Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Aug. 7, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2007

      Tuesday August 7th, 2007

      Our Home Page

      Hey everyone! Well, the "official" last month of summer is here! Soon we'll see the familiar signs of "back to school", with yellow buses and kids with backpacks everywhere you look. Summertime is winding down and fall will be here before we know it. It's the perfect time to start planning your fall/winter projects! You know when it gets cold, you definitely spend more time inside, so start dreaming and thinking of the things you'd like to make. Make a list of potential products you might need to get and of course, check your stash for things you might already have. If you do it a little at a time now, when you're really ready to start, you'll be all set!
      To download our newsletter, just click the link.
      Here is a poem you might like.

      Life is like a patchwork quilt and each little patch is a day.
      Some patches are rosy, happy and bright, some are dark and gray.
      But each little patch as it's fitted in and sewn to keep it together,
      Makes a finished block in this life of ours, filled with sun and rainy weather.
      So let me work on life's patchwork quilt, through rainy days and sun.
      Trusting that when I have finished my block, the Master may say, "Well done".
      Author: Elizabeth Ryan DeCoursey

      Have you seen the brand new Deal of the Day?

      Deeply discounted items for 1 day only, that change twice a week! You never know what will show up for the deal of the day, but you can bet it will be a great bargain! No prior notice, you just have to keep checking to see the great buys available. Click the link for our current deal!

      Check This Out!

      A great couch caddy pattern by Joan Hawley of Lazy Girl Designs!
      After you make one of these, you will definitely wonder how you ever got along without it!

      Have you ever done this? You just get settled into your easy chair to do a little sewing and watch some television, when you can't find your remote or your scissors! Wouldn't it be nice to have them organized and right at hand, ready when you need them? Well, if you had a Couch Caddy, these problems would be a thing of the past! This handy organizer measures in at 10" x 21" and requires less than one yard of fabric, and only about an hours time to make! No more searching to find your essentials, you will have them close at hand when you need them! Make one for all your family and friends! Click the link for additional info.

      New Sale Starting!

      Buy the Autumn Splendor Pattern with the Sew Easy Triangle Paper and get the DVD of that show absolutely FREE!!!

      Just in time for fall is the Autumn Splendor table runner! Just think how beautiful this would look on your table at home! The perfect blend of autumn colors, will definitely put you in the fall mood! Easy to do with the Sew Easy Triangle paper, it measures 15" x 52" and would make a wonderful gift for your friends or yourself. Read on to find out more info on the Sew Easy Triangle Paper.

      What is Sew Easy Triangle Paper and how does it work? Sew Easy Triangles are a printed grid on fusible paper, that enables the sewer to make precise half-square triangles, quarter-square triangles and reversible prairie points, with no trouble at all! Sandwich two fabrics right sides together and fuse a page of Sew Easy Triangle Paper in place with a hot, dry iron. No pinning is necessary! Stitch on the dotted sewing lines, no marking is necessary, cut on the cutting lines, peel the paper and press open! There is no squaring up involved at all, your triangles are ready to go into a project in no time! Sew Easy Triangles can be used with any pattern, but you will need to know the finished size of the triangle units you will be making. (Size without seam allowances added on.)

      But don't forget our added bonus! When you buy the Autumn Splendor Pattern with the Sew Easy Triangle Paper, you will get the DVD of that show from Kaye's Quilting Friends, absolutely FREE! This is a savings of $18 to you! This special good is for the next two weeks, so order today!

      Brand new monthly special!

      Kaye Wood's Strip-Cut Quilts book for $12!

      Our new special is a fantastic book by Kaye Wood called, Strip-Cut Quilts! There is sooo much information in this book, I don't know where to begin! Strip-Cut Quilts is 96 pages big, with over 200 illustrations, 30 projects and 23 quilt block techniques! More than 30 color photos let you see how grand the projects truly are! This book is great for the beginner on up to the advanced quilter, with projects to suit every skill level. Enjoy a trip through the seasons with quilt patterns such as Glacier Ice, Spring Rain, Flying Gander and Rainbow Sherbert. Create a beautiful Christmas table runner or be swept away as Kokopelli Plays Again! Southwest Crossing and the Painted Desert patterns will transport you to the Southwest! Techniques include fussy cutting, tree borders, flying geese, topless triangles and much, much more! Tips include everything from fabric preparation, accurate cutting, measuring and pressing tips, to squaring up your blocks, borders, sashing and mitered corners. Strip-Cut Quilts uses Kaye's Starmaker 8 and has a paper template included, although we offer and recommend the acrylic version for greater accuracy and ease. This book normally retails for $19.95, but through the month of August you can purchase it for $12 plus the cost of s/h! That's a steal of a deal and the lowest price of the season for this book, that is a must have for anyone who loves Kaye's patterns and techniques!
      Some projects from Strip-Cut Quilts.

      Take a look at KayeWoodTV.com!

      Another new show has been added...Victorian Elegance!

      Watch as Linda Everhart joins Kaye and shares her original techniques on fused, reverse appliqué, allowing you to create two blocks from just one cut! This beautiful Victorian Elegance quilt measures a roomy 73" x 91" and you can watch it being done on KayeWoodTV.com right now! Just click the link to begin enjoying this new show to our line up!

      Be the first of your friends to enjoy Kaye's Quilting Friends, right from your computer! Now, the show you know and love can be accessed at just the click of your mouse! With 15 different shows to choose from, you will find that Kaye and her guests provide exceptional TV programming, that will offer a variety of quilting and sewing projects for every skill level. Furthermore, you can access these shows anytime it's convenient for you! So what are you waiting for? Click that link and enjoy!

      The survey says...

      In last weeks letter, we had one of our fun surveys. As usual, we received an overwhelming amount of responses! I have to tell you, we just love all the participation and the time you take to give us your opinion on these. So a big thanks to all who replied, we'll have a few of your responses following the results, and thanks again! Here is the question:

      Which is your favorite way to buy quilt supplies?
      A) Quilt shop or store
      B) Mail order-via internet or phone
      C) Quilt shows

      Our big winner was A-quilt shop or store, followed closely by B-mail order via internet or phone. C-received the least amount of votes. Here are some of your comments.

      1) Joyce; Good survey! I can't pick one of the A, B or C. I buy quilt fabric wherever I am and when I find what I like. If I see something on the internet, then that's it. In a quilt shop they have lots to choose from and also at quilt shows, there are numerous patterns, so I will buy it there. The main thing is to get what I want. Audrey N.

      2) My favorite way is B. I have had wonderful experiences purchasing fabric online. Caring people have phoned me at times to verify my order, explain something, and advise me of delays in shipping. Thanks to all! Kathleen L.

      3) My favorite way would be a quilt shop, but here in the few we have, they rarely have the notions, tools or books I am looking for, so I order from the internet. Debbie R.

      4) My favorite way to buy quilt supplies? I use both methods, mail order and quilt shows. I enjoy the shows because they have so many choices, it's like Christmas morning! You have so many things to look at and try, which one first? There are so many options in quilting, that's why it's my favorite hobby. It never gets old or dull and there's something new and exciting around every corner! Vera E.

      Share With Us

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would like hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below and it will find a place in our newsletter!

      1) I have made so far, two Sassy Bags and a Veronica Bag. I'm now working on two Chloe bags for an upcoming cruise. I have also made a matching Wonder Wallet for each one. They are adorable and I will be able to travel light. They hold just enough and on the ship one only needs ones plastic cruise card, which can be carried in the bags with just enough room, for any "baubles" one purchases on board. The bags were all easy to make as were the wallets. Thanks you Lazy Girls! Rosslyn C.

      2) I use the magnetic business cards to mark my 1/4 inch on my sewing machine. Even though my machine has the 1/4 inch foot, I use it at the front to make sure I keep it a straight 1/4 inch. I hope this idea will help any new quilter or well, just anyone. Debbie C.

      3) I use a silver letter opener instead of a stiletto. The point and edges are smooth and don't damage the fabric, and the flat edge eases the fabric under the foot better. Astrid B.

      Show & Tell

      Hey, we're getting low!
      If you like this feature in the newsletter, send us your photos! We know you have tons of projects you can't wait to show off, so send them in!

      On your site, you were asking for people who have made the windmill quilt, to send you pictures. Attached are pictures of one of the windmill quilts I made, after buying the pattern at the Sewing Expo in Novi last year. Our quilting guild, the Howell Melon Patchers, donate quilts to the Veterans Hospital. So I decided to make this one in red, off white and blue for the vets. I really enjoyed making it and it turned out great! Judy
      This quilt is a block of the month from our local quilt shop. The finishing was a challenge but pleasing the way the borders are part of the design. It will be given to my son and his family for their new home. Ginny

      If you'd like to check out more wonderful quilts made by our readers, just click the link.
      You can also mail a non-returnable picture along with your story to this address;

      Fun Phrases!

      • Cleaning your house while your kids are still there, is like clearing the drive before it has stopped snowing.
      • Children. You spend the first 2 years of their life teaching them to walk and talk. You spend the next 16 telling them to sit down and be quiet!
      • I'm in shape. Round is a shape isn't it?
      • Middle age is when the broadness of the mind and the narrowness of the waist, change places.
      • I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
      • I intend to live forever, so far so good.
      • A diet is when you have to go to some length to change your width.

      A new quilting cruise is in the works!
      Join Kaye and the Roundbobbin group, for a fantastic Mother's Day Sew Fun Cruise!
      May 10th thru May 18th, 2008

      What better way to celebrate motherhood, than on a great cruise just for you! Pack a bag, grab your passport and set sail to these wonderful ports of call!

      • Ft. Lauderdale
      • Panama
      • Costa Mayo
      • Costa Rico

      For more info, call Bonnie at Cruise One!
      Or go to

      Useful Links

      Kaye's all new blog.
      It's all new and written totally by Kaye, just for you! Keep in touch with Kaye and find out what is going on in her life and the world of quilting.

      Kaye Wood Inc. Catalog
      Our brand new catalog is available online, anytime, anywhere! Convenient shopping day or night.

      List your event

      Have a question or just want a quilting buddy? This is the place for you! Tons of quilters are just waiting to talk and share!

      If you prefer to place your order by phone, you can call us toll-free at;

      Unsubscribe detail:
      This message was sent to you because you previously indicated you would like to receive announcements of new events and special promotions. To unsubscribe, click the link and send an e-mail to:

      Quilting E-Newsletter, Blog, Online Videos, Quilting and Sewing Ebooks and Epatterns, here, at kayewood.com!