Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Oct 9, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 9, 2007

      RSS feed

      Kaye Wood's Quilting Newsletter

      October 9, 2007

      Hey everyone, I hope your week is going well for you! I have to say, I can hardly believe it's October! It has been so warm this past week, in the upper 80's and 90's which is typically, late July and August weather for us! I was reading last years newsletter for this same week and believe it or not, I had written that they were predicting rain and SNOW for us! Crazy stuff, this weather, huh? Last year snow, this year 90 degree temps! You sure can't predict this stuff can you? I guess that's why we leave it to the professionals, right? Have a great week!
      If you'd like to download this newsletter, just click the link.
      http://www.kayewood.com/newsletter.pdf

      Don't forget to schedule your breast exam***Don't forget to schedule your breast exam***Don't forget to schedule your breast exam***Don't forget to schedule your breast exam***Don't forget to schedule your breast exam***Don't forget to schedule your breast exam***Don't forget to schedule your breast exam***Don't forget to schedule your breast exam***Don't forget to schedule your breast exam***Don't forget to schedule your breast exam***Don't forget to schedule your breast exam***

      Words of encouragement.

      When things go wrong as they sometimes will, and the road you're trudging seems all up hill,
      When the funds are low and the debts are high, and you want to smile, but have to sigh,
      When care is pressing you down a bit, rest if you must, but don't you quit!
      Life is queer with its twists and turns, as every one of us sometimes learns.
      And many a failure turns about, when he might have won had he stuck it out.
      Don't give up though the pace seems slow, you may succeed with another blow.
      Success is failure turned inside out, the silver tint of the clouds of doubt
      And you never can tell how close you are, it may be near when it seems so far
      So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit, it's when things seem worst, that you must not quit.

      Have you seen the brand new Deal of the Day?
      Deeply discounted items for 1 day only, that change twice a week! You never know what will show up for the deal of the day, but you can bet it will be a great bargain! No prior notice, you just have to keep checking to see the great buys available. Click the link for our current deal!
      http://www.kayewood.com/deal_of_the_day.html

      Check This Out!

      Elisa gives you one easy pattern, with so many ideas and variations, that you'll never get bored! This block is well known, but Elisa's styles are fresh, new and exciting! Crazy Curves comes with a paper template, but we do offer the acrylic version, for ease and accuracy. There are color pictures of 14 different quilts, including the Drunkard's Path Gone Wild! For more info on this fabulous book, just click the link.

      Last week for this great sale!

      Get into the fall season with this wonderful Straw Wreath and Pinecones pattern! For the next two weeks, when you buy this pattern, you will get the stencil for the pinecones, FREE of charge!

      Now you can bring the outdoors in with this wonderful multi-colored straw/fabric wreath! Uniquely constructed, but ever so simple, pick out the brightest colors in your stash to brighten up any wall or door! Order now and we'll also send you the one of a kind stencil, to make the accent pinecones, absolutely FREE! Read on to find out about Joan Shay's fantastic technique!

      Whether you are a beginning quilter or an expert in appliqué, Joan Shay with her 3-D Appli-bond technique, will allow you to add realistic, three-dimensional appliqué to your quilts. This technique allows you to create dimension, without turning any edges. This pattern comes complete with fabric requirements, paper templates, illustrated stitch sheet, and a list of all the items you need to make your project a success. Plus, when you buy this pattern, you will get FREE, the Petal Play Plastic Stencil that goes hand in hand with this pattern! Also suggested for your consideration, are the needles Joan Shay recommends. Each needle has 3 bayonette cutting edges and pierces the bonded fabric with ease. They are also helpful when doing the button-hole stitch on fusible appliqué. Joan promises, you won't be sorry you ordered them.
      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Monthly Sale!

      For the month of October, if you place an order of $75 or more, your s/h will be absolutely FREE! This savings will be taken off at the time of processing, and applies to US residents only.

      For our foreign customers.
      Due to the cost of shipping out of the United States, we cannot extend the free shipping offer. We will however, subtract $5 off your s/h for any order totaling $75 or more. This will be done in the office at the time of processing.
      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Come spend the day with Kaye!

      A brand new seminar is coming to the West Branch, MI area and you should attend!
      Now is your chance to meet and learn from quilting icon, Kaye Wood!

      Here's what you will learn at the Kaye Wood Lecture/Demo/Trunk Show.
      If you have attended a Kaye Wood seminar in the past, you'll be pleasantly surprised at the new quilts Kaye has made and designed since then. Visit us again and re-fresh your quilting techniques and learn all the new ideas Kaye will be sharing. Kaye's seminars are lots of fun and you'll be surprised when you learn, just how easy quilting can be! Her original techniques are guaranteed to bring you success and inspire creativity, with something to offer everyone! Get ready to laugh as Kaye shares some of the fun and crazy things that have happened to her, on the road to quilting success! Plus, Kaye will have her favorite quilts on display as she shows you step-by-step how to make them! The quilting process slowing you down? Watch Kaye demonstrate her techniques that will enhance accuracy and speed up the process of making your own quilts. Other techniques include; how to make perfect points on your hexagons and tumbling blocks. How to succeed in fussy cutting and making perfect fans, even if you're pointless! In the afternoon the fun continues as Kaye shows you ideas for octagon and hexagon Log Cabins, triangles, kaleidoscopes and much, more! Whether it be quick projects or full size quilts, get all the ideas you need to succeed! So gather your friends, call your guilds, and head to Northern Michigan for a fun day with Kaye!

      Tuesday, November 13, 2007
      10:30 am-2:30 pm
      West Branch, MI at the Forwards Conference Center.
      Ticket Price: $30.00
      (ticket price includes a soup and sandwich buffet)
      Reserve your spot by calling 1-800-248-5293 or e-mail
      kathleen@...

      Take a look at KayeWoodTV.com!
      22 different shows to choose from!

      Be the first of your friends to enjoy Kaye's Quilting Friends, right from your computer! Now, the show you know and love can be accessed at just the click of your mouse! With 22 different shows to choose from, you will find that Kaye and her guests provide exceptional TV programming, that will offer a variety of quilting and sewing projects for every skill level. Furthermore, you can access these shows anytime it's convenient for you! So what are you waiting for? Click that link and enjoy!

      Sites to See!

      We want your tips!

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share?
      We are always open to new things and would like to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below and it will find a place in our newsletter!
      mailto:joyce@...?subject=sharewithus

      1) To keep my different type of machine needles separate but still handy, I use a pin cushion. I use one that has distinct sections or I divide it using a marker. A simple letter in marker denoting what that are such as U for Universal, tells me where I need to put them when I'm done with that needle. Gloria D., BC, Canada

      2) Whenever I have smaller pieces of batting left over, I use them for dusting around my house and sewing room. Even the sweepers with the throw away pads, will hold a good size piece of batting for picking stuff off of your flooring. Marylou H., Fenton, MI

      3) My friend shared this tip with me and it has worked really well. When I get ready to sandwich my quilt, I use a yardstick to smooth out the wrinkles. Make sure your yardstick is smooth on the side so it doesn't catch on the batting. Shirley S., Ocala, FL

      4) Not sure if this has been shared before, but just in case, here it is. I find it takes so much time when I'm doing a project of sewing and embroidery, if I have more than one design to do. Now I gather all of my thread for each project/design, and put them in one of my recycled meat trays. (The ones that are about 6 x 8 and about one inch deep.) I use a thread stand of course, but as I am ready to start the next design, I take the next tray and load the threads on the stand. Saves a lot of time and the trays stack with the threads in them. This works too with pattern pieces, keeping them together. Sharon B., Lakewood, WA

      Show & Tell

      FYI: We had a little problem with our Show & Tell page crashing. We managed to recover the pictures, but not the beautiful stories that go with them. If you'd like to send your story or info again, go to the Show & Tell page, find your quilt and copy and paste it in an e-mail, along with your story and send it to Terrye. I tested this method out and it did work. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause, but we do want people to get their rightful recognition.

      If you'd like to check out more wonderful quilts made by our readers, just click the link.

      You can also mail a non-returnable picture along with your story to this address;

      Did You Know?

      Did you know that if your quilt isn't properly appraised and the unthinkable happens, chances of being compensated for your quilt is slim to none? If you have a quilt of value or even if it is valuable to only you, you should think about getting it appraised, by a professional appraiser. If you are unsure of their qualifications, do not be afraid to ask for a resume to check on them and their credentials. Don't let things such as theft, fire or accident keep you from being reimbursed by the insurance company, get an appraisal today! Here are a few links that may help you in this endeavor.

      Professional Association of Appraisers
      http://quiltappraisers.org

      Quilt Heritage ListServ's List of Quilt Appraisers
      http://www.quilthistory.com.quilt.htm

      American Quilter's Society List of Certified Quilt Appraisers
      http://www.americanquilter.com/members/appraisers/

      Pink ribbons and more!
      Most people know when you see the pink, crossed ribbon, it symbolizes fighting breast cancer. Do you know what all the other colored ribbons you see signify? Each color is for a different cause. If you are interested in checking what these different types mean, just click the link.
      http://www.trinitylondon.com/awareness-ribbon-meanings.asp#blackribbon

      Would you like updates sent to your e-mail when a new show premieres? Join our list and you'll be the first in your crowd to know when a new show is airing!
      mailto:kathleen@...?subject=subscribe

      Kaye's all new blog.
      It's all new and written totally by Kaye, just for you! Keep in touch with Kaye and find out what is going on in her life and the world of quilting.
      http://www.kayes-quilting-friends.blogspot.com/

      Kaye Wood Inc. Catalog
      Our brand new catalog is available online, anytime, anywhere! Convenient shopping day or night.

      Are you a list-a-holic? Don't worry, you're not alone!
      We have a new list, why not join today? What kind of list is it? It's an "update list" for the Deal of the Day page. When you sign up for this list, you'll get a short e-mail every time we update these fantastic deals. You won't have to remember to check the page, we do the remembering for you.
      Simply e-mail Terrye at
      mailto:terrye@...?subject=subscribe_DOD and we'll put you on the list!

      List your event

      Have a question or just want a quilting buddy? This is the place for you! Tons of quilters are just waiting to talk and share!

      Words to live by.

      We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
      Dream as if you'll live forever... live as if you'll die today.
      When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place.
      Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

      A new quilting cruise is in the works!
      Join Kaye and the Roundbobbin group, for a fantastic Mother's Day Sew Fun Cruise!
      May 10th thru May 18th, 2008.
      What better way to celebrate motherhood, than on a great cruise just for you! Pack a bag, grab your passport and set sail to these wonderful ports of call!
      Ft. Lauderdale
      Panama
      Costa Mayo
      Costa Rico

      For more info, call Bonnie at Cruise One!
      1-800-784-4480
      Or go to
      http://www.roundbobbin.com

      If you prefer to place your order by phone, you can call us toll-free at;

      Unsubscribe detail:
      This message was sent to you because you previously indicated you would like to receive announcements of new events and special promotions. To unsubscribe, click the link and send an e-mail to:
      mailto:terrye@...?subject=unsub

      Quilting E-Newsletter, Blog, Online Videos, Quilting and Sewing Ebooks and Epatterns, here, at kayewood.com!