Kaye's Quiting Friends Newsletter, Mar 12, 2008

  • Kaye's Quilting Friends
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12, 2008

      Kaye Wood's QuiltingNewsletter

      March 12, 2008

      Our Home Page
      Access to all the goodies on the Kaye Wood website!
      http://www.kayewood.com

      Hey everyone! A Happy St. Patrick's Day, (early) to all! Don't forget to be, "wearing of the green" on Monday, or you're apt to get a little pinch from someone! I am not Irish, at least not to my knowledge, but I do enjoy the camaraderie and spirituality, not to mention a green refreshment now and again, to help celebrate this day. So in honor of the revered St. Patrick, here is an Irish blessing for you. Have a great week!
      If you'd like to download this newsletter, just click the link.
      http://www.kayewood.com/newsletter.pdf

      An Irish Blessing
      May love and laughter light your days, and warm your heart and home.
      May good and faithful friends be yours, whereever you may roam.
      May peace and plenty bless your world, with joy that long endures.
      May all life's passing seasons, bring the best to you and yours.

      Check This Out!
      It might not be fall anymore, but the Tessellating Leaves pattern will have you wishing it was again! Tessellating Leaves is a color game, and what fun you will have selecting your fabrics and arranging them, so they truly look like a carpet of fall leaves, rather than mulch! Your easy to follow pattern will explain how to do this with ease! The block is straight forward and easy, and your pattern will give measurements for a lap size quilt all the way up to a king size! So dare to be different and spring into fall once again with Tessellating Leaves!
      For more info, just click the link!

      New Special!
      $3.99 s/h on all orders $40 and over!
      For the next two weeks we have a great shipping special and it couldn't be simpler for you! Just order $40 or more of product and we will adjust your s/h fee to $3.99! That's it, no fuss, no muss! Your total price will be adjusted by us at the time of processing, it will not reflect on your order when you place it. Although we do apologize, this special is good for US residents only.
      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Monthly Special!
      Just in time for Easter and spring, you can get Sunbonnet Bunnies for 99 cent s/h, all month long!
      $1.99 s/h for overseas and Canadian orders.
      From Margie Engel of Engel Quilts we have the cutest pattern called Sunbonnet Bunnies! All the bunny appliques are included in this pattern and are very easy to cut and stitch, allowing you the freedom to embellish till your heart's content! Also, Margie includes tips on each applique page, to help things along! A very easy to follow pattern, this wall quilt measures 35" x 44" and would look wonderful in any room, including the room of that special little girl you know and love! So hop into spring and take advantage of the discount shipping all of March, when you order Sunbonnet Bunnies today!
      All prices will be adjusted at the time of processing.
      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Help us welcome our new sponsor of KayeWoodTV.com
      Sulky of America!

      Please welcome Sulky of America as a new sponsor of the KayeWoodTV.com website! Log on anytime and check out 10 new programs, featuring all kinds of wonderful Sulky products, books, notions and more! How do you find these great programs? Just click KayeWoodTV.com to get to our home page. Click on the Sulky category and then click browse list. All 10 programs featuring Sulky, will appear for your viewing pleasure, ready to air when you are! Grab a cup of coffee, relax and click any program that appeals to you! With Sulky, you are guaranteed to find something fun, new and interesting!
      Make sure you stay tuned because there will be more to come, featuring Sulky and their wonderful products!

      Take a look at KayeWoodTV.com!
      Be the first of your friends to enjoy Kaye's Quilting Friends, right from your computer! Now the show you love, can be accessed at just the click of your mouse! With 22 different shows to choose from, you will find that Kaye and her guests provide exceptional TV programming, that will offer a variety of quilting and sewing projects for every skill level. Furthermore, you can watch these shows anytime it's convenient for you! So what are you waiting for? Click that link and enjoy!

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would like to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below and it will find a place in our newsletter!
      mailto:joyce@...?subject=sharewithus

      1) For machine embroidery, I use an ice cube tray to keep my embroidery thread spools in order. Just number the inside of each hole and place your threads in the tray before you start. Marie C., Kirkland, WA

      2) To clean the gunk off the bottom of my iron, I use a dryer sheet. Just iron back and forth, with some pressure on the sheet, till the iron is clean. Not only does this clean the iron, but it makes your ironing surface smell good too! Marie C., Kirkland, WA

      3) My hint saves thread and time for me. When I sew and flip or any similar technique, I save the pieces and sew them as I need to, and leave it in my machine for the next seam. Does that make sense? Then later on if I need 1/2 square triangles of assorted colors, I already have them made. I have used them for sashing, borders on quilts and to fill in sizes for blocks. Jo L.

      4) I was recently at a retreat and one of our members had forgotten the power cord to her Bernina. It was found that the cord to a C-PAP machine worked on it. Since the person with the C-PAP didn't need it until she slept, the sewer was able to use the cord and sew all day! Second in MN

      Kaye is coming to Ohio in April!
      Have you reserved your spot yet?
      Now is your chance to meet and learn from quilt icon, Kaye Wood! Come and check out the Kaye Wood seminar!

      Sunday, April 20, 2008
      2:00 pm-5:00 pm
      Community Quilt Connection @ the Cincinnati Mills Mall
      Fairfield, OH 45014
      Entry 2-2nd Floor
      Ticket price: $20.00
      Reserve your spot now by calling 1-800-248-5293 or e-mail
      http://www.kayewood.com/wbseminar.html
      or mailto:kathleen@...?subject=ohioseminar

      Show & Tell
      Here is a beautiful quilt from one of our readers to view! Thanks to all of you that submit and share your quilts and stories with us! I know everyone enjoys them as much as I do!

      My daughter got married last year and I handmade and hand quilted, the wedding ring quilt design, for the newly married couple. I just finished the hand quilting one year later, but as the saying goes, better late than never! I designed the border applique myself and had many sleepless nights trying to figure out how to mirror applique the pattern on the border. The couple lives in Texas and I will travel in March from California just to hand deliver the quilt. I just know that blue is still her favorite color one year later! Geeta

      If you'd like to check out even more wonderful quilts made by our readers, just click the link.
      You can also mail a non-returnable picture along with your story to this address;
      We'd love the chance to show off your work, so send them in.

      The survey says...
      Here is something we haven't done in a long time, a fun survey question! I know how everyone loves to participate, so get those answers in and be counted! Here is the question:

      Which are you most likely to buy on a quilting website?
      A) tools
      B) patterns
      C) fabric
      D) books
      E) notions

      Just send your response of A, B, C, D or E to the address below and check your next newsletter for the results!
      mailto:joyce@...?subject=surveyquestion

      A brand new quilting cruise is in the works!
      Join Kaye and the Roundbobbin group, for a fantastic Mother's Day Sew Fun Cruise!
      May 10th thru May 18th, 2008
      What better way to celebrate motherhood, than on a great cruise just for you! Pack a bag, grab your passport and set sail on the Carnival Liberty Fun Ship, to these wonderful, exotic ports of call!
      Ft. Lauderdale
      *****Panama*****Costa Maya*****Costa Rica
      For more info, call Bonnie at Cruise One!
      1-800-784-4480
      Or go to http://www.roundbobbin.com

      Did you know?
      Have you ever been confused about thread? To the non-sewing public, thread choices usually do not matter one way or another to them.  If you are a sewer, than you definitely should know the difference, when it is time to buy the thread for your project.  You need to consider your project and what you will be doing with the thread. Are you using it in your bobbin or for applique? Do you need to sew a seam or are you doing decorative stitches?
      You can start by looking at the end of your spool. Most of the time, what you need to know about your thread will be there. The weight, ply, fiber content, etc., should all be on the bottom of your spool. Different weight threads are good for different things you might be doing. On your spool end it will usually have the weight number first, than a slash and another number following, telling you what number of ply your thread is. An example would be this: 30/2
      That means 30 weight thread that is 2 ply.  The higher the weight number is, the finer the thread will be. The ply number is actually telling you how many strands are twisted together to make up this thread. In most cases 20 to 30 weight thread is used for decorative stitching, because it is a heavier thread. When doing decorative stitching, you can use a 28-30 weight thread in your bobbin.  40 weight is a quilting thread and 50 weight would be a piecing thread. 50-60 weight are good for applique, but can also be used in the bobbin. Now the important thing to remember is that none of this is set in stone. Use what you consider right for you and try different threads in different ways, you might be surprised with the results!

      Useful Links

      Kaye's all new blog.
      It's all new and written totally by Kaye, just for you! Find out what is going on in Kaye's life and the world of quilting!
      http://www.kayes-quilting-friends.blogspot.com/
      Kaye Wood Inc. Catalog
      Our catalog is available online, anytime, anywhere! Convenient shopping day or night!

      Want to be notified when the Deal of the Day changes?
      Just join our list and you will get an e-mail when there's a great new deal to be had!
      mailto:terry@...?subject=subscribe_DOD

      List your event

      If you prefer to place your order by phone, you can call us toll-free at;

      This message was sent to you because you previously indicated you would like to receive announcements of new events and special promotions. To unsubscribe, click the link and send an e-mail to:
      mailto:terrye@...?subject=unsubhtml