Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Aug 28, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28, 2007

      RSS feed

      Kaye Wood's Quilting Newsletter

      Tuesday August 28, 2007

      Hey everyone, August is winding down along with the end of summer. If you're like most people, you're planning to have one last fling, with the upcoming Labor Day weekend. It's the last 3-day weekend of summer, so get out and enjoy it! Here's a little history lesson on Labor Day and how it came to be.

      Did you know that the Labor Day holiday is over 100 years old? It was started by the Knights of Labor in 1882 and originated in New York, as a day to celebrate the working class. The Knights of Labor held a big parade in New York City in 1884. After this parade, it was decided that from there on out, the parade was to be held on the first Monday in September, and was to be called Labor Day. It started kind of slow, but then built up steam as more and more states adopted this day. Finally, in the year of 1894, Congress passed a law recognizing Labor Day as a national holiday. Labor Day has evolved and seems not so much about celebrating the working class, as the unofficial end of summer and an extra day off work. So if you are lucky enough to be able to celebrate Labor Day, send up a little thank you to our ancestors, for making it possible.
      To download our newsletter, just click the link.
      http://www.kayewood.com/newsletter.pdf

      Have you seen the brand new Deal of the Day?

      Deeply discounted items for 1 day only, that change twice a week! You never know what will show up for the deal of the day, but you can bet it will be a great bargain! No prior notice, you just have to keep checking to see the great buys available. Click the link for our current deal!
      http://www.kayewood.com/deal_of_the_day.html

      Check This Out!

      A fabulous bag pattern from Joan Hawley called the City Bag!

      Is it a purse, a briefcase or a carry-all? You decide! The versatile City Bag is perfect for any or all 3 purposes! Measuring 11 x 17, it features a ton of pockets for all the essentials, is fully lined and has a shoulder strap and handles. Use any standard zipper and find out how easy it is to put that zipper in, using Lazy Girl's trademark, "No-Fear" zipper installation technique! Awesome in looks but wonderfully functional, the City Bag is the way to go! Click the link for more info.

      Last week for this sale!

      Last chance for these limited time patterns!

      Simply Feathers/Charm Flys/Rabbit Cove

      Patterns for our "Check This Out" feature are available for a limited time only. These patterns time will soon expire, so get them while you can! Buy 1, 2 or all 3 of these patterns, and your s/h will be only 99 cents! We apologize, but this offer good only in the U.S.
      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Monthly Special!

      Time is running out to get Kaye Wood's Strip-Cut Quilts book for $12!

      You really need to check out this fantastic book by Kaye Wood called, Strip-Cut Quilts! There is sooo much information in this book, I don't know where to begin! Strip-Cut Quilts is 96 pages big, with over 200 illustrations, 30 projects and 23 quilt block techniques! More than 30 color photos let you see how grand the projects truly are! This book is great for the beginner on up to the advanced quilter, with projects to suit every skill level. Enjoy a trip through the seasons with quilt patterns such as Glacier Ice, Spring Rain, Flying Gander and Rainbow Sherbert. Create a beautiful Christmas table runner or be swept away as Kokopelli Plays Again! Southwest Crossing and the Painted Desert patterns will transport you to the Southwest! Techniques include fussy cutting, tree borders, flying geese, topless triangles and much, much more! Tips include everything from fabric preparation, accurate cutting, measuring and pressing tips, to squaring up your blocks, borders, sashing and mitered corners. Strip-Cut Quilts uses Kaye's Starmaker 8 and has a paper template included, although we offer and recommend the acrylic version for greater accuracy and ease. This book normally retails for $19.95, but through the month of August you can purchase it for $12 plus the cost of s/h! That's a steal of a deal and the lowest price of the season for this book, that is a must have for anyone who loves Kaye's patterns and techniques!

      There's a brand new show being featured on KayeWoodTV.com!

      If hearts are what you love, and who doesn't, right? This new show featuring Kaye's Pinwheel Hearts pattern is for you! This pattern has complete instructions for quilts that are sized for wallhangings, up to the big, king sized bed quilt! Kaye also includes several variations for mitered borders and a hanging sleeve. Just click the link and you can watch Kaye making this beautiful quilt right now on KayeWoodTV.com!
      http://www.kayewoodtv.com/ktv.html

      Be the first of your friends to enjoy Kaye's Quilting Friends, right from your computer! Now, the show you know and love can be accessed at just the click of your mouse! With 15 different shows to choose from, you will find that Kaye and her guests provide exceptional TV programming, that will offer a variety of quilting and sewing projects for every skill level. Furthermore, you can access these shows anytime it's convenient for you! So what are you waiting for? Click that link and enjoy!

      Come see Kaye at a FREE seminar in her hometown of West Branch, at the annual Quilt Walk!

      If you live close by or even if you don't, schedule your color tour around West Branch, MI and their annual Quilt Walk! Starting October 4th thru October 6th, West Branch is the quilting place to be! Come view the best quilting in the area in the lovely backdrop of beautiful, Victorian West Branch! Internationally known teacher and local resident, our own Kaye Wood, will provide free seminars on both the 4th and 5th, from 9-10 am, at the West Branch Public Library! Kaye will share her tips, tricks and techniques to make your quilting experience easier and more enjoyable! There will be ideas for lots of projects for the beginner up to the more advanced! For more information on this Quilt Walk, just click the link.
      http://www.wbacc.com

      Share With Us

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would like to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below and it will find a place in our newsletter!
      mailto:joyce@...?subject=sharewithus

      1) To aid in threading my sewing machine, I use the "serge" threading tweezers. Also, when I am trying to thread the invisible thread, I first put a small amount of fingernail polish on the first inch or so of the thread. This makes it easier to see and can be threaded easier. After I get it in the needle and pull the thread, I cut off the polished end. Makes for less frustration and quicker threading. Joyce A.

      2) I have a great tip for threading my sewing machine needle. I hold a small white piece of paper behind my needle eye with my right hand, so I can see the eye better. I then put the thread through the eye of the needle with my left hand. Of course, vice versa if you are left handed. It works every time for me!! Thanks, Pat B. from Brookston, IN

      3) Threading the needle is easier if you clip a new thread end, then moisten the eye of the needle, not the thread. Ines

      4) For those having problems threading the needles, if you moisten the backside of the needle eye, the thread will magically go through the eye and voila! Needle threaded! I was skeptical , but it truly works! Lila

      Show & Tell

      FYI: We had a little problem with our Show & Tell page crashing. We managed to recover the pictures, but not the beautiful stories that go with them. If you'd like to send your story or info again, go to the Show & Tell page, find your quilt and copy and paste it in an e-mail, along with your story and send it to Terrye. I tested this method out and it did work. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause, but we do want people to get their rightful recognition.

      If you'd like to check out more wonderful quilts made by our readers, just click the link.

      You can also mail a non-returnable picture along with your story to this address;

      I've Learned....

      I've learned that if someone says something unkind about me, I must live so that no one will believe it.
      I've learned that children and grandparents are natural allies.
      I've learned that silent company is often more healing than words of advice.
      I've learned that as you pursue happiness, it will elude you. If you focus on family, the needs of others and doing the very best you can, happiness will find you.
      I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one.
      I've learned that the greater a person's sense of guilt, the greater their need to cast blame on others.
      I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance.
      I've learned that it pays to believe in miracles.
      I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catchers mitt on both hands. You need to be able to throw something back.

      Useful Links

      Kaye's all new blog.
      It's all new and written totally by Kaye, just for you! Keep in touch with Kaye and find out what is going on in her life and the world of quilting.
      http://www.kayes-quilting-friends.blogspot.com/

      Kaye Wood Inc. Catalog
      Our brand new catalog is available online, anytime, anywhere! Convenient shopping day or night.

      List your event

      Have a question or just want a quilting buddy? This is the place for you! Tons of quilters are just waiting to talk and share!

      Do you want to be alerted every time we add or change something on our site?
      Go here
      http://www.google.com/alerts and enter http://www.kayewood.com
      You'll get notices right to your e-mail!

      A new quilting cruise is in the works!
      Join Kaye and the Roundbobbin group, for a fantastic Mother's Day Sew Fun Cruise!
      May 10th thru May 18th, 2008

      What better way to celebrate motherhood, than on a great cruise just for you! Pack a bag, grab your passport and set sail to these wonderful ports of call!

      • Ft. Lauderdale
      • Panama
      • Costa Mayo
      • Costa Rico

      For more info, call Bonnie at Cruise One!
      1-800-784-4480
      Or go to
      http://www.roundbobbin.com

      Other sites to see.

      "Let the Sugar Shack share in your passion for quilting."

      http://www.sugar-shack.ca/cms/

      If you prefer to place your order by phone, you can call us toll-free at;

      Unsubscribe detail:
      This message was sent to you because you previously indicated you would like to receive announcements of new events and special promotions. To unsubscribe, click the link and send an e-mail to:
      mailto:terrye@...?subject=unsub

      Quilting E-Newsletter, Blog, Online Videos, Quilting and Sewing Ebooks and Epatterns, here, at kayewood.com!