Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter - Nov 20, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 20, 2007

      Access to all the goodies on the Kaye Wood website!
      http://www.kayewood.com

      Well, I can't believe it, but here we are with Thanksgiving just a few days away. I looked on the internet for some inspirational words of wisdom or cute little stories to use in the newsletter this week, and none of them seemed to cut it. I started to think about things though, things that I'm thankful for and realize that I do have many. I have had what some people would say, a rather rough time this year. Out of the ordinary events and things beyond my control seemed to plague me all year long. So, when I thought a little about this, I thought it would be hard to find some things to be thankful for. Believe it or not, I didn't have to look far at all. Here are a few things I am very thankful for and I hope you can look on your year and find a few too!
      1. My family. We have diminished in size but they still remain my biggest source of love and support.
      2. My job. At a time when things are so uncertain, it's wonderful to have a job that I love and to work with people who are as close to being family without the blood ties, that you can get.
      3. My health. It's definitely not the best, but I'm still kicking and it's still better than a lot of people I know.
      4. My daughter. The one person who can put a smile on my face, when I definitely don't feel like smiling.
      5. This world. Even though it's crazy and things can be nasty in it, I can always find something beautiful about it.
      Have a Happy Thanksgiving and many blessings to you and yours!
      We will be closed on Thursday and Friday to enjoy Thanksgiving with our families.
      If you'd like to download this newsletter, just click the link.
      http://www.kayewood.com/newsletter.pdf

      Have you seen the brand new Deal of the Day?
      Deeply discounted items for 1 day only, that change twice a week! You never know what will show up for the Deal of the Day, but you can bet it will be a great bargain! No prior notice, you have to check to see the great buys available. Click the link for our current deal!
      http://www.kayewood.com/deal_of_the_day.html

      Check This Out!
      We still have great items on our Check This Out page to see! More new items will be featured after our Early Bird Christmas sale.

      Last week for this fantastic sale!
      You like them, you love them, you can't get enough of them! That would be the View & Do Shapes by Kaye Wood! Now is a great time to pick up the shapes you're missing, because for the next week only, they are on sale for $12 apiece! Buy one, buy two or buy them all, no matter how you add it up, this is a great deal! Read on for more info about these awesome tools!
      Kaye's View & Do tools come in 5 popular shapes, a hexagon, octagon, circle, heart and diamond. Each shape has 4 removable pieces which allow you to make 2,4,6 and 8 inch size shapes. Great for fussy cutting, each template allows you to view your fabric in different sizes! No guess work and no ripping out stitches, because you know how it will look before you cut it! Ideal for rotary cutting, you'll find yourself using your shapes in a multitude of ways from sewing and quilting, to scrap booking and many other crafts! So check your stock and see which shape or shapes you need to complete or start your own set!
      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Monthly Sale
      Free e-pattern with every order throughout November!
      For every order that you place through the internet during November, you will receive a free e-pattern! In case you're not familiar with e-patterns, they work like this. We will send you an e-mail that will have an e-pattern link with it. You click the link to download the pattern to your computer, and then print it out. You don't have to do anything special to receive this, Terrye will be keeping track and sending the links out as your orders come in. Time is running out for this fabulous sale, so get it while you can!

      22 different shows to choose from.
      Be the first of your friends to enjoy Kaye's Quilting Friends, right from your computer! Now the show you know and love, can be accessed at just the click of your mouse! With 22 different shows to choose from, you will find that Kaye and her guests provide exceptional TV programming, that will offer a variety of quilting and sewing projects for every skill level. Furthermore, you can watch these shows anytime it's convenient for you! So what are you waiting for? Click that link and enjoy!

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would like to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below and it will find a place in our newsletter!
      mailto:joyce@...?subject=sharewithus

      1. I have another sewing hint for you. I like to always wash my fabric before I cut into it. Whenever I buy fabric that is more than 2 meters, or yards for my US friends, I fold the fabric accordion style. Then I safety pin the selvages together every 4-5 inches, before throwing it in the washing machine and then the dryer. I find this helps it from becoming tangled and an unruly mess of knots amongst my other clothing. After I take it out of the dryer, I undo the pins and iron the fabric. Now I'm ready to use it in my next project. Rita S., BC, Canada

      2. Hi, I am a faithful watcher and love your shows! Kaye often talks about the "pointless" people and well, I was one of them for a while. This month, I decided to make a quilt with NO MEASURING AT ALL!!! It actually worked and everyone loves it! I haven't finished it yet, but no parts have to meet any other parts at all and it's so easy! It took a while to figure it out mathematically and I think Kaye will love it! It should give her a good laugh! Please tell her I'll be sending a photo of it, when it's finished. Pat C.

      3. I just love the show and the newsletter with all the good information! I thought I would share a tip that works for me. I purchased a 99 cent mouse pad to hold my foot petal in place and it works great! Ursula F.

      4. For chain piecers. If you take a piece of wood that is about 6" by 10 or 12" and drill a hole in the center, then put your seam ripper in there real tight, you can either sit or stand and just start cutting. I leave about 1/4" between my squares when sewing them. It's much easier then cutting with scissors. Phyllis R.

      Try this fun game!
      Below we have 20 scrambled words that have to do with quilting. The first 10 people to e-mail me the correct answers, will win a fun prize! Only the people who haven't won a prize from us within the last 30 days will be qualified, so more people will have a chance to win. Please send your answers to the e-mail address below, have fun and good luck!
      mailto:joyce@...?subject=wordscramble

      1. hmleebmtlnise2. hboodcartl3. rdzrmiceee4. wpkoahtcr5. nttpoaru6. tlmmrsaaycie7. ydbrreeiom
      8. npreecuatno9. gveeedls10. ebehaarg11. ettalmpe12. gbdnaei13. wgiihsnncda14. qapeipul
      15. gdnbnii16. esbtneew17. ppgtisiln18. lsnmiu19. cphnniiuso
      20. easmreu
      Good luck!

      Last weeks winners!
      Last week we had a fun puzzle, where you define the definitions! You guys didn't disappoint us with all the many responses we received! Unfortunately, we could only award prizes to 10 players but first, here are the answers to last weeks puzzle.

      1. Pieces of fabric sewn between the blocks, to make up the quilt top. SASHING
      9. A tool that helps feed fabric through sewing machines. STILETTO
      2. A quilt top made up of single blocks, in different colored fabrics. ONE PATCH10. Standard unit of measure for fabric. YARD
      3. The middle of the quilt. BATTING11. Thin, small needles used for hand quilting. BETWEENS
      4. Individual pattern sections sewn together to make the quilt top. BLOCK12. Direction of the weave of the fabric. GRAIN
      5. A quilt made from different size pieces of scrap fabric. CRAZY QUILT13. This quilting is done in the seams that join the quilt top.
      STITCH IN THE DITCH
      6. Fabric attached to the back of the quilt so you can display it. HANGING SLEEVE14. This runs the length of the fabric and is usually thicker than the fabric. SELVEDGE
      7. The corner of a quilted border that is joined at a 45 degree angle. MITERED CORNER15. Something you can never have enough of. FABRIC, TIME, ETC., WHATEVER YOU WANTED TO PUT.
      8. Thickness of batting. LOFT

      Here is a list of our lucky winners!
      Thanks to all who participated!
      Debbie M. of Center Point, WV***Peggy M. of Roseau, MN***Debbie E. of Puyallup, WA***Laurie R. of Mesopotamia, OH***Jane Z. of Traverse City, MI***Debbie H. of Rosebud, MO***Pam Robbins of Bladwyn, MS***Vickie N. of Broken Arrow, OK***
      Janie A. of Austin, TX***Lynn G. of Fair Grove, MO

      Our Third Week Winner!
      2 free View & Do Shapes w/corresponding pattern.
      Drawn at random, let's give a big congratulations to, (drum roll) Mary Ann E. of Albuquerque, NM! She is the third winner of our weekly drawing, during the Early Bird specials! 2-View & Do Shapes with the corresponding patterns, will be shipped to her next week! Make sure you check next weeks letter to find out who our Friday pick was, it could be you!

      Have you checked out our Early Bird Christmas sale yet?
      I hope you find the time to check in on our Early Bird sales! Lots of people are taking advantage of these once a year specials and the next sale notice will be sent out tomorrow! Don't miss the boat, there are definitely some great buys to be had! Plus, every Friday, a subscriber will be drawn at random, to win a great prize! Join the fun today!

      Show & Tell
      Here are some more beautiful quilts from our readers to view! Thanks to all of you that submit and share your quilts and stories with us! I know everyone enjoys them as much as I do!

      This quilt I made for my daughter's, "Mom's For Marines" picnic she holds every year. The picnic is for families of a Marine either going to boot camp or being deployed. It gives the parents a chance to ask questions or chat with other families, that are going through the same stress factors as themselves. The quilt was raffled off and a 17 year old boy was just thrilled when he won it! Donna www.momsformarines.com

      A friend and I saw a picture of this quilt in a mail order catalog, and we both wondered how hard it would be to make it. We both tackled the project and both of us were successful! I have just finished making a second quilt, this one for my 26 year old granddaughter. Juanita

      If you'd like to check out even more wonderful quilts made by our readers, just click the link.
      You can also mail a non-returnable picture along with your story to this address;

      Funny Quips
      If I want your opinion, I'll ask you to fill out the necessary forms.
      Never drink the water.
      If it can rust iron, imagine what it can do to your stomach!
      If the left side of your brain controls the right side of your body, then only left handed people are in their right mind!
      I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either.
      Of course I don't look busy, I did it right the first time!

      Would you like updates sent to your e-mail when a new show premiers? Join our list and you'll be the first in your crowd to receive a notice!

      Kaye's all new blog.
      It's all new and written totally by Kaye, just for you! Find out what is going on in Kaye's life and the world of quilting!
      http://www.kayes-quilting-friends.blogspot.com/

      Kaye Wood Inc. Catalog
      Our catalog is available online, anytime, anywhere!
      Convenient shopping day or night!

      Want to be notified when the Deal of the Day changes?
      Just join our list and you will get an e-mail when
      there's a great new deal to be had!
      mailto:terry@...?subject=subscribe_DOD

      List your event

      A brand new quilting cruise is in the works!
      Join Kaye and the Roundbobbin group, for a fantastic Mother's Day Sew Fun Cruise!
      May 10th thru May 18th, 2008
      What better way to celebrate motherhood, than on a great cruise just for you! Pack a bag, grab your passport and set sail to these wonderful ports of call! Ft. Lauderdale, Panama, Costa Mayo and Costa Rico!
      For more info, call Bonnie at Cruise One!
      1-800-784-4480
      Or go to
      http://www.roundbobbin.com

      If you prefer to place your order by phone, you can call us toll-free at;

      This message was sent to you because you previously indicated you would like to receive announcements of new events and special promotions. To unsubscribe, click the link and send an e-mail to:
      mailto:terrye@...?subject=unsub

      Quilting E-Newsletter, Blog, Online Videos, Quilting and Sewing Ebooks and Epatterns, here, at kayewood.com!