Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, 3.26.2008

  • Kaye's Quilting Friends
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 2008

      March 26, 2008

      Our Home Page
      Access to all the goodies on the Kaye Wood website!
      http://www.kayewood.com

      Hey everyone! In last weeks letter I was rejoicing with a big "WAHOO!" because spring was finally here! That was then, this is now! Winter once again reared it's ugly head, on Easter Sunday no less, bringing us ice, snow and cold weather! Not exactly the best mix for an egg hunt, I'm here to tell you! My poor little niece came in all excited to show me her new Easter sandals, only to be carried out when they left, so she wouldn't freeze her toes off in the snow! For whatever reason, winter is bound and determined to have the last say and stick around as long as it can. Meanwhile, I'll just keep dreaming about the beautiful flowers I will have growing...eventually!
      If you'd like to download this newsletter, just click the link.

      Spring is finally here and what better reminder, than to see a beautiful bouquet of tulips, hanging on your wall. With Diane's Tulip Wall Quilt, you can now enjoy your tulips inside and out! This Gallery Series pattern measures 25" x 30" and has that beautiful, but easy to do, stained glass look to it! Ruffled tulips are simply traced from a full size pattern, and then fused onto a black fabric background. Voila! A stained glass look without all the fuss and hard work! Just like spring, this pattern is around for only a short time, so order yours today! Click on the link for more info.

      What's on Sale?
      Buy the DVD of the show featuring the Summer Tote and get the pattern absolutely FREE!!!

      Summer's not quite here yet, but you can start planning for it now with this fabulous Summer Tote bag from Joan Hawley of Lazy Girl Designs!
      Fresh and in-style, whether you use it as a carrier for beach gear or just a wonderful "hold all" purse, you won't forget anything with this roomy bag! The Summer Tote measures 11" tall by 15" wide, and closes across the top with a convenient zipper. 6 outside pockets and up to 4 inside pockets that are fully lined, guarantee there's a place for everything to keep everything in it's place! Joan's tips include her easy zipper installation technique and how to use Steam-A-Seam 2, to fuse the walls to create a canvas like fabric, that make this bag extra sturdy and durable! Whether you choose beautiful, bright fabrics for summer, perfect pastels for spring or anything in between, this will definitely become your favorite bag to tote around! Remember, for the next two weeks when you buy the DVD of this show, the Summer Tote pattern is absolutely FREE!
      (Also can use optional Bag-E-Bottom, Size D)
      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Monthly Special!
      March is almost gone and along with it this special!
      You can get Sunbonnet Bunnies for 99 cent s/h, all month long!
      $1.99 s/h for overseas and Canadian orders.
      From Margie Engel of Engel Quilts we have the cutest pattern called Sunbonnet Bunnies! All the bunny appliques are included in this pattern and are very easy to cut and stitch, allowing you the freedom to embellish till your heart's content! Also, Margie includes tips on each applique page, to help things along! A very easy to follow pattern, this wall quilt measures 35" x 44" and would look wonderful in any room, including the room of that special little girl you know and love! So hop into spring and take advantage of the discount shipping all of March, when you order Sunbonnet Bunnies today!
      All prices will be adjusted at the time of processing.
      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

       Kaye Wood seminar is coming to Ohio in April!
      First come, first serve, seating is limited!
      Time is running out, have you reserved your spot yet?
      Now is your chance to meet and learn from quilt icon, Kaye Wood! Come and check out the Kaye Wood seminar!

      Sunday, April 20, 2008
      2:00 pm-5:00 pm
      Community Quilt Connection @ the Cincinnati Mills Mall
      Fairfield, OH 45014
      Entry 2-2nd Floor
      Ticket price: $20.00
      Reserve your spot now by calling 1-800-248-5293 or e-mail
      http://www.kayewood.com/wbseminar.html
      or mailto:kathleen@...?subject=ohioseminar

       Sulky of America has 10 new programs on KayeWoodTV.com!

      Now you can see all the great Sulky products, books and notions and how they are used, on KayeWoodTV.com! Ten different shows for your viewing pleasure, available whenever you want them, featuring the Sulky products you love! Plus, useful tips, techniques and information to help you along the way! Also as a new sponsor, Sulky will be bringing more informative, fun programs to KayeWoodTV.com, in the future! Just click KayeWoodTV.com to get to our home page. Click on the Sulky category and then click browse list. Choose the Sulky show you'd like to preview, sit back and enjoy!  With Sulky, you are guaranteed to find something fun, new and interesting!

      Take a look at KayeWoodTV.com!
      Be the first of your friends to enjoy Kaye's Quilting Friends, right from your computer! Now the show you love, can be accessed at just the click of your mouse! With 22 different shows to choose from, you will find that Kaye and her guests provide exceptional TV programming, that will offer a variety of quilting and sewing projects for every skill level. Furthermore, you can watch these shows anytime it's convenient for you! So what are you waiting for? Click that link and enjoy!

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would like to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below and it will find a place in our newsletter!
      mailto:joyce@...?subject=sharewithus

      1) When clipping threads during sewing, I find it is hard to get the threads off of my fingers and into the waste basket. Now I wrap a piece of wide masking tape or clear tape, around my fingers with the sticky side out, and overlap the ends so they stick together. Then I slide it off my hand and stick it near my sewing area. Now, all I have to do is touch the thread to the tape and it stays there. Ellen L.
      2) When threading my needle, I knot the end that comes off the spool first. I find it helps to prevent the thread from tangling. Caroline W.
      3) When I'm working on a block, I keep the templates I need together, by threading them onto a large safety pin. Charlotte P.
      4) When I travel, I keep a tin, (mint tin) filled with bobbins. Each bobbin has a different colored thread wrapped on it. That way, I usually have whatever color I need with me, when I need it. Bobbi M.

      Did You Know?
      Do you know how to block a quilt? When you take the time to block your quilt, it allows you to square up your corners, so that it will hang flatter when it is displayed. Blocking also allows you to straighten and square up uneven edges on your quilt, and can help make your applique stand out more. There are two different ways to block your quilts, wet or dry. When you dry block it, it means the quilt is completely dry when you pin it into the shapes and dimensions you want. You will have to add moisture though, in one of these ways:

      • A commercial steamer.
      • Passing your steam iron over it.
      • Spraying it with a spray bottle.

      When you have a project that is need of just a bit of shaping or adjustment, dry blocking would work the best.

      When you wet block, you immerse your quilt in water and put it on a gentle spin. Then you either pin it to a blocking board or a rug on the floor, depending on the size of your quilt. Wet blocking works best for quilts that need a lot of shaping, such as applique quilts or blocks that have been quilted. When wet, the fibers are easier to pull into the shape you need. Whether you use the wet or dry method, pinning your quilt is the most important part of this process. When you pin the quilt, the pins hold it in the shape you want it to be in, while it dries. Your pins have to be less than 1" apart so that your edges don't become scalloped. It is also important to allow complete and thorough drying time, while your quilt is pinned in place. You will be amazed how much easier it will be to hang your quilt evenly after this process.

      Show & Tell
      Here is a beautiful quilt from one of our readers to view! Thanks to all of you that submit and share your quilts and stories with us! I know everyone enjoys them as much as I do!

      I made these quilts for my Granddaughters (Krystynya & Samantha) for Christmas.  They were very excited about them, but I think their Mom & Dad were more excited. Guess I'll have to get busy and make them a Christmas quilt for next year.  I try to make the back of most of my quilts as pretty as the front so that they can use them for different looks.  The only complaint about the double sided quilt is that "they'll wear out twice as fast".  I hope I'm around long enough to make all my family several more quilts. Lorraine

       Sam's quilt is plain log cabin style, but I made her a pillow sham with two of the extra Christmas blocks.

      Krys's quilt has an extra row of squares that are not logcabin.  I made a row of Christmas trees and inserted a Santa face in it.  Krys is almost 6 feet tall and needs the extra length I was able to give with the Christmas tree row.

      If you'd like to check out even more wonderful quilts made by our readers, just click the link.
      You can also mail a non-returnable picture along with your story to this address;
      We'd love the chance to show off your work, so send them in.

      A brand new quilting cruise is in the works!
      Join Kaye and the Roundbobbin group, for a fantastic Mother's Day Sew Fun Cruise!
      May 10th thru May 18th, 2008
      What better way to celebrate motherhood, than on a great cruise just for you! Pack a bag, grab your passport and set sail on the Carnival Liberty Fun Ship,

      to these wonderful, exotic ports of call!
      Ft. Lauderdale
      *****Panama*****Costa Maya*****Costa Rica
      For more info, call Bonnie at Cruise One!
      1-800-784-4480
      Or go to
      http://www.roundbobbin.com

      I've Learned....
      There are people who love you dearly,
      but just don't know how to show it.
      Money is a lousy way of keeping score.
      Learning to forgive takes practice.
      Sometimes the people you expect to kick you when you're down,
      will be the ones to help you get back up.
      You should never tell a child their dreams aren't possible, for what a tragedy it would be if they believed it.
      Your best friend and you can do anything or nothing and still have the best time.
      It isn't always enough to be forgiven, sometimes you have to learn to forgive yourself.

      Would you like updates sent to your e-mail when a new show premiers? Join our list and you'll be the first in your crowd to receive a notice!
      Kaye's all new blog.
      It's all new and written totally by Kaye, just for you! Find out what is going on in Kaye's life and the world of quilting!
      http://www.kayes-quilting-friends.blogspot.com/
      Kaye Wood Inc. Catalog
      Our catalog is available online, anytime, anywhere! Convenient shopping day or night!

      List your event

      Well gang, I guess that's all for this week. Let us know if you need anything or if we can help you out in any way! From all of us at Kaye Wood Inc., keep smiling, keep
      loving and above all...keep quilting!

      If you prefer to place your order by phone, you can call us toll-free at;

      This message was sent to you because you previously indicated you would like to receive announcements of new events and special promotions. To unsubscribe, click the link and send an e-mail to:
      mailto:terrye@...?subject=unsubhtml