Kaye's Quilting Newsletter, 1.31.08

  • Kaye's Quilting Friends
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2008

      Thursday, Jan 31, 2008

      Our Home Page
      Access to all the goodies on the Kaye Wood website!
      http://www.kayewood.com

      Hey everyone! I apologize that our newsletter is so late this week. I have only one thing to say about this matter...I am sooo ready for spring! Our weather, as in many parts of the US, just can't seem to get with it! We've gone from thunder, lightening, rain, snow and 40 degree temps, to frigid below zero temps and ice, over night! Make up my mind! Winter...spring...winter...spring, which is it going to be? It has definitely been one for the books around here! So, I have no excuse, hopefully we'll be back on track next week, weather permitting!
      If you'd like to download this newsletter, just click the link.
      http://www.kayewood.com/newsletter.pdf

      Have you seen the brand new Deal of the Day?
      Deeply discounted items, that change twice a week! You never know what will show up for the Deal of the Day, but you can bet it will be a great bargain! No prior notice, you have to check to see the great buys available. Click the link for our current deal!
      http://www.kayewood.com/deal_of_the_day.html

      Check This Out!
      Just in time for Valentine's Day from our friend Margie Engel of Engel Quilts...Romance in Rabbit Cove!

      When spring comes to Rabbit Cove, a young bunny’s heart and thoughts turn to love!  Join Bailey Bunny and the gang with this festive, lovely quilt! This pattern comes with all the instructions you need, to make these bunny blocks into a 26” x 37” quilt! Plus, all the paper appliques of the hearts and bunnies are included with this pattern! Bailey and his friends are easy appliqués made of fleece. The dimensional hearts, add texture and teach you yet another appliqué technique! There’s even a secret pocket to insert messages to your loved ones! Looks wonderful for Valentine’s Day or anytime of the year! Click the link for more info.

      Brand New Special!
      99 cent s/h on the Pantry Purse pattern by Homestead Specialties!

      Grab those potholders and placemats from the kitchen, we've got a whole new use for them now! See how you can make a beautiful Pantry Purse with all the accessories you need, from these wonderful kitchen delights! Quick and inexpensive to make, your Pantry Purse instructions will also show you how to make items such as these; a checkbook cover, jewelry keeper, sewing kit, cosmetic bag, just to name a few! The Pantry Purse makes a great gift for family or friends, or to update your spring look for yourself! All s/h prices will be adjusted at the time of processing.
      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Monthly Special!
      Time is running out for this special!
      Buy any one of these patterns that feature the SM8 and get another for half price!

      Morning Glory

      Blazing Stars

      Kaleidoscope

      Pineapple Play

      The month is winding down and so is this special! Whenever you buy one of these awesome patterns by Kaye Wood, you can get another one for half price! Buy two and get two for half price! They are all made using Kaye's Starmaker 8 and they are all fun and easy to do! Click the link to find out additional info on these patterns.
      All price changes will be adjusted in the office at the time of processing.

      Be the first of your friends to enjoy Kaye's Quilting Friends, right from your computer! Now the show you love, can be accessed at just the click of your mouse! With 22 different shows to choose from, you will find that Kaye and her guests provide exceptional TV programming, that will offer a variety of quilting and sewing projects for every skill level. Furthermore, you can watch these shows anytime it's convenient for you! So what are you waiting for? Click that link and enjoy!

      Come see Kaye at Mesa, AZ!!!
      Lecture/Demo/Trunk Show

      Windemere Hotel & Conference Center
      5750 E. Main Street
      Mesa, AZ
      Friday, February 15, 2008
      10:00 am - 3:30 pm
      Ticket Price: $40.00
      (ticket price includes a continental breakfast and lunch)
      Reserve your spot now by calling:
      1-800-248-5293 or e-mail
      kathleen@...
      Don't miss out on the fun!

      We want your tips!
      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would like to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below and it will find a place in our newsletter!
      mailto:joyce@...?subject=sharewithus

      1) When Kaye was on Simply Quilts, she spoke about the 6 Hour Quilt Book, that she sponsored at different quilting events. She explained how these, "Quilts of Love" were made and then donated, and that they made a great charity quilt. Our quilt guild decided to use this same pattern and made quilts for the 40 names of children, who were on our Angel Tree. The Angel Tree is sponsored by the Family Resource Center of our school system. I just wanted to say thank you to Kaye! Our quilts went together quickly and were quite lovely! Due to the fact the children were not supposed to know who provided gifts for them, I was unable to see their faces when the quilts were presented! I know we enjoyed making them and I hope the kids will remember that someone thought enough of them, to make them a quilt of their own. Thanks again, Kathy J., Columbia, KY

      2) When I needed a quick way to keep track of a lot of pieces in a quilt block and couldn't find my digital camera, I used my cell phone to take a picture! I was only making one block, but had a picture of the placement of the pieces, without downloading it to the computer or trying to see it on the tiny digital camera screen! Second in MN

      3) If you get headaches when you iron your fabric, you probably should open a window or wash your fabric before working with it. It is the chemical odors coming off the fabric, that are giving you that headache and they are stronger when you iron. Try to iron by a window that you can conveniently open and you will find it a big help. Patty, Nashville, TN

      Show & Tell
      Here is a beautiful quilt from one of our readers to view! Thanks to all of you that submit and share your quilts and stories with us! I know everyone enjoys them as much as I do!

      In July 2004, I had just finished making a Star Quilt for a give away for my father, when our son came home from the Navy with his wife and two sons for a visit. My husband, daughter in-law, son and myself, are pictured here having a family Quilting Bee! We hand quilted that 90" x 90" quilt in time to enjoy the 4th of July fireworks!
      If you'd like to check out even more wonderful quilts made by our readers, just click the link.
      You can also mail a non-returnable picture along with your story to this address;
      We'd love the chance to show off your work, so send them in.

      Did You Know?
      It would be a perfect quilting world, if all of our rows were equal in length. But...we live in the real world, where rows may not be the same length and that's fine. Quilting is supposed to be fun and we all know, "ripping out" definitely is not! To help improve your skills, here are some thoughts to consider when you're having problems.

      1) Were all the strips cut the same width? If not, maybe you need to practice your rotary cutting.
      2) Were all the seam allowances the same? Once again, practice makes perfect when it comes to sewing.
      3) Did you press your strips without steam, from the right side of the fabric?
      4) If you do have to trim your strips, make sure you trim the top and bottom, equal amounts.

      Checking these things can save you a lot of time and maybe a big headache too!

      Upcoming Event!
      The Sewing and Stitchery Expo 2008 in Puyallup, WA!
      February 28 thru March 2, 2008

      The industries biggest stars and respected authorities, share the newest techniques and trends, with more than 100 daily seminars! Take home the very latest in fabrics, notions, machines and resources, when you browse the booths of more than 200 exhibitors! A variety of, "hands-on" classes, provide opportunities to indulge your creative side, explore emerging techniques and make new friends!

      Western Washington Fairgrounds
      110 9th Ave SW
      Puyallup, WA 98371
      1-866-554-8559 or http://www.sewexpo.com

      Would you like updates sent to your e-mail when a new show premiers? Join our list and you'll be the first in your crowd to receive a notice!

      Kaye's all new blog.
      It's all new and written totally by Kaye, just for you! Find out what is going on in Kaye's life and the world of quilting!
      http://www.kayes-quilting-friends.blogspot.com/

      Kaye Wood Inc. Catalog
      Our catalog is available online, anytime, anywhere! Convenient shopping day or night!

      Want to be notified when the Deal of the Day changes?
      Just join our list and you will get an e-mail when there's a great new deal to be had!
      mailto:terry@...?subject=subscribe_DOD

      List your event

      The Lighter Side
      If it weren't for stress, I'd have no energy at all.
      Usually I try to take it one day at a time, but lately several have attacked me at once!
      Everytime I think I've hit the bottom, someone lends me a shovel.
      Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
      I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

      A brand new quilting cruise is in the works!
      Join Kaye and the Roundbobbin group,for a fantastic Mother's Day Sew Fun Cruise!
      May 10th thru May 18th, 2008
      What better way to celebrate motherhood, than on a great cruise just for you! Pack a bag, grab your passport and set sail on the Carnival Liberty Fun Ship, to these wonderful, exotic ports of call!
      Ft. Lauderdale*****Panama*****Costa Maya*****Costa Rica

      For more info, call Bonnie at Cruise One!
      1-800-784-4480
      Or go to
      http://www.roundbobbin.com

      Another fine site to see!

      Cross Country Quilt Barn is your online resource for beautiful country-style, quilting fabrics, patterns and books. "End-of-Bolt Special", now for a limited time only! Take ALL we have of ANY fabric and you will get an additional 20% off! While visiting us, don't forget to subscribe to our e-newsletter, to receive news of specials, sales, new items, and to be eligible to win the monthly drawing for a $25 gift certificate!
      http://www.crosscountryquiltbarn.com/

      If you prefer to place your order by phone, you can call us toll-free at;

      This message was sent to you because you previously indicated you would like to receive announcements of new events and special promotions. To unsubscribe, click the link and send an e-mail to:
      mailto:terrye@...?subject=unsub_html