Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, July 9, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2008

      July 9, 2008

      Home Page

      Hey everyone! I hope you all had a great 4th of July weekend! Here in Northern Michigan, Mother Nature decided to work with us for a change, and it couldn't have been better! The temps were wonderful with lots of sunshine, blue skies, and a nice breeze to keep things from sticking! Perfect for hanging out with family, grilling, and seeing some beautiful fireworks! There's just something about fireworks that brings out the little kid in me! I still, after all this time, absolutely love them, and will drive quite a ways to check out a good show! Thank goodness, our local ones are usually very good, so I don't have to do that too often! Have a great week!
      If you'd like to download this newsletter, click the link.
      http://www.kayewood.com/newsletter.pdf

      ******************************
      Check This Out
      Check out this beautiful pattern from Charlotte Angotti called The Natural,brought to you by Debbie's Creative Moments!
      This wonderful quilt pattern is great for using up your scraps! A generous lap size, it measures in at 60" x 72", but has an option for enlarging it to a queen size included at the end of the pattern. Multiple fabrics are used with each of the four basic colors, to create a beautiful, eye catching pattern! Also, it has very easy to read instructions, and is completely in color to help you along your way! For more information on this pattern, click the link.

      ********************************
      What's on sale?
      This is the last week for this awesome special!
      Buy any one of these Lazy Girl Designs patterns and get the accompanying Bag-E-Bottom for half price!

      Gracie Handbag
      Bag-e-Bottom
      LGA

      Whimsey Bag
      Bag-e-Bottom
      LGA

      Towne Purse
      Bag-e-Bottom
      LGB

      Veronica Pocketbook
      Bag-e-Bottom
      LGB

      Summer Tote
      Bag-e-Bottom
      LGD

      Chelsea Tote
      Bag-e-Bottom
      LGE

      City Bag
      Bag-e-Bottom
      LGC

      Newport Tote
      Bag-e-Bottom
      LGD

      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Monthly Sale!
      Free gift with any shipped purchase!
      For this month only, any purchase made will receive a View-a-Strip by Kaye Wood, absolutely FREE! Now you can view fabric as it will look, after it is cut and sewn into strips, measuring 1/2" up to 3" wide. Especially helpful for large florals and striped fabric. No need to do anything, we will automatically add this to your order when it is shipped. E-patterns and E-books alone, are not valid for the free gift.
      *************************************
      Take a look at KayeWoodTV.com!

      Time to grab a cup of coffee and take a break! Sulky has another new show for you to check out, filled with new and amazing ideas!

      Did you ever wonder which stabilizer to use and when? Well wonder no more as Joyce Drexler from Sulky, takes the mystery out of stabilizers and how to use them! Joyce also goes over numerous projects, including computer embroidered clothing, with all of her thread secrets for making amazing designs!
      Check it out here.
      http://www.kayewoodtv.com

      After you've enjoyed the new Sulky segment, watch all 37 of our programs available to you, absolutely FREE! You'll find lots of fun and new projects!

      FYI...Programs are viewed best with a high speed connection.

      **********************************

      Come and enjoy the 5th annual Original Creative Festival at Reno, Nevada!

      August 14, 15, 16, 2008
      *****ALL NEW LOCATION*****
      Grand Sierra Resort
      2500 East Second Street
      Reno, NV 89595
      Click the link below for additional information and a $1 off your admission coupon!
      www.pcmexpo.com

      Kaye Wood's LoveQuilt Connection is coming to the Creative Festival in Reno, NV!

      Please come help make 6 Hour Quilts for those who need a little extra love! Just a little bit of your time can do so much to help comfort someone in need!
      If you'd like more information on how to set up your own LoveQuilt event, just click the link below.
      http://www.kayewood.com/lqconn.html

      We want your tips!
      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below, and it will find a place in our newsletter!
      mailto:joyce@...?subject=sharewithus

      1) I got this on a quilting tip site. Keep track of the maintenance of your machine by winding 10 bobbins. When the 10 bobbins are used up, you know it's time to put a new needle in and clean and oil your machine. Oh yeah, and wind 10 more bobbins! Erica S.
      2) When my tissue paper patterns get tears in them, I fix them by ironing patches of waxed paper over the rips. Wax paper won't hurt the pattern or rip it more like tape does, and it can be removed and adjusted if need be. Gloria P.
      3) To help ease carpal tunnel and arthritis while I'm hand stitching, I place a pillow on my lap underneath my project. Just elevating it a bit, seems to help ease my aches a bit. Samantha R.

      Name The Pattern Contest
      First of all, we'd like to thank the many people who entered the contest! With so many ideas, it was extremely hard for Kaye to choose just one! But, she managed and the winning name is Shadow Hearts, submitted by Virginia Roland! Virginia will be getting an assortment of Kaye's patterns in the mail very soon for being our lucky winner! Thanks once again to everyone who participated, we truly appreciate it!
      *******************************
      Show & Tell
      Here is a beautiful quilt from one of our readers to view! Thanks to all of you that submit and share your quilts and stories with us. I know everyone enjoys them as much as I do!

      This is a lap size quilt that I made for a friend who has ovarian cancer. I thought she could use it in the car on her lap, to keep her warm when she was having her chemo treatments. I call it my, "Happy Quilt", because it is bright and cheerful and hoped it would bring comfort to my friend. I am not good at embroidery so I left the flower centers plain. Peggy

      If you'd like to check out even more wonderful quilts made by our readers, just click the link.

      If you'd like to submit your quilt to our Show & Tell page, just e-mail your picture and story, 50 words or less please, to Terrye at the following e-mail address.
      mailto:terrye@...?subject=show_n_tell

      You can also mail a non-returnable picture along with your story to this address.

      Sewing Machine Tension Problems
      No matter how good you are with your sewing machine, at some time you will probably have problems with the tension. How do you know it's the tension? Well when you sew, your stitches should be smooth and even on both sides of your fabric. If knots, loops or broken thread start to occur, you probably have a problem with your tension.
      One way to check this, is to thread your machine again. Keep your presser foot up while doing this, so that you're sure your thread is going in and out of the proper spots. This helps most of the time, but if it doesn't, there are a few other things you can try before hauling your machine out to be adjusted or fixed.
      If a loop appears on the underside, the upper tension is too loose. Adjust the dial to a higher number and see if that helps. You might have to adjust your dial a couple of times to get the right number. If knots are on the top of your fabric, your upper tension could be too tight and once again, you can try to fix this by adjusting your dial. This time you will adjust it to a lower number to loosen it. If your bobbin thread is knotting up, remove the bobbin and try reloading it. Make sure you are loading it correctly. If you are not sure, refer to your owners manual. Any machine you buy will have a reference guide, usually complete with a trouble shooting section. A lot of your questions and problems can be fixed just be checking there. Some even have a toll-free number you can call for assistance when needed.
      Your machine like your projects is a work in progress. It's going to take a lot of practice to get to know it and just when you thing you do, something else is bound to happen. The most important thing is to be patient and keep trying. Eventually you will get a feel for your machine and how it works, and you'll be surprised how much easier it will be to use it.

      Words of Wisdom
      "From what we get, we can make a living. What we give however, makes a life." Arthur Ashe
      "A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it." George Moore
      "We should not let our fears hold us back from pursuing our hopes." John F. Kennedy
      "Reach high, for stars lie hidden in your soul. Dream deep, for every dream precedes the goal." Ralph Vaull Starr
      "Reputation is what the world thinks a man is; character is what he really is." Anonymous

      Would you like updates sent to your e-mail when a new show premiers? Join our list and you'll be the first in your crowd to receive a notice!

      Our catalog is available online, anytime, anywhere! Convenient shopping day or night!

      List your event.
      If you have an upcoming event or show you'd like to post on your events page, just click the link.

      This message was sent to you because you previously indicated that you would like to receive announcements of new events and special promotions. To unsubscribe, click the link and send an e-mail to:
      mailto:terrye@...?subject=unsubhtml