Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Aug 14, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 14, 2007

      Tuesday August 14, 2007

      Hey everyone! Things are pretty mellow here in N. Michigan with summer winding down very nicely. I was outside the other night, trying to view some of the meteor showers when I started thinking. I could not remember, the last time that I just sat and looked at the stars! Now that is pitiful considering I live in the country and the sky is full of them every clear night. I used to do this a lot when I was younger, just lay on a blanket in the grass and watch the heavens. I'm not sure when I stopped this practice, but it kind of bothered me. Has my life gotten so busy, that I'm forgetting to enjoy the beautiful things that surround me every day? So I have taken a vow, to try and watch the sun rise and set a couple of times a week. To sit on the deck and just breath in the fresh air. To get out and contemplate a beautiful, star filled night sky with my daughter. Life should never be so busy that you forget the simple pleasures around you!
      To download our newsletter, just click the link.
      http://www.kayewood.com/newsletter.pdf

      Quilt Show

      Went to a quilt show and what did I see?
      More kinds of quilts than I thought there could be!
      There were huge ones and minis and lots in between.
      Combinations of colors, that I've never seen.
      Some quilts were triangles, others all squares.
      I saw appliquéd angels, rabbits and bears.
      I saw fanciful shapes and stars all aglow.
      All the quilts with no ribbons and the grand Best of Show!
      I never have known, such excitement before.
      When is the next show? I want to see more!
      Author, Unknown

      Have you seen the brand new Deal of the Day?

      Deeply discounted items for 1 day only, that change twice a week! You never know what will show up for the deal of the day, but you can bet it will be a great bargain! No prior notice, you just have to keep checking to see the great buys available. Click the link for our current deal!
      http://www.kayewood.com/deal_of_the_day.html

      Check This Out!

      A brand new book is now available by our friend the Junk Jeans lady, Luveta Nickels!

      Fresh off the press, we have the brand new book Junk Jeans Extreme Make-overs available now! This wonderful book takes using your junk jeans to the next level with 16 new projects! Plus, the whole book is in color and along with the instructions, you get actual photographs of Luveta making the projects, not illustrations! No tracing or enlarging necessary because full-sized tissue patterns for each project are included! So if you have old jeans laying around, and we know you do, this is a must have book for you! Click the link for additional info.

      Last week for this great sale!

      Buy the Autumn Splendor Pattern with the Sew Easy Triangle Paper and get the DVD of that show absolutely FREE!!!

      Just in time for fall is the Autumn Splendor table runner! Just think how beautiful this would look on your table at home! The perfect blend of autumn colors, will definitely put you in the fall mood! A breeze to do with the Sew Easy Triangle paper, it measures 15" x 52" and would make a wonderful gift for your friends or yourself. Read on to find out more info on the Sew Easy Triangle Paper.

      What is Sew Easy Triangle Paper and how does it work? Sew Easy Triangles are a printed grid on fusible paper, that enables the sewer to make precise half-square triangles, quarter-square triangles and reversible prairie points, with no trouble at all! Sandwich two fabrics right sides together and fuse a page of Sew Easy Triangle Paper in place with a hot, dry iron. No pinning is necessary! Stitch on the dotted sewing lines, no marking is necessary, cut on the cutting lines, peel the paper and press open! There is no squaring up involved at all, your triangles are ready to go into a project in no time! Sew Easy Triangles can be used with any pattern, but you will need to know the finished size of the triangle units you will be making. (Size without seam allowances added on.)

      But don't forget our added bonus! When you buy the Autumn Splendor Pattern with the Sew Easy Triangle Paper, you will get the DVD of that show from Kaye's Quilting Friends, absolutely FREE! This is a savings of $18 to you! This special is good for the next two weeks, so order today!
      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Monthly Special!

      Kaye Wood's Strip-Cut Quilts book for $12!

      Our new special is a fantastic book by Kaye Wood called, Strip-Cut Quilts! There is sooo much information in this book, I don't know where to begin! Strip-Cut Quilts is 96 pages big, with over 200 illustrations, 30 projects and 23 quilt block techniques! More than 30 color photos let you see how grand the projects truly are! This book is great for the beginner on up to the advanced quilter, with projects to suit every skill level. Enjoy a trip through the seasons with quilt patterns such as Glacier Ice, Spring Rain, Flying Gander and Rainbow Sherbert. Create a beautiful Christmas table runner or be swept away as Kokopelli Plays Again! Southwest Crossing and the Painted Desert patterns will transport you to the Southwest! Techniques include fussy cutting, tree borders, flying geese, topless triangles and much, much more! Tips include everything from fabric preparation, accurate cutting, measuring and pressing tips, to squaring up your blocks, borders, sashing and mitered corners. Strip-Cut Quilts uses Kaye's Starmaker 8 and has a paper template included, although we offer and recommend the acrylic version for greater accuracy and ease. This book normally retails for $19.95, but through the month of August you can purchase it for $12 plus the cost of s/h! That's a steal of a deal and the lowest price of the season for this book, that is a must have for anyone who loves Kaye's patterns and techniques!

      Did you see the new show, Victorian Elegance?

      Watch as Linda Everhart joins Kaye and shares her original techniques on fused, reverse appliqué's, allowing you to create two blocks from just one cut! This beautiful Victorian Elegance quilt measures a roomy 73" x 91" and you can watch it being done on KayeWoodTV.com right now! Just click the link to begin enjoying this new show to our line up!
      http://www.kayewoodtv.com/ktv.html

      Be the first of your friends to enjoy Kaye's Quilting Friends, right from your computer! Now, the show you know and love can be accessed at just the click of your mouse! With 15 different shows to choose from, you will find that Kaye and her guests provide exceptional TV programming, that will offer a variety of quilting and sewing projects for every skill level. Furthermore, you can access these shows anytime it's convenient for you! So what are you waiting for? Click that link and enjoy!

      Share With Us

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would like to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below and it will find a place in our newsletter!

      Hey, we're getting low!
      If you like this feature in the newsletter, send us your photos! We know you have tons of projects you can't wait to show off, so send them in!

      I'm really into the big cats, so when I saw this pattern in a quilting book, I knew I had to try and make it. I bought extra fabric and from the diagonal pieces out to the edge, I enlarged it to fit my queen-size bed as a bedspread. Donna

      My granddaughter's birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks. She likes bright colors and you can't get much brighter than this. She'll really be surprised! Donna

      My daughter is 36 years old and has leukemia for the 3rd time. She has lost her hair several times and gets cold so, since she loves bears, I made this for her. This quilt pattern is Bear Paws.
      Donna

      If you'd like to check out more wonderful quilts made by our readers, just click the link.
      You can also mail a non-returnable picture along with your story to this address;

      Did You Know?

      Did you ever wonder where some of the different quilt variations started? Well here are a few of those for you.

      Feed Sacks-Feed sacks were used instead of fabric in a lot of quilts made during the Great Depression of the 1930's.
      Amish Quilts-Amish people migrated from Switzerland and Germany to the US in the early 1700's. Their trademark quilts are made in bright and somber, solid colors. Their patterns are usually large medallions that are heavily quilted, with elaborate feathered scrolls and cables.
      Crazy Quilt-Crazy Quilts peaked in popularity during the Victorian Era. They were made of pieces of fabric, any kind pretty much, randomly sewn together. Usually tied, often bits of ribbon or lace were added with fancy embroidery stitches.
      Linsey-Woolsey-One of the earliest fabrics used in American quilts was linsey-woolsey. This was a a strong durable fabric that consisted of a linen warp and wool weft. The name of the fabric came from the village of Linsey in Sussex, England.
      Hawaiian Quilts-Quilting came to Hawaii in 1820 via missionaries from New England. Most Hawaiian quilts are made from whole pieces of solid colored fabric. Large appliquéd patterns are placed over a neutral colored background, with the designs being inspired by the natural beauty of Hawaii.
      Humility Block-The humility block was a block that was pieced incorrectly on purpose, and placed in the lower, right hand section of the quilt. The reasoning behind this being that only God was perfect, so mere mortals should not try to make a perfect quilt.
      Cheater Cloth-Cheater cloth is exactly as the name states. Cloth with a quilt block pattern printed on it, instead of a quilt pattern made by different pieces of cloth, cut and sewn together. This fabric was around in the 1850's, with the first imitation being chintz patches. In the early 1900's, patterns such as Charm Quilts and Log Cabin became available in a cheater cloth variety. Sears offered cheater cloth in patterns such as Grandmother's Flower Garden and Dresden Plate in the 1930's.
      Log Cabin-In the US, the Log Cabin quilt became popular in the mid-nineteenth century. The Log Cabin pattern consists of strips of fabric, sewn around a square fabric center. The center square was traditionally red, to denote the fire on the hearth of the cabin. By carefully placing light and dark fabrics, different patterns were formed. These were known as Barn Raising, Court House Steps and Straight Furrow. Log Cabin quilts were usually tied back then, since it was hard to quilt through the many seams.
      Drunkards Path-The Drunkards Path was seen in the later part of the 19th century. As the Temperance movement grew, many women expressed their affiliation the the group in these quilts. The colors also represented the Temperance movement with pieced fabrics of blue and white.

      Other Sites To See

      http://www.midnightskyfibers.com

      Always Open Quilt Shop
      Click the link to find out what's new at the Always Open Quilt Shop!
      http://www.alwaysopenquiltshop.com

      Two new patterns and kits! My Grandmother's Apron pattern available in children and adult sizes. Sassy Sixteen kit available with three different fabric choices!

      Plain and Simple Quilt Store

      Soon to be teaching Kaye's techniques here! Call or come in for additional information!

      Plain and Simple Quilt Store
      1510 N. Salem St.
      Apex, NC 27502
      1-919-303-6176

      Fun Phrases!

      A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.
      Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
      My opinions may have changed, but the fact that I'm right hasn't!
      If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.
      Nobody notices what I do, until I don't do it.
      Birthdays are good for you, the more you have the longer you live.
      An egotist has one point in his favor, he doesn't go around talking about other people!
      Of course I don't look busy, I did it right the first time!

      A new quilting cruise is in the works!
      Join Kaye and the Roundbobbin group, for a fantastic Mother's Day Sew Fun Cruise!
      May 10th thru May 18th, 2008

      What better way to celebrate motherhood, than on a great cruise just for you! Pack a bag, grab your passport and set sail to these wonderful ports of call!

      • Ft. Lauderdale
      • Panama
      • Costa Mayo
      • Costa Rico

      For more info, call Bonnie at Cruise One!
      1-800-784-4480
      Or go to
      http://www.roundbobbin.com

      Useful Links

      Kaye's all new blog.
      It's all new and written totally by Kaye, just for you! Keep in touch with Kaye and find out what is going on in her life and the world of quilting.
      http://www.kayes-quilting-friends.blogspot.com/

      Kaye Wood Inc. Catalog
      Our brand new catalog is available online, anytime, anywhere! Convenient shopping day or night.

      List your event

      Have a question or just want a quilting buddy? This is the place for you! Tons of quilters are just waiting to talk and share!

      Did you know?

      Did you know we have 3 different formats of our newsletter? If you don't like the one you get now, why not try it in a different way?

      HTML-Includes pictures and formatted text. Comes to your e-mail complete.
      TEXT-Just what it says, only the text, no pictures. A little easier on your computer memory and perfect if you have dial-up or pay for bandwidth.
      LINK-A link is sent to your e-mail. Just click and it will take you to our newsletter page.

      If you'd like to try a different version, just e-mail Terrye and she can make the change. If the new version you pick doesn't work out, Terrye can always switch you back to the original one.

      mailto:terrye@...?subject=switch_me

      If you prefer to place your order by phone, you can call us toll-free at;

      Unsubscribe detail:
      This message was sent to you because you previously indicated you would like to receive announcements of new events and special promotions. To unsubscribe, click the link and send an e-mail to:
      mailto:terrye@...?subject=unsub

      Quilting E-Newsletter, Blog, Online Videos, Quilting and Sewing Ebooks and Epatterns, here, at kayewood.com!