Skip to search.

Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Jun 25, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2008

      Kaye Wood's Quilting Newsletter

      June 25, 2008

      Home Page

      Hey everyone! I hope your week is going well! Things are a little more laid back here now that summer has come. One of our girls came in this morning, with a huge bin of fresh picked strawberries! She and her mom got out of bed at the crack of dawn, picked a ton of berries, and then came to work! What a woman! I really envy people that can do that! I am typically the type of person that needs a pot of coffee and at least 2 good hours before I can even open an eyeball, let alone go pick berries! So now we have the sweet, intoxicating smell of fresh strawberries filling the office! hmmm! Plus, I'm almost positive that at lunch, she will be offering some of those beauties for me to try. Talk about a sweetheart, huh? Here is a little poem I came across I think you'll enjoy. Have a great week!
      If you'd like to download this newsletter, click the link.
      http://www.kayewood.com/newsletter.pdf

      There are quilts that make me wonder, there are quilts that make me blink.
      There are quilts that tug my heartstrings, there are quilts that make me think.
      But the quilts that mean the most, and that fill my heart with glee.
      Aren't the ones I see at quilt shows, but the rare ones made for me! Author Unknown

      Check This Out!
      Take a look at this unique pattern from our new friends at Maple Island Quilts called Jam Art!
      If you have become a fan of the popular 2 1/2" strips, you will love working on Jam Art! With so many shops selling variations of strip rolls, we put together this very contemporary project to use them. This 36" x 40", multi colored quilt, used 2 strip rolls of 20 strips each, one light to medium, and one medium to dark, in multiple colors. The turquoise project used a strip roll of 40 strips in all shades and values of turquoise. There are two different inserts, one is foundation pieced and the other is tiny little curves. The unique border is wider at the top and narrows at the bottom. If you have been looking for something contemporary that still says WOW, this is the pattern for you!
      Click the link for additional info.

      What's on sale?
      Last week for this shipping special. $1.99 s/h on orders of $19.99 or more!
      (Offer good for orders shipped within the U.S. only.)
      This week we're kickin' in summer with a bang and what better way than with a shipping special! For one more week, when you place an order of $19.99 or more, your s/h will be only $1.99! Let's face it, you can't pull that car out of your driveway that cheap, so I urge you to check out your stock and see what you need. Now is the perfect time to indulge in your favorite pastime and save some money along the way! Unfortunately, this offer is good for residents of the U.S. only. Pricing will be adjusted in the office at the time of processing.
      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Monthly Sale!
      $1.99 s/h on the Simple Chenille Quilts book
      by Amy Whalen Helmkamp!
      (Offer good for orders shipped within the U.S. only.)
      Do you like quilts that are nice and soft, that you can cuddle right down into? Than the Simple Chenille Quilts book is for you! Raw-edge patchwork and faux chenille, combine with simple and easy techniques, to make these quilts the fluffiest, most comfortable quilts in your home! Plus, Amy pairs up two trouble free techniques, for a new twist on these wonderful reversible quilts! This book includes 10 projects from lap quilts and table runners, to baby quilts! Techniques are included to make applique motifs from raw-edge hearts to chenille vines. No quilting required, just sew your blocks together and you're done! So order this fun book today and get a fantastic break on your s/h. All prices will be changed at the time of processing.

      Make sure to visit KayeWoodTV.com for new and exciting tips from the Sulky design team! You definitely won't want to miss what they have in store for you this week!
      Check it out here.
      http://www.kayewoodtv.com

      After you've enjoyed the new Sulky segment, watch all 37 of our programs available to you, absolutely FREE! You'll find lots of fun and new projects! FYI...Programs are viewed best with a high speed connection.

      This week starts the Original Creative Festival in Cincinnati, Ohio!
      For more than two decades, the Original Creative Festival has offered a world class buyers market! Open to the public, the festival features the latest and greatest in traditional supplies, hands on classes with top rated teachers, and the newest and hardest to find items on the market today! If you are a sewing, quilting or embroidery enthusiast and want to learn from the best, but also see the hottest new trends and products, don't miss this years festival!

      Would you like to meet Kaye Wood?
      When you're browsing around the festival this week, be on the look out for Kaye Wood! Whether it be teaching classes, working our booth, or helping with her charity project the Love Quilt, Kaye will be out and about all through the festival! If you'd like to get a little more personal with Kaye, try joining her talk/lecture on Friday, June 27th, at 5:00 pm. You are in for a treat as Kaye shares some of her adventures and misadventures along the quilting road! For more info on Kaye's classes/lecture and other festival goodies, just click the link!
      http://www.pcmexpo.com

      If you'd like a coupon for a $1 off your admission ticket to the festival, click the link below.
      http://pcmexpo.com/data/EventsImages/OHIO%20coupon%20LARGE.pdf

      Please come and help make quilts for those who need a little extra love!
      Kaye Wood's LoveQuilt Connection is coming to the Creative Festival!
      There are tons of people everyday that need a little extra love and comfort! If every quilter made one donation quilt, just think of all the people we could touch and the love we could share! That's the idea behind the LoveQuilt Connection, founded by Kaye Wood in 1993.
      At consumer quilt shows around the country, people are invited to sit and sew 6 Hour Quilts. These quilts of love are then donated to local charities such as Ronald McDonald House, Operation Linus, Wounded Warriors, VA Hospitals, many children's hospitals, plus fire/police departments! To date, more than 5,000 quilts have been donated from LoveQuilt Connection events! While you quilt meet Kaye Wood, Mary Kaeser and her group of volunteers! Mary Kaeser is our local LoveQuilt Connection coordinator for that area, and does a fantastic job setting these events up for charity!
      Come to the Sharonville Convention Center during the Original Creative Festival, June 26-28, and donate a small amount of your time to help make a 6 Hour Quilt. Quilts being made will be donated to the Colerain Fire and Police Departments, in memory of two local firefighters, who recently lost their lives in the line of duty.
      If you'd like more information on how to set up your own LoveQuilt Event, just click the link below.
      http://www.kayewood.com/lqconn.html

      Free pattern for you!
      Just for you from Kaye Wood, we have the pattern Patriotic Rail Fence! Show your support and use your red, white and blues, to make a wonderful patriotic quilt! Just click the link for a PDF version pattern.
      http://kayewood.com/articles/patriotic_rail_fence.pdf

      We want your tips!
      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below, and it will find a place in our newsletter!
      mailto:joyce@...?subject=sharewithus

      1) When you are working with a one way fabric, I have found it very helpful to put a safety pin at the top of each piece indicating which way is "up". Safety pins are great markers since they do not fall out like straight pins. You can even place them pointing up. It is frustrating to end up with a piece upside down after the project block has been completed. Joanne K.
      2)
      I have discovered I can use my Teflon foot for binding a quilt. No longer is it necessary to use the walking foot and it is so much easier! Judy C.

      3) I have found a great use for old thread spools. I like to wrap ribbon or other embellishments around them. It makes them easier to store and definitely easier to work with. Connie B.

      Don't forget to name the pattern!
      This is the last week to name that pattern and send in your block pictures!
      Alright everyone, put your thinking caps on and get your quilting hands ready! You've got the pattern, now the rest is up to you! You need to make a block or quilt using this new pattern of Kaye's, and e-mail us a picture of it, along with a name for the new pattern. Every entry will be considered and the winner will receive an assortment of Kaye's patterns, FREE, not to mention considerable bragging rights! You have until the last day in June to get your entry pictures and pattern name in. Sound fun? You bet, so get those creative juices going and win some free goodies!
      Send your entries here:
      mailto:terrye@...?subject=namethatpattern

      Show & Tell
      Here is a beautiful quilt from one of our readers to view! Thanks to all of you that submit and share your quilts and stories with us. I know everyone enjoys them as much as I do!

      I always seem to choose the most difficult pattern, when I begin something new. I started this Lonestar quilt, my first in 2004, and just completed the quilting and binding in April 2008! During this period of time, both myself and my husband were diagnosed with cancer. This Lonestar quilt was made with 6 different colors and patterns of cotton. It was turning into a volcano in the center after I had put it together, and I was very worried that I had done something incorrect. I requested assistance through the Kaye Wood chat help, and a very nice lady told me the volcano would disappear once I had completed the quilting portion, and she was right! As you can see from the picture, there is no longer a volcano in the middle. I was so happy to finally have this King Size quilt in order, I thought I would share this info for any of your readers that would have a similar issue with a Lonestar. Thanks for your time, I really am privileged to be able to share with so many other quilters! Donna

      If you'd like to check out even more wonderful quilts made by our readers, just click the link.

      If you'd like to submit your quilt to our Show & Tell page, just e-mail your picture and story, 50 words or less please, to Terrye at the following e-mail address.
      mailto:terrye@...?subject=show_n_tell

      You can also mail a non-returnable picture along with your story to this address.

      Did You Know?
      Do you have trouble choosing colors for your quilts, or deciding which colors would look better with each other? Than maybe you need to use a color wheel. A color wheel is circular and divided into 12 equal sections, that display a different color in each section. All colors are made from the three primary colors; red, blue and yellow. These colors are considered primary, because you cannot make them by mixing any other colors together. These three colors form a triangle after they are spaced equally apart on the wheel. To create the secondary colors, orange, green and violet, you add equal parts of two primary colors together. These lie in between the two primary colors that were added together to make that color. The secondary colors will form another triangle. The last 6 "pieces of the pie", are called tertiary colors. Tertiary meaning third in rank, order, formation, etc. When you add equal amounts of one primary and one secondary color, that color becomes the tertiary color, or the color between. So they go in order like this when added; red/orange, orange/yellow, yellow/green, blue/green, blue/violet, and red/violet. Especially when you are trying to find a series of colors that will go well together, a color wheel can be a huge help! Here are some basic color schemes.

      Monochrome-All one color, or different shades, tones or tints of one color.
      Analogous-Generally, any three colors that are next to each other on the color wheel, that go well together. For example, blue will go well with blue-purple and blue-green.
      Complimentary-Complimentary colors are those that are placed directly opposite each other on the color wheel. The opposing colors make for greater stability and contrast.
      Split complimentary-This is the same as the complimentary, but you would add two colors on either side of the secondary complimentary color.
      Triadic-Use any three colors which form a triangle on the color wheel, spaced equally apart.
      Tetradic (double complimentary)-You pick a complimentary pair of opposite colors, then a second pair to use following. For a good balance use the same amount of cool and warm colors.

      A color wheel is a great visual to see the difference and similarities between colors. Seeing colors in this context can help you to make a better judgement when it comes to picking our your quilt fabrics.

      Would you like updates sent to your e-mail when a new show premiers? Join our list and you'll be the first in your crowd to receive a notice!

      Our catalog is available online, anytime, anywhere! Convenient shopping day or night!

      List your event.
      If you have an upcoming event or show you'd like to post on your events page, just click the link.

      Famous sayings!
      "There are only two ways to live your life. One is though nothing is a miracle, the other is as if everything is." Albert Einstein
      "There is no such thing in anyone's life a an unimportant day." Alexander Woollcott
      "Act as if what you do makes a difference, because it does."
      William James
      "The way we live our days, is the way we live our lives." Annie Dillard
      "We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give. Winston Churchill
      "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." Mohandas Gandhi
      "It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end."
      Ursula K. LeGuin

      This message was sent to you because you previously indicated that you would like to receive announcements of new events and special promotions. To unsubscribe, click the link and send an e-mail to:
      mailto:terrye@...?subject=unsubhtml