Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, April 30, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30 7:39 AM

      April 30, 2008

      Hey everyone! I hope your week is going well. Mine was pretty good, that is until I had to fill up my gas tank! If gas prices get much higher, I'm going to have to start using a horse and buggy or move in with Kaye Wood! But you know, from a quilters point of view, you could really use this to your advantage! The next time hubby complains about the money you spend on quilting, you can just tell him fine, you're going to go drive the car! It won't take him long to realize with these gas prices, it's definitely cheaper to have you home quilting than out running the roads! Of course, there is always internet shopping, hmmm. I guess you probably shouldn't tell him about that! Take my advice, stay home and quilt! It's much more enjoyable and probably far cheaper in the long run! Have a great week!
      If you'd like to download this newsletter, just click the link.

      Paradise Picnic Table Runner by Happy Apple Quilts!
      Enjoy a perfect picnic indoors or outdoors, with this wonderful table runner! This pattern features a quick, easy method to make Flying Geese blocks that will save you not only time but fabric! Plus, it also includes an easy "quilt as you go" technique and binding instructions! Size 24" x 32". This pattern available for a short time, so order today!

      What's On Sale?
      25% off any QuiltSmart product
      Mariner's Compass...Lone Star...Game Quilt
      A Mariner's Compass made EASY and ACCURATE? You bet! Mattie from Quiltsmart takes this difficult design and makes it simple, just for you! Start with printed interfacing, (included) sew on the lines, fuse and zig-zag to create this fantastic 47 inch Mariner's Compass! Full instructions and printed interfacing, enough for one 47 inch quilt, included.

      Check it out everyone, Quiltsmart has done it again! This time they have taken the traditional Lone Star and made it so easy! Forget the old way you do the Lone Star and welcome to a world that has no angles to measure and no templates! Where you have perfect corner matching, flat sections, and still will be done in no time at all! This pattern includes all the instructions you need, plus 4 panels of printed interfacing, to make a 38" x 38" wallhanging or a 48" x 48" baby/lap quilt. So toss out the old and welcome the new, with Quiltsmart's Lone Star!

      This quilt pattern measures 51" x 60" and combines two loves, quilting and playing games. Gather your family and friends and settle down for some old-fashioned fun. Instructions include how to make curves without curved piecing! How to take those squares to your sewing machine in one piece, with no lost pieces and perfect intersections. Includes pre-printed fusible interfacing and instructions for playing the games.

      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Monthly Sale
      99 cent s/h on the Sassy Bag for US customers.
      $1.99 s/h for international shipping.
      If you are shopping, traveling, or just prefer not to carry a big, bulky purse, the Sassy Bag is for you! Big enough to carry the essentials, small enough to lie firmly next to your body, the Sassy Bag is approximately 8"x 9" and features 2 inner pockets and one pocket on the outside back of the bag. Say good-bye to the days of rummaging through a big bag to find your important items! Try some beautiful spring/summer fabrics, to make the most fabulous bag for all of your outings! Do you know any kids? Pick up some fun, funky fabric and this bag will definitely be a hit with all the little girls and teens you know! It also makes a great quick, but stylish gift for anyone you know! Plus, you can see the episode of the Sassy Bay being made on KayeWoodTV.com right now, for FREE! So order your Sassy Bag through the month of April to get your shipping discount!
      All prices will be adjusted at the time of processing.

      Be the first of your friends to enjoy Kaye's Quilting Friends, right from your computer! Now the show you love, can be accessed at just the click of your mouse! With so many different shows to choose from, you will find that Kaye and her guests provide exceptional TV programming, that will offer a variety of quilting and sewing projects for every skill level. Furthermore, you can watch these shows anytime it's convenient for you! So what are you waiting for? Click that link and start enjoying them now!

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below, and it will find a place in our newsletter!
      mailto:joyce@...?subject=sharewithus

      1) Ever get those free internet program DVD's in the mail? They make a perfect template for yo-yo's! Anne K.
      2) I was in the fish section of our supermarket and noticed a stack of clear boxes, that were flat and had covers. I asked the person behind the counter what they do with them and he told me, after they unload the fish into the display, the boxes go to recycling. I'm all for recycling and asked him if he would consider giving some to quilters, to store finished blocks, patterns, tools, etc. He was more than happy to hand over 10 of them to me and said I could have as many as I wanted. These boxes made great craft boxes and after a round in the dishwasher, no fishy smell remained! The top of the boxes do have printing on them, but you could easily cover that with contact paper or a photo of the quilt block you're working on. Roberta K.
      3) I have a heck of time threading needles, so what I do is take about a 1/2 inch of thread and run it through a drop of Fray Check on my finger. It of course, stiffens the thread up, so it goes through the eye of the needle with no trouble at all! Makes it ever so much easier to get those needles threaded! Caron B.

      Show & Tell
      Here is a beautiful quilt from one of our readers to view! Thanks to all of you that submit and share your quilts and stories with us! I know everyone enjoys them as much as I do!

      This is the first quilt that I have pieced. Alice

      If you'd like to check out even more wonderful quilts made by our readers, just click the link.
      If you'd like to submit your quilt to our Show & Tell page, just e-mail your picture and story, 50 words or less please, to Terrye at the following e-mail address.
      mailto:terrye@...?subject=show_n_tell
      You can also mail a non-returnable picture alone with your story to this address;
      Kaye Wood, c/o Show & Tell
      PO BOX 456

      Set sail on the Mother's Day
      Sew Fun Cruise this May!
      Join Kaye and the Roundbobbin group, for a fantastic Mother's Day Sew Fun Cruise!
      May 10th thru May 18th, 2008
      Celebrate Mother's Day this year with a great gift to yourself...a fantastic quilting cruise! Pack a bag, grab your passport and set sail on the Carnival Liberty Fun Ship, to these wonderful, exotic ports of call!
      Ft. Lauderdale...Panama...Costa Maya...Costa Rica
      Time is running out, so make your reservation today! For more info, call Bonnie at Cruise One!
      1-800-784-4480
      Or go to
      http://www.roundbobbin.com

      Photographing Your Quilts
      Alright, you've just spent weeks, maybe months making your quilt and now it's finally done! Time to take some pictures of your finished product! Whether it be for insurance purposes, an appraising, your quilt journal, whatever, a nice picture of your work is always a good thing to have. But if you're like the majority of us, you're not necessarily a photographer. Never fear, you can still take awesome pics of your beautiful handiwork. Here are a few tips to help you achieve that great picture!

      1) Make sure your quilt is straight. Stand right in front of it and try to focus your camera on the center of your quilt. Different angles are sometimes done, but if you don't know what you're doing, your quilt can come out looking distorted and crooked.
      2) Use a backdrop. If you have a solid colored wall or a solid drop cloth, use that to shoot your quilt on. Your quilt has plenty of detail and you want those details to stand out, not to mention your colors and patterns. Backgrounds that are busy tend to take the focus away from your quilt instead of enhancing it. So when possible, use a solid backdrop to get at least one pic of just your entire quilt.
      3) Try different shots. After you get your backdrop shot, then you can be creative. Drape your quilt on the bed, the back of a sofa or chair. Take a pic of yourself with your quilt, it'd make a great photo-op!

      4) Since you probably don't have professional lighting just laying around ready to be used for your pics, consider taking some outside! Outside lighting is usually the best for bringing out colors and distinctions. Be careful not to take it in direct sunlight, which can be a little too harsh, or heavy overcast days, when it's hard for the sun to shine. A slightly overcast day or an open area that tends to be shady, would be perfect for taking your quilt pics! Drape them on a clothesline or over a railing for a wonderful "outdoorsy" look!
      5) If at all possible, use a digital camera. Most digitals have the capability to "zoom in" so you can get some great detail shots. Also, you can preview your pics instantly to avoid mistakes and make any necessary changes. You can also take many pics with a digital camera and just delete the ones you don't really care for. Then when you go to print them out, if they still aren't quite the way you expected, most developing places have different options to enhance your pics to get the best image possible!
      6) Don't forget to take pics of the back of your quilt, and any other distinguishing features you have done to it. If by chance it becomes lost or stolen, the more details and pics you have of your quilt, the easier it will be to identify and hopefully get it back to its rightful owner...YOU!

      Famous Quotes
      "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." Eleanor Roosevelt
      "Dream as if you'll live forever...live as if you'll die today."
      James Dean
      "Dreams are the touchstones of our character." Henry David Thoreau
      "Dream your dreams with open eyes and make them come true." T.E. Lawrence
      "May your dreams defy the laws of gravity."
      H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

      Would you like updates sent to your e-mail when a new show premiers? Join our list and you'll be the first in your crowd to receive a notice!

      Our catalog is available online, anytime, anywhere! Convenient shopping day or night!

      List your event.
      If you have an upcoming event or show you'd like to post on our events page, just click the link.

      Well gang, I guess that's all for this week. Let us know if you need anything or if we can help you out in any way! From all of us at Kaye Wood Inc., keep smiling, keeping loving and above all...keep quilting!

      This message was sent to you because you previously indicated you would like to receive announcements of new events and special promotions. To unsubscribe, click the link and send an e-mail to:
      mailto:terrye@...?subject=unsubhtml