Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, May 31, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2007

      Wednesday, May 30, 2007

      Hey everyone! We had a fabulous Memorial weekend here in West Branch, MI! The weather couldn't have been more perfect! There were plenty of activities, parades and events to keep just about anyone occupied. Add a barbecue, family and friends, and you just about have a party! The dog days of summer are just ahead of us, so we're enjoying this milder weather while we can! Have a great week!

      Take a look at this wonderful pattern from Margie Engel called, Rabbit Cove XYZ!

      Bundle up your special little people in this fantastic 50" x 56" letter quilt! Rabbits play and frolic all over, as they help the little ones recognize their letters. A delightful way to use a variety of fabrics, your choices for the background, may correspond to the letter. Such as apples behind A, bees with B, etc. Paper templates are included for each of the letters that you will appliqué. Also, the blocks can be adjusted, to place the name wherever you wish! This pattern offers several designs to assist you! Make learning fun as they cozy up under this beautiful quilt! Click the link for more info.

      What's On Sale?
      Buy the Just Country Pattern (templates included) and get the DVD of that show from Kaye's Quilting Friends, absolutely FREE!!!

      Brought to you by our good friend Brandy, check out the Just Country Pattern, aka Crazy Strippin! This pattern is so much fun, you will just love it! No extra tools to buy, the acrylic templates are included with this pattern, so you can make blocks in 4, 6, 9 and 12 inches. Plus, you will receive instructions for 4 different quilt sizes, wallhanging, baby, twin and queen! These quilt sizes can easily be adapted to be as small or large as you desire, by using fewer or more blocks. A detailed supply list is provided for each quilt size, along with a free Brandy's key chain! So, let's review. 1 pattern to make 4 different sized quilts, acrylic templates included, free DVD of this show and a free key chain! How can you pass this up? Click the link and order today!
      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Monthly Sale
      Free shipping on this fabulous book by Kaye Wood!
      Read on for the review of this book below, by guest author Kim Noblin as printed in Bella Online.

      Everyone Can Quilt with Kaye Wood, offers projects and techniques that will make anyone, regardless of quilting experience, successful! With over 30 years of teaching experience and as hostess of her own quilt show, Ms. Wood has led thousands of quilters through the beginning steps of quilt making. She knows how to "make it happen" and she does just that, in this delightful book!

      Chapter 1 serves as an introduction and begins by helping you decide if you are a pointed or pointless quilter. Next, you'll find a list of the supplies that you will need to get started, along with some really good advice on how much fabric to buy, and how to feed your fabric stash. All this info is delivered with a nice blend of wit and wisdom. There are over 20 projects included in the book ranging from "No Problem" quilts to more complicated star patterns. There are small quilts, large quilts, pillows, potholders and table toppers. All patterns have accuracy built into the construction process, making them virtually fool-proof! If you've every watched Kaye's Quilting Friends on television, you've seen her use her Starmaker rulers to simplify the construction of her blocks. For the patterns in the book, Kaye has included paper templates, that will allow you to make your own Starmakers.

      As a bonus, there are lots of great tips, humorous stories and photographs, from Kaye's long career as a quilt teacher and television personality, that will have you chuckling while you are learning.

      I highly recommend this book for anyone who is just learning to quilt or who wants to learn an easier way to make quilts. I have no doubt that everyone CAN quilt with this wonderful book from Kaye Wood.
      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Share With Us
      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would like to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below and it will find a place in our newsletter.
      mailto:joyce@...?subject=sharewithus

      1) One day I realized that I had managed to collect a good many cream and sugar bowl sets. I was looking for something to keep a roll of stamps from getting lost on my desk. Out comes a sugar bowl, in goes the stamps, and the pretty, antique bowl looks nice on my desk. Since then I've used one for paper clips and little things that end up on my desk. In my sewing room, I took the thread spool and threaded the loose end through the spout of a cream pitcher! It's a perfect thread dispenser! Sugar bowls are used for pins, needles, buttons and beads. A small pin cushion could be made to fit inside a sugar bowl with or without a lid, but I haven't gotten around to that yet! I also use prescription bottles, one full of empty bobbins and one full of assorted, color filled bobbins! Perfect for taking to a guild meeting! Sally in VA

      2) My tip for getting blood out of fabric is to set an ice cube on top of the stain. Go away for a while and let it melt! When you get back, the stain will be gone! Yvonne in Renton, WA

      3) I buy vinyl placemats when I find them on sale, and cut my templates out of them. They work like a charm! Cecelia, Wayland, MO

      You Know You're a Quilter When...

      • Your child is 6 months old and has already been to a dozen quilt shows!
      • Driving 3 hours to go to a quilt store is not a problem.
      • The only number on your phone that is on speed dial, is the local quilt shop.
      • You start hiding the credit card bill so the hubby won't see all the charges to the quilt store.
      • Your fingertips are so rough you can't even pull on a pair of panty hose.
      • There's more fabric than food in your house.
      • You go to garage sales and look at the clothes, but not with the intention of wearing them.
      • You haven't balanced your checkbook in 5 years, but can calculated yardage for your project, with no problem at all.
      • You have more pictures in your wallet of quilts, than you do of your own kids or grandchildren.

      KayeWoodTV.com is here!
      Be the first of your friends to enjoy Kaye's Quilting Friends, right from your computer! The show you know and love can be accessed at the click of a mouse! You will find that Kaye and her guests provide exceptional TV programs, that offer a variety of quilting and sewing projects, for every skill level. Furthermore, you pick the right time for you to watch, since you can access Kaye's show anytime it's convenient for you! So what are you waiting for? Click that link and enjoy!

      Come cruise the Mediterranean with Kaye in 2007!
      Join Kaye Wood and Sew Many Places, for a great Mediterranean quilting cruise!

      If the thought of a European vacation is just what you need to end your summer, then you should think about coming on board the ship Carnival Freedom with Kaye Wood, for a quilting cruise! This affordable 13 day excursion will take you to such historic ports and Rome, Naples and Livorno, Italy! Check your Greek mythology in Athens, Katakolon and Rhodes, Greece! Plus, you'll also visit the exotic ports of Izmir and Istanbul, Turkey! If that's not enough, rub elbows literally with Kaye Wood, as she teaches you her quilting tips and techniques while you cruise! All in all, a better trip cannot be had, especially for the price! For more information or for reservations, call Sew Many Places at:
      (877)887-1188 or e-mail Jim West at
      http://www.sewmanyplaces.com

      Did You Know?
      Did you know that if you have a fabric and you're not sure what it's made of, you can do a simple burn test to determine what it is? Just use a small square of fabric and tweezers, and have a place to put your fabric as it is burning. You'll be surprised how distinct each fabric is, so read on.

      COTTON-When you light it, it burns with a steady flame and smells like burning leaves. The ash is soft and crumbles easily.
      LINEN-Takes longer to light and smells like burning paper or leaves. The ash is much like a cotton ash.
      SILK-Burns slowly and smells like hair or feathers burning. The ash is grayish and crumbles easily.
      WOOL-Sputters when trying to light and smells like burning feathers or hair. The ash is black and turns to powder when crushed.
      ACRYLIC-Burns and melts easily and smells kind of like vinegar or something acidic. The ash remnant will be hard like a black bead.
      NYLON-Melts and burns slowly and smells like burning celery. The ash is like a hard gray or brown bead.
      POLYESTER-Melts and burns at the same time and can bond quickly to any surface it drips on. The odor is sweet and kind of fruity and the ash is like a hard, black bead.
      RAYON-Burns very fast and smells like burning leaves or feathers. There will be very little ash residue.
      ACETATE-Burns and melts easily and smells like vinegar or something acidic. The ash will be a hard, black bead.

      A lot of the man made fibers, have the same distinctions and will be harder to categorize. When you try the burn test on a fabric blend, it is supposed to burn in the way each fabric would if it was an individual piece. This test is not as reliable with blends.

      Show & Tell
      Check out these beautiful quilts from our readers! Thanks to all of you that share your quilts and stories with us! I know everyone enjoys them
      as much as I do!

      Donna Lea, my dearest friend of over 40 years, made this quilt for me as a gift. We would sit and sew and talk, while our kids played. Donna Lea lives in PA now, but we are still best friends. She is an accomplished quilter and has won ribbons for her work. I have told her many time how I envy the beautiful work she does. I cried, I was so excited when I received this quilt and it now hangs in my living room. Every time I see it, I think of how blessed I am to have Donna Lea as a best friend.
      This quilt was made by my 5 year old daughter Kaitlyn. She free form cut the flower stems and appliquéd the whole thing in 3 days. She also put rhinestones on the dragonfly for eyes. She won a super ribbon at our bi-annual guild, quilt show. I am so proud of her. Stephanie

      The quilt with ducks on it, I made for our friends new grandson. I saw a little duck in a coloring book and made the appliqué's from that, and then designed the quilt. It was given to them at a baby shower. It sure received a lot of "oohs and aahs" and lots of people wanted to see it up close for themselves. The other quilt label was printed on the computer, using printable fabric, and hand appliquéd on. It was also sewn on with the quilting I did, after the quilt was layered. It is a pattern from Fons & Porter. Ann

      If you'd like to check out more wonderful quilts made by our readers, just click the link!

      If you'd like to submit your quilt to our Show & Tell page, just e-mail your picture and story, 50 words or less please, to Terrye at this address:
      mailto:terrye@...?subject=show_n_tell

      Another option is to mail a non-returnable picture along with your story to this address;

      Kaye's New Blog
      It's all new and written totally by Kaye, for you! Keep in touch with Kaye and what is going on in the quilting world and her life!
      http://kayes-quilting-friends.blogspot.com/

      Kaye Wood Inc. Catalog
      Our brand new catalog is available online, anytime, anywhere! Convenient shopping day or night!

      Well gang, I guess that's all for this week. Let us know if you need anything or if we can help you out in any way! From all of us at Kaye Wood Inc., keep smiling, keep loving and above all....keep stitching!

      Kaye Wood, Inc.
      PO Box 456, West Branch, MI 48661

      (800)248-5293, Monday thru Friday, 9-5, EST

      West Branch, MI  48661

      Phone:  1_800_248_KAYE(5293)

      Website:  http://www.kayewood.com

      New: Watch Kaye's Quilting Friends on your computer! Just go to our home page.