Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Feb 5, 2008

  • Kaye's Quilting Friends
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2008

      Tuesday, February 5, 2008

      Our Home Page
      Access to all the goodies on the Kaye Wood website!
      http://www.kayewood.com

      Hey everyone! As you all know, by the scads of decor in every store you go into, Valentine's Day is just around the corner. Now it is no secret I'm not a big fan of the whole Valentine's Day trap. Not that I have a thing against love or showing love to the people you care about, I'm a huge fan of that! But do I really need a gorilla that sings and hearts that beep and light up, to tell me that I'm loved? Wouldn't you rather get flowers say...in May, just because, rather than on Valentine's Day, because it's the expected thing to do? I'm sure for some people, it's easier to convey their feelings on a day such as Valentine's Day, but if you treat the people you care about with love and respect all of the time, shouldn't every day be like Valentine's Day?
      So here is what I tell my loved ones. I really appreciate the thought, but hang onto your money and don't buy me stuffed animals, a card, candy, etc. Instead, on a day that means nothing more than the fact that it's Sunday, or the sun is shining, or you were thinking about me, write a little note, make me a little card, tell me you love me. Heck, do a load of laundry or some dishes without me begging you to, if you really want to show me you care! I'll remember these gifts forever, and they will mean so much more to me than any Valentine's Day gift!
      If you'd like to download this newsletter, just click the link.
      http://www.kayewood.com/newsletter.pdf

      Have you seen the brand new Deal of the Day?
      Deeply discounted items, that change twice a week! You never know what will show up for the Deal of the Day, but you can bet it will be a great bargain! No prior notice, you have to check to see the great buys available. Click the link for our current deal!
      http://www.kayewood.com/deal_of_the_day.html

      Check This Out!
      Check out this fabulous apron pattern from the Calico Cat!
      When you don't need the coverage of a full size apron, than the fun and flirty, Half Apron Pattern is for you! A one size fits all pattern, it has easy to follow instructions, with convenient diagrams included. Simple but stylish with a faux pleat, this vintage design is the perfect apron for light housework, cooking or anytime you need a bit of cover for your clothes! This pattern is available for a short time, so don't delay!
      Click the link for more info.

      Special!
      Last week for 99 cent s/h on the Pantry Purse pattern by Homestead Specialties!

      Grab those potholders and placemats from the kitchen, we've got a whole new use for them now! See how you can make a beautiful Pantry Purse with all the accessories you need, from these wonderful kitchen delights! Quick and inexpensive to make, your Pantry Purse instructions will also show you how to make items such as these; a checkbook cover, jewelry keeper, sewing kit, cosmetic bag, just to name a few! The Pantry Purse makes a great gift for family or friends, or to update your spring look for yourself! All s/h prices will be adjusted at the time of processing.
      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Monthly Special!
      Valentine's Day is just around the corner, so it would be remiss of me not to feature Kaye's beautiful heart products this month!

      View & Do Heart Shape***Pinwheel Hearts***Hearts in Bloom***Four Patch Heart***Springtime Hearts
      1.99 Shipping on Kaye's View & Do Heart and one or more patterns!
      Kaye's View & Do Heart Shape has 4 removable pieces which allow you to make 2,4,6 and 8 inch size shapes. Great for fussy cutting, each template allows you to view your fabric in different sizes! No guess work and no ripping out stitches, because you know how it will look before you cut it! Ideal for rotary cutting, you'll find yourself using your heart shape in a multitude of ways from sewing and quilting, to scrap booking and many other crafts! Plus, take advantage of the great shipping deal, when you buy the heart shape with 1 or more of Kaye's heart patterns! Love is in the air and you'll love these savings, during the month of February! All prices will be adjusted at the time of processing.

      Be the first of your friends to enjoy Kaye's Quilting Friends, right from your computer! Now the show you love, can be accessed at just the click of your mouse! With 22 different shows to choose from, you will find that Kaye and her guests provide exceptional TV programming, that will offer a variety of quilting and sewing projects for every skill level. Furthermore, you can watch these shows anytime it's convenient for you! So what are you waiting for? Click that link and enjoy!

      Come see Kaye at Mesa, AZ!!!
      The clock is ticking...make your reservation today!
      Lecture/Demo/Trunk Show

      Windemere Hotel & Conference Center
      5750 E. Main Street
      Mesa, AZ
      Friday, February 15, 2008
      10:00 am - 3:30 pm
      Ticket Price: $40.00
      (ticket price includes a continental breakfast and lunch)
      Reserve your spot now by calling:
      1-800-248-5293 or e-mail
      kathleen@...
      Don't miss out on the fun!

      We want your tips!
      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would like to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below and it will find a place in our newsletter!
      mailto:joyce@...?subject=sharewithus

      1) It seemed like I was always chasing the foot pedal around while sewing. I got a slate floor sample from the carpet store, and used sticky Velcro to attach it. The slate is heavy enough that it won't slide around. Linda M.

      2) I'm sure many people already use these, but when I want to see how my fabric colors blend, I use a color wheel. You can get them in some quilt shops I'm sure, but I actually got mine in a paint store! Using this tool has really helped me to blend my fabric colors before I even think of cutting and sewing them! Maryann

      Show & Tell
      Here is a beautiful quilt from one of our readers to view! Thanks to all of you that submit and share your quilts and stories with us! I know everyone enjoys them as much as I do!

      When I found out my friends wife was ill with breast cancer, I was anxious to make her a quilt. I chose one from the Eleanor Burns collection called, Grandmother's Garden. This would be my first applique and piecing project. My friend's wife is now in Hospice and loves her new quilt. I am so glad I was able to do this for her! Pam

      If you'd like to check out even more wonderful quilts made by our readers, just click the link.
      You can also mail a non-returnable picture along with your story to this address;
      We'd love the chance to show off your work, so send them in.

      Did You Know?
      Have you ever had your colored, cotton fabrics bleed? This can actually ruin your quilt, if the dyes run into the other fabrics of your quilt! Pre-washing is a big help in taking care of this problem, but if you're not a big fan of that, here is a way to do it, that takes a lot less work.
      Take a small scrap of your fabric and put it in some soapy water. Have your water the same temperature that you would use in your washer, if you were washing all of the fabric. Leave your scrap in the water for about 30 minutes and then take it out. Check your water to see if it is discolored. If it is, than this fabric bleeds and could possibly dye the other fabrics in your quilt. But...washing your fabric once if it bled the first time, may not totally do the trick. You will need to test your scrap again before using this fabric. Rinse the soap out of it and let it completely dry. After it is dry, do the test once more. If it bleeds again, you might want to think twice about using this fabric in your quilt at all! Better safe than sorry is a good motto to live by, when it comes to fabric!
      What about the fabrics that didn't bleed when tested? This is for sure a good thing, but you're not out of the woods yet! Just because your fabric didn't bleed, doesn't mean it won't transfer dye onto another fabric, when they are wet and encounter each other. To check this, take your wet scrap and lay it on a white, paper towel. Wait for a while and check to see if any of the dye from your fabric has transferred onto the paper towel. If it did, then there's a good chance it will transfer onto your other fabrics when they come in contact with each other.
      If you still have your heart set on using this fabric, you might want to consider treating it before hand, with a dye fixative. This should help make the dye more permanent.
      Most fabrics do not bleed, but if you get some real dark, vibrant colors, it is always better to test them first before using them. Plus, it is so much easier to do when you are using just a small scrap of fabric instead of yards! In the long run, testing your fabric can save you time, money and a lot of problems!

      Upcoming Event!
      The Sewing and Stitchery Expo 2008 in Puyallup, WA!
      February 28 thru March 2, 2008

      The industries biggest stars and respected authorities, share the newest techniques and trends, with more than 100 daily seminars! Take home the very latest in fabrics, notions, machines and resources, when you browse the booths of more than 200 exhibitors! A variety of, "hands-on" classes, provide opportunities to indulge your creative side, explore emerging techniques and make new friends!

      Western Washington Fairgrounds
      110 9th Ave SW
      Puyallup, WA 98371
      1-866-554-8559 or
      http://www.sewexpo.com

      Words of Wisdom
      "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi
      "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
      "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
      Ralph Waldo Emerson
      "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Lao Tzu
      "Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
      "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou

      A brand new quilting cruise is in the works!
      Join Kaye and the Roundbobbin group,for a fantastic Mother's Day Sew Fun Cruise!
      May 10th thru May 18th, 2008
      What better way to celebrate motherhood, than on a great cruise just for you! Pack a bag, grab your passport and set sail on the Carnival Liberty Fun Ship, to these wonderful, exotic ports of call!
      Ft. Lauderdale*****Panama*****Costa Maya*****Costa Rica

      For more info, call Bonnie at Cruise One!
      1-800-784-4480
      Or go to
      http://www.roundbobbin.com

      Would you like updates sent to your e-mail when a new show premiers? Join our list and you'll be the first in your crowd to receive a notice!

      Kaye's all new blog.
      It's all new and written totally by Kaye, just for you! Find out what is going on in Kaye's life and the world of quilting!
      http://www.kayes-quilting-friends.blogspot.com/

      Kaye Wood Inc. Catalog
      Our catalog is available online, anytime, anywhere! Convenient shopping day or night!

      Want to be notified when the Deal of the Day changes?
      Just join our list and you will get an e-mail when there's a great new deal to be had!
      mailto:terry@...?subject=subscribe_DOD

      List your event

      If you prefer to place your order by phone, you can call us toll-free at;

      This message was sent to you because you previously indicated you would like to receive announcements of new events and special promotions. To unsubscribe, click the link and send an e-mail to:
      mailto:terrye@...?subject=unsubhtml