Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, 6.4.08

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2008

      Kaye Wood's Quilting Newsletter

      Home Page

      Hey everyone! Well, all is right in my world and I can now breath easier...my flowers are planted! Hooray! Better than that, when I drove up to my house after work Monday, my teenage daughter was in the front yard, planting them in my big flower bed! Now I know this shouldn't be a big deal, but it actually appeared she was doing this of her own free will! Huh?!? But me being the ever skeptic, I pulled up with my car and had to ask if anyone was paying her to do this. (Maybe that was wrong, but if you have a teenager, you can totally relate!) Imagine my shock, when she responded that she just wanted to surprise me and get them done for me. Who's child is this and where have they put mine? So my next question was of course, if she had got in any trouble at school that day. She assured me, that there was no trouble, she was really just trying to help me out. At that point I fell over and the ambulance had to be called....no just kidding! lol But you could've knocked me over with a feather! So I got out of my car, gave her the biggest hug she'd allow, and simply thanked her for being so considerate and thoughtful, and for doing such a great job! There may be hope yet for this child of mine! Have a great week!
      If you'd like to download this newsletter, click the link.

      Do you remember the kaleidoscopes you played with as a child? How the patterns and colors twirled and mixed and blended into something else each time you looked at it? Now you can recall them again in this quilt pattern from Kaye Wood called Kaleidoscope! With this beautiful array of patterns and colors, you can find a new shape every time you look at it! Plus, as with all of Kaye's patterns, the cutting and sewing of this interesting design has been simplified, with the helpful tips that Kaye provides. Kaleidoscope comes with complete directions for a wallhanging, twin, double or king size quilt. Uses the Starmaker 8 for ease and accuracy. (not included)
      Click the link for additional info.

      New Sale!
      For just $19.95, you can get the pattern Fractured Bargello and the DVD of that show!
      Now you too can make a marvelous Fractured Bargello jacket, just like you saw on Kaye's Quilting Friends! The Fractured Bargello is a jacket that is sweatshirt based, and uses the stitch and flip method of attaching bargello strips to the sweatshirt. This pattern is good for all skill levels and is quick and easy with Nanette's quilt as you go technique. Detailed fitting instructions are included, so you get a great fit no matter what your body shape might be. Use your imagination and a multitude of fabrics, for a totally different look each time you make one! So easy, so stylish, this jacket is great anytime and anywhere! For the next two weeks you can get the pattern and DVD together for $19.95! This is a steal of a deal you won't want to miss out on!
      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Monthly Sale
      $1.99 s/h on the Simple Chenille Quilts book!
      All prices will be changed at the time of processing. This offer good for US addresses only.
      Combine faux chenille, raw-edge patchwork with simple and easy techniques and what do you get? The softest, fluffiest, cuddliest quilts imaginable! Pair up two trouble free techniques for an entirely new twist on these quick, easy and reversible quilts!

      • Stitch 10 texture filled projects including lap quilts, baby quilts and table runners.
      • Use the techniques to make appliqué motifs from raw-edge hearts to chenille vines.
      • Sew blocks together and you're done, no quilting required!

      Time to log on to KayeWoodTV.com and check out the new and amazing ideas Sulky has in store for you!

        This week Carol Ingram of the Sulky design team, shares an innovative project using creativity along with crayons. Perfect project for you and the children in your life. Carol demonstrates the use of stabilizers and the beautiful array of Sulky threads, perfect for any of your projects. Check it out here.
      http://www.kayewoodtv.com

      After you enjoy the Sulky segment, stick around and watch all 36 of our programs available for your viewing, absolutely FREE!
      FYI...Programs are viewed best with a high speed connection.

      Would you like to hang out with Kaye Wood?
      Well take yourself to Cincinnati, Ohio and the Original Creative Festival, June 26 thru June 28. Kaye will be there every day either in our booth, teaching classes, or helping with her charity project, the Love Quilt, so come and join the fun! Plus on Friday, June 27th at 5:00, join Kaye for her talk/lecture! If you've never sat in with Kaye before, you're in for a real treat as she shares some of her adventures and misadventures along the quilting road! A guaranteed good time, you won't want to miss! Click here for more info!
      http://www.pcmexpo.com

      We want your tips!
      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below, and it will find a place in our newsletter!
      mailto:joyce@...?subject=sharewithus

      1) I like to use fabric yo-yos in craft projects, but hate the tedious tracing and cutting of fabric circles.  Save time and use a metal can with a snap-on plastic lid as a sewing guide.  (The kind that cookies, ground coffee, baked chips, etc. come in.) Select a can approximately twice the diameter of your finished yo-yo.  Cut a square of fabric roughly 1/2" bigger all around than the top of the can.  Center the fabric, right side up on top of the can. (cutting the square any smaller makes it hard to center) Snap the lid over the fabric.  In a few minutes there will be a clear imprint of the finished edge on the fabric, easy to turn under and gather, and easy to trim the excess to about 1/4" after you sew.  No smudges or mess on your fabric.  If you place a new fabric square under the lid when you take the first one off, it is ready to sew when you finish the first one.  The metal cans are easy to clean, and hold their shape better than plastic or cardboard cans.  My can holds fabric squares, thread, some needles, small scissors and a baggie for scraps.  I'm always ready to make a yo-yo. Janice T. Clinton,TN

      2) I use the batting I trim from my quilts for coasters, mats and table runners. I try not to throw anything away if I can help it, and can usually find a use for any leftover. Helen P.

      Don't forget to name the pattern!
      We hope you didn't miss your chance for the free pattern that was offered! You have till the end of the month to get your block pictures in and pattern names submitted!
      Alright everyone, put your thinking caps on and get your quilting hands ready! You've got the pattern, now the rest is up to you! You need to make a block or quilt using this new pattern of Kaye's, and e-mail us a picture of it, along with a name for the new pattern. Every entry will be considered and the winner will receive an assortment of Kaye's patterns, FREE, not to mention considerable bragging rights! You have until the last day in June to get your entry pictures and pattern name in. Sound fun? You bet, so get those creative juices going and win some free goodies!
      Send your entries here:
      mailto:terrye@...?subject=namethatpattern

      The survey says...
      Last week we had a fun survey for you guys! As usual, you didn't disappoint us with your response!
      Here is the question, with the results following and I'd like to thank everyone who participated in our survey!
      How many quilting/sewing classes do you take in a year?
      A)
      1-5
      B)6-10
      C)Over ten
      D)Never take classes.
      Here is how it broke down. The majority of the votes sent in, but not by a lot, was: A)1-5 Followed closely by D, B and C.
      Thanks once again to all who participated and here are a couple of the comments we received about the survey.

      1) My answer is B. Our guild has Sewing Saturdays once a month during the year, and it seems they are best attended when there is going to be a class, be it on whatever.  Love to take in new ideas and especially like new techniques. Hellen

      2) *D * Learned to quilt watching Kaye on TV years ago.

      3) Never had the chance to take lessons, couldn't afford them. I've been teaching myself to sew, by watching your lessons on your TV computer programs. You are greatly appreciated. Rita

      Show & Tell
      Here is a beautiful quilt from one of our readers to view! Thanks to all of you that submit and share your quilts and stories with us. I know everyone enjoys them as much as I do!

      This Garza quilt is a memory for a young woman whose Mom passed away.  I have never used as many techniques in one project before, but this came out really neat.  The family couldn't make up their mind what they wanted, so I did them all: applique, piecing, embroidery and photos.  In the center is a cloth copy of the letter her Mom wrote to the family just before passing.  I tell all my clients that when the memories are overwhelming, just wrap them around you.  The Young Woman does and finds it to be comforting and healing. Barbara.

      If you'd like to check out even more wonderful quilts made by our readers, just click the link.

      If you'd like to submit your quilt to our Show & Tell page, just e-mail your picture and story, 50 words or less please, to Terrye at the following e-mail address.
      mailto:terrye@...?subject=show_n_tell

      You can also mail a non-returnable picture along with your story to this address.

      Would you like updates sent to your e-mail when a new show premiers? Join our list and you'll be the first in your crowd to receive a notice!

      Our catalog is available online, anytime, anywhere! Convenient shopping day or night!

      List your event.
      If you have an upcoming event or show you'd like to post on your events page, just click the link.

      Famous Quotes
      "It isn't the burdens of today that drive men mad. It is the regrets over yesterday and the fear of tomorrow."  Robert J. Hasting
      "Ability is what you are capable of doing. Motivation determines what to do. Attitude determines how well you do it."  Aldous Huxley

      "Our business in life is not to get ahead of others, but to get ahead of ourselves— to break our own records, to outstrip our yesterday by our today." Stewart B. Johnson

      This message was sent to you because you previously indicated that you would like to receive announcements of new events and special promotions. To unsubscribe, click the link and send an e-mail to:
      mailto:terrye@...?subject=unsubhtml