extra love! Just a little bit of your time can do so much to help comfort someone in need!
      If you'd like more information on how to set up your own LoveQuilt event, just click below.
      http://www.kayewood.com/lqconn.html

      Come and enjoy the 5th annual Original Creative Festival at Reno, Nevada!
      August 14, 15, 16, 2008

      All new location at the Grand Sierra Resort.
      2500 East Second Street
      Reno, NV 89595
      Clink the link below for additional information and a $1 off your admission coupon!
      www.pcmexpo.com

      We want your tips!
      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below, and it will find a place in our newsletter!

      mailto:joyce@...?subject=sharewithus

      1) I have my cutting table up against a wall. I am then able to slide my long rulers so they butt up against the wall which then prevents the ruler from sliding sideways as I rotary cut. (Also helps prevent me from getting cut.) Being vertically challenged myself, it really works for me. Mona P.

      2) I put all of my various rulers in a small chrome toast-rack, which keeps them tidy and at hand. I don't know how I managed without it! Gillian B.

      3) I do my quilts by machine and when I have strips of batting left over, I use them for making rag blankets. Cora K.

      Did you know?
      Here's a little history for you about a couple of quilting techniques and how they came to be.
      Trapunto
      Trapunto got it's start in Italy in the early 16th century. It appeared in the US in the late 1700's and was very popular until the Civil War. Trapunto is a whole cloth quilting technique which makes a raised surface on the quilt. The rounder shapes are slit through the backing fabric and stuffed with small amounts of batting. Thus, giving it the raised, "puffy" kind of look to the quilt. After all of the shapes are stuffed, the slit is whipped stitched closed. A typical trapunto pattern has vines, cherries, grapes, leaves, etc. Vines and straight line patterns are threaded with soft yarn or cording. <br>After this is all complete, a second backing fabric is added to the quilt and normal quilting is done all around the stuffed shapes.
      A second style of Trapunto, uses a loose, woven fabric for the quilt backing. Instead of making slits in the back to stuff the round shapes, you would use a needle and carefully push the backing thread apart, to make an opening to stuff. The threads are gently pushed back into place afterward. If this technique is used, there is no need for a second backing fabric.
      Hawaiian Quilts
      Missionaries from New England brought quilting to Hawaii in 1820. Most Hawaiian quilts are made from whole pieces of solid colored cloth. Large, appliqued patterns were then placed over a neutral colored background. The applique pieces were made by folding a piece of paper and cutting a design from it. The designs were inspired by Hawaii's natural beauty. Quilting usually followed after the applique design was outlined. Since Hawaiians preferred to sit on the floor, quilting frames from the nineteenth century were made low to the ground. If there was a quilting bee, the hostess did not put out her own quilt to do. It was up to her to prepare a feast to serve the other participants at the end of the quilting day.

      Show & Tell
      Here is a beautiful quilt from one of our readers to view! Thanks to all of you that submit and share your quilts and stories with us. I know everyone enjoys them as much as I do!

      Some of my quilts and wallhangings. Shirley

      If you'd like to check out even more wonderful quilts made by our readers, just click the link.
      If you'd like to submit your quilt to our Show & Tell page, just e-mail your picture and story, 50 words or less please, to Terrye at the following e-mail address.
      mailto:terrye@...?subject=show_n_tell

      You can also mail a non-returnable picture along with your story to this address.

      Kaye Wood is back for another performance in West Branch, MI!!!
      Hey everyone, we're giving you a heads up on how to spend your hunting season this year...in beautiful West Branch, MI at the Kaye Wood Seminar! Yes, Kaye is coming back to show you her beautiful new quilts and everything it takes to make them, plus update you on past tips and techniques, to make your quilting experience, that much easier! A wonderful way to spend the day, and it sure beats sitting in the woods waiting for a deer! Lunch will be provided with a beautiful soup/salad and sandwich buffet! So grab a friend or make a new one at the seminar, this is a great time you won't want to miss!
      Kaye Wood Seminar
      Quality Inn, West Branch, MI
      Saturday, November 15th, 2008
      Space is limited so reserve your spot now!
      http://www.kayewood.com/seminar.html

      Words to live by
      Happiness is a choice, not a response.
      Have a back bone, not a wish bone.
      Give your troubles to God, He will be up all night anyway.
      For every person who climbs the ladder of success, there are a dozen waiting for the elevator.
      A liar needs a good memory.
      No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
      Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it.
      Talk less, say more.
      Happiness is the place between too little and too much.

      Would you like updates sent to your e-mail when a new show premiers? Join our list and you'll be the first in your crowd to receive a notice!

      Our catalog is available online, anytime, anywhere! Convenient shopping day or night!

      List your event
      If you have an upcoming event or show you'd like to post on our events page, just click the link.

      Access to all of the goodies on our Kaye Wood website!

      If you prefer to place your order by phone, you can call us toll-free at;

      This message was sent to you because you previously indicated that you would like to receive announcements of new events and special promotions. To unsubscribe, click the link and send an e-mail to:
      mailto:terrye@kayewood com?subject=unsubhtml